PDA

View Full Version : Plan on scouting out Tumey Hills for shooting spots

Zartan
08-14-2012, 7:55 AM
Then I read they are closed to vehicle access thru mid-october. I've never been here and my nephews 17th bday is coming up mid Sept. I owe him some shoot time since his last bday, and I want to make it a good one.

If it's closed to vehicle access, I'm pretty much hosed until opened again yes?

Czsp-01-9mm
08-14-2012, 10:24 AM
The gate is open year round at tumey hills, that's were I go shooting, and if it is closed which I've never seen it closed you can walk in and shoot, that place has been getting really bad people trashing it so please clean up after, so they don't shut it down, I'll be heading there this weekend

Zartan
08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks CZ. Rest assured we'll be going in with bags/totes/rakes/shovels.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-14-2012, 1:05 PM
They even have a bathroom that's one of the reason I keep going, if you go on a weekday more than likely you won't see anybody there, have fun and stay safe

Zartan
08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I planned on just scouting out, but maybe I'll pop off a few rounds. Might as well right, it is a 2hr drive. I'll report back how it goes.

JBaus
08-15-2012, 2:26 PM
I'm over in the delta as well. Let me know if it's worth the 2hr drive instead of USI in concord.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-15-2012, 2:37 PM
No point in driving 2 hours and not let a couple rounds loose, no shade, there's a couple spots where you can shot past 100-200 yards

fremont lapua
08-15-2012, 3:23 PM
Can I get a car in there, or is it truck/SUV only. I tried to go to candy rock and could not get my car to the range. Can you pm me with better location details. I would like to drive down there but want to make sure I am in a legal spot. Are their signs that say where to shoot. I live in the bay area so it is 3+ hour drive for me, so when I go, I will want to be able to shoot.

fremont lapua
08-15-2012, 3:26 PM
I have a 2005 Pontiac GTO. But could take a Prius. I just need to know how to get there. I know it is off I-5. I have stayed in a hotel in Lost Hills.

canative
08-15-2012, 3:39 PM
I-5 south to W. Panoche Rd., Not Little Panoche Rd. that will take you to Panoche Hills, you will pass that one first. W. Panoche exit is farther south. There is a couple gas stations, restaurants, Apricot Inn. Exit west and go about a mile or two and you will see the sign for Tumey Hills. Car will be fine. Take some shade as it gets hot as hell sometimes and clean up after yourself.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-15-2012, 3:44 PM
Last range trip there I got heat exhaustion, yeah I take my little green ford focus through there no problem, so as long as you not driving a Lamborghini your good, if you guys ever see a light green ford focus don't be afraid to say hi

fremont lapua
08-15-2012, 3:58 PM
Great, thanks so much for the info. I will not only pick up after myself but will clean up as much as I can from other people. I reload so I will collect anybody's brass. Will also bring trash bags for other peoples targets if I see ones left. I do not want to see any place get shut down or off limited to shooters as we need more places to shoot not less.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-15-2012, 4:15 PM
There's tons of brass there so you could make a small profit on it, I shoot with my trunk open so my brass goes in there one less things to pick up,

fremont lapua
08-15-2012, 4:23 PM
Just looked on maps on my iPad, is it just off the road. I found the exit with the Foster Freeze, but can't spot where exactly to go. It is closer then I thought though, I eat at Anderson's pee soup once in a while. What are the rules as far as how far from paved road and do they have any non shooting hours, like a candy rock you can't shoot on Sundays or after 6 pm any other day. I just don't want to drive down there and not be able to find it. Does the area have cell service with 3G. Thanks for answering all my questions.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-15-2012, 4:34 PM
Yeah just keep taking panoche rd it will turn into a dirt road and just keep driving there's a sign that says tumey hills on the left, just turn into the gate and find a spot

fremont lapua
08-15-2012, 6:48 PM
Thanks, I will either go tomorrow or Friday or when I get back from Oregon in mid September. Debating shooting at tumey hills or going to the big Reno gun show on Friday. Maybe I should start a poll.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-15-2012, 7:20 PM
I'll be going to the Fresno gun show in the 15-16th if September then I'll be at tumey the 22nd it will be my birthday shoot

fremont lapua
08-16-2012, 10:37 AM
The 22 of September is my aunts birthday. Mine is comming up on October 8.

fremont lapua
08-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Just got back, went to tumey hills for first time and the place is great. I cleaned up all my targets and collected all my brass and several handfuls of brass just sitting there, a lot more cleanup still needs to be done but the place is great. Their was no one else there, assuming as it was a Thursday.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-17-2012, 5:26 PM
Good to hear it usually doesn't get to busy, Sunday has more people than Saturday don't know why. I do early to beat the heat

fremont lapua
08-18-2012, 4:36 PM
Also went upto the big Reno gun show yesterday and got back late at night. The place is huge, It takes up 2 large rooms and for a $10 daily pass it is well stocked. Not super great on magazine prices and I only asked one guy if he would sell me high caps as a rebuild kit and he told me California passed a law stating rebuild kits are now illegal to import, I told him I just received one in the mail a couple days ago and left figuring he just did not want to sell to Ca residents. I did get a nice target stand assembly to take to my next trip to tumey hills. I got 1000 rounds of 9mm new ammo for $199. Also got the lula pistol mag loader and it is great. You also must stop at Scheels IMO. They have a ferris wheel INSIDE the store.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-31-2012, 3:51 PM
Then I read they are closed to vehicle access thru mid-october. I've never been here and my nephews 17th bday is coming up mid Sept. I owe him some shoot time since his last bday, and I want to make it a good one.

If it's closed to vehicle access, I'm pretty much hosed until opened again yes?
Did you ever get a chance to make it out to tumey hills?