PDA

View Full Version : Tds guns in rocklin

1911whore
08-13-2012, 6:15 PM
Has anybody been there lately? I went in there today and that place is like a ghost town. They use to have a huge stock of pistols and rifles shotguns to include a high and counter with wilson baer and nighthawk and ed brown. They use to have high end a r rifle and a k rifles.

I win in there today and there were no sales people other than the owner in the store working with a customer this talk of handguns for the whole store was probably less than 20 pistols. no a k rifles and the are rifles were mostly lower end. No banners pushing local trading companies.

I haven't been in the store in a while and I was very surprised because I really like the establishment. Anybody know what happen with them?

1911whore
08-13-2012, 6:18 PM
I have a couple of typos in my original message.
The whole stock of handguns was probably less than 20...

There were no more banners pushing the services of local training companies...

voiceoftheright
08-13-2012, 6:34 PM
It's probably because their prices suck and they take an hour and a half to do a handgun transfer. Just maybe.

XVIga_Rob
08-13-2012, 6:53 PM
Not sure what happened. I know that I saw at least 1 of the former employees working at Sportsmans recently.

ahren111
08-13-2012, 6:58 PM
It's probably because their prices suck

^^^ this

Jsapata
08-13-2012, 7:16 PM
I noticed the same trend (low inventory) on their website. It got so bad I stopped checking it. I also noticed there was a second location opening a few months back.

Maybe the money for inventory is all wrapped up in the other store opening?

1911whore
08-13-2012, 7:23 PM
Your second location locally is simply a surplus store that sells backpacks , boots,mres.
They opened a second location in southern california I have no idea how that doing

blasterboy
08-13-2012, 7:28 PM
They are slow, annoying, and Sacramento Black Rifle is hip, hopping, and helpful. Customers voted with their feet.

Carsgunsandchics
08-13-2012, 7:29 PM
Your second location locally is simply a surplus store that sells backpacks , boots,mres.
They opened a second location in southern california I have no idea how that doing

The surplus place moved back in with the main store a couple of weeks ago.

ummmmmm456
08-13-2012, 7:50 PM
they have a store here in san diego, in a small part of town. its has a steady flow. i don't do real business there. prices are 1.5-2x the price of other places in town and their selection isn't really as good. sometimes they do have deals on bulk ammo if your not into reloading. but other than that there are other places to go.

johnny_boy02
08-13-2012, 8:14 PM
Strange.. I did a transfer there about a month ago and their inventory did seem a bit low. But while I was there they were putting 7 Dan Wesson bobtails on the shelves. Employee level seemed normal.

This weekend I briefly spoke to the former employee that now works at Sportsmans, he didnt have anything negative to say.

I also don't find there prices really out of line and the multiple PPT's I have done there were fast and easy.

XVIga_Rob
08-13-2012, 9:24 PM
there are other places to go.
Unfortunatley, TDS is not a shop where I spend $.

Arkangel
08-14-2012, 7:27 AM
they have a store here in san diego, in a small part of town. its has a steady flow. i don't do real business there. prices are 1.5-2x the price of other places in town and their selection isn't really as good. sometimes they do have deals on bulk ammo if your not into reloading. but other than that there are other places to go.

Unfortunately true, and they don't price match. They are great folks but I only seem to give them business when I want something that no one else has in stock.

ummmmmm456
08-14-2012, 7:39 AM
i think its a waste, i live closer to tds than the other gun stores in san diego but go to turners, parallax, SCG, etc, etc, etc...... i wish their prices were more competitive. this is not a knock on their staff, when i did go in there for the most part they were nice.... except for two of them that were dry firing the goods.....

Anti-Hero
08-14-2012, 1:34 PM
They are slow, annoying, and Sacramento Black Rifle is hip, hopping, and helpful. Customers voted with their feet.

Ahahaha! There is nothing "hip, hopping, or helpful" about SBR. Both shops suck, IMO. TDS because of prices, SBR because of the cool guy, wannabe operator attitudes.

negolien
08-14-2012, 3:40 PM
Haven't been there in a while so /shrug they were super busy and had lots of weapons went I did my PPT but it has been a year and a half or so :(. I hope they aren't having issues they were a cool group of people. As a side note SBR CS staff is rude as piss and I woudn't shop there if you put a 1911 to my head lol.

