PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 advice

Paul053
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi folks been wanting to get a 9mm glock for over a year now and was deciding between the 17 and 19. I'm 6'4" 230 lbs with an XML sized hand. Went to the la gun club to test drive both pistols. When I first loaded up the 19 I pinched the hell out of my palm in between the magazine floor plate and the base of the grip because my palm sticks out below the grip enough. Through out the time at the range whenever I would reload the 19, I would remove my pinkie and ring finger from the grip in order to slam a fresh magazine in, which makes me question the stability of the gun for me. Is there a way to train this out for all the guys with big hands? Or should I just go with a 17? Main purpose of the gun would be home defense gun with the possibility of a ccw in the future.

Thanks for the help.

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 11:43 AM
You can get a 19 and use 17 magazines with a grip adapter.

daNkiest
08-15-2012, 11:44 AM
You answered your own question there buddy. If the 19 is giving you issues or uncomfortable get the 17. Home defense I would get a shot gun. Either moss berg 500 or Remington 870.

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Something like this:

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-37153-x-grip-glock-19-23-magazine-grip-adapter-black.aspx

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 11:45 AM
However being a guy your size I would imagine the 17 would suit you a little better.

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 11:47 AM
You answered your own question there buddy. If the 19 is giving you issues or uncomfortable get the 17. Home defense I would get a shot gun. Either moss berg 500 or Remington 870.

Maverick 88 works too

Paul053
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I figured as much. Being the research geek that I am I had to run it past the experts on calguns. Thanks fellas.

Sam
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I can get smashed too. I usually do the same thing that you did, take my pinky off the gun when I reload. I haven't noticed any stability problems when reloading under speed.

However, the Glock 17 would be a better option if you were going to use it for home defense.

DArBad
08-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Go with the Glock 17. You can also CCW it with ease.

Paul053
08-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I thought about the grip adapter but it doesnt address my issue. My palm doesn't extend that much past the mag floor plate when it is in the grip but it's when I reload my pudgy hand gets caught in between the grip and floor plate

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 12:11 PM
You'll definitely be better off going with the G17. I went with the 19, which fits my hands perfect as well as having the ideal size, but after shooting the 17 several weeks ago I must say the 17 has slightly better ergos and is slightly "easier" to shoot precisely. Both are extremely accurate

glockman19
08-15-2012, 12:13 PM
With such large hands...have you tried the Beretta 92FS? What I don't like about it is the large grip.

If the Glock 19 bothers you don't get it. Shoot the 17. If you feel comfortable with it great...if not...look for the gun that fits your hand and buy the one that you shoot the best and feel the most comfortable with.

Kempfer
08-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi folks been wanting to get a 9mm glock for over a year now and was deciding between the 17 and 19. I'm 6'4" 230 lbs with an XML sized hand. Went to the la gun club to test drive both pistols. When I first loaded up the 19 I pinched the hell out of my palm in between the magazine floor plate and the base of the grip because my palm sticks out below the grip enough. Through out the time at the range whenever I would reload the 19, I would remove my pinkie and ring finger from the grip in order to slam a fresh magazine in, which makes me question the stability of the gun for me. Is there a way to train this out for all the guys with big hands? Or should I just go with a 17? Main purpose of the gun would be home defense gun with the possibility of a ccw in the future.

Thanks for the help.

G19 is a fad gun, it really doesn't do anything significant over the G17 other than it is harder to shoot. With your size I would go with the G17 but I bet you could conceal a G34 which is probably the gun you would want to get.

If I were you I would shoot a G34 and a G17 first before you decide. I would not go with the G19.

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Fad gun lol

Paul053
08-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I've shot the 92fs before and realize that I don't care for the da/sa triggers. I have a full size g21 that I love.

Actually I do love that 34. But thought for cc that the barrel would be too big. But then again if guys say that a g17 an be concealed then the 34 should be too?

glockman19
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I've shot the 92fs before and realize that I don't care for the da/sa triggers. I have a full size g21 that I love.

Then get the 17

Shapes And Colors
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Paul, I'd go with the 17 in your case. Too bad you aren't closer, I have a 17 that you'd be more than welcome to shoot.

Paul053
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Paul, I'd go with the 17 in your case. Too bad you aren't closer, I have a 17 that you'd be more than welcome to shoot.

I really appreciate the offer! I've test drove the 17 at the same time as the 19

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Go buy it. Now.

