PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to shotguns... Is the Big 5 Mossberg 500 Combo a fit?

DisturbedAle
08-14-2012, 7:31 PM
Hi all,

As a potential new shotgun owner, I am interested in the Mossberg 500 Combo from Big 5 for $300 - 10% coupon for $270 + tax/fees.

I don't know much about chokes, but the sales rep said it did have an adjustable choke set. Is this a good fit for a new shooter?

Thanks in advance.

SwPx4
08-14-2012, 8:22 PM
For the price, it isn't bad. But I lean more to the Remington 870.

I'm not a huge pump action person, but that depends on what you want it for... If you start shooting trap or what not, I think you will out grow the mossy pretty quick.

But, it is always nice to have a solid backup. The mossy is nothing of not reliable.

RomPirate
08-14-2012, 9:17 PM
When i got the combo, the barrel had a fixed modified choke. Make sure it does come with it, that'd be one hell of a deal. (You should be able to see it on the end of the barrel)

DisturbedAle
08-14-2012, 9:20 PM
When i got the combo, the barrel had a fixed modified choke. Make sure it does come with it, that'd be one hell of a deal. (You should be able to see it on the end of the barrel)

I haven't actually looked at it, but I called and asked and he stated it came with it... Anyway to tell from this link (http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2504071&rapid=1750306&listingid=-2056928099&pretailerid=-98565)?

o0RedEyE0o
08-14-2012, 9:25 PM
Have you also considered the 590?

heavyrecoil
08-15-2012, 7:21 PM
When I purchased one of those combos (approximately 8-9 years ago), it came with a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and a 28" fixed modified choke barrel.

It's hard for me to believe that the newer, more cheaply made, versions come with an "Accu-Choke" barrel and choke tubes. The only way to know for sure is to physically inspect the gun you are interested in purchasing.

Someone above mentioned the 590. I would steer away from that model unless your only interest is HD-type shooting. For hunting or casual clays, the model 500 is much more versatile, with far more accessory barrel choices.

The 500 is a great basic pump shotgun. With all of the aftermarket barrels and accessories, you can set it up to do just about anything you might want to do (within reason) with a shotgun. The fixed modified choke barrel is okay, but having the versatility of interchangeable chokes would definitely be a plus.

Josh.Ollar
08-15-2012, 7:28 PM
yes the 500 is very veratile. you can buy a differnt barrel later. im very happy with my mossberg 835 i just wouldnt want a fixed choke well maybe if it was a Full choke

Just Dave
08-15-2012, 7:37 PM
I haven't actually looked at it, but I called and asked and he stated it came with it... Anyway to tell from this link (http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2504071&rapid=1750306&listingid=-2056928099&pretailerid=-98565)?

That looks like the same setup I have, the choke on the 28 inch barrel is fixed.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2 while driving

sealocan
08-15-2012, 7:41 PM
the mossberg 500 and the remington 870 are the 2 big names in shotguns. 870 is used a lot by police and has a steel receiver. the mossberg has the safety right on top of the receiver easy to see easy to use no confusion ,and was the u s army's pick (in the model 590 -which has parts like the trigger guard and other small things made of steel rather than plastic or polymer. the mossberg is the everymans working shotgun great gun and I love that safety and the 2 barrel combo deal.It is better than some of the other brands that are sometimes made in china. the 870 is if you're trying to impress friends or shoot a real lot of ammo- either competition or professional. the old timex verse rolex thing. that's my opinion I hope it helps you.

robtech
08-15-2012, 7:57 PM
im surprised nobody has touched on this

What do you want to do with your shotgun? clays? home defense? all of the above?