1911whore
08-14-2012, 4:25 PM
I didn't ask a question in my original close to get the " shop a is better than b" argument going. I was just asking what was happening with tds. Personally I like both shops and have had issues with both shops. I have experienced rudeness where at sbr, and I've gone in there in been treated like gold. I did try to have the ds price match for a m&p 9 millimeter 1 day to which they denied a price match and their price was 150 dollars more than another local gun store. That particular workers rub me the wrong way since I have probably done 50 transfers at tds and bought countless accessories there as well. When I went in the store they would know me on a first name basis but they were not cutting me any breaks either. I had to transfers back to back 1 day at the ds and was in the store for over 2 hours while they helped other customers that showed up after I did. but other times I showed up and there were many people in front of me and I was put straight into the front of the pile. I think the issues of being treated rudely your improperly or more an individual basis on who is helping me at the time and I try not to hold the store accountable for your actions of 1 person. I've also been in both stores in her the fake combat commando ramblers hard at work. 1 funny story about t v s 1 of the gentleman behind the counter was telling my brother while I was standing right next to him that glock taste the grip from gen3 to the rtf because when you're actively engaged in killing tangos and your hands are full of blood the gun won't slip in your hands and that's why glocks changed the grip. Then the guy said trust me bloods real slippery that's why I shoot an rtf.. he put on his most practiced war face while telling a story and I almost pissed my pants laughing. My brother smiled and told the guy I understand what you're trying to sell me gone but if I'm gonna take gonna buy from anybody on the planet its gonna be the guy standing right next to me. Bottom line is if you going to any store you're gonna run into it idiotS. Personally I like I said before I like both stores.

1911whore
08-14-2012, 4:28 PM
Sorry for the typos the talk and type feature on this phone isnt perfect

ZombieTactics
08-14-2012, 6:03 PM
I dunno, I guess I am weird. I like all the local gun stores and most of the people seem pretty cool at all of them. Even the "mean" guy at Wild Sports is pretty cool if you bother to strike up a conversation with him.

MarkInFolsom
08-14-2012, 6:12 PM
I dunno, I guess I am weird. I like all the local gun stores and most of the people seem pretty cool at all of them. Even the "mean" guy at Wild Sports is pretty cool if you bother to strike up a conversation with him.

Which one is that? The mid 40's guy with the close cropped black beard?

roushstage2
08-14-2012, 6:14 PM
I've been to TDS twice now. First was a PPT that they started after their cutoff time because of the drive I had to make to get there and the seller was late. The guy was a bit abrupt, but understandably so. The PPT from start to finish lasted about 15 minutes. The second time was recently to purchase four AR lowers, and it was smooth and quick. While they don't seem to have a massive inventory or anything, I've been promptly helped and was not treated in an unprofessional way. I still have my favorite stores, but they are in the better half of stores IMO.

Dreaded Claymore
08-14-2012, 6:19 PM
The second time [I went there] was recently to purchase four AR lowers

Obama/Yee gun rush? :biggrinjester:

epilepticninja
08-14-2012, 6:20 PM
I was in there a couple of weeks ago. The owner was blaming the lack of product on the economy. He also said they sent everything to their store in San Diego (didn't quite get that one.) I asked him what was the stores future if SB249 passed and he told me he would take the store out of state. I'm really disappointed in them as I bought my AR there. Went to River City Gun works and it was packed. Not sure where the "economy" sucks is coming from.

epilepticninja
08-14-2012, 6:23 PM
Ahahaha! There is nothing "hip, hopping, or helpful" about SBR. Both shops suck, IMO. TDS because of prices, SBR because of the cool guy, wannabe operator attitudes.

Agree on the SBR comment. ONly went once, and once was enough.

k1dude
08-14-2012, 7:31 PM
TDS has been very low on inventory for months. It's not due to overwhelming sales because it's usually not very crowded compared to other stores in the area. Those other stores have no problem getting new inventory in even as it flies out the door. I wonder if TDS is cash strapped due to some working capital or credit problem. They've never had very good pricing, so perhaps that's part of the problem.

roushstage2
08-14-2012, 7:34 PM
Obama/Yee gun rush? :biggrinjester:
It was actually the month before the whole Yee/SB249 thing. Go figure. It was more to get some lowers stocked up before long gun registration goes into effect. I'll be stocking up a bit more on long guns next year too.

dobek
08-14-2012, 7:35 PM
I shopped here once (TDS) - never again.

I don't like their no refund policy - partially my own fault - I didn't see the signs....

I purchased a M&P 40 there and two holsters (1911 / M&P) - tried the 1911 holster, didn't like it so wanted to return the unused M&P holster - - - nope - - - spend it in the store..... I spent several hundred dollars (approx $700 when all was said and done (pistol, holsters, etc) and they wouldn't refund $60.... Not consumer friendly.

