PDA

View Full Version : Do you like synthetic or wood stocks?

Lead Waster
08-13-2012, 5:04 PM
Synthetic stocks are durable and light, wood is classic, but can be heavy.

I'm trying to decide if I want to replace my Marlin 795 synthetic stock with a wood one. The stock synthetic stock has a really skinny forearm. Kind of cheap looking, but it's darn light which may or may not be good.

What do you guys prefer, and why?

I'm probably going to get the wood stock for fun (modifying a Model 60 or 995 stock or a Boyds 795 stock, not sure yet), but I'd like to hear what people like just for fun!

Chaos47
08-13-2012, 5:14 PM
I really love my Boyds Tacticool. It is a bit heavy but for the most part its a bench gun.
The thing I disliked the most about the factory 795 is the looks, I really hated the cowboy look of the checkering

My Girlfriends 795 is in a Boyds Rimfire Hunter / Target, it is really well balanced and not too heavy.

Boyds stocks are top notch! I would not hesitate to buy another one.

NorCalXJ
08-13-2012, 5:23 PM
It really depends on the weapon to me. Certain guns I think should have a wood look while others look better with synthetic.

Izzy43
08-13-2012, 7:08 PM
I voted for "Wood" but not because its classical and beautiful. Because it is a more stable material than almost any synthetic stock. Wood won't flex when the rifle is fired where many synthetic stocks will. Besides the functionality of wood it is also classic and usually beautiful.

chillincody
08-13-2012, 7:14 PM
nothing beats the natural beauty of wood stocks no tubaware stocks for me

k1dude
08-13-2012, 7:17 PM
For a range gun, go wood since it has so much more character and beauty. If it's a field gun, go plastic for light weight, durability, and weather resistance.

You would hate to scar up a nice wood stock busting through brambles and scree or warping it in rain.

Grey1one
08-13-2012, 8:07 PM
For a range gun, go wood since it has so much more character and beauty. If it's a field gun, go plastic for light weight, durability, and weather resistance.

You would hate to scar up a nice wood stock busting through brambles and scree or warping it in rain.

+1.

beerman
08-13-2012, 8:15 PM
Wood....unless the gun is a Nylon 66

Thefeeder
08-13-2012, 8:22 PM
I'm a wood hound The fancier, the better I like it.

Pressed plastic from a mold....seen one ....well you know

ramathorn
08-13-2012, 8:30 PM
I like wood stocks for two reasons...
1) because you can refinish wood
2) and it transforms your weapon into one gnarly club, which could come in handy.

sholling
08-13-2012, 8:32 PM
Wood isn't just beautiful, it's also ridged. Way too many synthetic stocks flex which can effect accuracy.

Boyds (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-Rifles-s/124.htm) makes stocks for the 795.

chknlyps2
08-13-2012, 8:35 PM
I'm probably going to get the wood stock for fun (modifying a Model 60 or 995 stock or a Boyds 795 stock, not sure yet), but I'd like to hear what people like just for fun!
I like wood

This stock was on ebay, just under $35 including shipping. The seller said it was a model 60. It is for a tube fed, I put it on an old model 990, I had to modify the stock so the trigger group would fit. The picture does not do it justice, the tiger stripes look great in the sun.

I only looked for about 2 weeks and this poped up, there are deals out there.
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g375/chknlyps2/SANY0289.jpg
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g375/chknlyps2/SANY0287.jpg

JNunez23
08-13-2012, 8:42 PM
Though I don't currently own any, wood is much nicer and durable.

corrosively_armed
08-13-2012, 9:14 PM
Definitely wood with checkering. For the most part I dislike synthetic as it's identified by the populace at large as being 'an evil black rifle' and the last thing we need as rimfire shooters is to get lumped in with the assault weapons crowd. That being said if the rifle is an AR style for example in design then it makes sense that it would be synthetic although I have some discomfort accepting ar style guns into the rimfire community.

oppe4021
08-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority, I voted synthetic. My 10/22 has a synthetic stock with checkered grips which I really like the feel and weight.

Merc1138
08-14-2012, 3:11 AM
Definitely wood with checkering. For the most part I dislike synthetic as it's identified by the populace at large as being 'an evil black rifle' and the last thing we need as rimfire shooters is to get lumped in with the assault weapons crowd. That being said if the rifle is an AR style for example in design then it makes sense that it would be synthetic although I have some discomfort accepting ar style guns into the rimfire community.

Umm... why?

Your post reminds me of the same arguments that got certain groups supporting the AWB in the first place with exemptions for cowboy style guns. It doesn't matter whether rimfire gets lumped in with EBRs or not, they'll be going after rimfire eventually.

Anyway, since the purpose of this thread isn't about your acceptance of the thoughts of the anti 2a crowd...

