PDA

View Full Version : "Tactical..."

M. Crane
08-14-2012, 4:05 PM
I see holsters, grips, stocks, barrels, wallets, flashlights, knives, toothpicks, pens, jackets, belts, hats, sunglasses... etc... labeled as "tactical."

What does "Tactical" really mean?

Black nylon/plastic/polymer? What?

Smells stinky to me...

King Turnip
08-14-2012, 4:12 PM
tactical adj.: of, or relating to military operations that are smaller or more local than strategic ones.

I'll take my dumbass points off the air.

duggan
08-14-2012, 4:15 PM
It means it comes in black, FDE or coyote and everyone will buy it, only half will know what it's for and use it properly.

jessegpresley
08-14-2012, 4:17 PM
Not for hunting or competition.

DrMoebius
08-14-2012, 4:19 PM
What does "Tactical" really mean? A lot more expensive for very little extra (of practical use)

SilverTauron
I wonder on occasion how great of a nation we'd be if people spent their extra money on range time instead of holo-sights and foregrips.

finyllw
The term has become akin to other terms such as "Heavy Duty" "Billet" and so on. It is being exploited by the "Marketing Teams" to lure unsuspecting customers to purchase those products.

Just because something says "Tactical" doesn't mean it's the bad axx thing it's supposed to be. I mean how "Tactical" could a frickin baseball hat be?

The best purchase you can make is to get what works best for you in your situation.

Press Check
08-14-2012, 4:25 PM
These days, Tactical is nothing more than an advertising ploy, not much different than Match Grade, National Match or Mil-Spec.

CouchIsland.com
08-14-2012, 4:28 PM
I wonder on occasion how great of a nation we'd be if people spent their extra money on range time instead of holo-sights and foregrips.

QFT

CouchIsland.com
08-14-2012, 4:28 PM
These days, Tactical is nothing more than an advertising ploy, not much different than Match Grade, National Match or Mil-Spec.

Or 'Zombie'

Press Check
08-14-2012, 4:48 PM
Definitely add Zombie to the list.

Synergy
08-14-2012, 5:02 PM

Ask the guy that posted his "Tactical" gear wanting to get hard armor plates!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/Training_Gear-1-1.jpg

:rofl2:

dem0critus
08-14-2012, 5:13 PM
http://www.digitalbusstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tactical-bacon.jpg

CK_32
08-14-2012, 5:25 PM
Tactical is just a noob/advertisement ploy now..

Noobs use it for everything to sound cool.. Companies use it on everything to make it look cool.. Doesn't mean much anymore to me.. I just read over it now.

Sent via iphone tactical using tactical typing.

b1oodgroove
08-14-2012, 5:32 PM
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/3118/tactical_facepalm.jpg

CnCFunFactory
08-14-2012, 5:37 PM

Some of us can afford both range time and the accessories. :rolleyes:

unusedusername
08-14-2012, 5:39 PM
Cant embed videos from my phone ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2WKSg8KQg

Synergy
08-14-2012, 5:49 PM
Cant embed videos from my phone ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2WKSg8KQg

coming soon.. Tactical Tampons - the only tampons approved for use on AR15.com (caution: may cause butthurt)
:rofl2:

cal3gunner
08-14-2012, 6:02 PM
http://www.digitalbusstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tactical-bacon.jpg

I ate some of the Tactical Bacon at SHOT show. It was the last day of SHOT when the booths have the parties w/ beer and food. The bacon did taste good.

Marketing at its finest, beer and bacon. I remembered the beer, remembered the bacon, but didn't remember the booth or what company was putting it on.

hossb7
08-14-2012, 6:23 PM
I ate some of the Tactical Bacon at SHOT show. It was the last day of SHOT when the booths have the parties w/ beer and food. The bacon did taste good.

Marketing at its finest, beer and bacon. I remembered the beer, remembered the bacon, but didn't remember the booth or what company was putting it on.

In 2011 I was getting free beer 5-6 times a day all week.

epilepticninja
08-14-2012, 6:25 PM
I saw "tactical" labeled socks at the MCX at Pendleton yesterday. I almost had to buy a pair.

Mossy Man
08-14-2012, 6:57 PM
I saw a "Mil-spec" computer case at Fry's the other day.....

