PDA

View Full Version : Guys... We really need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot...

BigMak911
08-14-2012, 4:21 PM
I don't want to brag but I was just at Walmart because I've got that kind of money... As I usually do when I go in there, I cruised the hunting/shooting section and there was a guy (guy A) in there asking for advice on tools and solvents and oils to clean his new S&W R8. I had never heard of it but he says it's an 8 shot 357, which sounded kinda neat.

Anyway, as I was giving him my opinions and advice, some other guy (B) walks up and starts... For lack of a better term... "overruling" me on everything I said... So I just let him talk for a while. At some point, a lady that worked there came up and asked if we needed any help at the ammo counter. B asks if she was the lady he talked to on the phone... She was. A jumps in and asks her to pull 357 mag ammo for him. B tells him to get the 357 box next to it because it was cheaper. I had to stop A because B had just told him to buy a box of 357 Sig for his revolver.... Strike one.

Next, Walmart employee lady, who was very nice throughout btw, says she wants to get her young son into shooting sports and I tried to give suggestions on ranges and such and even suggested that they could meet up with me at the range on Th when I was going anyway and he could try some out under my supervision. Walmart lady thanked me and agreed when B tells her to run over to Turners and get him a the cheaper Heritage Rough Rider 22lr in their Fall Flyer. She says she isn't ready to buy and would need to start saving up money to get anything for her son.

Guy B snorts... Says "you work at Walmart... If you can't afford $150 for a brand new gun, you shouldn't be looking to get into guns." So Walmart lady, understandably upset, walks away. I see her later in the store and decide to have a quiet word with her. Choking back tears, she says "if that's how gun owners behave, I don't want my son anywhere near them!" All I could do was apologize to her and tell her that any group of people has some d*****bags... And tell her that she and her son were still welcome to meet me at the range of they were so inclined.

My god guys... I hope B didn't create another anti out of a maybe pro... But please, when we are out in public, if it comes up, let's be good stewards of our sport. Remember, someone is always watching and taking cues from how we conduct ourselves.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NoNOS67
08-14-2012, 4:48 PM
Very unfortunate! Take a look at all the attitude in "off topic" here...I don't get it...

BucDan
08-14-2012, 4:50 PM
Nice job to handle it man. Yeah, that guy was a ***. I'm glad you went and talked to the lady after.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-14-2012, 5:03 PM
I've seem a few d-bags at the ammo case at walmart, poor lady, just because your on a budget doesn't mean you should be discourage from doing it, I borrewed guns for awhile till I could afford my first gun,

keenkeen
08-14-2012, 5:15 PM
Wait a second...I'm I hearing this right?!?!?

You ran into a rude, know it all, blowhard at Walmart?

I don't believe it!

:p

JK...sounds like you did the best you could given the situation.

Gryff
08-14-2012, 5:17 PM
Gunners tend to be rather opinionated, and unfortunately the brain-mouth-logic cable isn't always firmly plugged in.

TripleThreat
08-14-2012, 5:27 PM
Great thread, and unfortunately guns attract some, (clears throat) undesirable people.

USMC 82-86
08-14-2012, 6:36 PM
I saw a person at Field Time Sports today, who according to his conversation with the salesman now has most of the guns he wants in his collection. He says to the salesman I just want a nice S&W revolver. The Salesman pulls one from the counter, and the guy proceeds to take the gun now pointing at the salesman finger on the trigger and dry fires the gun twice. I could not believe what I just saw. This man proclaims to have almost every gun he wants in his collection and this is his idea of gun safety. The gentleman was in his 50's well dressed and sounded like a well educated man. The sad part is he is a gun owner and is completely ignorant when it comes to safely handling a firearm. Two other customers and myself all looked at each other and just shook our heads. Unbelievable how absent minded one can be at times.

GILMORE619
08-14-2012, 6:38 PM
The D bag probably works at Turners. Good job OP if you were not there the guy with the revolver would have been screwed with sig ammo and the clerk would have thought gun owners are a bunch of Pompous jerks

Bartin
08-14-2012, 7:11 PM
good for you for trying to show her the good side of gun owners. Every time I've tried buying ammo at walmart either there is noone there including a cashier or there is that one guy giving terrible advice to people.
Off point, but does walmart really carry 357Sig?!

BigMak911
08-14-2012, 7:23 PM
good for you for trying to show her the good side of gun owners. Every time I've tried buying ammo at walmart either there is noone there including a cashier or there is that one guy giving terrible advice to people.
Off point, but does walmart really carry 357Sig?!

Corona Walmart on McKinley had stacks of them. Don't remember the price offhand, but they were apparently cheaper than 357 mag.

