PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions regarding aperture inserts

BigJ
08-14-2012, 5:10 PM
Hey guys. I'm not sure where else to post this. I'm relatively new to target/match rimfire shooting, and I'm brand new to the idea of using Anshutz style front sight inserts. I have a Kimber 82G and it came with a handful of them for use. Mind suffering a few newb questions?

First, just based on eyeballing stuff, it would seem the smaller numbered disk is for use with further and further away targets? This seems obvious, but I don't want to assume incorrectly.

Second, is there some ratio that relates distance, to target size, to insert number? Like, for example if I have an 8" bull at 100 yards I should use a 1.8 insert (totally fabricated numbers just for example purposes). Or is this a much more 'preference' based decision?

And last (for now :), the rear sight's hole is a fixed pinhole diameter. When eyeballing things in though, obviously you can see a ton of 'stuff' thru it at distance. Are you supposed to just center the front sight's ring in the middle of the view thru the rear sight? Or is there some other alignment technique I'm not understanding?

Thanks for any help you can offer guys. I look forward to getting more into this sport as time allows. I'm already carving time away to get out there again soon :)

Izzy43
08-14-2012, 6:52 PM
Hey guys. I'm not sure where else to post this. I'm relatively new to target/match rimfire shooting, and I'm brand new to the idea of using Anshutz style front sight inserts. I have a Kimber 82G and it came with a handful of them for use. Mind suffering a few newb questions?

First, just based on eyeballing stuff, it would seem the smaller numbered disk is for use with further and further away targets? This seems obvious, but I don't want to assume incorrectly.

Second, is there some ratio that relates distance, to target size, to insert number? Like, for example if I have an 8" bull at 100 yards I should use a 1.8 insert (totally fabricated numbers just for example purposes). Or is this a much more 'preference' based decision?

And last (for now :), the rear sight's hole is a fixed pinhole diameter. When eyeballing things in though, obviously you can see a ton of 'stuff' thru it at distance. Are you supposed to just center the front sight's ring in the middle of the view thru the rear sight? Or is there some other alignment technique I'm not understanding?

Thanks for any help you can offer guys. I look forward to getting more into this sport as time allows. I'm already carving time away to get out there again soon :)

First? You want to use the size of the front aperture that allows you to have a small area of white around the target that you are shooting. Basically center the target in the front aperture. The rear is only for looking at the front, not critical that you line up the hole in the rear aperture to the hole in the front aperture, rather just center the target in the front aperture.

Second ? There is a relationship to distance, target size and aperture size. For this type shooting a 2" black bullseye works best @ 25 yds with the 1.8 aperture. Double the distance and double the size of the target so @ 50yds use a 4" bullseye and the same aperture to have the exact same sight picture. Double again for 100yds. Every shooter may prefer a specific front aperture size for their eye and shooting preference. Experiment until you find the one that works for you. For me its a clear plastic 1.8.

Third ? I think I answered that in First?.

Izzy

PS: I also have a Kimber 82G, look in the August Rimfire Match for 50 yd results.

Thefeeder
08-14-2012, 6:58 PM
Its been a long time since...so here it goes

Your view is of the front sight and not much else

The front sight inserts correlate to the size of the trarget at 25 and 50yrds
for official NRA match targets .......the black part of the target will fit in the
center of the sight.....so your sight picture is the 9, 10, and X ring sitting in the front sight.....any white and your not on target.

Thats the best I can do as I do'nt remember the number on the sights as they relate to target size.

Izzy43
08-14-2012, 7:09 PM
Its been a long time since...so here it goes

Your view is of the front sight and not much else

The front sight inserts correlate to the size of the trarget at 25 and 50yrds
for official NRA match targets .......the black part of the target will fit in the
center of the sight.....so your sight picture is the 9, 10, and X ring sitting in the front sight.....any white and your not on target.

Thats the best I can do as I do'nt remember the number on the sights as they relate to target size.

Do you remember the name of those NRA match targets at 25 and 50yds?

Thanks,
Izzy

707electrician
08-14-2012, 7:12 PM
Im pretty sure its mostly personal preference, use what works best for you. Most want a decent white circle around the target black in the front sight and same between the front and rear, this makes it easier for your eye/brain to naturally align the concentric circle

BigJ
08-14-2012, 9:07 PM
Very good and understood. Thank you gentlemen!

Thefeeder
08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Do you remember the name of those NRA match targets at 25 and 50yds?

Thanks,
Izzy

Are you kidding...I'm lucky if I leave the house with pants on.

Izzy43
08-15-2012, 6:12 AM
Are you kidding...I'm lucky if I leave the house with pants on.

I know the feeling, thanks anyway.

kendog4570
08-15-2012, 7:44 AM
Check out "Sight Alignment, Trigger Control, and The Big Lie" by Jim Owens for a good explanation how to get started with irons.

Most folks new to aperture sights settle on a front that is too small. I need to open my rear up more than his guidelines to shrink the group. As 707 said, it is also one of personal preference and finding what works for you. Knowing which aperture settings you will need before going to the line in the existing light conditions are one of the differences between a marksman and a master.

The rear is only for looking at the front, not critical that you line up the hole in the rear aperture to the hole in the front aperture, rather just center the target in the front aperture.

Huh??

23's Dad
08-15-2012, 9:32 AM
Let there be a fairly generous amount of white around the bull. If your aperture is barely larger than the sighting black, you will start to strain your vision trying to keep a fine line all the way around.

Centering the front sight in the rear aperture is my first check for natural point of aim. If it's not centered, then my cheek weld is wrong. It may be different for others, but I find it a good verification.

This webpage may be helpful. It takes a bit of reading and measuring, but you will get his drift.

http://fuzzylimey.net/projects/targapert.html

707electrician
08-15-2012, 3:56 PM
Here is what you want
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE3TqFKpDjYS6VLDh-iPPB38nGVDCuvTrsYhnO6WGKuWSjBygd&t=1

BigJ
08-16-2012, 11:21 AM
^^ Man, I'm glad I asked. That's a very different sight picture than I've been holding.