PDA

View Full Version : winchester/henry/marlin which lever action is best?

cpl_dan
08-14-2012, 12:54 PM
was watching some bonanza and thought to myself it would be cool to have a lever action like that also bonanza/gunsmoke where notorious for not having period firearms of the time.

anyways. which lever action is worth buying?

Winchester rifles are neat but pricey and Henry rifles aren't that pretty to me but marlins are nice and less expensive.

which one would you go with?

cudakidd
08-14-2012, 1:37 PM
Well...All three!

I have a Henry Golden Boy, best action out of the Box.

I have a Marlin Cowboy II in .22LR, gritty action but classic styling and feel.

Browning BL22 wasn't mentioned but shortest lever action, smallest of the lever action light, handy, my most accurate.

I have owned a 9422 and made the mistake of selling it way back. Now they command collectors prices...

InGrAM
08-14-2012, 2:05 PM
I have two Winchester lever guns:
1: Centennial '66 commemorative model 66
2: Cheif Crazy Horse commemorative model 94
Both are great looking guns and can be had for cheap

I also have a Henry Golden Boy which the finish is falling off on and it has never been used hard... but it shoots every time.

and a Savage model 99b in 300 savage. The coolest by far of the lever guns I have.

I would buy any of these lever guns. But I would say Winchester or savage(I know it is not on you list :rolleyes:)

wjc
08-14-2012, 3:15 PM
For me it would be a Henry or a Winchester Golden Boy....not a big Marlin fan.

I really like the look of both of those rifles!

DVSmith
08-14-2012, 3:24 PM
I have several of all of them in a variety of calibers. My favorite is the Marlin 39A in .22LR. Great little shooter. My 9422's are great as are the Henry's H004's. I shoot the Marlin the most though.

toby
08-14-2012, 3:29 PM
Winchester.......,Henry's are cool and Marlins rank high.

FSTJACK
08-14-2012, 3:59 PM
I have 2 Henry,s and a Winchester 9422.
The action on the Henry's seems to be smoother. They are both good and they are also both good shooters.
Its a toss up to me about which one is better. I really don't know which is better.
On any given day I will shoot the one that catches my eye. Some days I think the Winchester (vintage 1960's ) is better looking, and on other days I think I like the look of the Henry's better.
I am blessed to have quality problems.
Now you have me thinking what a Marlin would be like.
Sorry I read this post.

Thomas1190
08-14-2012, 4:14 PM
I really love the look of the Henrys. And they have a nice smooth action. I came super close to buying one before my I got my Marlin Cowboy Limited. I love that the Marlin is more practical, for me at least. My one and only big turn off was that the Henry doesnt have a loading gate in the reciever. You have to pull the magazine tube and load it that way, just like a tube loaded .22 etc. Now on my Marlin I just load it through the loading gate on the reciever and bam, I ready to go again. No pulling the magazine tube out and dropping rounds down. The Marlin action may not be as smooth, but its an incredibly simple and strong design. One screw and the lever pulls out, bolt comes out, and the ejector falls out, sometimes when you dont see it lol. Happened to me before :p

I vote for the Marlin, especially the ones that were made before Remington took them over, around 2008 I believe? Cant remember right off hand. Mine was made in 2000 and has the JM stamp on the barrel.

bohoki
08-14-2012, 4:54 PM
winchesters are the strongest
henrys are the smoothest operating
marlins are most accurate

cannon
08-14-2012, 4:58 PM
I prefer marlin.

Marlins eject out of the side. Winchesters out the top. Winchesters have thrown hot brass down the neck of my shirt and bounced them off my head. Marlins throw the hot brass about five feet to my right. ;)

prob
08-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Winchester or Marlin. But I'd stick to the pre-owned market when looking at Winchester lever guns. I just don't see how they can command the prices I've been seeing for the new guns. Come to think of it, look at used Marlins as well. The newer Marlins are kind of junky looking and don't have near the fit and finish of the older rifles.

john67elco
08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
I prefer marlin.