SilverTauron
08-14-2012, 7:00 PM
Some of us can afford both range time and the accessories. :rolleyes:

Imagine how much better of a shot you'd be if that $480 Eotech scope were converted to 5.56mm ammo.:rolleyes:

Unless your day job is putting lead into enemies of the United States in places Rand McNally doesn't have maps for, all that tactical crap is just show. Nothing wrong with having a kitted up AR15, but understand none of that stuff in and of itself is going to make you a better with that weapon.

A "tactical" threat is a guy with 1000 rounds of practice and iron sights. He won't need batteries or dark earth furniture to get quality hits.

Kempfer
08-14-2012, 7:01 PM
Mil-spec, Tactical, Firearms Instructor.

Just another adjective to put in front of something to make money.

Rorge Retson
08-14-2012, 7:29 PM
A "tactical" threat is a guy with 1000 rounds of practice and iron sights.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Fishslayer
08-14-2012, 7:40 PM
Black nylon
Lots of pouches, straps & buckles
Jack up the price
Name it "Tactical"

Profit

Tom Slick
08-14-2012, 8:07 PM
It means it comes in three colors, black, tan, or green and is made of plastic or aluminum.

The local tactical shop is advertising tactical sandals.

RolinThundr
08-14-2012, 8:45 PM
I was joking with a co-worker about this very topic (tactical on everything) and came up with the idea of tactical horseshoes, each game set will come with a grenade, you know, for when you can't get the horseshoe close enough. When you pull the pin on the grenade you hear "One...two...four" "Three, sir!" "Three!"

Press Check
08-14-2012, 9:39 PM
Sent via iphone tactical using tactical typing.

My iPhone is protected by a Magpul Executive case, so does that mean my iPhone is more Tactical than yours?

CK_32
08-14-2012, 9:49 PM
My iPhone is protected by a Magpul Executive case, so does that mean my iPhone is more Tactical than yours?

Oh snap! I think it might be.. Mines just tactical otterbox

Press Check
08-14-2012, 9:52 PM
Apparently, as long as the Otterbox is black, we're good to go.

sirgiles
08-14-2012, 11:03 PM
when you are in the business of selling, it is simply a marketing tool.

anymoose
08-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Imagine how much better of a shot you'd be if that $480 Eotech scope were converted to 5.56mm ammo.:rolleyes:

Unless your day job is putting lead into enemies of the United States in places Rand McNally doesn't have maps for, all that tactical crap is just show. Nothing wrong with having a kitted up AR15, but understand none of that stuff in and of itself is going to make you a better with that weapon.

A "tactical" threat is a guy with 1000 rounds of practice and iron sights. He won't need batteries or dark earth furniture to get quality hits.

simply untrue.

a prime example range scores of Marines with and without ACOGs, the new Marines that are getting to qual with ACOGs are getting way more expert quals than when irons were used.

if optics, foregrips, slings, laser range finders, lights... werent making people using the weapon day in and day out better with the weapon, they wouldnt use those accessories.

do the accessories help people be more proficient at marksmanship? no. but, they do make people better with their weapon. they can shoot more accurately and at further distances, they can make follow up shots faster, clear building safer and more effectively, and maneuver their rifles more precisely...

dont get me wrong, i do think everyone should become very proficient with irons before getting any accessories, but its just silly to say that, "none of that stuff in and of itself is going to make you a better with that weapon." its just not true, and there is proof that its not true.

cal3gunner
08-14-2012, 11:29 PM

CK_32
08-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Apparently, as long as the Otterbox is black, we're good to go.

Yup were good :)

SilverTauron
08-15-2012, 5:43 AM
simply untrue.

a prime example range scores of Marines with and without ACOGs, the new Marines that are getting to qual with ACOGs are getting way more expert quals than when irons were used.

if optics, foregrips, slings, laser range finders, lights... werent making people using the weapon day in and day out better with the weapon, they wouldnt use those accessories.

do the accessories help people be more proficient at marksmanship? no. but, they do make people better with their weapon. they can shoot more accurately and at further distances, they can make follow up shots faster, clear building safer and more effectively, and maneuver their rifles more precisely...

dont get me wrong, i do think everyone should become very proficient with irons before getting any accessories, but its just silly to say that, "none of that stuff in and of itself is going to make you a better with that weapon." its just not true, and there is proof that its not true.