08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I too have very large hands. Get the 17 or possibility a 34. You will be much happier.

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 1:03 PM
Another option would be to add a magwell to your 19

ElDub1950
08-15-2012, 1:20 PM
G19 is a fad gun, it really doesn't do anything significant over the G17 other than it is harder to shoot. With your size I would go with the G17 but I bet you could conceal a G34 which is probably the gun you would want to get.

If I were you I would shoot a G34 and a G17 first before you decide. I would not go with the G19.

grip on the 34 is the same length as the 17

Paul053
08-15-2012, 1:37 PM
I'm a 6'4 230lbs nerdy asian dude with upgradeitis....good thing I got into guns and bikes instead of drugs and crime. I'd be so ****ed.

Shenaniguns
08-15-2012, 1:53 PM

Thanks for the help.

I say go with the G17, there are plenty of good holsters that will allow you to carry it concealed.

tbhracing
08-15-2012, 2:05 PM
Get the 17.

SVRider
08-15-2012, 2:08 PM
It sounds like it will basically be a HD/range pistol. The CCW sounds very tentative right now. That being the case, I'd say get the more comfortable and easier shooting for you 17 and shoot the heck out of it. If you actually later need it for CCW, see if it would work. If no, AT THAT TIME, reevaluate the suitability of the 17 for you personally for CCW.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but based on what I am hearing, buy based on what you would be most comfortable using now, and don't worry about "maybe for later" right now.

Just my $0.02.

Paul053
08-15-2012, 2:12 PM
It sounds like it will basically be a HD/range pistol. The CCW sounds very tentative right now. That being the case, I'd say get the more comfortable and easier shooting for you 17 and shoot the heck out of it. If you actually later need it for CCW, see if it would work. If no, AT THAT TIME, reevaluate the suitability of the 17 for you personally for CCW.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but based on what I am hearing, buy based on what you would be most comfortable using now, and don't worry about "maybe for later" right now.

Just my $0.02.

Good point. I think we all get into that "what might happen" frame of mind instead of focusing on our needs in the present.

hossb7
08-15-2012, 2:13 PM
I figured as much. Being the research geek that I am I had to run it past the experts on calguns. Thanks fellas.

I don't think anyone on here is as much as an expert as you are on your own body lol.

If the gun is causing you pain and people said to buy it, would you?

SVRider
08-15-2012, 2:30 PM
Good point. I think we all get into that "what might happen" frame of mind instead of focusing on our needs in the present.

"What if" has cost me a lot of money through the years that I later found out I should not have spent. Hopefully I learned a little something along the way. ;)

Rent and shoot both at the same time one more time and decide which would work best for your current needs. If/when you ever manage to get the magic license, based on your experience from now until then, you may decide you want something totally different for CCW. You won't know for sure until you are there.

I have both and honestly I can shoot the 19 faster/more accurately than the 17. Just so happens that it fits MY hand better. Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy.

scglock
08-15-2012, 3:14 PM
If I were you I'd go with the 17 since you have large hands. They difference in size isn't much

Shapes And Colors
08-15-2012, 4:05 PM
I really appreciate the offer! I've test drove the 17 at the same time as the 19

I missed that part of your post. My apologies. Good luck on your gun purchase. :D

chonkey
08-15-2012, 5:00 PM
I've pinched my palm also doing speed reloads on a G19. Got under the skin bleeding on two occasions. Gotta be careful when reloading it. G17, no issues. Palm is out of the way.

USMC 82-86
08-15-2012, 6:58 PM
If it doesn't fit your hands I would find a gun that does fit. I am 6'2" and 270 lbs and I have large hands. I like the G19 and G23 and I too as someone else mentioned shoot them faster and more accurately than the 17 or 22. You have to find the one you like best.

locosway
08-15-2012, 8:54 PM

Thanks for the help.

I'm 6'4" and 260lbs with huge hands. The 19 shoots well for me, and you can pinch yourself when reloading. It just comes down to you being aware of the gun and how to operate it. You should know which gun you're shooting and work it appropriately. Certainly I can't run a G20 like I would a G36, so you have to keep that in mind.

Other than that, the G19 is an excellent gun, and the most versatile of the Glock lineup for people. However, I find myself liking the G17 the most, simply because it's a bit bigger, longer sight radius, and it holds 19 rounds in the mag. If I was going to CCW, then that's a different story.