PDA

View Full Version : People don't like target shooting?

Kazaam
08-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I've seen a few different people on various forums say that they don't like/got tired of shooting targets. Is this a common thing among "veteran" shooters? Getting ready to buy my first handgun and I certainly hope I don't get tired of it.

I don't think many ranges around here allow shooting any, uh, objects and I'm not too sure about steel.

SO...can/did you get tired of target shooting? :eek:

Press Check
08-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Between paper, Shoot-N-C targets, steel targets and reactive targets, I don't see how anyone could get tired of shooting.

MXRider
08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Yes, going to a public range and shooting paper from a bench is very boring and for most shooters a complete waste of ammo.

Shooting reactive targets, shooting on the move and shooting from cover is much more fun and better practice if you ever need to use your firearm in a defensive role. There are plenty of local clubs, training classes and competitions that are very easy to get started in and a lot of fun.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Press Check
08-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Sometimes, you just have to get creative with paper targets:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dot-torture-target.pdf

NiteQwill
08-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't even shoot at a [static] range anymore unless I'm testing some new loads out. I shoot primarily in local matches. Everything else is a bore to me IMO.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I shoot paper, then switch to frozen water bottles, maybe some fruit, the boring part is cleaning but it's gotta be done

redcliff
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
My favorite targets are steel reactive self-resetting targets, but I don't currently have a place to set up and shoot mine.

I don't mind shooting paper targets though; I compete with myself. I find just about any shooting fun even after 46 years of doing it.

Brandon04GT
08-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Well I can say shooting my 10/22 at a paper target indoors gets boring quick.

HarryGun
08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah target shooting is a lot of fun if you are having a competition of shooting with your friends. If you are doing it for a practice it gets boring after some time.

1000stars
08-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Take it out in the dessert. Shooting a rifle indoors is boring.

Brandon04GT
08-14-2012, 11:37 PM

I want to...but I don't know any nearby spots to shoot at. Maybe Angeles?

lordres
08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
I never liked shooting paper. Steel Madness is what got me back into shooting.

safewaysecurity
08-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Yeah it's kinda boring using rhetoric same guns and no rapid fire. I with I had some steel targets and some blm land closeby to do some real shooting. Maybe some fun long range shots. The worst part is cleaning the gun afterwards. Especially if you shot corrosive.

SwiftWiz
08-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Go to burro shooting range. They allow you to shoot anything biodegradable. The most fun item I've shot was a head of lettuce on a wooden spike using a 30-06. Made a huge mess! Lol. It gave alot of people on the line a good laugh.

Rightwinger
08-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Not yet.. I shoot at metal & moving targets (none animals) helps keep it fun.. I agree w/CZsp-01: cleaning up is the boring part..

sirgiles
08-15-2012, 12:00 AM
different strokes for different folks.
after awhile, even running and gunning gets boring for some of us. its just nice to mix it up once in awhile.

kf6tac
08-15-2012, 12:02 AM
I can see how it could get boring if you're always locked into one lane, shooting paper targets at ranges that don't allow drawing from holsters, rapid fire, or even (in some outdoor ranges I've been to) anything that vaguely resembles a humanoid outline on your paper target. I get jealous all the time of people who are within easy reach of BLM land.

LAKings22
08-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Medal targets are fun to shoot. The best part about shooting is getting away for a few hours and clearing your mind from reality. I don't take all my guns at one time. For example last week I took my AK and next time it will be just My glock and me. I switch it up and it keeps it fun. If you ever get bored, then it's time to buy somthing new ��. Another option is trying out different shooting ranges every now and then.

Bill Carson
08-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Yeah target shooting is a lot of fun if you are having a competition of shooting with your friends. If you are doing it for a practice it gets boring after some time.

This

caldude
08-15-2012, 7:49 AM

+1 Shooting is always more fun when you bring friends. With all of the various target types out there, including the new Birchwood Casey game targets, it makes shooting more interesting. I've shot some Tic-Tac-Toe targets (Targetz.com) with friends, and those kinds of competitions quickly prove who's the better shooter.

OldShooter32
08-15-2012, 8:19 AM
After fifty years of it, I can say NO. The challenge is there and if you are bored, you are too close to the target!

ZNinerFan
08-15-2012, 8:24 AM
I always have a great time when I go target shooting indoors/outdoors with friends/folks who are as enthusiastic about shooting as I am.

Going by myself, it gets old after an hour. What I really need to do is find a biweekly competition in my area that I can sign up for.

mkane
08-15-2012, 8:29 AM
different strokes for different folks.
We shoot at paper 3-5 times a week, seeking that perfect score.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/MKane63t/001-33.jpg

23 Blast
08-15-2012, 8:51 AM
Reactive targets are fun, but since most of the ranges I've been to don't allow that, then yes, simply punching holes in paper does get quite boring. It would be like doing nothing but practicing 6' putts all day on the golf course and never doing anything else.

