PDA

View Full Version : Went in for a Glock 17 and walked out with nothing...

Roland Deschain
08-13-2012, 5:44 PM
I already own a Ruger GP-100, Mossberg 500 and have a Colt 6920 in jail. So I figured I should get a semi-auto pistol to round out my collection. Not looking to get into the 9mm vs .45 ACP debate but I figured 9mm was a good place to start due to the cost of the ammo.

Researched available options and the Glock 17 seemed like a cost effective option with a proven track record for a full size service pistol. When I got to the store it felt decent enough in my grip but the clerk recommended I give the XD 9 a feel as well. It also felt good, maybe a little better (for me), but since I've never fired either weapon I wasn't able to decide.

Looks like I have to come back with a buddy or one of my guns and rent both for some range time to decide. It's probably for the best since if I keep impulse buying guns I'm gonna eventually go broke :D

AmbientR
08-13-2012, 5:48 PM
You've got the right idea with the glock. I can't comment much about the springfield as I have not fired one. Are you not interested in a p226 or p229? Perhaps they are a slightly higher cost, but don't ignore sig sauer unless it exceeds your budget.

CK_32
08-13-2012, 5:53 PM
Nice choice on the GP been looking for one my self.

Still should get a glock. Love my 17 wouldn't trade her for the world and I've shot a lot of semis and want other semis so I'm not biased but my 17 is a beast of a perfect battle gun.

vliberatore
08-13-2012, 5:54 PM
Looks like I have to come back with a buddy or one of my guns and rent both for some range time to decide. It's probably for the best since if I keep impulse buying guns I'm gonna eventually go broke :D

Smart man!

I was in this debate about a year ago. Ended up going with an M&P9 because of the cost and the grip. Shoot a lot of different pistols and get whatever you like best.

NorCalXJ
08-13-2012, 5:56 PM
Both are really good guns. Go to the range and test both of them out. But i think you will leave with the g17 ;)

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-13-2012, 5:59 PM
Very wise decision. Choose carefully now and you'll be happy with either one you select.

Aces and 8s
08-13-2012, 6:03 PM
I own both a Glock and the XD, love em both. Can't go wrong in my opinion.

DannyInSoCal
08-13-2012, 6:03 PM
Why choose - Get them both on the same DROS and save $$$$ !!!!

tbc
08-13-2012, 6:25 PM
If you are looking for a cost effective full size service pistol with proven track record, Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm full size is maybe the answer.

Glocks and XDs are not bad also.

Sent from my iPhone

INFAMOUS762X39
08-13-2012, 7:42 PM
Why choose - Get them both on the same DROS and save $$$$ !!!!

This.

Last week I walked in for a M&P9, walked out with a glock 19 receipt.."6 days to go". Don't get me wrong I still want a M&P in the future, I've should of saved up a little more and put both pistols on the same Dros.

XD-9 are excellent, I was going to buy one to go with my Springfield M1A, but after doing my homework. I realized it has too much going on for my taste.

The Right to Bear Arms
08-13-2012, 7:47 PM

Smart move. I just Dros'd a G19 and about to do the same with a G23 but I've already spent so much energy on research and shooting the guns that the " euphoria " has worn off. I find that the 10 day waiting period doesn't bug me as much because of what I've invested beforehand. haha. Maybe, that will help you as well.

Anyway, best on your decision making. I've got trusted Calgunner friends with both platforms and everyone seems to be content.

Tell you what though. There are features on the XD that I can do without. That said, I'm not gonna fault people who want it. " We all put creature comforts on our cars that we want, after all. " it's same bloody thing.

Dark Mod
08-13-2012, 9:13 PM
Ive got both, but when i was originally in the market for one or the other i went with the XD. It felt better, shot better, the grip angle was better, and it was cheaper and came with a bunch of accessories. Plus the sights were better. Over a year went by before i bought the Glock but i love it just as much.

It takes a bit of getting used to, especially the sights and the grip angle, but its a sweet gun. Youll be happy with either and will end up with both in the end.

Chaos47
08-13-2012, 10:01 PM
I agree shoot em both first.
I don't like the weight distribution on the XD and really hate its higher bore axis.
To each their own though..

scglock
08-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Definitely try both. The xd and glock are both nice. Check out the M&P too. Glock triggers are the nicest out of the three imo. I am still having trouble getting used to my m&p's trigger

RudyN
08-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I have an XD9 and a XD45. I think the XD just fits my hand better. However, get the one you feel most comfortable with.

Donk310
08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Walked out with nothing? I wish I was as strong as you.

