PDA

View Full Version : Best Skeet / HD shotgun out there?

madstyle1
08-13-2012, 9:02 PM
Is the remington really the best one out there? I've search on this forum as well as google and there are so many options.

Whats the different about nitro mag? express?

smittty
08-13-2012, 9:27 PM
By Remington do you mean 870?

Skeet and HD have different needs. The 870 works for skeet but an O/U or seme-auto is more common and prefered.

I have used a coach gun for skeet and trap and it does ok but my 30" barreled O/U is better.

Having said that I wouldn't use my 30" O/U for hd unless it was the only gun I had. Having only 2 shots doesn't bother me it's just too bloddy long!

If it's your first shotgun the 870 is perfect.

TheHammerOfTruth
08-13-2012, 9:30 PM
By Remington do you mean 870?

Skeet and HD have different needs. The 870 works for skeet but an O/U or seme-auto is more common and prefered.

I have used a coach gun for skeet and trap and it does ok but my 30" barreled O/U is better.

Having said that I wouldn't use my 30" O/U for hd unless it was the only gun I had. Having only 2 shots doesn't bother me it's just too bloddy long!

If it's your first shotgun the 870 is perfect.

This...those 2 guns will not even be close tothe same thing.

CK_32
08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
By search did you mean read the title and first 2 responces of a few threads??

Because every thread on this topic after the 4th post get to the favorite debates and answer your question... :facepalm:

mikajo39
08-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Well skeet and HD shotguns usually differ significantly. If you want I'd reccomend either a mossberg 500 or remington 870 combo deal with the 18.5 barrel and the 28. Both are solid and don't lock you into the permanent role of a HD or skeet shotgun. If purely HD an old police model 870, Winchester 1300, or mossberg 590A1 will be perfect.

However I have heard that some of the new 870 expresses have had some issues from the factory. Buy whatever feels best to you. Take your time and shop around. Most of all have fun!

IrishPirate
08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
you mean best shotgun that can swap barrels for skeet and HD right??......Mossberg 500.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXl2QM9nL079k37pQrBIOA3JWbm86Fi ecu_MDR4GjGM4MQGB4s

emsfire1984
08-13-2012, 11:37 PM
By search did you mean read the title and first 2 responces of a few threads??

Because every thread on this topic after the 4th post get to the favorite debates and answer your question... :facepalm:

^^These threads are for friendly conversation not individuals who are bitter. If you having nothing to add that can help why post.

There are a lot of great shotguns to shoot clays with best whay to see what you like is to go to a clay range and try different stuff out. The 870 is a great all aroud shotgun that will do pretty much anything and keep on ticking.

BigDogatPlay
08-14-2012, 6:11 AM
If the desire is to truly shoot the game of skeet, then a semi-auto or an over under is a far better choice. In that respect a semi-auto (while not my first choice for the role) with and extra shorter length barrel would fill the HD bill. Pumps will work on a skeet field but IMO they aren't going to be able to perform the same as an auto or O/U.

If the desire is to informally bust some clays once in a while, or shoot singles trap, as well as defend the home then the pump is most likely the best all around choice.

The bottom line is to find the one that fits you the best. That means the one that hits your shoulder pocket the same every time. The one that gives you consistently the best sight picture every time you put the gun to your shoulder.

The "industry standards" are the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500. Those two models are the most prevalent and have the most robust support and parts infrastructure behind them and have the benefit of being time tested designs with tens of millions of examples in use around the world. There are many other models out there, some very good and some less then good. Shop around and don't buy the first thing you land on.

madstyle1
08-14-2012, 6:23 AM
I really fell in love with a Remington 870. I have yet to look into the mossberg 500. I'll probably doing skeet once a month so it's probably going to be more of HD first.

