PDA

View Full Version : Pocket CCW - M&P Shield?

dpop24
08-13-2012, 3:36 PM
I just put my name on the list (I'm the first name) at my LGS for whenever they get an M&P Shield .40 in stock. I'm thinking of it for the pocket pistol of my 3 gun lineup if I get approved for my LTC.

Anyone using one in the capacity of a pocket pistol? It does seem a bit big for that purpose and maybe I should be looking at something a bit smaller and make the Shield the subcompact gun in my lineup.

Full size = Beretta 96 Vertec Inox
Compact = S&W 4013 or 3913 single stack (looking for one of these!) - or possibly the Shield
Pocket = .40 Shield or ????

I currently own an AMT BackUp .380 but I've never really gotten along with it. I guess this could be the pocket gun if I can spend some time getting to love it.

coq
08-13-2012, 3:50 PM
Really comfortable pocket guns are usually of the .380 variety, but some single stack 9mms work OK. Kahr PM9 is about as small as they get. Shield is slightly larger, but could work depending on type of pants and holster. I like the PM9, but the shield feels really great (haven't shot one, only fondled). Bottom line for a pocket gun is not how it shoots so much as does it fit you well enough that you will have it with you.

snook135
08-13-2012, 3:54 PM
I pocket carry a sig238, and also a kahr cw9 and a cw40... Ok for a pocket gun, the shield is ok in the pocket. But just like the kahr it's better in a inside the pants holster.

JeremyS
08-13-2012, 3:56 PM
I personally think the Shield is too tall (grip too long) and too heavy for a pocket gun. I have a Nano, which is shorter, slimmer, and the same weight, and I think it's a tad too big to be truly comfortable in a pocket. I can make it happen though. Not really sure if it's the weight or the length and height that make it feel a little too big. A Kahr PM9/CM9, maybe Sig P938, or some of the cheap, crappy micro 9's (e.g. Diamondback) would be better for this. Obviously, plenty of .380's fit the bill.

dpop24
08-13-2012, 4:15 PM
I personally think the Shield is too tall (grip too long) and too heavy for a pocket gun. I have a Nano, which is shorter, slimmer, and the same weight, and I think it's a tad too big to be truly comfortable in a pocket. I can make it happen though. Not really sure if it's the weight or the length and height that make it feel a little too big. A Kahr PM9/CM9, maybe Sig P938, or some of the cheap, crappy micro 9's (e.g. Diamondback) would be better for this. Obviously, plenty of .380's fit the bill.

Ok, now you're just bragging! We can't get the Nano or the P938 in CA.... lol. I think maybe I need to take a closer look at the Kahr PM9 or PM40.

BoJackUSMC
08-13-2012, 4:42 PM
I am also thinking about buying Beretta Nano.

Legasat
08-13-2012, 4:59 PM
The Shield is an excellent choice. All the ergonomics of the M&P line, with a new trigger that will become the default trigger for all of the M&P's.

Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot.

Sunday
08-13-2012, 5:05 PM
J frame airweight. Why a full size on the ccw? just wondering

Distro
08-13-2012, 5:15 PM
From an S&W forum.

http://i.imgur.com/x53Rk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EjWdq.jpg

jvpark
08-13-2012, 5:26 PM
I consider the Shield more a compact than a pocket gun...

brianm767
08-13-2012, 5:34 PM
There's no way I could carry a shield in my pocket. Even my PF9 is too bid for me. I can carry my PM9 in my pocket but I don't like too. LCP is perfect for pocket
If you wear cargo pants with big pockets you might pull it off, but I couldn't

Nor~Cal
08-13-2012, 8:15 PM
I just put my name on the list (I'm the first name) at my LGS for whenever they get an M&P Shield .40 in stock. I'm thinking of it for the pocket pistol of my 3 gun lineup if I get approved for my LTC.

Anyone using one in the capacity of a pocket pistol? It does seem a bit big for that purpose and maybe I should be looking at something a bit smaller and make the Shield the subcompact gun in my lineup.

Full size = Beretta 96 Vertec Inox
Compact = S&W 4013 or 3913 single stack (looking for one of these!) - or possibly the Shield
Pocket = .40 Shield or ????

I currently own an AMT BackUp .380 but I've never really gotten along with it. I guess this could be the pocket gun if I can spend some time getting to love it.

