PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm Rimless Revolver

zombiescanlearn
08-14-2012, 9:18 AM
Has anyone shot this before? I couldn't find it on the CA safe list, am I wrong about that? Sure like to get my hands on one.

cnj
08-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Not on the list, but if it ever makes it there, I will own one. I like everything about my Taurus 905 BUT the moonclips, and the Pitbull needs none of those.

jessegpresley
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I'd rather get a S&W .38 and have it machined to shoot 9mm for $250 then to spend $400 on a Charter.

zombiescanlearn
08-14-2012, 5:34 PM
I'd rather get a S&W .38 and have it machined to shoot 9mm for $250 then to spend $400 on a Charter.

this can be done? Can any gunsmith do it?

1911Operator
08-14-2012, 6:08 PM
Try to google it, it can be done. Not too many places do it. So 95% of the time your going to have to send it in and have it done. 9mm revolver is kinda like sanding against the grain. Very doable but its not plesant. After shooting, you have alot of casings stuck in the cylinder due to metals expanding because of heat and pressure.

cnj
08-14-2012, 8:25 PM

So you will have to pay ~$400 for a S&W revolver and then another $250 for the machining and end up with no guaranteed reliability and no warranty whatsoever. No thanks. I'll take the $400 Charter every time. At least you can re-sell the Charter if you don't like it. The Smith will be a "white elephant" that you may have a hard time selling.

cnj
08-14-2012, 8:36 PM
Try to google it, it can be done. Not too many places do it. So 95% of the time your going to have to send it in and have it done. 9mm revolver is kinda like sanding against the grain. Very doable but its not plesant. After shooting, you have alot of casings stuck in the cylinder due to metals expanding because of heat and pressure.

No. Not all 9mm revolvers. I can only speak for the Taurus (not the custom machined ones), but, even though I don't like having to use the moonclips in my model 905, when I do use them, I have zero extraction problems. I would imagine that a properly "engineered from the ground up" design would function without hiccups.

Red Devil
08-14-2012, 8:37 PM
Why fool w/ the 9mm?

When you could get the...

Charter Arms Pit Bull Rimless Double-Action Revolver in 40 S&W (http://www.gunblast.com/Charter-PitBull.htm)

pheyos
08-14-2012, 8:39 PM
I read a review on the .40 CARR but didn't see a 9mm on Charter Arms's website at the time. Glad to see it's there now. I'd be up for giving it a try.

Quiet
08-14-2012, 8:42 PM
The Charter Arms Pitbull 9x19mm Rimless Revolver and Pitbull .40S&W Rimless Revolver are not on the Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale.

They also do not meet the dimensional requirements necessary to qualify under the single-action revolver exemption.

Therefore, a CA FFL dealer can only transfer it via LEO sale, PPT or out-of-state intra-familial gift.

cnj
08-14-2012, 8:50 PM
Why fool w/ the 9mm?

When you could get the...

Charter Arms Pit Bull Rimless Double-Action Revolver in 40 S&W (http://www.gunblast.com/Charter-PitBull.htm)

That is just SWEET!

cnj
08-14-2012, 8:52 PM
The Charter Arms Pitbull 9x19mm Rimless Revolver and Pitbull .40S&W Rimless Revolver are not on the Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale.

They also do not meet the dimensional requirements necessary to qualify under the single-action revolver exemption.

Therefore, a CA FFL dealer can only transfer it via LEO sale, PPT or out-of-state intra-familial gift.

Hopefully we will see these on the list someday! If I get time, I will email Charter and see if they plan to submit for Ca. Approval.

chingdaotze
08-14-2012, 10:53 PM
I actually emailed Nick Ecker (president of Charter Arms) about the 9mm Pitbull about a year ago (9/18/2011):

Dear Mr. Ecker,

I was wondering if your company is planning to release a Pit Bull in 9mm
for the California market. If so, I'll gladly save my money to buy it.
If not, please let me know so I won't save money for a firearm I'll
never be able own. You're probably a very busy man, so thank you for
taking the time to reply to this email!

Best,
Michael Ching

and got this response:

Dear Mr. Ching,

We will get it approved for CA. but not until next year.

Thank you for your interest in our company.

Sincerely,

Nick

Still waiting :D

cnj
08-15-2012, 4:42 AM
I actually emailed Nick Ecker (president of Charter Arms) about the 9mm Pitbull about a year ago (9/18/2011):

Dear Mr. Ecker,

I was wondering if your company is planning to release a Pit Bull in 9mm
for the California market. If so, I'll gladly save my money to buy it.
If not, please let me know so I won't save money for a firearm I'll
never be able own. You're probably a very busy man, so thank you for
taking the time to reply to this email!

Best,
Michael Ching

and got this response:

Dear Mr. Ching,

We will get it approved for CA. but not until next year.

Thank you for your interest in our company.

Sincerely,

Nick

Still waiting :D

Good stuff. I'll do a follow up email to them.

64physhy
08-15-2012, 6:36 AM
I've had my eye on the .40 pitbull. Glad to see they plan on getting them listed. Since I'm stationed in AZ, I'll be able to get one before then. I've noticed that the price has gone up about $50 over the last few months on gallery of guns.

littlejake
08-15-2012, 9:39 AM
Why not go for the Bulldog in .44 spl. It's on the list and has good punch.

jessegpresley
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
So you will have to pay ~$400 for a S&W revolver and then another $250 for the machining and end up with no guaranteed reliability and no warranty whatsoever. No thanks. I'll take the $400 Charter every time. At least you can re-sell the Charter if you don't like it. The Smith will be a "white elephant" that you may have a hard time selling.

It's funny you bring up "reliability" and resale as reasons to buy a Charter over a Smith & Wesson!

Charter guns are considered by many to be junk. Look on Gunbroker to see how much S&W 940 9mm wheel guns sell for. A 642 converted by the respected TK Customs company to shoot 9mm would sell easier than a used Charter.

zombiescanlearn
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Why not go for the Bulldog in .44 spl. It's on the list and has good punch.

Trying to cut down on the variety of ammo I'm using.

zombiescanlearn
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Good stuff. I'll do a follow up email to them.

Please let us know what the reply is. Thanks.

cnj
08-15-2012, 7:30 PM
It's funny you bring up "reliability" and resale as reasons to buy a Charter over a Smith & Wesson!

Charter guns are considered by many to be junk. Look on Gunbroker to see how much S&W 940 9mm wheel guns sell for. A 642 converted by the respected TK Customs company to shoot 9mm would sell easier than a used Charter.

And many don't like Smiths either. I never mentioned the factory built 940 9mm. Only the custom machined S&W you spoke of. As far as a converted Smith selling easier than a stock Charter, well, I guess we will have to disagree.

CapnHawk
08-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Get a S&W 547 - if you can find one.

cnj
08-16-2012, 4:39 AM

Totally agree with you there. They are sweet! But yeah, finding one is going to be quite a challenge!

wild_weasel
08-16-2012, 6:17 AM
I'd like to see a Ruger LCR in 9mm using "moon" clips.

Cheers,
W-W

VegasND
08-16-2012, 7:05 AM
I've been watching for oneat a reasonable price for years but IF you find one the seller always seems to think they're made of gold.

A friend of mine has one he never shoots. He lets me shoot it whenever I want but he won't sell it to me. Rather frustrating.

Totally agree with you there. They are sweet! But yeah, finding one is going to be quite a challenge!