Hecktic
08-14-2012, 7:31 PM
Gunners tend to be rather opinionated, and unfortunately the brain-mouth-logic cable isn't always firmly plugged in.
This and it seems that most of these guys like to hang out at Turners… And good job to the OP for being a good representative. Kudos to you sir ;)

Packy14
08-14-2012, 7:32 PM
1) guy probably works at turners
2) if its SD, i'm surprised the likely turners employee wasn't buying ammo to markup and sell at turners (they used to do that when I lived in SD.....pissed me off when there was no ammo to be had)
3) jerks are gonna be jerks, whether its on the road, on a forum, at a store, or at the range

phdo
08-14-2012, 8:01 PM
There are always some rotten apples.

Aces and 8s
08-14-2012, 8:02 PM
That's too bad. I love walmart for buying ammo, but that is about it. I have run into some uneducated people near the ammo in the past, so I do my best to educate them in the sport and be polite while doing so. Sometimes the misinformed have odd thoughts and it takes a lot not to be annoyed by them. By nature I am not a very patient person, so a few deep breathes and I am ready to be courteous and helpful.

yzernie
08-14-2012, 8:09 PM
Thank you for being a worthy ambasador for our sport. I'm sure the lady appreciated it as well.

RuggedJay
08-14-2012, 9:02 PM
It sounds like guy B was a douchebag ahole. I wouldnt want some self obssesed idiot like that to represent shooters in anyway.

Bill Carson
08-14-2012, 9:07 PM
The D bag probably works at Turners. Good job OP if you were not there the guy with the revolver would have been screwed with sig ammo and the clerk would have thought gun owners are a bunch of Pompous jerks

The D-Bag is probably a member on here.

bigfrank
08-14-2012, 9:09 PM
I don't want to brag but I was just at Walmart because I've got that kind of money... As I usually do when I go in there, I cruised the hunting/shooting section and there was a guy (guy A) in there asking for advice on tools and solvents and oils to clean his new S&W R8. I had never heard of it but he says it's an 8 shot 357, which sounded kinda neat.

We get them all the time in the gun store. Guy comes in asking basic questions about guns or safety, and while we are trying to answer the questions, other guy comes up and butts right in, making an *** of himself with obvious wrong info. Man, that kills me. Not sure what to do with people lie that, except to stop them and make sure the people get the right info.

Sounds like you did the right thing and found the Walmart lady... Hope her and her some takes you up on your offer. Thanks for being a good Steward for us.

dwtt
08-14-2012, 9:11 PM
guy (B) sounds like some of the experts here on Calguns. This guy probably doesn't shoot much or even own a gun, but repeats stuff he reads on websites and magazines to try to sound like an expert. My neighbor when I lived in north Oakland was looking for a rifle for home defense and came across one of these types. She just happened to run into the guy at the SF Gun Exchange, a place the guy talked a lot about and gave the impression he was a VIP there. It was very obvious to her he was nothing more than a blowhard and no expert. She ended up buying my Mini-14 for much less than retail and was happy with it.

InGrAM
08-14-2012, 9:35 PM
guy (B) sounds like some of the experts here on Calguns. This guy probably doesn't shoot much or even own a gun, but repeats stuff he reads on websites and magazines to try to sound like an expert. My neighbor when I lived in north Oakland was looking for a rifle for home defense and came across one of these types. She just happened to run into the guy at the SF Gun Exchange, a place the guy talked a lot about and gave the impression he was a VIP there. It was very obvious to her he was nothing more than a blowhard and no expert. She ended up buying my Mini-14 for much less than retail and was happy with it.

Exactly, In bold. Guy B is probably a liberal too like a lot of Calgunners.

kaligaran
08-14-2012, 10:27 PM
BigMak, I'm glad you spoke to her. That was the 'cool' thing to do.

And you are right, all groups have jerks. I'm glad you pointed that out.
Hopefully she acknoledged what you said.

safewaysecurity
08-14-2012, 10:34 PM
What a dbag. I really don't understand some people. I absolutely love when people and especially women how an interest in guns and shooting and this guy insults her because she's actually working to feed her child instead of collecting welfare.

BigMak911
08-14-2012, 10:44 PM
The D-Bag is probably a member on here.

Fortunately not... I actually asked him early in the conversation if he was because he was looking for a gun I have seen in the market place here at a good price. He said "at my age, I don't give a_____ about saving a few bucks... I want a new one."... In and of itself that is okay, but it should have been my first clue with the tone he used.

@safewaysecurity... I don't know how to add a quote on Tapatalk but I agree... And I do hope she brings her son by. I go at a time when I know I will be the only one at the range so hopefully he won't be intimidated. I will have my 10/22 for him to try out and, if he is willing, some pistols... Though I haven't found/been able to afford a 22lr pistol for myself yet. Soon though... Or maybe I should just leave guns altogether since I can't buy everything I want? :p

prob
08-14-2012, 11:07 PM

Actually, you sound like a pompous jerk yourself with the attitude I see here. You intimate that employment at Turner's somehow implies a pejorative connotation.