Those guys' and gals' primary job is to make "the other bastard" die for his country. It makes sense thus that their AR pattern rifles would need to be equipped with the red dots/scopes/ etc. File their use under "killing enemies of the United States". I know id want our assault troops to have every advantage over an enemy who's going to have the same type of hardware on their weapons too.

By comparison, the average civilian AR15 is going to spend its days on a static range or in a gun safe. No one's going to be using their S&W or Bushmaster semi-auto to invade a beachhead or kill a terrorist on a special ops mission,"tactical" marketing notwithstanding. The equipment should fit the mission, and a bone stock GI AR15 is quite capable of accomplishing the mission of home defense & range plinking without aftermarket additions.

Note that Im not saying people shouldn't modify their guns;my point is that they should be honest about their motivations when doing so.If you want a tactical AR for looks and cool factor more power to ya and have fun, but don't pitch that tired load of manure about needing an ACOG scope and tactical furniture to defend your home.

JaMail
08-15-2012, 6:11 AM
hope your not saying i have to give up my tactical spork.. its the only think that works when my enchiladas start getting attitude. due to the flat black paint, they never see it coming.

i can also use it to gouge out a zombies eyes if im backed into a corner and who doesnt need a screw driver on their spork.. i ask you that?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NQZeJzOGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

64physhy
08-15-2012, 6:28 AM
simply untrue.

My score changed very little going from iron sights to the acog. Those who have a hard time focusing on a clear front sight tip instead of the target will see more improvement with the acog. It's also good for longer distances and eliminates the need for elevation changes at different distances. IMO, the ACOG only marginally helps those who are already good shooters, but is more of an advantage to those who need a little extra help.

That said, I would rather have the ACOG in combat for faster target acquisition and the ability to be accurate at varying ranges without elevation adjustments, but when target practicing, I prefer iron sights for some reason. I guess because when I was a kid, my dad didn't let me use a scope, and I was no longer required to qual with the rifle by the time the ACOG became the standard for qualifying.

m98
08-15-2012, 8:43 AM
Means EVIL, Only for Special forces swat cops

DrMoebius
08-15-2012, 4:13 PM
hope your not saying i have to give up my tactical spork.. its the only think that works when my enchiladas start getting attitude. due to the flat black paint, they never see it coming...i can also use it to gouge out a zombies eyes if im backed into a corner and who doesnt need a screw driver on their spork.. i ask you that? Pure comedy! You had me laughing my *** off!

cal3gunner
08-15-2012, 5:17 PM
hope your not saying i have to give up my tactical spork.. its the only think that works when my enchiladas start getting attitude. due to the flat black paint, they never see it coming.

i can also use it to gouge out a zombies eyes if im backed into a corner and who doesnt need a screw driver on their spork.. i ask you that?

I got that spork at SHOT show. I put it in my backpack and havn't used it since. One day it will come in handy and I'll use it. Its very light weight so I don't mind keeping it in there.

Merc1138
08-15-2012, 5:25 PM

1. As already stated, some people can afford the ammo and the gear.
2. Why do you care if I bought a piece of gear that could be taken into combat, but will likely never get used anywhere but the range?
3. Not every change made to the basic platform is to make me better with the weapon, a lot of changes are to make the weapon better for me. Yes, there is a difference.

4. Sounds like someone(you) is jealous that other people don't have to choose between an optic or a couple cans of ammo.

SilverTauron
08-15-2012, 6:22 PM
1. As already stated, some people can afford the ammo and the gear.

Gear does not equal competence. The point is that everyone no matter their job or income will improve their marksmanship shooting $480 of 5.56 ammo than they will bolting on a commercial accessory to the weapon.

2. Why do you care if I bought a piece of gear that could be taken into combat, but will likely never get used anywhere but the range?

I do not care about your choice of gear.That is your prerogative.

3. Not every change made to the basic platform is to make me better with the weapon, a lot of changes are to make the weapon better for me. Yes, there is a difference.

Your statement is illogical considering the subject of this thread.The weakest link in any shooter-firearm combination is the mope behind the trigger. WE are the reason our firearms miss a target, not the weapon itself.

If the weapon ergonomically agrees with you, then the next logical step is to take as much error out of shooting as possible. In other words, we must adress the weakest link-and that isn't done by buying "tactical" gear or blaming the gun.