I have search and alot of members here like the mossberg so that's good to know .. Also glad that both models come with many aftermarket parts to customize.

jrock
08-14-2012, 6:46 AM
in addition the the op, i was also wondering diff b\w 887 nitro mag and 870 express. same price +- $20
887=semiauto?maybe doesnt have interchangeable barrell?
can both be upgraded o pistol grips?

CK_32
08-14-2012, 7:26 AM
^^These threads are for friendly conversation not individuals who are bitter. If you having nothing to add that can help why post.

There are a lot of great shotguns to shoot clays with best whay to see what you like is to go to a clay range and try different stuff out. The 870 is a great all aroud shotgun that will do pretty much anything and keep on ticking.

Nothing abou being bitter I have nothing to be bitter about accept the fact that people are too lazy to do anything on their own.. I just googled this exact question and found 5 links to his exact question..

I'm all for good conversation to actually learn something or put input but why reinvent the wheel... 500 times a week.. If he wanted to talk about the shotgun by all means have at it I'll join in.. But he just doesn't want to do research him self and have people do his homework for him.. Which then will leard to him learning nothing and then after he buys his shot gun ask another question of "what should I buy for it" then "what ammo should I use" then foollowed by "how do I get better"... Because he won't want to look it up him self when it's out there he just needs to look.. And we sit here and just keep filling the boards with these already answered questions..

It probably doesn't bother you due to you being a semi new member but when you see this question in almost EVERY subforum at lest 2 times a week for 3 to 4 years and answered it at least 100 times to help a new guy out.. yea it gets annoying..

It's lazyness at its best.. But just to not look like I'm "bitter" here op I'll help you out...

>>>>Click here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+shotgun+for+home+defense+and+skeet)<<<<

madstyle1
08-14-2012, 7:54 AM
Call me lazy that's fine, but being new to this hobby I just wanted to get opinions on what everyone really thinks. Doing a search is helpful but yet it's filtered in so many ways. Your research maybe different that mine. I totally understand where your coming from on threads being repetitive cuz I've seen it too, but understand that if it really bothered you, you didn't have to chime in at all.

CK_32
08-14-2012, 8:22 AM
Call me lazy that's fine, but being new to this hobby I just wanted to get opinions on what everyone really thinks. Doing a search is helpful but yet it's filtered in so many ways. Your research maybe different that mine. I totally understand where your coming from on threads being repetitive cuz I've seen it too, but understand that if it really bothered you, you didn't have to chime in at all.

It's nothing against you personally and I understand we're all new at some point. I'm just saying its not hard to find most of these answers..

It's just a lot of the members here have put in a lot of time and effort into what we know it kind of bugs when you see something you could find in a few seconds being asked like its an impossible question..

YouTube and google will have just about all you need to know.. Look up reviews and comparisons and just specs on the guns.

But Remington is a great shotgun to start but there is no best.. Stick to the 500/590/870 shotuns and start there. Can't go wrong and great starter shotuns.

08-14-2012, 4:38 PM
You may have a problem shooting at some ranges, as most have a minimum barrel length.

Just buy an extra barrel and you are good to go.

Mana4real
08-15-2012, 1:04 PM
I used my buddies home defense shotgun (mossberg 500) for shooting skeet a few weeks ago and I let him try my over under. I only shot it for 1 round and I scored 21. Not bad for my first time shooting a pump for skeet. It only had the 20" barrel with cylinder/no choke. I really enjoyed it. Only thing is that it's so light that it hits a lot harder than my O/U. I still had a blast shooting it though. It makes me want to buy a short barrel for my 870 to use for HD and play around on the skeet field. My range allows anything over 18" to be shot as long as its shoulder mounted. But having to cycle the gun didn't change my performance at all, but I always use an over/under. I hope that was helpful.

eclectic
08-15-2012, 1:36 PM
I really fell in love with a Remington 870. I have yet to look into the mossberg 500. I'll probably doing skeet once a month so it's probably going to be more of HD first.