It depends upon the gun. Some synthetic stocks aren't very rigid(mostly the cheap stuff like the one that the 795 comes with). Some wood stocks are heavy(not all of them). Some wood stocks are less resistant to handling changes of the elements than others. Some wood stocks will compress in certain areas over time and can loosen up.

If I were to ever go hunting with my .308, it would go back into it's nice and lightweight synthetic stock. In the meantime it sits in an aluminum chassis.

The synthetic stock on the marlin 795 was a bit on the small side for me(and that ati dragunov stock was trash) and it sits in a boyd's thumbhole that isn't much heavier bit lets me grasp it at a better angle.

The synthetic 10/22 stock was garbage, it sits in a tac sol laminate stock because I wanted to keep it lighter in weight than if I had gone the synthetic route(the adjustable hardware and bedding blocks on some synthetic stocks actually add a bit of weight).

A couple other guns sit in synthetic stocks because I don't care about any flex and I don't want a wood stock that'll end up looking like crap when they get banged around. Beyond necessity for some situations, it's really just preference and purpose. There's a 4th option missing from this poll.

ejhc11
08-14-2012, 4:31 AM
Like them both.

Wood is more ahhhhhhh, just nicer more solid especially laminate. But if I ding it arghhhhh.... I would always be looking for a nice soft place to set it down.

Factory cheap synthetics like my 10/22-Savage MKII I would just use it and lay it down anywhere without worries. Its more practical - makes the gun a tool.

High end synthetics - best of both worlds, rigid and durable but more $.

loosewreck
08-14-2012, 3:53 PM
For me it depends on the gun. I like both.

m98
08-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Plastic stocks in the tacticool flavor ftw. Wood damages too easily. Hunting in extreme cold and rain the wood stock can crack if u accidently dropped it. Not just that it can get freezin cold to the touch. Plastic for hunting harsh environment. Wood for range and good huntin weather.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-15-2012, 7:12 PM
Aesthetically, I prefer blue steel and walnut with checkering. On a practical basis, k1dude said it.

Hughes500Pilot
08-15-2012, 9:59 PM
Wood. Only way to go. -Steve

E Michael
08-18-2012, 5:08 PM
I LOVE WOOD.... on my guns :-D

The Right to Bear Arms
08-18-2012, 6:12 PM
Umm... why?

Your post reminds me of the same arguments that got certain groups supporting the AWB in the first place with exemptions for cowboy style guns. It doesn't matter whether rimfire gets lumped in with EBRs or not, they'll be going after rimfire eventually.

Anyway, since the purpose of this thread isn't about your acceptance of the thoughts of the anti 2a crowd...

It depends upon the gun. Some synthetic stocks aren't very rigid(mostly the cheap stuff like the one that the 795 comes with). Some wood stocks are heavy(not all of them). Some wood stocks are less resistant to handling changes of the elements than others. Some wood stocks will compress in certain areas over time and can loosen up.

If I were to ever go hunting with my .308, it would go back into it's nice and lightweight synthetic stock. In the meantime it sits in an aluminum chassis.

The synthetic stock on the marlin 795 was a bit on the small side for me(and that ati dragunov stock was trash) and it sits in a boyd's thumbhole that isn't much heavier bit lets me grasp it at a better angle.

The synthetic 10/22 stock was garbage, it sits in a tac sol laminate stock because I wanted to keep it lighter in weight than if I had gone the synthetic route(the adjustable hardware and bedding blocks on some synthetic stocks actually add a bit of weight).

A couple other guns sit in synthetic stocks because I don't care about any flex and I don't want a wood stock that'll end up looking like crap when they get banged around. Beyond necessity for some situations, it's really just preference and purpose. There's a 4th option missing from this poll.

Damn Merc... I thought I was the resident Devil's Advocate. haha. Good for you, man. I love it when I can take a break and be subjective for a change.

Now, that you've had some time to revel in objectivity. If pressed, which wood stock would you select for the Marlin 795 & Ruger 10/22?

My criteria: I'm looking for some bulk to enhance 2 already accurate platforms.

Take it easy,

Merc1138
08-18-2012, 6:20 PM
Damn Merc... I thought I was the resident Devil's Advocate. haha. Good for you, man. I love it when I can take a break and be subjective for a change.

Now, that you've had some time to revel in objectivity. If pressed, which wood stock would you select for the Marlin 795 & Ruger 10/22?

My criteria: I'm looking for some bulk to enhance 2 already accurate platforms.

Take it easy,

I told you which ones I'm using in the post you just quoted...

The synthetic stock on the marlin 795 was a bit on the small side for me(and that ati dragunov stock was trash) and it sits in a boyd's thumbhole

The synthetic 10/22 stock was garbage, it sits in a tac sol laminate stock

wjc
08-18-2012, 6:25 PM
You need an "Other" option.

