PDA

View Full Version : Selling guns brings sadness and pain

CS49er
08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I just like to say that selling guns pains the sh** out of me. That is my venting.
But I guess when I graduate and make more money I can buy more!

9mmrevolver
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
They have to have some sort of hotline u can call

IrishPirate
08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
every gun i've sold has been to finance another gun....so i have no problems selling guns (yet), though i can imagine the heartache of HAVING to sell a gun just to get by... :(

fighterpilot562
08-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I have yet to sell a gun, and hope to never have too..

phdo
08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I've only sold one gun out of all the ten or so years I've been a gun owner. It was fairly recent too. I sold a wheel gun I wasn't really shooting anymore to get a wheel gun I've been lusting over since I started collecting. It still pains me but I had to do what needed to be done.

Surf & Turf
08-13-2012, 10:35 PM
The only cure for such pain is to go and buy TWO or TREE as replacements!:D

xtra870
08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Im worried the day is gonna come this year i might have to sell a gun to pay for school :( its going to be a sad day if that comes about. I think if it comes to that though ill resort to finding a different way to make money like selling compost from my dairy haha

XVIga_Rob
08-13-2012, 11:05 PM
every gun i've sold has been to finance another gun....so i have no problems selling guns (yet), though i can imagine the heartache of HAVING to sell a gun just to get by... :(

+1

When you do buy again, upgrade! ;)

Colt562
08-13-2012, 11:23 PM
I have yet to sell a gun.....yet. I hope my collection grows insteads of declines

trob
08-13-2012, 11:45 PM
I have yet to sell a gun.....yet. I hope my collection grows insteads of declines

I think of it as evolving or refining my "collection". I can only use a certain amount so I only really own guns that I have a logical explanation for. I don't like having money tied up in something that just sits there. I usually sell something to buy a similar version, but is upgraded in some way. So the quality keeps going up, but the number hovers around the same amount.

I have an excellent array without any real duplicates. i think of it as sort of maximizing my potential. :D

hcbr
08-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Regretted letting go of my remington 700, felt guilty of letting it go without finishing a project on it. But alas, i don't regret buying my other guns for it. Besides, i sold it to my best friend who lets me shoot it from time to time.

But yeah, with the current guns i have now, they're like children, don't want to give them up for any reason!

SNEAKS
08-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Ive had to do it alot these last few years. Times have been tuff for me with bills and what not. I know that it will bounce back though and Ill be back to buying again. I just hope its sooner than later.

SilverTauron
08-14-2012, 3:16 AM
I once read an excerpt from a financial advice book years back.The author had a bad turn of luck in business, and the only bill he was current on was his Jaguar payment. As the story goes the electrical utilities guy saw the car before he pulled the plug on the meter for non-payment.

We all value our guns, but don't be that guy with past due rent and a 20 gun collection. Most of America "back in the day" got along just fine on one rifle, which isn't a truth you'll see on "Tactical Dude Magazine".

stix213
08-14-2012, 3:35 AM
Focus on buying rather than selling then.

hotfire
08-14-2012, 5:35 AM
It pains me to say that I had to sell a gun for an unexpected vet bill . I was so furious but the cat has been with us for over 5 years and is part of the family. I have almost save up enough to buy its replacement.

NOTABIKER
08-14-2012, 6:27 AM
i have a co worker that is a great dad, always puts his family first. he loves guns and is always looking at the turners add. i have enough guns. so i gave him my first Mosin Nagant. i felt better giving it to him than i would have just keeping it. it is good to pass the love around. no i will not give you a gun:p

keenkeen
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Never sold any till the last few months...

I truth it does not bother me. I have way more guns than I can shot on even a semi-regular basis.

Instead of taking up room in the safe, just pass them on and put the money in the bank or use it on other projects. It has actually kinda motivated me to clear out some other extra stuff in my life that is just sitting and not being used on a regular basis.

That said, I have not sold anything that would not be replaceable if "I could just not live without it".

Nookieaki
08-14-2012, 12:09 PM
My senior year @ Fresno State I sold my desert sand Walther P99 to pay for tuition and graduated but my friend who bought from me doesnt want to sell it back. :(

Fishslayer
08-14-2012, 2:33 PM
I put an FEG 9mm on consignment to pay for a MoNag months ago. Came into some $$$ so I paid off the rifle and considered keeping the pistol. I've found I don't really miss the nine too much so it's still for sale.

Yugo
08-14-2012, 2:36 PM
I have never sold one before I only buy your rant is the reason I have not done it, in fact I was just thinking about getting rid of an AR51 to buy/build a AR10 but just could not do it so im saving to buy it.

wisefire
08-14-2012, 2:42 PM
Never plan on selling any of my guns, just keep adding to the collection.

Sky_DiveR
08-14-2012, 6:46 PM
Never plan on selling any of my guns, just keep adding to the collection.

Sometimes easier said than done. Sometimes life throws ya a curveball. Like a major emergency (medical, home, car, etc) or laid off from work for an extended length of time. Sometimes the kids just gotta have something to eat. If ya haven't had one yet, keep your chin up, your turns comin'.

toby
08-14-2012, 6:50 PM
They come and they go.

Sticka
08-14-2012, 6:52 PM
Guns and motorcycles should never be sold. It is a sin! :D

prob
08-14-2012, 11:12 PM
They're just things. Cool things, but things nonetheless.

RekEnhanced
08-15-2012, 3:31 AM
I sold off 3 of my beloveds to raise some money when a family member got into financial hardship. It's been over a year and I am still not over it. I just finally bought my first piece 2 weeks ago since "the Great Sell Off."

@ CS49er - I feel your pain.

The War Wagon
08-15-2012, 5:16 AM
Been there, done that, got the degrees to prove it. I have ONE firearm still from wehn I was working on my Masters degree, and NONE from my undergrad days (when I owned DOZENS), but it gets better. What I own today is of MUCH higher quality than back in those days (save for my HK91, wheich I REALLY wish I had back... :().

TripleThreat
08-15-2012, 5:23 AM
As it should.

I've sold a few guns in my day. Mostly they were guns I didn't really gel with or to trade up to another weapon.

There is one gun however that I wished I had never sold, a Ruger SP101. I may get another one day.

Arkangel
08-15-2012, 9:13 AM
I have only sold one gun, it was a PITA Sig Mosquito. I don't regret getting rid of it. I hope never to have to sell one due to financial hardship

tbc
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
No sadness here. I sold one and bought another one. Sometimes two...

Maltese Falcon
08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a Sigma 40 I never use.

I suppose I could let it go, but in the back of my head I think if SHTF I can lend it to a relative or neighbor.

SNCaliber
08-15-2012, 11:56 AM
guns come and go, there are higher priorities