IrishPirate
08-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi-Point C9 FTW!!!!!!!

:D both GLOCK and XD are great guns....if you can't decide which one you like best and can only afford one, just flip a coin...you'll be happy with the decision. And you can always come back and get the other one when you have more money!!!

Roland Deschain
08-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Walked out with nothing? I wish I was as strong as you.

Ok, you caught me. I purchased another box of .223 for the Colt 6920 that I don't even own yet. Heck I can't even go to buy laundry detergent at Walmart without getting at least one box of ammo :D

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Definitely looking forward to test driving these guns at the range. As many have mentioned I will probably end up with both as time passes; and many many others I'm sure. I'm addicted and wish I had started sooner ;).

Donk310
08-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Ok, you caught me. I purchased another box of .223 for the Colt 6920 that I don't even own yet. Heck I can't even go to buy laundry detergent at Walmart without getting at least one box of ammo :D

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Definitely looking forward to test driving these guns at the range. As many have mentioned I will probably end up with both as time passes; and many many others I'm sure. I'm addicted and wish I had started sooner ;).

Ah... the truth comes out. Still you did well. I would have probably walked out with something I didn't want, like a Bersa .380, to make up for not getting what I did want.

hcbr
08-13-2012, 11:44 PM
bah get both, i love my g17, but my buddy has the xd9 and fell in love with that too and probably will get it

InGrAM
08-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Check out all four of the major striker-fired pistols on the market right now.

1. M&P
2. Glock
3. XD
4. Ruger sr9

I personally think that the M&P has the most going for it. Ergonomics, looks, size, trigger can be made better than all the others, IMO. American made in America, etc...

Any of them would make a great pistol.

fighterpilot562
08-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Always a good idea to rent and try out the guns. What ever you shoot best with and you enjoy shooting is what you pick

Ron-Solo
08-14-2012, 12:45 AM
I have a Glock 19, M&P 9, M&P 9c, Beretta 92f, and several other 9mm pistols.

The M&P series is my favorite. Nothing bad to say about Glocks. Personal preference has a lot to do with it, along with what feels the best to YOU.

Glock, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Sig, Ruger and CZ all make quality firearms and you can't go wrong with any of them. I don't ow any CZ pistols.......yet. Not a fan of Hi-Point or Bersa

t0kie
08-14-2012, 8:36 AM
You should give M&P a try. I'm not a an of polymer pistol but that one is def. worth looking at.

cannon
08-14-2012, 8:39 AM
Smart move. Shoot both and then decide.

fcr
08-14-2012, 8:47 AM
I ended up with a G17, it isn't my first pistol, and I never liked the feel of them. Then I shot one that was really well worn in at the range. My group were better than my Sigs.
I recently went in for a M&P .45, ended up with a SIG 1911. I am really happy with it too. I still may end up with an M&P, the trigger needs beaucoup work though. They feel like a bad light switch. I need to put some ammo down range with one first, I impulse too.

DArBad
08-14-2012, 8:58 AM
Also, check out the Ruger SR9, M&P9, and Beretta PX4 9 mm.

powaybob
08-14-2012, 9:02 AM
I have a Glock 17, an XD 45, and an XD 9 tactical. I prefer the XD 45, and plan to get the tactical length to supplement my shorter barrel .45.

But either way, you can't go wrong.

Capybara
08-14-2012, 9:20 AM
When I picked up a Glock at a gun store the first time, I HATED how it felt in my hand, the grip angle was all wrong. I took a handgun class a few months ago and then had a chance to shoot several Glocks at the range and it totally changed my mind, they shot fine, the grip angle was not a negative factor at all when actually shooting it.

For some reasons, when you don't shoot the Glocks, the grip angle feels off but put a through magazines through one and it feels natural, I hit pretty well with the Glocks.

trob
08-14-2012, 9:36 AM
You've got the right idea with the glock. I can't comment much about the s&w as I have not fired one. Are you not interested in a p226 or p229? Perhaps they are a slightly higher cost, but don't ignore sig sauer unless it exceeds your budget.

Where did he say s&w?

I love my G19. I shoot it better than anything else I own. Yea, it's not super comfy or refined, but I shoot it really well and I'm never wondering if it will go bang.

teflondog
08-14-2012, 1:01 PM
It's always better to rent before buying unless money is no object. I like the ergonomics of the XD more but I prefer Glock's trigger reset.

Rorge Retson
08-14-2012, 3:01 PM
Smart man. You have committed to doing what most people with strong opinions here have not - rented before buying.