Not so.

Every time I've ever been to a Turner's establishment I've always been treated fairly and well.

Perhaps the problem lies with you.

prob
08-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Thank you for being a worthy ambasador for our sport. I'm sure the lady appreciated it as well.

I concur.

RekEnhanced
08-15-2012, 3:27 AM
I don't understand why it seems like there is so many elitest @-holes in our culture. I get so sick of seeing how many people get turned off to getting involved in shooting. As if it wasn't difficult enough to find information and places to get started. Once a person does find some face to face contact it's some d-bag the treats them like trash at the range, behind the counter at the gun store, or AT WALMART!

If you guys are reading this I implore you to pull the night stick out of your hind end, get off your high horse, and welcome new inexperienced shooters to the culture. Use all of that "expertise" and teach them instead of being so condescending.

:rant:

GILMORE619
08-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Actually, you sound like a pompous jerk yourself with the attitude I see here. You intimate that employment at Turner's somehow implies a pejorative connotation.

Not so.

Every time I've ever been to a Turner's establishment I've always been treated fairly and well.

Perhaps the problem lies with you.

Read up on the problems with Turners there's been quite a few threads on calguns. I'm sure I'm not the only one that stays far away from them.

RMikeL
08-15-2012, 2:05 PM
Guns ownership attracts those with poor social skills and attitudes. My guess is that most of them want to appear macho which, to them, means acting like a rude, know-it-all, wannabe alpha male.

Just try acting like a human being for once. Gun shop and range employees have my sympathies.

Mike

RekEnhanced
08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Guns ownership attracts those with poor social skills and attitudes. My guess is that most of them want to appear macho which, to them, means acting like a rude, know-it-all, wannabe alpha male.

Just try acting like a human being for once. Gun shop and range employees have my sympathies.

Mike

Understood. However when you work in customer service you have to understand that the newb next in line has no control over the gun shop employee's experience with the previous rude, know it all, alpha wannabe and thus his experience buying his first piece or his introduction to the culture shouldn't be ruined due to that. There is a reason people frequent the places they are treated well and will even pay more for the products for better treatment.

Fate
08-16-2012, 11:40 AM
He said "at my age, I don't give a_____ about saving a few bucks... I want a new one."... In and of itself that is okay, but it should have been my first clue with the tone he used.

He doesn't care about saving $? WTF is he doing shopping at Walmart then? Whatta loser.

em9sredbeam
08-16-2012, 12:06 PM
What a jack***. I hope you told him so before you walked away.

morfeeis
08-16-2012, 2:47 PM
Very unfortunate! Take a look at all the attitude in "off topic" here...I don't get it...
Some of them are very nice people but just like life *******s talk louder then the nice guys....

skosh69
08-16-2012, 5:16 PM
Good lord, that guy B was a total douche bag....you gotta just laugh those guys off and go on your merry way.

Good job for setting the record straight with the lady employee. Hope she takes advantage of your generosity.

skosh69
08-16-2012, 5:25 PM
You intimate that employment at Turner's somehow . ....

Can someone here please tell me what the hay'll this is supposed to mean???

Please don't use big words or extravagant saying's if you can't spell them properly!!!

I'm from NorCal and have visited Turner's on a few occasion's when visiting relatives and I agree with those that say that Turner's C/S is the sh***. I don't care how cheap their prices are, I'll never set foot into one of their stores again!

10mm
08-17-2012, 3:21 AM
Unfortunetly, there's tons of people on this forum exactly like poophead you mentioned. There are those of us that still have compassion and are able to empathize with our fellow man. I know a smart a*s is sure to contribute shortly.

1000stars
08-17-2012, 3:59 AM
Kudos to you bigmak911 for offering your time to teach her son at a range. We need the next generation to join us in our fight. Lets educate not alienate non-gun owners. Some gunners rude and ***holes.

Hey 10mm, I hope you are not referring to me. Have we met? Lol

10mm
08-17-2012, 4:03 AM
Kudos to you bigmak911 for offering your time to teach her son at a range. We need the next generation to join us in our fight. Lets educate not alienate non-gun owners. Some gunners rude and ***holes.

Hey 10mm, I hope you are not referring to me. Have we met? Lol

Lol! Naw man. You sound like the good folks that contribute to this forum. :beer: friend.

stix213
08-17-2012, 5:54 AM
Unfortunately you don't get 300 million guns in private hands without some dirt bags owning some of them too.

MikeR
08-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Give "B" a break, he probably forgot he wasn't on CGN. :p

Nick Justice
08-17-2012, 4:58 PM
Guns ownership attracts those with poor social skills and attitudes.

Mike

Maybe that's why we lose so many legal battles.

If so, time to be better people. Show the world that we are above reproach by being nigh-unto-perfect ladies and gentlemen.
So the stereotypes will disappear.