Capybara
08-15-2012, 8:59 AM
I find that shooters who only shoot handguns, only shoot rifles, they tend to get bored because it is boring. I like to mix it up, shoot trap one week, shoot long range rifle the next week, then shoot handguns the following week. I am never bored, I only realize how deficient I am at becoming a good shot. I think in another 10-20 years, before I die, I'll probably get pretty good at all three ;-)

If I only shot handguns, that would get boring to me pretty quickly. But handguns are a nice break from rifles and shotguns. Just depends on what grabs you. My favorite is shooting clays, followed by 100-300 yard rifle, followed by handguns.

joelogic
08-15-2012, 8:59 AM
I only target shoot to zero my guns, the rest is action shooting.

m98
08-15-2012, 9:25 AM
Bcuz u said ur a noob to guns Please take this Advice: Take everything u read off the nternez forums with 5 grains of salt. Not everything is true. A lot of BS in these gun forums.

Bottomline: just shooting is fun. If the range permits stuff to be shot do it as it will make it even more exciting

JeremyS
08-15-2012, 12:17 PM
I admit it can get boring just shooting at a motionless paper target at a range where you cannot move around. I have not been to a range like that in a long time, and have no plans to do it unless I have a brand new gun, want to put some rounds through it, and don't have the ability to go somewhere fun (out in the woods, etc).

There are some fun paper targets though, especially if you have a friend or two. Check out the games series from GunFun! http://www.gunfun.com/cart/Games_Series/

I'm going to paste a couple of them here, but there are more on the site (linked above). Each one of these has its own rules for playing and some of them have multiple suggested gameplay options:

http://www.gunfun.com/cart/images/P/11160Sink-a-Ship-.jpg

http://www.gunfun.com/cart/images/P/11010.jpg

http://www.gunfun.com/cart/images/P/minidarts.jpg

^^^ they also sell target stands, IPSC/IDPA style targets, etc

Our vendor http://www.ar500-targets.com/ has some affordable steel options.

CK_32
08-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't know whos telling you that by I'd shoot dirt.. He'll that's all I did when I first shot a gun lol

CK_32
08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
JeremyS

Those targets are awesome!! What's the sizes of them and the battle ship? I've been looking at good 100 to 200 yard targets to keep the fun with my and some buddies with my 700..

Kodemonkey
08-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I got bored of punching holes in paper with handguns. Then I found IDPA and I can't wait to go shooting. There are many different ways for people to have fun in shooting sports. I like the run and gun stuff, drawing from holsters and time pressure. I also like the competitive aspect to trying to beat other people in the club.

I also like taking classes where you are doing more than just marksmanship.

If you find yourself getting bored, there are many ways to fix it - you just need to seek it out. It helps if you have a friend that may be already into it, but most of the fine folks here will help you try to learn something new.

MigNoche
08-15-2012, 12:40 PM

+1000! Once you ditch the range for the Desert you will never want to return.

RugerNo1
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
If you are bored with static paper punching, all you have to do is compete! I shoot Sporting Clays, USPSA, and NRA Highpower/F-Class. Diversify and you will not get bored again. However, you will spend endless hours researching how to be faster, more accurate, and finding which gadget will help more. It is a continuous and wallet draining cycle, but so fun and satisfying.

DTatum
08-15-2012, 1:07 PM
It's a matter of progression... If you're a new shooter, then static paper is where you start... Or at least its one place to start. I'd assume that after you master that you would get bored without something new to challenge and grow your skills... I'm sure Gabby Douglas doesn't hang out doing cart wheels for fun anymore either.

But skipping the range and fundamentals is a fast road to failure. I see a lot of obvious veteran shooters yammering on about how boring it is and making suggestions based on their skill and experience. Just don't forget that not everyone is as skilled or has your experience, and trial by fire is never the safest or best way to learn anything... I know it's sometimes necessary... but simply for the sake of "fun" it's never justified.

Fishslayer
08-15-2012, 1:18 PM

Sure. It's also VERY cool, tactical and high speed low drag to tell everybody how dull you find shooting at paper. True operators would never be seen doing such a thing.

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 1:35 PM
I cannot comprehend how shooting at anything can become boring to some of you all. Sounds like a form of depression

JNunez23
08-15-2012, 2:09 PM
ANYTHING can become boring if done to the point of repetition. But shooting may be the exception! ;)

tal3nt
08-15-2012, 2:10 PM
ANYTHING can become boring if done to the point of repetition. But shooting may be the exception! ;)

I can think of one other thing :)

elSquid
08-15-2012, 2:17 PM
I'm not good enough of a shot to find shooting at bullseyes boring. :(

-- Michael

Bill I Am
08-15-2012, 2:28 PM
Try one of the various clubs. I like deadwoodboys.org. They shoot out in Piru. GREAT fun...ask at your local range as they often have a rundown of the various clubs around. Also, check in at your local gun store that is not a Wallyworld.

Yes, shooting at paper can get boring after awhile...shooting on the run while hitting steel is a BLAST!