So - I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Steve

Unforgiven
08-14-2012, 8:45 PM
Crappy customer service is common in gun stores in general. Not sure where all the attitude comes from. Some guys are just not people, people. I have always thought the guys at SBR were pretty good, never had anybody talk down to me or ignore me.

dpop24
08-14-2012, 9:08 PM
I was in there a couple of weeks ago. The owner was blaming the lack of product on the economy. He also said they sent everything to their store in San Diego (didn't quite get that one.) I asked him what was the stores future if SB249 passed and he told me he would take the store out of state. I'm really disappointed in them as I bought my AR there. Went to River City Gun works and it was packed. Not sure where the "economy" sucks is coming from.

Yeah, that's funny right there. Every other gun store I've been to lately is packed with people spending money. It seems that guns are the only thing selling in this economy. Not sure why that's not true at TDS. I don't shop there because the selection is terrible.

makav3li
08-14-2012, 9:33 PM
i bought stuff from them online before and it was good. i was happy to hear about a store opening up in sd until i went into the san diego store

i posted the following in their thread of opening in sd with no response back

11-01-2011, 8:20 PM

i walked in mid day today, saw the upper special. however, i was not greeted or seemed to be there. maybe they were having a bad day or just didnt want me business. it was a night and day difference on service compared to another gun store up north and maybe i was expecting the same service. a simple hello would have made me feel better....oh well at least i saved money today

Anti-Hero
08-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Crappy customer service is common in gun stores in general. Not sure where all the attitude comes from. Some guys are just not people, people. I have always thought the guys at SBR were pretty good, never had anybody talk down to me or ignore me.

If I want the best prices, I bite my tongue and buy from Wild Sports. I have not found better prices on pistols locally.

If I want the best customer service, I'll deal with the usually packed with riff raff at River City Gun Exchange.

If I want mag rebuild kits, I'll shop at SBR. Everything else I try to buy online. Bad customer service is NOT something I find acceptable for any place I spend my money.

snowdog650
08-16-2012, 7:24 AM
It's probably because their prices suck and they take an hour and a half to do a handgun transfer. Just maybe.

^^^ This.

rocker
08-16-2012, 8:37 PM
I shop River City, Sportsman's Warehouse and Big 5. So far between those 3 I have been able to get whatever I want at the price I want. I have been to TDS, SBR and others. I like the others I mentioned. River City is ALWAYS packed. Sportsman Warehouse goes up and down in inventory and Big 5 has been good to me with shotguns and .22's I don't bother going in TDS anymore because they never have anything.

NYT
08-16-2012, 9:08 PM
I only shop at sbr these days. Not really sure where the bad experiences stem from or from which individual.... no one there seems full of **** like other shops in the area. I stopped going to tds when the daughter of the owner constantly lied to me over the phone saying parts were in stock. The owner seems like a genuinely good guy though, I'm sorry to see their poor biz model go out of business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

11HE9
08-16-2012, 10:25 PM
A couple new(er) gunshops opening lately may be stealing their (TDS) thunder. I was just in STS guns in Folsom last week, they were very busy and had lots of inventory. Another shop is opening (may be open now) at Bradshaw & 50 in Sacramento.

monorailboy
08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Overpriced and take forever to do any type of transfer. I think they are slowly going out of business. Terrible website.

leftydan
11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Cash strap ! And a very bad tv interview about the bullet button. One of the owner showed every one how to get around the assault weapon ban.

TransplantTexan
11-24-2012, 1:17 PM
Went into the Bonita location today at 11 am to do a PPT. Greeted as we walked in the door, asked what we needed and handled us right away. 30 minutes tops and that was long because of having to take the HSC, since safely handling firearms for 42 years doesn't count. Probably would have been done in 15 - 20 minutes if not for that.

Hats off to TDS Bonita.

corcoraj2002
11-24-2012, 1:47 PM
Went into the Bonita location today at 11 am to do a PPT. Greeted as we walked in the door, asked what we needed and handled us right away. 30 minutes tops and that was long because of having to take the HSC, since safely handling firearms for 42 years doesn't count. Probably would have been done in 15 - 20 minutes if not for that.

Hats off to TDS Bonita.

And it being the law, you must have a valid HSC when purchasing or borrowing a handgun.

trooper357
11-25-2012, 7:37 AM
I went to TDS on friday, the store was packed. I wanted to buy their .40S&W ammo that was on sale and of course they were sold out of it. I won't go back.

demo40
11-25-2012, 8:29 AM
river city has a great selection and is always busy these days , if you are down that way ,check out "Buy Sell Trade "the pawn shop has a great selection of new and used with tons of ammo , they treat everyone great , most of the time his prices are second to none , one of the only pawn shops that deals in guns left in town new and used ......
dont know if he does much in the way of PPT , or single shot exemption . dont leave anything of value in plain sight in your car when you go in , bad area ..........