Lol, planning on shooting an intruder more than once a month?:sleeping:

madstyle1
08-16-2012, 6:41 AM
^^^^ never know nowadays^^^^

lol

CSACANNONEER
08-16-2012, 6:45 AM
A pump is NOT what you want for skeet. It'll do fine for trap but, it's not the best choice for doubles.

That said, your question is like asking what the best boat is for deep sea fishing and duck hunting in rivers. While you can find something that'll do both. It won't be "best" for either application.

madstyle1
08-16-2012, 7:38 AM
After reading and doing more research Ill probably just get a h
Shotgun for skeet and another for HD... I will need to purchase a tall safe first maybe a 10-gun safe with electronic keypad

OutlawDon
08-16-2012, 7:47 AM
Yes, just get an O/U shotgun for skeet/clay and another one for HD.

I'm on the same boat as you are and was researching a do-all shotgun.

Ultimately, it's a trade off. I have plenty of guns for HD already, and make no mistake....that HD shotgun is going to sit there 99.9999% of the time collecting dust. How often are we really going to use it for HD vs going to shoot skeet? I'd say we'd use it a lot more for sporting events.

Spend the money and effort into first looking for a good skeet gun.

.300 Weatherby Mag
08-16-2012, 9:25 AM
The absolute best combo is to get an 870 Wingmaster with a 26" or 28" barrel and then get a 18" cylinder bore barrel for home defense.. I own a wood-stocked Mossberg 500 combo and while I like it and it goes bang every-time its not on the same planet as the Wingmaster... I know there's a big price difference but its worth it... It may not be the ideal skeet gun, but I shoot a 23 or 24 after not shooting it for months without too much trouble... It takes practices but you can get good at shooting skeet with a pump.. Does it work as good as my target guns?? No it doesn't... But an O/U with 30" barrels and extended chokes it not a great choice for SD... Unless you buy purpose built guns for each application you are making a compromise..

james1484
08-16-2012, 9:54 AM
go to range look at what people have o/u semi or what ever that is the best way . Skeet and trap not with a hd gun it just what you need.

CSACANNONEER
08-16-2012, 10:07 AM
that HD shotgun is going to sit there 99.9999% of the time collecting dust.

Yep. I've had a loaded, unplugged 500 in my living room for the last three years. I've grabbed it once when 3 unknown pits came into my yard and I went out to have a talk with them. They left before I could get to my gate but, I watched them walk 300 or 400 yards to the main dirt road while holding the 500 in my hand. Other than that, I haven't held or shot the dusty gun in several years. I do shoot most of my other shotguns every few months or so.

madstyle1
08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
ya so true... Ill look into O/U more now...

My father in law has a benelli and its nice and light and good for skeet..

Thefeeder
08-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I have to agree with CASCANNONEER.....I still have a box of 00 buck sitting for about 10-12 years....but shoot hundreds of rounds a month on the clay fields

Read this post for some good shotgun info

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953

Mana4real
08-18-2012, 9:30 AM
It's just as easy to shoot skeet with a pump as with a semi or a O/U. You'll have trouble at first anyways, but you're cycling the gun as you're aiming for the other bird anyways. It'll make you a better shot.

stilly
08-18-2012, 9:47 AM
Seriously? Pumps SUCK on the skeet field. I have seen several folks choke when pumping on a double. If I wanted to screw around and was already a crack shot on the skeet field then I would use a pump just because it is harder. But I would rather break more clays instead. Pick up an 870 or a mossy 590 (with M-7 bayonet for ****s and giggles) and then look for a REmy 1187 or O/U (Browning Citori?) for skeet...

If the desire is to truly shoot the game of skeet, then a semi-auto or an over under is a far better choice. In that respect a semi-auto (while not my first choice for the role) with and extra shorter length barrel would fill the HD bill. Pumps will work on a skeet field but IMO they aren't going to be able to perform the same as an auto or O/U.