Fadedline
08-15-2012, 2:45 PM
Nope doesn't get boring here. I love punching tiny groups on paper. But it is nice to switch it up.

JeremyS
08-15-2012, 2:48 PM
JeremyS

Those targets are awesome!! What's the sizes of them and the battle ship? I've been looking at good 100 to 200 yard targets to keep the fun with my and some buddies with my 700..
They are pretty awesome. I got a bunch of those games ones plus some "sight in" targets for the ol' scoped rifle. They have various sizes on the website, so check it out. If you specifically want to know how long the battleship actually is on the target shoot me a PM and I'll pull one of mine out and measure it for you and will respond back in this thread. EDIT: actually, the games ones are 19" x 24" and the aircraft carrier on the target is about 16" long.

They have targets up to 24" x 45" but it looks like the games ones are only 19x24. Anyway, browse the site because there's a ton on there.

This one is a larger size:

http://www.gunfun.com/cart/images/P/bango.gif

All that said, I've been shooting an awful lot of trap and sporting clays and a lot less of pistol and rifle target shooting. Will start doing more action pistol type events though because I'm better at that than shotgun sports and I enjoy it more, it's just harder to schedule.

wjc
08-15-2012, 4:12 PM
Between paper targets, skeet/trap, and actual hunting I rarely get bored.

chrisf
08-15-2012, 5:10 PM
I've been getting pretty bored shooting paper as of late. But when I do go out to blm, It helps me out for a while. Closest blm that I am aware of is about 110-120 miles away. And I hate long drives!

beretta929mm
08-15-2012, 6:15 PM
At places that don't allow rapid firing, double taps, drawing from holsters, etc, it can get boring.

Buddhabelly
08-15-2012, 8:47 PM

Try putting 5 overlapping holes less than .3" ctc at 100 yards. The journey to get there won't be boring at all.

Buddhabelly
08-15-2012, 8:49 PM
I try to shoot as small a group as the 70 years old guys at the range. Never gets old.

Malmon
08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Get tired of target shooting? Not likely to happen, been doing it every week for more than 25 years. Making small holes on paper is a good stress reliever.

d4v0s
08-15-2012, 10:46 PM
I've seen a few different people on various forums say that they don't like/got tired of shooting targets. Is this a common thing among "veteran" shooters? Getting ready to buy my first handgun and I certainly hope I don't get tired of it.

I don't think many ranges around here allow shooting any, uh, objects and I'm not too sure about steel.

Shot at a range a handful of times, always less than an hour because I got bored.

Started shooting IDPA and wont go back. I also have some large outdoor forest areas to shoot that I set up my own courses on, I use rifles, bolt actions, pistols and shottys. Have my own steel, fruit, cardboard and clays to keep it interesting.

I cannot stand static shooting at boring static targets, not like bench resting doesnt have its place, but thats usually once or twice per shooting trip, the rest is on the move against balloons and all that.

santamonica9
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
i dont believe you can get bored; you think they really hit bullseyes enough to get bored?!? stop shooting from two feet please

Cato
08-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Shooting paper always seemed a waste, especially when shooting bigger calibers. With a .22, it's fun. But I've always felt wastefull shooting 30 06 or 7.62 through a millimeter of paper. At most SoCal ranges, you don't have much choise though.

fullrearview
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't even shoot at a [static] range anymore unless I'm testing some new loads out. I shoot primarily in local matches. Everything else is a bore to me IMO.

I agree. Static shooting gets boring and it's unrealistic.

Shapes And Colors
08-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Variety is the spice of life. If the only option I had was static paper punching at set distances, I think I'd get bored sooner rather than later.

INFAMOUS762X39
08-16-2012, 1:04 AM
Shooting paper always seemed a waste, especially when shooting bigger calibers. With a .22, it's fun. But I've always felt wastefull shooting 30 06 or 7.62 through a millimeter of paper. At most SoCal ranges, you don't have much choise though.

I agree.

My friends and I can't stand the Ranges anymore. That's why we make the extra hour and a half drive to our regular camping spot, middle of nowhere, where it's legal to shoot. As long as you keep the wilderness tidy you can set up anything you want to shoot.

Slicendice
08-16-2012, 2:09 AM
Shoot ipsc/uspsa, 3-gun, steel madness, something competitive... If that doesnt keep ya goin.. Buy another gun... There's always something new to try... Ever since I started ipsc/uspsa, I find it harder to just shoot a static paper target, unless I have a gun that I just want to shoot, or if i'm testing reloads...

socal147
08-16-2012, 5:41 AM
I belong to the Apple Valley Gun Club. We have an archery range, indoor rimfire range, rifle range with metal targets at 200/300, 2 shotgun w/clays, and three pistol ranges. You can use the clubs metal targets at the pistol ranges anytime you feel the need. At first I wasnt sure if a club was right for me. But now I go almost every day I can to shoot clays and either some pistol or rifle. The best investment in shooting that I have made. And I have yet to get bored.... :)