Marlins eject out of the side. Winchesters out the top. Winchesters have thrown hot brass down the neck of my shirt and bounced them off my head. Marlins throw the hot brass about five feet to my right. ;)

I have an old Marlin 30-30 my dad gave me and it has NEVER failed to shoot or eject. I love this gun.

Emdawg
08-14-2012, 10:51 PM
I have both a Marlin and a Winchester. Both are excellent guns, but I would rather beat up a new Marlin than take out an old Winchester, as the new ones are garbage.

1000stars
08-14-2012, 10:53 PM
voiceoftheright has one for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=605299

rusty815
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Savage 99

easy
08-15-2012, 8:13 PM
I like Marlins. But it's like cars, Ford, Chevy, Dodge. ymmv.

Cheep
08-16-2012, 4:54 AM
I have a Marlin 1894 in 44mag-great fun...

2nab
08-23-2012, 1:02 PM
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/hananilee/Rimfire/SAM_2402.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/hananilee/Rimfire/SAM_2403.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/hananilee/Rimfire/SAM_2401.jpg
photos for comparing henry Frontier model (top) vs early 9422 (bottom). Henry is well used and cared for. Winchester is new unfired. I haven't had guts to fire that first round. I'm a shooter not collector so I think I'll sell the 9422 while new and buy a used one I can put some dings into.

The shape, feel, balance etc. are extremely similar to me. I love the Henry but as indicated haven't had the heart to shoot the 9422.

norcal.xd
08-23-2012, 3:28 PM
i want to get a rossi ranch hand because it looks like the winchester that the rifleman had only smaller.

blazeaglory
08-23-2012, 10:49 PM
i want to get a rossi ranch hand because it looks like the winchester that the rifleman had only smaller.

Yeah me too but Marlin is a good gun. Theyve been making them for quite some time now.

Also, would those rossi's be considered an AOW? EDIT:Nevermind I guess they call them lever action repeating "pistols" now. I really like rossi too.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894SS.asp

doug-y-doug
08-23-2012, 11:36 PM
I think it depends on the caliber you want. If you want a .30-30, get a Winchester. If you want a .45-70, get a Marlin. If you go .45-70, try to get a used pre-Remington model because they're better better rifles and increasing in price.

-hanko
08-24-2012, 12:29 PM
IF the Marlin is what you like, find an older one without the button safety...Cerberus' (sp?) purchase of Marlin has reportedly caused some concerns in fit/finish, as it's done with Remington.

Check out... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1357194_Remington_bought_Marlin__what_happened_to_ Marlin_quality_.html

-hanko

63 tango
08-24-2012, 1:04 PM
I'd get a pre-64 Winchester 94 30-30

smattenson
08-24-2012, 1:43 PM
The one you like :D. I dunno I just put down on a marlin 45-70 guide gun and I cant wait to get it! Of course I was eyeballing a marlin 30/30 too :)

rabagley
08-24-2012, 3:34 PM
I prefer marlin.

+1 to this. Winchesters are beautiful firearms, but Marlin just makes a practical gun. My Winchesters appeal to my collector-of-beautiful-things side. My Marlins appeals to the beat-up-old-pickup-truck side.

I have never taken a serious look at any Henry (though I do own an original 1860 Henry rifle in .44 Henry Rimfire). The loading and receiver construction of the modern Henry were enough of a turn-off that I haven't been interested

rabagley
08-24-2012, 3:40 PM
IF the Marlin is what you like, find an older one without the button safety...Cerberus' (sp?) purchase of Marlin has reportedly caused some concerns in fit/finish, as it's done with Remington.

Check out... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1357194_Remington_bought_Marlin__what_happened_to_ Marlin_quality_.html

-hanko

You can also replace the crossbar safety with a saddle ring or a filler pin (http://beartoothmercantile-2.myshopify.com/collections/safety-deletes). On fit & finish, that thread has some huge exaggerations. It is important to do a teardown, cleaning, and lubrication of the major parts of a Marlin before you take it to the range. For whatever reason, I've always found that the action was gritty and annoying right out of the box, but after a cleaning, smoother and more reliable. But the gun will shoot and look pretty nice.

If you're buying one of the $100 Marlins, well, you get what you pay for.