I might be wrong on this but I looked into the M&P Shield 40 and it is not available in CA only the 9mm It is a nice handgun, you might want to look into it.

dpop24
08-13-2012, 9:31 PM
I might be wrong on this but I looked into the M&P Shield 40 and it is not available in CA only the 9mm It is a nice handgun, you might want to look into it.

Looks like you're right, it doesn't show up on the roster. Guess the gal at my LGS didn't know either! I would settle for the Shield 9. You guys might be talking me into getting comfortable with my AMT.

Kraviwannabe
08-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Ok, now you're just bragging! We can't get the Nano or the P938 in CA.... lol. I think maybe I need to take a closer look at the Kahr PM9 or PM40.
You might want to check out the CM9 or 40 as well. $200 cheaper then the PMs. Same gun minus some cosmetics and match barrel!

dpop24
08-14-2012, 1:35 PM
J frame airweight. Why a full size on the ccw? just wondering

Avoiding revolvers at the moment because I have really young kids who are always climbing on me. Gonna stick with auto loaders with external safety and/or an empty chamber until I can get everyone trained up. Just being overly cautious.

To be clear, I don't have my CCW yet, but the FS Beretta is going on the list because it's my only current handgun that I can bet my life on. I've had it forever, I know it forwards and backwards, and I shoot it great.

That being said, I do envision myself over time migrating to smaller guns. My dream EDC would be a Beretta 8040 Mini Cougar (same controls as my 96, but off roster. Almost impossible to find). Second choice is an S&W 4013 single stack which is also super hard to find. I'm hoping to settle for 3913, 4013 TSW, or 6906 until the mini Cougar falls into my lap. If anyone has any of those lovelies for sale in NorCal, let me know!

Pocket gun research continues. I prefer DA/SA so options are limited. The Shield is leading the way even though most agree it's too big for a pocket carry.

brianm767
08-14-2012, 4:27 PM
You might want to check out the CM9 or 40 as well. $200 cheaper then the PMs. Same gun minus some cosmetics and match barrel!
CM's are not on the roster either.

JeremyS
08-14-2012, 5:35 PM
I prefer DA/SA so options are limited.Yes. That means a hammer, and not a SAO (like P938 or the Colt New Mustang Pocketlite (http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/Colt380MustangPocketlite.aspx)), which is certainly very hard to find in a gun that would fit in a pocket. Even the SAO guns have heavy triggers because of the use. Those will all have a thumb safety. The "DAO" guns typically have longer, heavier triggers and may or may not have a safety. But finding a pocket 9 mm in DA/SA??? Man... short list. Is there a list? CZ Rami is too big, but that's getting close. Obviously you have some S&Ws and Berettas in mind.

I carried my Nano in my cargo shorts' front pocket (not the cargo pocket, but the one where you would stick your hand or keep your car keys, etc) around the house last night, as we had some movers bringing couches in at 9:00 PM and I had no clue who these guys would be. I have a Remora holster that's very similar to the DeSantis one pictured above w/ the Shield in it. After walking around and wearing it in there for an hour or so, I can say that it's comfortable but it isn't my preference. It can be felt more than when carrying it IWB. The weight in the pocket, the way it bumps your leg when you walk, etc. The Nano is 5.63" overall length, while the Shield is 6.1" length. Even in my cargo shorts, which are a loose fit and super caj (as in, short for casual), with pretty large pockets, the grip could sometimes be seen hovering near the opening of the pocket. You would have to have REALLY deep pockets (literally, not $$$) to properly conceal something larger. For me, this method of carry would be significantly more comfortable with a lighter gun and it would be easier to conceal properly with an even shorter gun.

Besides, with my cell phone in my left pocket, putting a gun in my right would mean losing a place for car keys and a place for my small pocketknife, which clips to the pocket but really just could not if there was a firearm in there.

I did a little range report for the Nano when I took it out for the first time a couple weeks ago, if anyone cares to read it. Doesn't address carrying though: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=604684

Tiberius
08-14-2012, 10:40 PM
As noted above, options for a DA/SA 9mm, especially one with a safety, are limited. If you're willing to compromise on caliber, the Bersa Thunder .380 is very similar to the Beretta 92 in operation (DA/SA with external safety/decocker) and can sometimes fit a pocket. Some pocket carry it, some find it too big. I have pocket carried one with the right pocket. The .380 is both expensive and less powerful than a 9mm; however, there's that saying about the .380 you have with you being better than the bigger gun you left behind. I'm not a real fan of .380 but there are many more pocket options in that caliber.

