PDA

View Full Version : AR7 AW if asseembled in wrong order?

justjeff
08-14-2012, 9:19 PM
Was comparing ar7 to 10/22 TD and seen the video below.

I'm sure you can fire the AR7 without a stock would this play into CA AW law? I do not have an AR7 and was directing the question of those that do or that know if it could happen.

Thanks and sorry if this is a DUPE or has been posted a million times I can't find it.
GO TO 1:34
KkGRRoZyz34

lazyworm
08-14-2012, 9:44 PM
No. Only centerfire rifles may be AWs. Rimfire by definition can't be.

bohoki
08-14-2012, 9:46 PM
yea ive often wondered about that since the oal is less than 26 without the stock

justjeff
08-14-2012, 9:50 PM
yea ive often wondered about that since the oal is less than 26 without the stock

This is what I was thinking,
Or could it be a pistol w/o the stock on it and then fall under the mag outside the pg rule? Like the charger?

1000stars
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
No. Only centerfire rifles may be AWs. Rimfire by definition can't be.

Not yet. Rimfires are next.

bohoki
08-14-2012, 10:07 PM
This is what I was thinking,
Or could it be a pistol w/o the stock on it and then fall under the mag outside the pg rule? Like the charger?

well you cant make a pistol out of a rifle so it would be a sbr without the stock

but i think this is one of those intended use situations like say folding stocks that leave rifles under 26 inches

now i'm only discussing batf rules ca laws are incoherent

Aldemar
08-15-2012, 2:39 PM
Not the AW law as it is a rimfire. However, if you look at the Semi-auto flowchart, length is the first parameter, regardless of primer location. If you assemble the barrel to the action, I would think you have created a SBR. I always assemble the receiver into the stock (it won't fire in this configuration) then attach the barrel.