PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Glock 23

Skin1991
08-14-2012, 4:41 PM
I am highly considering purchasing the glock 23 (.40) to carry at work and to have as a travel companion. What are your outlooks in the 23 and the .40. Any other guns you can reccomend in the price range that would be a competitor for the glock?

far from tactical
08-14-2012, 4:47 PM
It's a good lil gun IMO

NoNOS67
08-14-2012, 4:49 PM
Very happy with mine!

Skin1991
08-14-2012, 4:49 PM
It's a good lil gun IMO

How is the accuracy compared to the glock 22

pietropau9
08-14-2012, 4:55 PM
Its a GLOCK. What could be wrong???

PolishMike
08-14-2012, 4:56 PM
Almost as good as a Glock 19

Ro504
08-14-2012, 5:03 PM
The first pistol i bought was my 23. No complaints at all.

scglock
08-14-2012, 5:10 PM
You can't go wrong with a 23 or glock in general :)

ChaneRZ
08-14-2012, 5:42 PM
great gun!

HighLander51
08-14-2012, 5:44 PM
I am highly considering purchasing the glock 23 (.40) to carry at work and to have as a travel companion. What are your outlooks in the 23 and the .40. Any other guns you can reccomend in the price range that would be a competitor for the glock?

And what kind of work is that?

TAS
08-14-2012, 8:10 PM
I haven't compared it with a G22 but I like my G23. Of the guns I own, it's on the top of my list to carry or travel with, unless I'm in the woods and then it's my G20 or my .44 Mag. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Bill Carson
08-14-2012, 8:12 PM
Its a GLOCK. What could be wrong???

This

rtk
08-14-2012, 8:15 PM
I have a Glock 23 - good gun. I did have to change out the recoil spring after about 3000 rounds as it started having feed issues. But since the recoil spring replacement, no issues. I did add a tungsten guide rod, beavertail, and Talon grip tape to it... guide rod to help control muzzle flip, beavertail to overcome the grip angle issue I had with it, and Talon grip tape to give me the positive grip I wanted.

That said, as much as I like my Glock 23, I just purchased a Springfield XDS. Its a couple of C-notes higher than the Glock (via SSE in the PRK) , but it's thinner, lighter and more concealable.

rtk
08-14-2012, 8:15 PM
I have a Glock 23 - good gun. I did have to change out the recoil spring after about 3000 rounds as it started having feed issues. But since the recoil spring replacement, no issues. I did add a tungsten guide rod, beavertail, and Talon grip tape to it... guide rod to help control muzzle flip, beavertail to overcome the grip angle issue I had with it, and Talon grip tape to give me the positive grip I wanted.

That said, as much as I like my Glock 23, I just purchased a Springfield XDS. Its a couple of C-notes higher than the Glock (via SSE in the PRK) , but it's thinner, lighter and more concealable.

Red Devil
08-14-2012, 8:17 PM
Really like the G23.

My prime "go-everywhere" Auto for Twenty (20) years.

Feed it these:

.40 Federal HST 180 gr Ammo Gel Test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWy2AB_AQYo)

Dry-fire it a lot if you find it tends to shoot a little Left. (it's most likely your trigger squeeze)

And a much better choice than the G19, because 9mm sucks. :D

Nor~Cal
08-14-2012, 8:18 PM
I bought my first Glock 23 in 94 and I still own it, I also bought a Glock 27 later that year and still own that one too, I have shot the piss out of the 23 and it still shoots like the day I first fired it, Its a nice conceal carry weapon too, although I would rather carry the 27 for most of the time,
I have added some extra's on the 23 over the years as well,
you will be happy with the glock 23 as you really cant go wrong with it,

XVIga_Rob
08-14-2012, 9:35 PM
Bought a G23 about 5 years ago. It was a good gun. Sold it. It's a glock. :rolleyes:

Skin1991
08-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Awesome well i think I will pick one up in a few weeks. Bday present to myself :)

HighLander51
08-15-2012, 5:02 AM
Awesome well i think I will pick one up in a few weeks. Bday present to myself :)

I still ask what kind of work do you do because if you have to CCW that would lean more towards a G23, and if you have to carry open, then a G22 would be better. I have both, but you can't go wrong with any Glock platform.