500-590-870 are all pretty much equal, its really just a personal preference thing

here's how it would break down if it were me...

mossy 500 combo (long and short barrel)...if i wanted to shoot clays or occasional bird hunting but also wanted to strap on the short barrel for HD when im not hunting

mossy 590...if i want a straight up HD gun, period.

remy 870...if i want a pistol grip

the big difference between mossy and remy is safetly location and ergonomics...mossbergs are on the tank which is perfect for a traditional stock, and remingtons are on the trigger guard which is better suited to a pistol grip and kind of a pain in the *** with a regular stock...also remy's have this stupid flap that hangs down over the magazine and gets in the way when reloading.

what i went with is a 590 and a separate gun for hunting/clays

xdjxklusivex
08-15-2012, 8:40 PM
What the heck is a choke barrel? lol

RomPirate
08-15-2012, 8:46 PM
Check this out:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/images/shotgunpace1.jpg

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/images/shotgunpace1.jpg

hermosabeach
08-15-2012, 9:38 PM
I picked up the Big 5 combo in 1990

The long barrel makes the gun clunky in my opinion

It have shot the hell out of that gun

I prefer Mossberg over Remington for home defense and shotgun classes

I prefer my 870 over the mossberg for duck hunting

BigDogatPlay
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
The purpose of choke is to regulate size of shot pattern at different distances. HD is usually Cylinder or Improved Cylinder, hence a wider potential pattern the farther away the target is.

Waterfowl and turkey hunting, and some clay games are shot with full or tighter choke.

Choke tubes make the longer barrel much more versatile. The way to know for sure is to go to the store and check the actual gun. I know Turners has sold the combo with a choke tube barrel at a slightly higher price point than Big 5.

TripleThreat
08-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I use an 870 at work, hate it.

I use a 590 at home, love it.

robtech
08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1-YikvzwY&feature=g-vrec

just the first few minutes...covers some basics

mikajo39
08-16-2012, 10:34 PM
If I remember reading correctly the 500A combo from mossberg has been using the maverick 88 style forend which can cause upgrade issues. I think its pretty much a big5 deal. However I haven't heard any reliability issues out of those models. The 870 express models have had issues with sticking chambers and rough machining. My buddy was not impressed with his 870 express.

For a good Basic shotgun there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 500 combo. They're reliable and shoot well but its no Lamborghini, plus its got a huge aftermarket. The 870 is also a proven shotgun. Handle both and see what feels the best to you.

The 500 combo should cover HD, and enough beginner trap shooting to keep you entertained until you can buy something fancier.:D

TripleThreat
08-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Excellent video, I'm was surprised they didn't mention one of my favorite features on the Mossberg, which is the placement of the safety, in the middle, right where it belongs, easy to find and access by lefties and righties without a thought.

Mossberg is the clear winner IMO.

Scuba Steve33
08-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I grew up shooting 870s that my Dad owned. Got into the Army where they use 500s (not 590s like someone said) and never had any issues. Got out and bought a 500. Just personal preference, they are very similar.

BigfootHunter
08-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Not sure about Army, but I think the 590a1 is a Marine Corps and Coast Guard item.

I bought the Big 5 500 combo in 2001, and the 28" bbl was a fixed modified choke. Even if the current one is (likely) that price is still a good deal, but didn't that coupon end yesterday? Also, don't bother modifying a fixed choke bbl for removable chokes as you can buy them from Mossberg for about $165 (with 3 chokes included) on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-50327-90135-500-Barrel/dp/B001AZDB50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345226339&sr=8-1&keywords=mossberg+90135) (through shop42a.com).

Also, I know that Big 5 sometimes has special runs and part #'s set up since they're a big distributor, but on Mossberg's site, the 500 combo that DOES have the 28" bbl with chokes is model# 54169 (http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/54169.jpg). I guess contact big 5 and ask them if that combo includes Accu-Chokes in the 28" barrel or if it is a fixed choke.

At the end of the day, I don't think the lack of screw-in chokes would kill the deal for me at that price anyway. Hope that helps.

KR_H
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't know much about chokes, but the sales rep said it did have an adjustable choke set. Is this a good fit for a new shooter?

I just bought the 20-gauge yesterday on that sale. The long barrel has a choke that unscrews to accommodate a different size.