PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 20ga Combo question

KR_H
08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
The more I read to educate myself, the more questions I have. Here's a hopefully easy-to-answer question:

I'm looking for a basic entry-level shotgun and have pretty much decided on the Mossberg 500 Combo (a sale going on right now). Does the 28" barrel have interchangeable chokes in case I get a notion to take off the 18.5" barrel to try my hand at skeet and other clay targets at the range?

Even a call to the Mossberg customer service line left me with little confidence in the answer. She spent an awful lot of time looking through her script book to muster up to say, "I think the 28-in barrel has interchangeable chokes."

Thanks in advance.

crackerman
08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Are you sure you do not mean the 12g. Currently the only combo on ad is 12g but I have seen 20g in some stores at the same time offered at that price.

The quandry is the 20g has a 26" barrel not a 28" barrel. Please clarify which one you mean. "traditionaly" at Big 5 the 20g combo will have adjustable chokes but the 12g will come with a fixed modified choke. A little tight for a begginer at skeet.

That leads to the other question, what clay game do you mean?
Skeet has high house/low house and doubles. Doable with a pump but not ideal for a first timer. Now if you mean trap which is one shot only at a time, then that fixed modified will work fine until you upgrade down the line or get the barrel threaded for chokes.

KR_H
08-14-2012, 1:11 PM
Are you sure you do not mean the 12g. Currently the only combo on ad is 12g but I have seen 20g in some stores at the same time offered at that price.

The quandry is the 20g has a 26" barrel not a 28" barrel. Please clarify which one you mean. "traditionaly" at Big 5 the 20g combo will have adjustable chokes but the 12g will come with a fixed modified choke. A little tight for a begginer at skeet.

That leads to the other question, what clay game do you mean?
Skeet has high house/low house and doubles. Doable with a pump but not ideal for a first timer. Now if you mean trap which is one shot only at a time, then that fixed modified will work fine until you upgrade down the line or get the barrel threaded for chokes.

See this link: http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503810&rapid=1749948&listingid=-2056928099&pretailerid=-98565

As you can see, the media people who put together the ad for Big 5 calls it a 2 gauge. Maybe it IS a 12-gauge and not a 20, though I specifically said I was looking for a 20-gauge. The manager who helped me didn't know much about the firearms counter and acted like I could be the next shooter in the news.

I appreciate the information and will make sure that what I want is what they have.

As I mentioned in my original post, the more I look into this, the more questions I have. Maybe on the second trip into the store, I can get someone who is more knowledgeable and can answer my questions rather than a clerk who has the proper keys.

KR_H
08-14-2012, 1:36 PM
That leads to the other question, what clay game do you mean? Skeet has high house/low house and doubles. Doable with a pump but not ideal for a first timer. Now if you mean trap which is one shot only at a time, then that fixed modified will work fine until you upgrade down the line or get the barrel threaded for chokes.

Crackerman, I seemingly dodged your question because, from your explanation, I guess I would try single trap. It's all new to me, but I just would hate to limit what I can do with this purchase and be sorry down the line by limiting what it can be used for.

mcmikeblues7
08-14-2012, 2:01 PM
Always get a gun with multiple purposes if you are not sure what you want it for. I would suggest a 12 gauge for clay shooting, basically everyone uses one for trap. But you can make up your own mind.
If you don't mind, why are you interested in the 20 gauge?

KR_H
08-14-2012, 2:11 PM
If you don't mind, why are you interested in the 20 gauge?

The kick factor. My shoulders are no longer in the 30-something range. Heck, not even in the 40-something if truth be told!

It was easier with the handgun purchase to be able to try out a few via rental. This all started with looking at an in-wall safe for the master bedroom. When I saw one that also accommodated a long rifle, the urge to get a shotgun for home defense kicked in. Everyone here warns about the fact you can't stop at just buying one. And I didn't believe a word of it....

surfguy
08-14-2012, 2:14 PM
If you look at the picture in the ad at Big 5, it says 12 gauge. The link says 2 gauge.

crackerman
08-14-2012, 3:46 PM
Look at the ad picture and it does say 12g, that said again I have been in stores where behind the tagged 12g combo was a 20g combo on sale for the same price, Specifically the Big 5 in Brea. ask around and have them look for you. As far as gun guys remember it’s a store that makes most of its money on shoes and the gun knowledge is highly variable. My local store in orange, most guys are really smart, where my dad got his they could barely spell gun.

20g is a fine clays game, hunting, and defensive caliber. The rabbit I took with mine did not complain and no bad guy will point out that you shot him with 8 pellets of 00 from a 20g vs. a 12g.

As far as clays games, if you are a novice shotgunner go play all 3 games, trap, skeet, and sporting clays. A pump is a great intro and can be used in all 3. You just have to be a bit faster once you get to doubles but my dad who has only ever been out 4 times was making hits on both clays in doubles trap last Saturday.

If you get hooked by the clay bug you can decide which game you like best and then get a gun more tailored to that.

Go buy it and have fun.

luckystrike
08-14-2012, 4:36 PM
or look for one in the market place here, hint hint;)

trew10
08-15-2012, 2:28 PM
I bought this combo picked it up today mine came with 28"vr barrel and a 18" smooth barrel for HD

Squid
08-15-2012, 3:10 PM
so you can eyeball what sort of barrel it is.

IIRC, they were selling "combos" with a long barrel w/out choke, which is kinda cheesy and almost misleading.

"factory" guns will have flush chokes rather than extended.

Thefeeder
08-15-2012, 5:31 PM
KR H

If you in the Bay Area.....You will learn a lot of info about shotguns and its very affordable.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=405000

In South Cal:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=329160

You will find some useful info in this post about chokes and recoil:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953