If the desire is to informally bust some clays once in a while, or shoot singles trap, as well as defend the home then the pump is most likely the best all around choice.

The bottom line is to find the one that fits you the best. That means the one that hits your shoulder pocket the same every time. The one that gives you consistently the best sight picture every time you put the gun to your shoulder.

The "industry standards" are the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500. Those two models are the most prevalent and have the most robust support and parts infrastructure behind them and have the benefit of being time tested designs with tens of millions of examples in use around the world. There are many other models out there, some very good and some less then good. Shop around and don't buy the first thing you land on.

L84CABO
08-18-2012, 1:01 PM
Mossberg makes a fine pump gun too. Couldn't go wrong with either. I believe, however, that Remington offers more barrel options than mossberg. And that's not to say you can't find the right barrels in Mossberg for what you're looking to do. It's just something to consider.

If money is a concern (certainly understand that), and/or you're not sure about your commitment to skeet and just want to try it, then go for the pump. But as others have said, you'll probably want a semi at some point if you really take up skeet.

Most skeet ranges have guns you can rent and try out too. You could probably find a pump gun to rent and see how you like it.

Mana4real
08-18-2012, 3:03 PM
Seriously? Pumps SUCK on the skeet field. I have seen several folks choke when pumping on a double. If I wanted to screw around and was already a crack shot on the skeet field then I would use a pump just because it is harder. But I would rather break more clays instead. Pick up an 870 or a mossy 590 (with M-7 bayonet for ****s and giggles) and then look for a REmy 1187 or O/U (Browning Citori?) for skeet...

Yes seriously. Not everyone can do it, but shooting a pump isnt any harder then shooting a semi on skeet for me anyways. I looked at it as hardcore until I tried it. But it's really not hard.

Thefeeder
08-18-2012, 7:29 PM

Many students come to the skeet clinic with pumps. Its just a matter of how you can use a pump......most need some pratice racking their pumps when it counts. Soon ( before the end of the clinic) they are breaking doubles or at least have plenty of time to make the shot.

Skeet or Sproting Clay doubles is one of the best ways to train the brain to cycle the pump while looking at the target and not dismounting the shotgun.

To many folks will bet their lives on a pump but never learn to use it. Throwing lead down range and then droping the gun to pump it is not learning how to use it.

Personely, I have ran 25's in Skeet and put many duck dinners on the table with a pump.

Its all about practice

.300 Weatherby Mag
08-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Pumps SUCK on the skeet field.

I guess you've never seen a good pump shooter...

Mana4real
08-19-2012, 8:58 AM
I want to find a short barrel to put on my wingmaster and use it for HD and Skeet just for the hell of it.

rromeo
08-19-2012, 9:18 AM
I vote for Remington. An 1100 or an 11-87.

Nothing abou being bitter I have nothing to be bitter about accept the fact that people are too lazy to do anything on their own.. I just googled this exact question and found 5 links to his exact question..

I'm all for good conversation to actually learn something or put input but why reinvent the wheel... 500 times a week.. If he wanted to talk about the shotgun by all means have at it I'll join in.. But he just doesn't want to do research him self and have people do his homework for him.. Which then will leard to him learning nothing and then after he buys his shot gun ask another question of "what should I buy for it" then "what ammo should I use" then foollowed by "how do I get better"... Because he won't want to look it up him self when it's out there he just needs to look.. And we sit here and just keep filling the boards with these already answered questions..

It probably doesn't bother you due to you being a semi new member but when you see this question in almost EVERY subforum at lest 2 times a week for 3 to 4 years and answered it at least 100 times to help a new guy out.. yea it gets annoying..

It's lazyness at its best.. But just to not look like I'm "bitter" here op I'll help you out...

>>>>Click here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+shotgun+for+home+defense+and+skeet)<<<<

Thanks for saying that. I agree that it's annoying when some newb asks stupid questions that have been beat to death.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=368960
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=367092
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=435337
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=465116
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=605140