PDA

View Full Version : New member, first time gun owner

Inverted
08-13-2012, 7:49 PM
Hey all,

I am late to the party, but finally ready to purchase my first firearm at the age of 30. My wife and I have been talking about getting a gun for home defense/target fun. I have been looking at the sub compact 9mm or 380acp variety. I have been thinking about the Walther PPK as I have always loved this gun which as of right now is my top choice, seems like a reliable and great quality gun to own. I have also been thinking about the Glock 19 which I know is bigger, Ruger LCP and LC9, and the Kel-Tec PF-9 and P-11. Still not sure what I will finally get but where would be a good place to start looking for somebody in the east bay (Walnut Creek)? Is it better to buy online, then do the background check stuff at a shop where I would get the gun delivered to? Also once the background check is complete (I hear 11 days?), to purchase subsequent guns how does that work or does a background check need to be completed every time?

Thanks so much for dealing with the newb questions.

MIAMIbaseballer
08-13-2012, 7:56 PM
Too bad I'm not in Cali right now... You'd be able to shoot just about every one of those guns because my girl lives in Lafayette. Your best bet is to go a range that rents your top choices so you can fondle and shoot them before you buy. A couple of the guns you listed are not "target guns" because they aren't very comfortable to shoot. They are made more for conceal carry like the LCP and PF9. Stick with at least a 9. 380 is more expensive for ammo and not ideal for home defense. Good luck. I'll be back in Cali around Xmas if you havent already bought something and would like to try my guns

Online or store purchase doesn't matter whichever is cheaper or easier for you. One handgun per month is the law and background and wait period apples to every gun. You are correct on the online purchase, buy online and do background check at the shop and wait.

.22guy
08-13-2012, 8:08 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

den888
08-13-2012, 8:15 PM
Welcome!

SoCal Bob
08-13-2012, 8:22 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Since you are interested in the PPK may I suggest you also take a look at a Sig P230 or P232. Good luck with your search.

Bill Carson
08-13-2012, 8:27 PM
Welcome to CalGuns

Fjold
08-13-2012, 8:30 PM
Hey all,

I am late to the party, but finally ready to purchase my first firearm at the age of 30. My wife and I have been talking about getting a gun for home defense/target fun. I have been looking at the sub compact 9mm or 380acp variety. I have been thinking about the Walther PPK as I have always loved this gun which as of right now is my top choice, seems like a reliable and great quality gun to own. I have also been thinking about the Glock 19 which I know is bigger, Ruger LCP and LC9, and the Kel-Tec PF-9 and P-11. Still not sure what I will finally get but where would be a good place to start looking for somebody in the east bay (Walnut Creek)? Is it better to buy online, then do the background check stuff at a shop where I would get the gun delivered to? Also once the background check is complete (I hear 11 days?), to purchase subsequent guns how does that work or does a background check need to be completed every time?

Thanks so much for dealing with the newb questions.

Welcome, I can't answer you on where it would be best to buy the gun as I'm not in Northern CA.

You will need to take the Handgun safety test and be issued a "Handgun Safety Card" before you can buy a hand gun. It's a common sense test and study guides can be found on line. Usually the dealer will let you take the test and issue the HSC as you do the transaction for the gun. The HSC test costs $20 or $25 ( I don't remember exactly as I don't have one), it's good for 5 years. You are required to have a current HSC to buy a handgun unless you're exempt (active or retired military, LTC holder, LEO, etc)

California has a 10 day (240 hour) waiting period for pruchasing firearms but many ealers make you wait 11 days to make sure that their mouth breathing, low IQ help doesn't let the gun go early and get them in trouble. You have to do the 10 day wait for every gun purchase.

If you buy a gun online mke sure that you dealer wil accept shipments for you and there is no limit on the amount of fees that dealer can charge for doing the transfer to you from the shipping dealer. So you may save $50 from an out of state dealer but you might be charged $100 by the CA FFL to do the transfer for you.

bsg
08-13-2012, 8:39 PM
welcome to the forum.

h0use
08-13-2012, 8:59 PM
welcome

polo.45
08-13-2012, 9:03 PM
Welcome... I remember those days... :D
Congrats!

fighterpilot562
08-13-2012, 9:13 PM
Welcome

phdo
08-13-2012, 9:35 PM
Welcome.

xXx Sir Sik xXx
08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Welcome

rkt88edmo
08-14-2012, 4:57 AM
If you buy online the dealer will charge you transfer fees which often eliminate any discount you had.

One NEW handgun may be purchased every 30 days.