Professional special operations teams get good at shooting by correcting the "mope" problem.

SEALS arent born marksmen any more than we are. At one point in the past those guys were shooting low left too. Quoting Inside Delta Force, the author wrote that the US Army's Delta team spent 8 hours a day for three months straight under guidance of pro instructors shooting. They'd shoot, clean, load, shoot, break a gun, get another one, shoot some more, clean a blister, and do it again the next day. Note that a 250 box of pistol ammo generally runs about an hour of shooting-and those operators went through EIGHT TIMES THAT in ONE day.

With that kind of practice the weakest link with shooting is addressed. You could hand those guys a WalMart sale Bushmaster AR15 with iron sights and they'd still kick ballistic tail with it. Gear does NOT make a shooter, any more than looking at the stars through the kitchen window makes you an astronomer.

4. Sounds like someone(you) is jealous that other people don't have to choose between an optic or a couple cans of ammo.

I in fact pity you. Trusting in gear is a common and understandable mistake shooters make nowadays, and depending on the situation it could be also the last mistake you'll ever make.

Merc1138
08-15-2012, 7:25 PM
I never said anything about gear equating to competence. Nor did I ever say that buying gear replaces time spent sending rounds down range. You really do have a problem with others being able to afford gear and ammo. I didn't say that gear made the shooter either.

If you really have to decide between spending $500 on the cool holosight, and being able to actually go to the range, I completely agree that your money would be better spent on ammo so you can spend time at the range. However, that doesn't apply to everyone.

If someone could afford to shoot 1,000 rounds a day, every day, why do you think that person needs to take the $500 they would have spent on some other gear and apply that to ammo? Now that person might want to consider some sort of reloading setup, but that's not what you were complaining about.

Heck, I'll give you a personal example of money spent on gear and not ammo. I just sent off a 1911 to a gun smith to fit a new trigger. Is the new trigger going to make me a better shooter? Nope. I got a new trigger because the face of the stock trigger bothered my finger. Would I be better off saving that money and spending it on ammo? Nope, already have ammo. That money is completely separate from an ammo budget. Is it frivolous spending for something that wasn't an absolute necessity? **** yes it was, but that's none of your concern and your "opinion"(more like jealous complaints) don't mean squat.

Are you going to complain about highpower shooters wearing fancy jackets and gloves next? Going to go tell them that they're better off spending their money on ammo? Go take your misplaced pity elsewhere.

Squidward
08-15-2012, 7:42 PM
Total tactical with price breakdown.

http://youtu.be/FrAIFP2pfew

anymoose
08-15-2012, 7:42 PM
I never said anything about gear equating to competence. Nor did I ever say that buying gear replaces time spent sending rounds down range. You really do have a problem with others being able to afford gear and ammo. I didn't say that gear made the shooter either.

If you really have to decide between spending $500 on the cool holosight, and being able to actually go to the range, I completely agree that your money would be better spent on ammo so you can spend time at the range. However, that doesn't apply to everyone.

If someone could afford to shoot 1,000 rounds a day, every day, why do you think that person needs to take the $500 they would have spent on some other gear and apply that to ammo? Now that person might want to consider some sort of reloading setup, but that's not what you were complaining about.

Heck, I'll give you a personal example of money spent on gear and not ammo. I just sent off a 1911 to a gun smith to fit a new trigger. Is the new trigger going to make me a better shooter? Nope. I got a new trigger because the face of the stock trigger bothered my finger. Would I be better off saving that money and spending it on ammo? Nope, already have ammo. That money is completely separate from an ammo budget. Is it frivolous spending for something that wasn't an absolute necessity? **** yes it was, but that's none of your concern and your "opinion"(more like jealous complaints) don't mean squat.

Are you going to complain about highpower shooters wearing fancy jackets and gloves next? Going to go tell them that they're better off spending their money on ammo? Go take your misplaced pity elsewhere.

Not to mention the fact that some gear really does make a shooter better in some regards.

Take a guy to the range that has never shot a gun before, give him basic instruction and have him shoot 10 rounds at 100 yards, slap a zeroed scope on and hive him another 10 rounds. I can almost guarantee that he will be more accurate with a scope.

