PDA

View Full Version : Help: How two Calguners can trade guns by shipping and FFL

elfstone
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi,
Two junior members with no Itrade history want to trade guns plus items and money. Both members look to be outstanding individuals with excellent guns to trade. One lives in So. Cal. one in Nor.Cal. both guns CA legal.

Yes, we both individually overnight the guns with insurance to the other persons preferred FFL. Each of us will do the paperwork at our FFL and wait for the gun there and the 10 day hold. No problem. The other items and money can be accomplished with no problem.

Question is: With no Itrade history on both, how can both parties be confident that the two guns involved is as advertised, works flawlessly, and is the gun advertised.
BECAUSE, as soon as each gun is shipped to the new owners FFL, its gone and cannot be 'returned'. No guarantee for Seller A that the new gun arriving from Seller B will be the gun advertised and pictured, or that it is in functioning let alone any flaws, WHILE Seller A's gun is already gone and shipped to Seller B's FFL (which FFL's do not care about inspection of private party tranfers and cannot 'return' once there)
Also, the concerns are vice versa for Seller B too.

Thoughts, expert advice from people who have done so??
Much appreciated.

Gryff
08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Question is: With no Itrade history on both, how can both parties be confident that the two guns involved is as advertised, works flawlessly, and is the gun advertised.

You can't. Until you see the gun, you are at the mercy of the seller.

About the only option that I can think of is to ask a friend in the region to inspect the firearm on your behalf.

Remember that when it comes to dealing with any kind of private sale that requires shipping, you should only pay what you are willing to lose. If you aren't willing to lose that amount of money, then you shouldn't be buying that particular item.

Edit: Actually there are online escrow companies out there, but that system has been a favorite of scammers because they provide the buyer with a feeling of security. The Better Business Bureau has info here: http://www.bbb.org/us/article/tips-to-avoid-online-escrow-fraud-553

JBaus
08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
you can't and there is no true guarantee from a PPT. Reputation goes a long way for some, but is just a word to others.

Jason P
08-14-2012, 12:07 PM
I can guarantee you that you will die and pay taxes. Any other guarantee is null and void...

fiddletown
08-14-2012, 2:11 PM
At the end of the day, every human transaction is a matter of trust. Either someone does what he promises or not. There is really no way to assure that a transaction will work out, other than choosing with whom you deal wisely and carefully (or perhaps by taking hostages -- but that's frowned upon and hostages require maintenance).

We lawyers can go through various machinations, at the considerable expense of our clients, to write contracts that clarify and offer some security for a transaction. But no contract or other legal mechanism can guarantee performance. It only provides a remedy for a lack of performance.

elfstone
08-14-2012, 2:14 PM
Thanks for the answers posters. Very helpful but sad too.

Jason, I don't know what collateral you put up for your guarantee taxes and death but hopefully not much. Thousands of people living in the US don't pay taxes as well as millions of humans worldwide.

Jason P
08-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Do you buy products? Own a house or car? You pay taxes. Don't be naive.

elfstone
08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Do you buy products? Own a house or car? You pay taxes. Don't be naive.

I guess I was taking your original sentence literally and a guarantee to all.
But I understand now it was just to me.
Yes, I do all those. But not every person does, hence my bad attempt at sarcasm. Cheers