PDA

View Full Version : Gun store consignment etiquette question?

ShooterDK
08-14-2012, 7:06 AM
I'm looking at a Winchester 22 that's in a store on consignment. It's been there awhile and, I think, over priced. Is it acceptable to offer a lower price for a firearm that's on consignment?

It would mean that store contacts seller and gets seller to agree to lower price. OK, but would it be considered proper etiquette?

robcoe
08-14-2012, 7:09 AM
I'm looking at a Winchester 22 that's in a store on consignment. It's been there awhile and, I think, over priced. Is it acceptable to offer a lower price for a firearm that's on consignment?

It would mean that store contacts seller and gets seller to agree to lower price. OK, but would it be considered proper etiquette?

don't know about everywhere, but I know that Turners will do this. In general I see no problem with it.

Pancho Villa's Armory
08-14-2012, 7:11 AM
Yo can deal on anything new or used, all they can say is no.

biglou
08-14-2012, 7:16 AM
I put a rifle on consignment a few years ago. They asked me what my bottom line was and priced it however they wanted. So yeah, make a reasonable offer.

ShooterDK
08-14-2012, 7:20 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll give it a try!

drkphibr
08-14-2012, 7:35 AM

Absolutely. If it's been there a while, the owner knows the price is currently higher than folks want to pay. The worst that can happen is the seller says "no".

joelogic
08-14-2012, 7:58 AM
The only thing I have never haggled for was a meal.

redcliff
08-14-2012, 8:46 AM
I've haggled price on consignment guns many times, always with some measure of success. Sometimes they've had to contact the consignor to get his ok.

five.five-six
08-14-2012, 8:50 AM

Yes, please do. Find who is responsible for taking in the consignments and offer an explanation as to why you think your offering a reasonable price. the last thing gun stores want to do is waste shelf space with overpriced consignments for years on end.

believe it or not, just because someone works at a gunstore does not mean they know everything about guns.