That doesnt mean hes a better shooter, it means his gear made a difference and let him shoot more accurately.

Again, i agree that new shooters should use irons and ammo to get accurate and proficient, but the fact remains that optics and gear DO allow people to use their weapon better.

Merc1138
08-15-2012, 7:48 PM
Not to mention the fact that some gear really does make a shooter better in some regards.

Take a guy to the range that has never shot a gun before, give him basic instruction and have him shoot 10 rounds at 100 yards, slap a zeroed scope on and hive him another 10 rounds. I can almost guarantee that he will be more accurate with a scope.

That doesnt mean hes a better shooter, it means his gear made a difference and let him shoot more accurately.

Again, i agree that new shooters should use irons and ammo to get accurate and proficient, but the fact remains that optics and gear DO allow people to use their weapon better.

Yeah, there are indeed plenty of circumstances where some gear can help some people shoot better. The idea that any money spent on gear besides the gun itself and ammo is so silly that you might as well take it a step further and claim any money spent on a 2nd gun would have been better off spent on ammo for the first(which for some people might make sense, definitely not everyone).

anymoose
08-15-2012, 7:59 PM
Yeah, there are indeed plenty of circumstances where some gear can help some people shoot better. The idea that any money spent on gear besides the gun itself and ammo is so silly that you might as well take it a step further and claim any money spent on a 2nd gun would have been better off spent on ammo for the first(which for some people might make sense, definitely not everyone).

Yep. Might as well only own own a marlin 795 and a mosquito and buy .22 ammo because you will never be perfect with your gun and everything else would be a waste of money!

5.56? Waste of money unless youre a real operator.

CnCFunFactory
08-16-2012, 3:48 AM

A "tactical" threat is a guy with 1000 rounds of practice and iron sights. He won't need batteries or dark earth furniture to get quality hits.I

It is awfully presumptuous of you to think that a mere $480 worth of ammo would make me a better shot or that I am somehow deficient in my abilities to get "quality hits" because I use an eotech or have FDE furniture on my weapons platform of choice.

SilverTauron
08-16-2012, 5:43 AM
I

It is awfully presumptuous of you to think that a mere $480 worth of ammo would make me a better shot or that I am somehow deficient in my abilities to get "quality hits" because I use an eotech or have FDE furniture on my weapons platform of choice.

Fortunately for all of us that is not my attitude on the topic at all.

I have never said you or anyone else were "deficient" in anything.It isn't presumption to state a proven fact that the more quality shooting you do, the better shooter you become. That is not fringe science or mystic theory.

The choice of caliber, platform, gun, and even accesories is up to the individual. If you wish to spend money on a kitted out AR15, have at it. I don't see a problem with it-as long as the owner understands bolting on 'tactical' furniture is no substitute for getting on the range and shooting to build skill.

What makes those military guys so deadly with their weapons isn't the gear, but the practice behind it.

It would seem questioning the purchase of more gear is the fastest path to irrelevant vitriol in our society, and not just about guns either.

Yep. Might as well only own own a marlin 795 and a mosquito and buy .22 ammo because you will never be perfect with your gun and everything else would be a waste of money!

5.56? Waste of money unless youre a real operator.

I have claimed none of the above. Do not pretend that I have. :rolleyes:

Merc1138
08-16-2012, 7:19 AM
The choice of caliber, platform, gun, and even accesories is up to the individual. If you wish to spend money on a kitted out AR15, have at it. I don't see a problem with it-as long as the owner understands bolting on 'tactical' furniture is no substitute for getting on the range and shooting to build skill.

LOL, that's not even close to what you posted previously. Go back and re-read what you typed.

That right there is you assuming that someone who spent money on an eotech, no longer had money to buy ammo when in reality there are plenty of people on this forum and others who can afford to do both.

gasol1ne
08-16-2012, 7:16 PM

I got that spork at a gun show. Comes in real handy when i order take out and the people forget to give me a plastic fork. Also when said plastic fork breaks. But i guess if i was clever id just put a real fork in my backpack.

CZ9
08-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Total tactical with price breakdown.

http://youtu.be/FrAIFP2pfew

hahahaha that was great! But really though, everyone is labelling things tactical nowadays its getting ridiculous. I usually use the word tactical when I'm being sarcastic/mocking something. Or talking about canned bacon.