There is a compact single stack version of the 92; I forget what it's called but very rarely one will show up in the for sale section. The CZ Rami is close to the goal but probably too fat. There's also a PX4 subcompact, which may be off roster. The M&P 9c can had with a safety, tho somewhat ironically the version with a safety is not on the "safe gun" roster.

Legasat
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM

The Shield 40 is coming. It has been submitted to CA for the silly drop test, but it has not yet been tested. S&W did not have an expected dated when I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago, but it IS coming.

Sunday
08-15-2012, 7:36 AM
Avoiding revolvers at the moment because I have really young kids who are always climbing on me. Gonna stick with auto loaders with external safety and/or an empty chamber until I can get everyone trained up. Just being overly cautious.

To be clear, I don't have my CCW yet, but the FS Beretta is going on the list because it's my only current handgun that I can bet my life on. I've had it forever, I know it forwards and backwards, and I shoot it great.

That being said, I do envision myself over time migrating to smaller guns. My dream EDC would be a Beretta 8040 Mini Cougar (same controls as my 96, but off roster. Almost impossible to find). Second choice is an S&W 4013 single stack which is also super hard to find. I'm hoping to settle for 3913, 4013 TSW, or 6906 until the mini Cougar falls into my lap. If anyone has any of those lovelies for sale in NorCal, let me know!

Pocket gun research continues. I prefer DA/SA so options are limited. The Shield is leading the way even though most agree it's too big for a pocket carry.
The reason why I was wondering about the full size for a ccw gun is that most of the people after a period of carry end up with a compact semi or J frame types. If the AMT is reliable it may be a good option as pocket guns have to work and not need to be fun to shoot.

brianm767
08-15-2012, 7:58 AM
The reason why I was wondering about the full size for a ccw gun is that most of the people after a period of carry end up with a compact semi or J frame types. If the AMT is reliable it may be a good option as pocket guns have to work and not need to be fun to shoot.

I bought a XD40SC and M&P40C for my daily carry, I realized that "for me" they were way too big and heavy, so I sold/traded them, I bought a Khar PM9 & Keltec PF9 although much better, and not too bad in a IWB holster, for me, I still wanted smaller so I bought a Khar P380 and Ruger LCP, Perfect!! yes the caliber is small, but I often went out without the bigger guns, so it was better than the bigger guns I would leave at home. I traded off the P380, it was a beautiful well built gun, but for $200 less the LCP functioned just as well , it was lighter, thinner and smother edges for pocket carry and I was more accurate with the LCP. The AMT backup is a nice small gun, but being all steel it is a tank when compared to a LCP, you forget you have the LCP In your pocket. It’s nice to have a few guns on your permit, one for pocket, one for holster and mayby a full size for car use. But I carried the LCP 97% of the time. I need another one, I traded it off too, couldnt resist.

I prefer DA only for pocket carry, in my pocket I want that long trigger pull, it's all the safety you need.

shipwreck
08-15-2012, 9:41 AM
Been pocket carrying mine for 3.5 months now - nary a problem. Despite the people who say it can't be done, I am apparently a junior Houdini, since I manage to carry it daily :( :(

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/pocket1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield.jpg

ElDub1950
08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
I 'think' I'd like to get a Shield, but it suck that it might be months before any store will have one in stock that I can fondle .. seems like there's a waiting list everywhere so they'll be gone before I can even see one.

My big issue is that I currently carry a Glock 27 and the Shield grip is a little longer, but the G27 grip is a little fatter. I'm concerned that the extra grip length wipes out any concealability benefit over the fatter Glock. If there's no benefit I'd rather wait for the new trigger to come in the M&P 40C

Any have both, that can comment.

shipwreck
08-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I 'think' I'd like to get a Shield, but it suck that it might be months before any store will have one in stock that I can fondle .. seems like there's a waiting list everywhere so they'll be gone before I can even see one.

Someone on another forum posted this today:

So I called Smith and Wesson. I asked them about Shield availability. After a deathly long silence, the guy said he gets like 5 calls per day asking the same question. They are making 300-400/day with a backlog of 40,000. Hmmmmm.