I'll bet you that the people with the strongest opinions here haven't shot the other weapon.

bombadillo
08-14-2012, 3:29 PM
Iar7qdOaxcs

Glock and XD fanbois come ignite the fire. Get what you like, what feels good to you, and one you shoot well.

Roland Deschain
08-14-2012, 8:07 PM
Was able to squeeze in some range time today and rent both the Glock 17 (Gen3) and Springfield XD9 Tactical. Obviously not a direct comparison but it was the best they had. My opinions:

- I didn't like the trigger on the XD9, there was a good amount of travel w/o resistance and then half way through it seemed to start to engage (maybe this was just the particular gun)
- The grip on the XD9 seemed to fit my hand better but the Glock was good enough and I had no complaints. Overall I was able to operate all controls equally and my finger placement on the trigger was good
- I shot better groups w/ the Glock. Honestly this isn't saying much because I was having trouble w/ both guns. I think it has to do w/ the condition of the rentals and/or lack of semi-auto experience as I was dead on w/ my well maintained Ruger GP-100

At the end of the day I walked out with a Glock 17 in jail and can't wait to break it out :-)

tempdrummer
08-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Was able to squeeze in some range time today and rent both the Glock 17 (Gen3) and Springfield XD9 Tactical. Obviously not a direct comparison but it was the best they had. My opinions:

- I didn't like the trigger on the XD9, there was a good amount of travel w/o resistance and then half way through it seemed to start to engage (maybe this was just the particular gun)
- The grip on the XD9 seemed to fit my hand better but the Glock was good enough and I had no complaints. Overall I was able to operate all controls equally and my finger placement on the trigger was good
- I shot better groups w/ the Glock. Honestly this isn't saying much because I was having trouble w/ both guns. I think it has to do w/ the condition of the rentals and/or lack of semi-auto experience as I was dead on w/ my well maintained Ruger GP-100

At the end of the day I walked out with a Glock 17 in jail and can't wait to break it out :-)

Good choice! Now go grab yourself an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for it and shoot it all day long!

LAKings22
08-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Shot them both. g17 felt slightly better for me. Went back to turners to get the G17 then went with the G19. Can't explain why I did that but it worked out.

safewaysecurity
08-15-2012, 12:37 AM
He can't buy both on the same dros. Remember we have a one handgun a month rule.

1000stars
08-15-2012, 1:49 AM
Rent a glock, S&w, beretta, sig, springfield and what ever else is on your list. Shoot 2 clips ea. and maybe get you a better idea before you invest.

AmbientR
08-15-2012, 3:23 PM
Where did he say s&w?

I love my G19. I shoot it better than anything else I own. Yea, it's not super comfy or refined, but I shoot it really well and I'm never wondering if it will go bang.

gah! i meant springfield lol.. =/

Roland Deschain
08-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Picked her up today. Time to clean her up in preparation for the range tomorrow :D

http://charltonfamily.net/temp/2012-08-25 11.19.47-Small.png

drunktank
08-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Good idea on renting. The stock GLOCK trigger/reset is much better than the xd's. Some people hate the grip angle of a GLOCK though.

Virus55
08-25-2012, 9:06 PM
He can't buy both on the same dros. Remember we have a one handgun a month rule.

I was waiting for someone to say that before i got to the bottom and had to say it myself...Glock 17 bud

aristeia
08-25-2012, 11:56 PM
I spent about 2 months comparing the xd9, m&p9 and the g17.

Went to the range multiple times, shot all 3 a bunch of times, called up ffls for prices, etc.

Ended up with the glock 17, can't be more happy with it.

(M&P was a close close call though, xD not so much, too bulky for my taste)

Have fun with your purchase! Welcome to the glock-side =x

cmace22
08-26-2012, 3:59 AM
I never thought I would be saying this but Im pretty much a Glock guy now. I hated Glocks at first. I had a G22 and didnt like the feel and wasnt very happy with the caliber. I also had an HK USP .40. I ended up selling both the G22 and HK in favor of a kimber TLE/RL (which I sold). I loved the 1911 but still had an itch for a polymer handgun. I decided on 9mm and tried out a bunch of guns. I fell in love with the G19!!! It is to this day my go to gun with a modest 3k through it without a single failure or "brass to the face". Ive owned HK's, XD's Glocks and M&P's. To this day I own 3 Glocks (19, gen 4 34 and a 30sf) a SA MCO operator and on Wednesday Im buying another M&P9. IMO Glock's and M&P's are the only choices in a polymer framed handgun. Great choice on the G17! Dont stop the collection though. One handgun is never enough.