PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Questions! Recoil Buffer? Dry Firing?

INFAMOUS762X39
08-14-2012, 8:33 PM
I have a few questions to my fellow 1911 owners.

Do you use a Recoil Buffer?

What do you use to practice dry firing your 1911?

Reserved: For future Questions.

I am 400 Rounds into my first 1911 Kimber TLE II "Range Report coming soon", since day once I've installed Wilson Combat Shok Buffer with no issues. I lied, two FTF's on last round but I believe it was the ammo+magazine's fault. Do you use buffers or just simply don't trust them?

Dry Firing, I simply use a thick/tiny O-Ring. I seat it behind the firing pin/rear slide. Awesome Tip I learn from a Sig Armorer. Works perfect, saves me money from buying snap caps which I know I will lose over time. What's your method?

XVIga_Rob
08-14-2012, 8:54 PM
I have the same gun, with about the same round count, and use 47D's. I also ditched the FLGR for a GI length guide rod & plug, and installed a pair of VZ DD's. Love this gun!!

When dry firing, I rest a dime on the top of the slide. Dry firing will not hurt your 1911. I have some snap caps, but lent them to my brother. I really only use them to test or tune an extracter.

Never used a recoil buffer in any 1911.

sirgiles
08-14-2012, 8:59 PM
the recoil buffer melted in my friends les baer. it was a pain to disassemble.

can't remember how many thousand times (guessing) i've dry fired my 1911 without any snap caps. working just fine.

SilverTauron
08-14-2012, 9:04 PM
Recoil buffer?

Perhaps my senses are off on this, but I find shooting .45 ACP to be quite pleasant from the 1911 as is. Anything's better than a Glock 23 compact shooting stout .40 S&W loads.

InGrAM
08-14-2012, 9:22 PM
No need for a recoil buffer but I still use them for my Colt LW Commander because it came with one originally. They need to be replaced quite a bit when shooting the gun on a regular basis but I don't shoot it on a regular basis.

Dry firing will not hurt anything. But I use a casing + bullet with a hole drilled though the base of the cartridge, no gun powder and a eraser as a primer. A home made snap cap essentially.

jessegpresley
08-14-2012, 9:24 PM
I pulled the full length guide rod and Shok Buff out of my Wilson, and put in a GI rod instead. I also took the FLGR out of my NHC.

Some people like Shok Buffs, they don't seem to do anything for me. I dry fire without snap caps. 2 things I would recommend for a new 1911 owner would be to not manually insert a round into the chamber by hand, and do not let the slide go forward without a loaded magazine in the gun. Enjoy your Kimber.

Press Check
08-14-2012, 9:25 PM
I have a few questions to my fellow 1911 owners.

Do you use a Recoil Buffer?

What do you use to practice dry firing your 1911?

Reserved: For future Questions.

I am 400 Rounds into my first 1911 Kimber TLE II "Range Report coming soon", since day once I've installed Wilson Combat Shok Buffer with no issues. I lied, two FTF's on last round but I believe it was the ammo+magazine's fault. Do you use buffers or just simply don't trust them?

Dry Firing, I simply use a thick/tiny O-Ring. I seat it behind the firing pin/rear slide. Awesome Tip I learn from a Sig Armorer. Works perfect, saves me money from buying snap caps which I know I will lose over time. What's your method?

Regarding the recoil buffer, I haven't used one, but not opposed either. Tons of conflicting reports and reviews about them, so I remain indifferent. Personal rule of thumb is, I try to keep components that have the potential to disinegrate and create malfunction out of my pistol.

No need to use snap caps with a 1911. If anything, you can replace the stamped FPS with a FPS made from steel bar stock, assuming that we're talking about a production pistol.

INFAMOUS762X39
08-14-2012, 9:52 PM
Interesting facts. Thanks for the input everyone. Also why is everyone ditching their FLGR for a GI Rod? Am I missing out on something?

For now the buffers I use are rock solid, I also use buffers in my Springfield M1A "300rds+" and Saiga AK "5000rds+". Never any issues.

Recoil buffer?

Perhaps my senses are off on this, but I find shooting .45 ACP to be quite pleasant from the 1911 as is. Anything's better than a Glock 23 compact shooting stout .40 S&W loads.

A recoil buffer is meant to reduce wear/tear when the slide cycles against frame, it has nothing to do with reducing your recoil.

Press Check
08-14-2012, 9:54 PM
A recoil buffer is meant to reduce wear/tear when the slide cycles against frame, it has nothing to do with reducing your recoil.

According to sources, it reduces felt recoil, and I can certainly understand why. As with anything else, definitely subject to debate.

9mmrevolver
08-14-2012, 9:55 PM
Dry fire mine all the time with out snap cap. Been thinking about getting a buffer being I have an aluminum frame

XVIga_Rob
08-14-2012, 9:59 PM
FLGR's work fine. They are just not needed. Personally, I don't care for them either. Also, no 'tool' required to field strip.

Press Check
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Interesting facts. Thanks for the input everyone. Also why is everyone ditching their FLGR for a GI Rod? Am I missing out on something?

Weight reduction, truer to the original design, cleaner look, easy field-stripping, take your pick. On the opposite end, some would argue that the FLGR slightly reduces muzzle-flip, prevents the recoil spring from binding when the slide cycles, etc.

Depending on what I'm using the pistol for, I switch between both set-ups. At home, GI. At the range, FLGR.

redcliff
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
No need for a recoil buffer but I still use them for my Colt LW Commander because it came with one originally. They need to be replaced quite a bit when shooting the gun on a regular basis but I don't shoot it on a regular basis.

I've never seen (nor heard of) a Colt 1911 equipped with a recoil buffer/shok buff from the factory, so I presume you purchased yours through PPT/Consignment?

While I'm generally indifferent to recoil buffers/shok buffs on range guns, I personally would not use one on a carry pistol, especially one with a shorter than normal slide travel already like a Commander since the shok buff would shorten the slide travel even more.

However, Wilson Combat sticks one in just about everything they make.

walmart_ar15
08-14-2012, 11:26 PM
I use buffer in all my range toys. Why beat them up when not necessary? One draw back with the buffer is that with some slides, it will not allow slide release just by pulling the slide back (ie, you'll need to manually press the slide release)

I also don't dry fire any pistol. I'm not worry about the FPS, but I do worry about the fire pin and what the pin stops against inside the slide. At min, you'll wear out your firing pin spring. Granted that it will take A LOT of dry firing to do damage, but again why beat them up when not necessary? A proper snap cap has mechanism to absorb the forward movement of the firing pin.

Just 0.02

InGrAM
08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I've never seen (nor heard of) a Colt 1911 equipped with a recoil buffer/shok buff from the factory, so I presume you purchased yours through PPT/Consignment?

While I'm generally indifferent to recoil buffers/shok buffs on range guns, I personally would not use one on a carry pistol, especially one with a shorter than normal slide travel already like a Commander since the shok buff would shorten the slide travel even more.

However, Wilson Combat sticks one in just about everything they make.

Well, it was bought brand new in 1967 and it was in there when it was bought. I don't know if a store clerk put it in there but I doubt it.

redcliff
08-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Well, it was bought brand new in 1967 and it was in there when it was bought. I don't know if a store clerk put it in there but I doubt it.

Interesting; Wilson claims Armand Swenson invented them in the 70's: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=373502 I personally first heard about them in the late 70's when I doing IPSC. Wilson doesn't recommend them for less than 5" slides apparently.