Normally I like traditional wooden stocks but when I saw the M&P 15/22 I had to have it.

I've pimped it out something fine too.

VX-II Leopold 3-9x33mm Rimfire EFR scope
Armalite 2-stage Tactical trigger
Harris Bipod

The Right to Bear Arms
08-18-2012, 7:44 PM
Well I guess I know who won't posting any pictures of wood stocks... haha.

Meety Peety
08-18-2012, 7:53 PM
I prefer wood stocks. I love the look of a nicely flamed or burled piece of timber, not just on guns but in furniture, picture frames etc. I love wood :)

Synthetic does have it's practical advantages though, I just typically don't find those advantages to be necessities for my rifles and what I use them for.

Merc1138
08-19-2012, 8:28 AM
Well I guess I know who won't posting any pictures of wood stocks... haha.

Ok, I wasn't sure exactly what your first reply was about, now I'm even more confused. Were you wanting pictures or something?

donw
08-19-2012, 1:37 PM
i prefer synthetic.

they're impervious to weather (Unless it's extreme in either way, hot or cold) they're easy to work on and repair and not nearly as expensive for the biggest part.

Panchira!
08-19-2012, 3:13 PM
I like both. I prefer wood on my marlin and just ordered a Boyd's stock. The plastic stock is to light IMHO. Standing and aiming for mag after mag I noticed the front of the gun felt heavy. And the plastic looks cheap. Now big heavy rifles I would go synthetic for weight. If you had to use it as a club wood period.

There was no other selection for the poll.

DasBoost
08-21-2012, 6:44 PM
Wood. The biggest gripe I had for my 795 was the synthetic stock; it felt like a toy. I miss the hollow butt of the synthetic but the older OEM Marlin wood stock makes it handle so much better and adds some heft to it.

Horton Fenty
08-21-2012, 7:10 PM
Other than the odd precision rifle or something I prefer wood. Wood can just be really beautiful and have character.

easy
08-21-2012, 7:16 PM
Wood - looks better, feels better.

CelticRanger
08-23-2012, 2:24 AM
First, not all wood stocks look good, especially in modern production guns. It's the nature of wood being a natural, imperfect material.
But yes, a "good" wood stock is a thing of beauty, like the furniture on my Browning auto 12 gauge. But I tend to baby it because of this.

08-23-2012, 2:29 AM
Wood on the Marlin 39A
Synthetic on a 10/22 or 795 type

I wouldn't spend money to change the stock on a rimfire though.

fishnbeer
08-23-2012, 1:21 PM
depends on the rifle. some i prefer synthetic, some were meant to be wood

defcon
08-23-2012, 2:19 PM
i dont like wood. i prefer evil looking black rifles.

CharlesV
08-26-2012, 4:48 PM
All my opinions are already in here but i'll post anyway as a vote.

Overall, generally,
Wood if a range gun
Synthetic if a field gun

BUT
If a wood gun one tends to baby it because they look like hell when scraped and scratched (which is exactly what happens when you graduate the gun from a toy to a tool). For this reason, wood, one tends to spend a lot of time caring for, and worrying about the wood instead of worrying about ones accuracy. I like wood for its heft, solid feel and, usually, its width which my hands appreciate.

If a synthetic gun, upkeep is no more complicated than hosing it down with a garden hose, is light, and doesnt nic or chip. But there goes the width and heft which may affect marksmanship. This analogy is intended to compare a boat. A light boat flies away, a hefty boat plants itself in the water and that stability creates ease of coursemaking and a more comfortable ride.

Maybe wood never belonged on a gun, maybe they should have been entirely made of receiver steel akin to a steam punk frame. This keeps the right perspective which is that a gun is a killing tool and not comfortable, overstuffed fine furniture. When you think about it, furniture polish doesnt belong on a gun. The only things that truly belong on a gun are you, a bullet and a good eye. If we can consider this the best shooting arrangement then use whichever stock gets you closer to that.

Triple A's
08-26-2012, 9:27 PM
Can't go wrong with wood, so classy!

Speedpower
08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
My new 10/22 on a Black Laminate wooden stock!

glock 357
08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Both! Tac driver has to be synthetic I wanna beat it up, paint it, bang it and abuse it NutnFancy style! Nice wood on a hunter is a must. Will look good when photographed next to your trophy :) But I kinda lean more on the traditional wood. It's forgiving and you can bed it very nicely.

bergmen
08-27-2012, 8:25 PM
on my long arms. No synthetics at all. A variety of materials on my handgun grips (application specific).

Dan

M27
08-27-2012, 8:44 PM
depends on the firearm and what it is for but I am not against either one

trob
08-27-2012, 9:20 PM
Im actually very surprised. I figured Calgunners would be more of a synthetic crowd. Im glad to see it's the other way around. NOTHIN better than a wood stock.