PDA

View Full Version : Noob Ammo question

virafp
08-13-2012, 3:29 PM
Hi All:

I have a Remington Wingmaster from the 70's, and need some ammo recommendations. I wanted to take it to an outdoor range, so what the best ammo to use for target shooting? Just shoot at around 30-40 yds.

Ammo recommendations would help - have not quite figured out the numbers yet! When I had my first shotgun in India, you could only get one type of ammo!

Thanks for the help.

ouch1
08-13-2012, 3:37 PM
What kind of target shooting are you planning on doing?

Clays?
Patterning?
Centerfire targets?
Tin cans?

All really need different types of ammo. So please let us know.

-ouch1

virafp
08-13-2012, 3:39 PM
What kind of target shooting are you planning on doing?

Clays?
Patterning?
Centerfire targets?
Tin cans?

All really need different types of ammo. So please let us know.

-ouch1

Mainly tin cans, metal tagets, and would like to try clays at some point in the future.

Thanks

Barbarossa
08-13-2012, 3:49 PM
If you are shooting Clay Pigeons, most ranges will have guidelines on what you may use.

7 1/2, 8 or 9 trap (low base) loads

No use spending Big Money on ammo, just for plinking.

ouch1
08-13-2012, 3:49 PM
For tin cans and such I recommend #4 buckshot as it is fun to watch the cans get ripped apart. Especially plastic soda bottles in the 1 liter size. they tend to explode when filled with water and flop around nicely.

As for metal targets ( I am assuming you mean ones like "evil ivans" ) I would use either "00" buckshot or slugs. As they will transmit enough energy to knock the target down or around if you using something like a large dueling tree.

For clays I would use a reduced load #8 birdshot. That is all I use for clays and it works very well. And it does not tear up your shoulder from firing alot of shells.

-ouch1

Legasat
08-13-2012, 4:10 PM
Most of the ranges for Skeet or Trap that I have been to only allow #7 1/2 to #9 for shooting clays.

Tin cans, use your favorite buckshot.

For hunting larger targets, use slugs.

For home defense, buckshot.

mikajo39
08-13-2012, 4:24 PM
I usually just use the Federal target loads from walmart, either in 7 1/2 shot or 8. Fun blasting ammo and works well on the range for clays. Depending on your area walmart will carry cheap buckshot and slugs. I use the Winchester Super-X buckshot and slugs for bigger targets and what not. Value packs are usually fairly priced.

virafp
08-13-2012, 9:59 PM
Thanks for all the help...will head over to the store tomorrow.