PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Shotgun/Skeet Clinic Saturday 08/11/12 LevelII

Captain Dick
08-13-2012, 8:03 PM
Hello Shooters, I apologize for taking so long to get this posted. We had a very productive if somewhat warm clinic today. We had three experienced tournament shooters join us at the clinic today. It's nice to see guys that shoot as good as they do still working to improve their game. We worked on things with them that might seem insignificant to some people, but in a game of perfection, can mean the difference between winning and losing.

We started out with some drills in the morning and moved into shooting doubles through the middle stations in the afternoon with a lot of work on stations 3 and 5. I'm gonna have to admit since I waited a little too long to post this, I know there are some things that we did that I'm leaving out, so if anyone wants to fill in, please feel free.

I want to thank all the shooters for their hard work and having an open mind to learning new techniques and ideas. Thanks Everyone!

Shooters

Khanan
Giselle63
ChubT
BigFatGuy
Gamera
ChubT (Friend)
Sidious
Mrs Sidious
Woodenboy

gamera
08-13-2012, 8:32 PM
Very hot day indeed...

Just wanted to say, it was a pleasure to shoot with everyone. I had a great time trying new (to me) techniques and shootin' with some good people. Tried some of these techniques on that Sunday that... well, let's just say, I think I need to practice them a little bit more. I know it will pay off in the long run.

For new shooters? highly recommended classes. While this was a level II class, I'm sure the level one is just as informative. I think Coach and Capt are very good at customizing their program to the skill set of the class. Very patient and well informed instructors.

Coach and Capt. a special thanks for letting us join the crew.

Looking forward to the next one... hope it will be a little cooler.

BigFatGuy
08-13-2012, 9:07 PM
It wasn't just hot, it was holy crap hot. At 3:30pm as I drove away down Lakewood Blvd my car's thermometer read 106F.

The heat wilted everyone terribly by the end of the day. Some shooters even decided to sit in their air conditioned cars after lunch rather then shooting. I'm kind of thinking I'll wait til October for my next session just so as to not cook like that again.

Speaking for myself, in the morning session I shot a lifetime best 21/25. Once we started doing doubles it became a much more frustrating exercise, my shooting went to crap. I even snapped at Coach near the end of the day... he let me live, but I think I owe him my firstborn child or something.

I'm slowly starting to get it... I had moments where I really felt psychic... but then I had more moments where I thought I should hang up my shotgun.

On a humorous note: I'd purchased a bunch of cheap ammo at Cabela's.com. It turns out to be hunting ammo, not target ammo. It seems the difference is: with hunting ammo people say things like "Wow! That gun is LOUD!" and your shoulder hurts at the end of the day. ;-)

Captain Dick is really coming along as a coach in his own right. I would not hesitate to attend a class with Captain Dick running things.

All in all, I had a lot of fun, and I'm grateful to Richard and Coach Z for putting up with us day after day.

Khanan
08-14-2012, 7:34 AM
but I think I owe him my firstborn child or something.

Coach likes children but I don't think he can eat a whole. Your firstborn is safe for now. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

"Wow! That gun is LOUD!" and your shoulder hurts at the end of the day. ;-)

Most of us reload at 1150 to 1200 FPS. Most target loads are around 1200 FPS. Yours read 1350 FPS on the hull. I honestly don't know how you were firing that gun by the end of the day. We went through 175 rounds. OUCH!

It was a really fun day but the heat beat us all up. Still the best coaching money can buy at a fraction of what it costs for lesser instruction.

It was really great to have three experienced tournament shooters join us and be able to learn with us. Coach can teach anyone something about skeet as long as they come with a teachable attitude and a desire to learn.

BigFatGuy
08-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Most of us reload at 1150 to 1200 FPS. Most target loads are around 1200 FPS. Yours read 1350 FPS on the hull. I honestly don't know how you were firing that gun by the end of the day.

my shoulder was a little sore... not bad, though. ATI's recoil pad is a good one, that's for sure.

We went through 175 rounds. OUCH!

That means I've just got 825 rounds to go through. ;-)

Rumline
08-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Glad you guys had a good time! I was wondering about how the heat would be for everyone, it was pretty hot even where I was "near" the coast.

Congrats on the high score, BFG! Are you still rockin' the pump action?

I hope to rejoin the skeet parties after the weather cools down as well. And once my work stops making me their b****. :slap:

BigFatGuy
08-15-2012, 8:22 AM
Congrats on the high score, BFG! Are you still rockin' the pump action?

You know it...