PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially hooked!

Chaozu
08-14-2012, 9:55 PM
So I took a skeet shooting clinic a few weeks back and really had a great time. The only gun I had was a remy 870 with a fixed full choke that wasn't so great for skeet so I picked up a cheap stoeger over under. I've been doing okay with trap but finally got my new gun the other and took it out the for the first time for some skeet. My first time out I got 13, 14, 12 for my first three games. Better than I thought I would that's for sure. I went again today and shot 16, 17, 18. I had such a blast smashing those clays, especially those doubles! The gun ended up working out pretty good, not bad for a cheapo. I need to work on stations 3, 4, and 5 more that's for sure. I have a feeling I'm gonna be looking into some reloading equipment in the future... hahaha! Anyone ever shoot down at Metcalf and wouldn't mind giving some pointers it would be more than appreciated. Anyways, I'm hooked, and I'm afraid the only cure is more cow bell!

Thefeeder
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
FISH ON! GRAB THE NET!

There is another Clinic on the 25th @ Metcalf...we can work on 3,4,5

Chaozu
08-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I'd love to but I'm going to the Giants game that day. Next one for sure!

bsg
08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
glad you're having fun at the range; enjoy.

CK_32
08-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Not to thread jack but to go one your OP is switching guns really that much more effective?

I've been on the fence to drop some decent coin on a O/U in the $700 to $100 range but don't want to take it seriously but would like to get some strings going.. Currently using a 28" 870 as well..

Does it really make that much a difference going to a decent O/U? I feel like its 80% operator and I just need work but in the back of my mind I'm always thinking how green is that grass over there.....

BigDogatPlay
08-15-2012, 7:15 AM
Does it really make that much a difference going to a decent O/U? I feel like its 80% operator and I just need work but in the back of my mind I'm always thinking how green is that grass over there.....

The O/U is far more suited to the requirements of skeet than a pump, so in the strictest sense, yes it can indeed make a significant difference. It's about having the right tool for the job.

You're also right that it's the guy behind the gun, in the end, that is the real dividing line.

Chaozu
08-15-2012, 7:18 AM
I really don't think the gun matters too much, as long as you have a proper choke tube for what you're doing. My 870 has a fixed full choke so I just got a cheap gun that had interchangeable chokes. A pump is obviously slower for doubles but does the job just the same once you squeeze the trigger

Thefeeder
08-15-2012, 9:07 AM
just made the conection....Walkins and SNL......LMAF He is the best!

Back to pumps, definite operator. Its all operator no matter what you use.

If you understand gun fit and get good at.. mount, smooth swing, focus on the clay, leads, trigger pull, follow through, keeping your cheek weld, then tagets will break.

On doubles: (Refering to American Skeet)

A shooter need to break the first clay on doubles at a spot (break point) so that there time to break the second. Pump users just pump the gun as they trandsition from the first to the second clay....A O/U or Semi will not speed up your transition, it just eminates the pump part.

IF your not doing all of these things....a different gun will not help one bit.

mcmikeblues7
08-15-2012, 1:57 PM
A good gun will not make a bad shooter good, but a good shooter better

Mana4real
08-15-2012, 2:18 PM
Pumps can be used. When I tried a pump on skeet I noticed on doubles that I'm still waiting on the second bird to come to me. Having to cycle the gun just made it a little more fun. But I really do like shooting O/U's for skeet or even trap. But that's just how I feel.