PolishMike
08-15-2012, 6:43 AM

Gen 3 recoil springs should be changed every 2500 rounds per Glock.
Also- the only thing I have seen routinely cause failures in Glocks are those stupid tungsten/ss guide rods. Nothing but problems with those.

USMC 82-86
08-15-2012, 7:07 AM
I have tried it several times and really like the gun. That was supposed to be my last purchase ended up with another gun and traded it for a G19. The G23 will be my next gun most likely. If you are set on it don't even handle another gun until you do the DROS, it will prevent what happened to me. I think you will enjoy the G23 but make sure you try it first.

m98
08-15-2012, 7:24 AM
^^^^agreed, go shoot the 23 first before u actually buy it. Shoot atleast 100rds thru it and see if ur hands agree with the grip&.40. For me, i really didnt like it too much as the back end will start diggin into the top of the web of my hand. I preferr the flavor of the 19 over 23.

Skin1991
08-15-2012, 9:29 AM
I still ask what kind of work do you do because if you have to CCW that would lean more towards a G23, and if you have to carry open, then a G22 would be better. I have both, but you can't go wrong with any Glock platform.

I do locksmith and security work, it's a family buisness and I am in the shop alone alot and there have been a number or small buisness robberies Latley. I have a older S&W .38 special revolver but I don't carry it I just have it near by, and my 10mm (colt delta elite) isn't what I want to carry at work.

Lead Waster
08-15-2012, 10:01 AM
I have a G23 because I wanted a .40 to complement my .45s and 9s. I only wanted to buy one so I picked the G23 because I shot a friends and was very accurate with it. Is the G22 or G35 more accurate? Maybe, I dunno. It's purpose was just a general range gun, maybe HD if I ever decide to use a gun for HD (kids in house, which is why it's not my HD choice).

I like it, it shoots well. Yes, .40 is has a different kick than 9 and .45, but as a reloader, once my donor factory rounds are use up, I'll probably load them down. Sure that might defeat the purpose of a .40 over a 9mm (supposed stopping power), but that piece of paper dangling in the range won't know what hit it.

ElDub1950
08-15-2012, 10:07 AM
G23 is great. I typically carry my G27 instead but that's just a matter of preference. Can't go wrong with the G23

Striker
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM

Good gun, though I find Glocks in .40 tend to have a little more snap to their recoil. Not a bad choice though. I think the obvious other gun to look at is the M&P 40. Also a nice gun. If you want to jump to a different price point, I personally like the HK USP 40C better than either of those guns. I think it's a little smoother and a little more accurate, but that's just my opinion. And it does cost twice as much money.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

h0use
08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
own a gen3 for about 4 years has thousands of rounds of diffrent ammo. it shoots steel. i carry it somtimes. its a great pistol.

emtmark
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Love mine n just bought a 27!

JTROKS
08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
How is the accuracy compared to the glock 22

Accuracy potential will always be on the bigger gun due to the longer sight radius and more manageable felt recoil. I have G35, G23 and G27.

Skin1991
08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Good gun, though I find Glocks in .40 tend to have a little more snap to their recoil. Not a bad choice though. I think the obvious other gun to look at is the M&P 40. Also a nice gun. If you want to jump to a different price point, I personally like the HK USP 40C better than either of those guns. I think it's a little smoother and a little more accurate, but that's just my opinion. And it does cost twice as much money.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I was considering the M&P .40 but didn't care for the feel and I like the 23 because of the size and the feel. I have yet to shoot one though but I don't think the snap will be a bother me I'm use to my 10mm. So I guess my best bet it to go rent one and see how I like it. I just wanted others input as well.

himurax13
08-15-2012, 7:38 PM
I generally don't like Glocks, but I do have a 23 and a 35. The 23 is actually a good all around little gun, much better than the 22 and the 35.

jvpark
08-15-2012, 8:45 PM
Fantastic gun and accurate. I love the simplicity and durability.
I added a after market plunger, Ti guide rod and 3.5 pound trigger bar and the thing is smooth like butter.

460_Smith_Wesson
08-15-2012, 9:07 PM
My experience with guns is NOT that long, yet most of it was with Glock 23.

Briefly:

10,000+ rounds through the barrel so far, and NOT one single hiccup.

Snappy little gun, hard to control at the beginning considering weight and power
ration, yet when you master it, then all other guns are easier.

