PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to zero a laser at home?

MUKAK
08-13-2012, 7:02 PM
i got a Sig Laser ( from PSA) for my SP2022 do i just align the laser to the front sight?

CK_32
08-13-2012, 7:07 PM
Use the laser and see how far off it is on the fall while taking aim and adjust it accordingly.

tbc
08-13-2012, 7:14 PM
The laser point and point of aim should be the sane at what ever the distance you want to zero your laser.

Sent from my iPhone

rogervzv
08-13-2012, 7:21 PM
The answer to your question is yes. Pick a point 30-50 feet away and align the laser dot to the sight picture for the point of aim. If the sight is already properly aligned, that should ensure that the laser is aligned. Using this technique I rarely or never have had to adjust the laser once I get to the range. Main thing is align the laser for that 30-50 foot distance; not closer.

ChaneRZ
08-14-2012, 12:50 AM
mine is zero'd at 10 yards=30 ft

SacTown
08-14-2012, 1:00 AM
If this is your defensive pistol (HD/carry weapon) I would personally zero it at 3-7 yards maximum, but if it is just for plinking then it doesn't really matter. Just realize that once you get past the point of where the laser is zeroed, the laser will begin to drop/rise away from zero depending on if you are getting closer/farther away from your target.

CK_32
08-14-2012, 8:05 AM
Ignore post.. Fail on my part on info given.

SVRider
08-14-2012, 8:21 AM
If this is your defensive pistol (HD/carry weapon) I would personally zero it at 3-7 yards maximum, but if it is just for plinking then it doesn't really matter. Just realize that once you get past the point of where the laser is zeroed, the laser will begin to drop/rise away from zero depending on if you are getting closer/farther away from your target.

+1. If this is a HD pistol, what is the farthest shot you see yourself making? No point in zeroing for 25yds if you won't have a shot past 5yds. Elevation would be way off.

teflondog
08-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I dialed mine in for 25 yards but it doesn't really matter since at 5 yards, it's only off by about 1.5 inches so I wouldn't worry about being super precise for home defense. There's a lot of real estate on a BG's chest so even if you're off by an inch, the bullet will do its job.

IVC
08-14-2012, 11:52 AM
If the op is doing it at home it doesn't matter what distance the laser and sights are at the sight planes are going to be the same alignment 2 feet to 1000 yards.. Your laser and sights don't drop your bullets do..

You fail to account for the different axis of the bore, laser and the sights. You'd be correct only if laser was installed inside the barrel and you aimed straight through the barrel. Otherwise, you have three close-to-parallel lines that need to be adjusted for POI.

To the OP - concentrate on the windage adjustment since you can do that one very accurately independently of the bullet drop (assumption is that rails are vertically well aligned with the barrel, which is almost always the case). This way, when you go shooting and see impact to the side from your point of aim, you'll know it's your trigger technique and not the sight, so you don't tinker with the windage adjustment. Elevation is something you'll have to adjust based on distance, though.

tonyxcom
08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Lmao what is with this distance zeroing???

If the op is doing it at home it doesn't matter what distance the laser and sights are at the sight planes are going to be the same alignment 2 feet to 1000 yards.. Your laser and sights don't drop your bullets do..

I think some guys need to go back to the shooting books.

Op just align your sights at like 10ft away or what ever you can accurately see the dot and match it to your sights.. Don't worry about distance it's all going to be the same until you actually start shooting and try aligning the laser to the groups..

Oh snap, its the "press check" kid again.

I suggest you go back to the shooting books pal. We are talking about lasers mounted on the outside of the gun, either off the rail, trigger guard or the grip area. All of which will create a shift in laser/sight alignment depending on distance.

CK_32
08-14-2012, 1:24 PM
You fail to account for the different axis of the bore, laser and the sights. You'd be correct only if laser was installed inside the barrel and you aimed straight through the barrel. Otherwise, you have three close-to-parallel lines that need to be adjusted for POI.

To the OP - concentrate on the windage adjustment since you can do that one very accurately independently of the bullet drop (assumption is that rails are vertically well aligned with the barrel, which is almost always the case). This way, when you go shooting and see impact to the side from your point of aim, you'll know it's your trigger technique and not the sight, so you don't tinker with the windage adjustment. Elevation is something you'll have to adjust based on distance, though.

You are correct my appologies ignore my last post... Very true thanks for that clarification sir. Was thinking of something completely different.