Used you can buy multiples and often.

Go for the Glock 19. They keep their resale value fairly well if you change your mind. The pocket sized guns in 9mm just don't lend themselves to easy shooting and as a noob you need to practice.

Shops nearby are:
City Arms
Diablo Valley Gunworks
Antioch Arms

frankDmole
08-14-2012, 5:44 AM
Welcome to CalGuns.

t0kie
08-14-2012, 5:50 AM
Welcome to Calguns. Yes, as others have said, you should try some before buying. Some indoor range like Target Master & Reeds are doing rentals.

Inverted
08-14-2012, 6:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I have shot the 19 before and really loved it. My interest in the LCP, LC9, and Kel-Tec etc. was more fore the price, I don't really have an interest in carrying at this point. They don't look spectacularly fun to shoot either. I really like the PPK because it has been such an interesting gun. I love Sigs, I shot them a bunch in the Navy but remember them being expensive. Should I try for a used gun? I am sure most shops deal in used firearms so maybe that's a way for me to save some money.

the big ravioli
08-14-2012, 6:52 AM
Welcome Aboard!!

NastyNate
08-14-2012, 7:04 AM
Welcome!

joe_gman
08-14-2012, 7:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I have shot the 19 before and really loved it. My interest in the LCP, LC9, and Kel-Tec etc. was more fore the price, I don't really have an interest in carrying at this point. They don't look spectacularly fun to shoot either. I really like the PPK because it has been such an interesting gun. I love Sigs, I shot them a bunch in the Navy but remember them being expensive. Should I try for a used gun? I am sure most shops deal in used firearms so maybe that's a way for me to save some money.

The Sig 2022 is the polymer gun from Sig and should be in your price range. Decent gun for the price. Look at the Ruger P series. Extremely reliable and easy to shoot. Inexpensive, but good quality. Stay away from Kel-Tec. Tend to have quality issues. The S&W M&P is built for duty and the reliability and quality are top notch. The Glocks are always popular but some people don't like the grip. I would recommend trying a few models out at a range to see which ones you like. Like several of the posters said, the small compacts are for conceal carry and are more difficult to shoot accurately than a larger frame pistol. Remember, the longer the sight radius, the easier it is to shoot accurately.

socalpistolero
08-14-2012, 10:23 AM
welcome.

rkt88edmo
08-14-2012, 11:52 AM
If you have time to burn browsing the ads here will pay off even if used glock prices are kind of high you still save on the sales tax. All of those shops will get used guns and the glock 19 is common.

IMO keep saving your money and wait for a deal. Dont buy cheap

Inverted
08-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. If I buy used on here does the seller just ship to an FFL dealer and I do the paperwork and wait period with them?

Sonny188
08-14-2012, 3:28 PM
Welcome!

zod
08-14-2012, 5:55 PM
Welcome aboard.

rkt88edmo
08-14-2012, 6:38 PM
If you buy on here buy from someone local and meet them at the ffl to transfer. If they ship it to the ffl there will be more fees. For in person transactions the fees are limited and roster doesnt apply.

Remember, you will need to go to ffl twice. Once to buy and once to pickup. So you might be willing to go to say Livermore but nit San jose depending on how much you care to drive.

jbe90
08-14-2012, 7:11 PM
Welcome.

Inverted
08-14-2012, 8:45 PM
Thanks again for the advice everyone!

glockwise2000
08-15-2012, 3:55 PM
Glock 19 is what I would recommend.

If you can find a CZ97B, grab it. You won't regret the CZ. It is not compact though.

Oh, and welcome to CG. It is never too late to practice your God-given right to defend yourself and your family.

onegtalon
08-15-2012, 4:17 PM
Welcome aboard!

GladiatorTactical
08-15-2012, 5:11 PM
Welcome to CalGuns :D

Reltair
08-15-2012, 9:22 PM
Welcome!

BlackTydeTactical
08-16-2012, 8:34 AM
Welcome aboard!

NastyNate
08-16-2012, 8:29 PM
Welcome!

Wicked Pete
08-17-2012, 6:58 AM
Party? These guys are having a party and didn't tell me?

Welcome!

TATER313
08-17-2012, 7:47 AM
Welcome, check out canyon sports in Martinez off of Howe rd. His prices are good and he has a lot of inventory. If I had any compact 9mm I would let you shoot but I dont. I will have a G27 in 8 days but it is a 40, but you can buy a conversion barrel for 9mm $109 online. also if you can find a range that rents handguns try them out there. good luck.