I always cleaned my gun after each range visit. And every few times I will literally
take the whole gun apart and immerse it in hot boiling water, wipe it piece by piece,
lubricate it and oil. And it is still performing.

The size of your hands will determine to choose the Glock 23 or Glock 22. But for
concealing purposes ( if you are licensed ) then, Glock 23 has the edge.
For better control, Glock 22 is better.

One thing worth to mention :

When I installed the extended slide release which sits little looser than the original
one, I experienced and concluded that a large hand will hit that loose extended slide
release upon firing and which resulted in stopping the gun from re-chambering. It was
frustrating why this was happening, yet I knew later that my thumb is hitting and
engaging the slide release and kept the slide open.

Hopefully that helps,

Robert

sirgiles
08-15-2012, 9:16 PM
I do locksmith and security work, it's a family buisness and I am in the shop alone alot and there have been a number or small buisness robberies Latley. I have a older S&W .38 special revolver but I don't carry it I just have it near by, and my 10mm (colt delta elite) isn't what I want to carry at work.

is there a particular reason why you don't like the 10mm, as a business defense gun (since you mentioned that you are used to it)?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
I carried one as an alternative to my G27. It wasn't as comfortable to shoot as the 27 (for some reason, it the recoil felt snappier to me than the 27's) and I ditched it in favor of a G19, which feels much more comfortable.

PerfectReset
08-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Great review. I just picked a Glock 23 up this year after having a Glock 35 in the past and not caring for it. The Glock 23 is (like all Glocks) trustworthy and though it took 3-4 range days for me to get it down, can be repeated very accurately. I used to shoot my Sig P226 .40 more accurately but now they are similar and I like the Glock more in terms of engineering... Less weight and complexity, accomplishes the same result, arguably greater reliability due to minimalist design. So in conclusion, not the easiest first date, a great companion over time.

My experience with guns is NOT that long, yet most of it was with Glock 23.

Briefly:

10,000+ rounds through the barrel so far, and NOT one single hiccup.

Snappy little gun, hard to control at the beginning considering weight and power
ration, yet when you master it, then all other guns are easier.

I always cleaned my gun after each range visit. And every few times I will literally
take the whole gun apart and immerse it in hot boiling water, wipe it piece by piece,
lubricate it and oil. And it is still performing.

The size of your hands will determine to choose the Glock 23 or Glock 22. But for
concealing purposes ( if you are licensed ) then, Glock 23 has the edge.
For better control, Glock 22 is better.

One thing worth to mention :

When I installed the extended slide release which sits little looser than the original
one, I experienced and concluded that a large hand will hit that loose extended slide
release upon firing and which resulted in stopping the gun from re-chambering. It was
frustrating why this was happening, yet I knew later that my thumb is hitting and
engaging the slide release and kept the slide open.

Hopefully that helps,

Robert

shhh
08-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Love my G23. Easy to shoot. Not a single problem/issue. It just works.

I came to the Glock from a fullsize HK USP40. The G23 is definitely lighter, smaller and snappier. Like the HK, it eats *everything*: reloads, pmc, federal, fmj and jhp. I've had it since late March and have put probably 700-800 rounds through it. Not a single glitch. No fte/ftf. Not one. The G23 is solid (no rattles or jiggles). It's pretty accurate. I can put probably 9 of 10 rounds in the center/black at 15 yards.

I don't have huge hands, but I also don't have teeny lady hands. The G23 fits my hands perfectly.

FWIW, I recently got a chance to shoot my buddies XD40. Something about it just didn't feel right to me. It felt ok in my hand, but I couldn't really get 'comfortable'. The trigger was kinda sloppy and overall shooting it felt "mushy" -- springy/twangy. It felt like something was loose. Maybe I'm just "too used to" my G23.

In the future, I'd like to check out the M&P's to compare. I hear good things about them, but have not seen/held/shot one.

Shapes And Colors
08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
My G23 was the first pistol I ever bought. After years of trading around and trying new things, it's one of the very few originals I still own. Light, great size, easy to shoot, and tons of fun.

Anti-Hero
08-16-2012, 12:05 AM
My thoughts on G23: Awesome

SVRider
08-16-2012, 6:57 AM
Had one since the early 90's. They're great.

1000stars
08-16-2012, 7:16 AM
G23 will do the job. Look no further.