View Full Version : Non-NV Eotechs still work with PVS14 and PVS22

06-14-2007, 3:44 PM
Just wanted to post this link to a thread in another forum where a US Army designated marksman gives his review of some popular optics. What I found really interesting is when he says that the NV version Eotechs are pointless since the regular ones have settings which work with NV.

Also, here's a interview with a Eotech rep who explains their new 557 with magnifier system. The dot size does not change even if viewed through magnifier.

06-16-2007, 3:32 PM
Yes, with a non-NV eotech you can still use it with the AN/PVS14 and 22, however the visible red reticle will illuminate your face while in the dark, which basically ruins the whole purpose of using NV in the first place. They may as well go in with flashlights. The NV setting on the eotech makes it so the reticle can ONLY be seen while viewing through some type of nightvision ocular device.

06-16-2007, 5:37 PM
The NV setting on the eotech makes it so the reticle can ONLY be seen while viewing through some type of nightvision ocular device.

You sure about that? I thought that it just dimmed the reticle to an even lower level. I can see the reticle in the dark with the NV setting on but it is dim.

06-16-2007, 11:18 PM
well, I've never used it in a completely dark situation, but it should make it dim enough that it won't make your face illuminate red! Hahahh! I know the lowest setting on the non-NV eotech is still pretty bright when in a dark environment, which can not only make you stand out like a sore thumb, but ruin your natural nightvision too.

06-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Just did a little experiment. I borrowed a buddy's 512 an went into a completely dark closet with no light seeping in whatsoever. The lowest setting on non-nv mode was still very dim. And there was no red reflection from my palm when I pushed it up close to the glass, where your face would be if viewing through it.

06-21-2007, 2:35 PM
Sure, you can use a non-NV compatible illuminated dot/reticle with a PVS-14 or similar device.

However since they are too bright, you will seriously compromise the health of your NOD. You could easily burn out a tube prematurely... and when you're talking about prematurely burning out a $2500-$4500 NOD with a $400 red dot, you've got some seriously deep pockets, or a very shallow IQ.

EDIT: And that's the very point of buying NV compatible optics if you plan on using NV. The lumination of a reticle close to an image intensifier is brighter than ambient lighting, and it's consistent placement on the image intensifier will end up burning in... Kinda like those old video games on TVs, where you have a permanent image burnt into your CRT.