PDA

View Full Version : Is a Beretta 92FS suppose to do this?

Goop
08-13-2012, 10:47 AM
I’m pretty new to the 92FS and learning its safeties. I’m not sure but I think this used one I bought might have something wrong with it. After I rack the slide and the hammer gets set back there is something odd. If I push the slide forward slightly, it goes forward about another quarter inch and drops the hammer down. Since I’m not pulling the trigger I’m sure it wont fire but I haven’t seen anything like that before. Should I just be able to tap the slide after racking it as a way of decocking? Is that normal feature or is something awry?

I have to think its a problem because a lot of the time if i'm manipulating the safety it will give that little push to cause the hammer to drop. It is kinda scary to flip it to fire and instantly the hammer falls down.

Suvorov
08-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Your safety/decock is on and you are riding the slide forward! Do not do this, release the slide and let it go forward. If you safety is off, then the hammer will stay back, if it is on, then the hammer will decock.

This is normal!

Read the instruction manual PLEASE!

Goop
08-13-2012, 10:57 AM
See thats the problem, with the safety off it STILL decocks if i just tap the slide a little bit in the back. I know it auto decocks when putting it to safety, its suppose to do that. But with safety off and hammer back if i just tap the back of slide a little the hammer drops.

Suvorov
08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I'll have to check the manual again, that is typically normal i thought when ENABLING the safety. I noticed this occurs just when i just tap the back of the slide.

If your safety/decock is ON, then it will decock the hammer when the gun goes into battery automatically.

If your slide moves forward when you tap it, then it is not going into battery most likely because you are riding the slide forward.

Try this with an unloaded firearm with no magazine:

set you safety to ON, pull the slide back fully and then release it allowing it to slam forward. The hammer should decock.

next,

set your safety to OFF, pull the slide back full and then release it allowing the slide to slam forward. The hammer should remain cocked.

next,

tap the back of the slide/hammer. Nothing should happen.

What do you get?

Goop
08-13-2012, 11:18 AM
I'll give that a try....

pMcW
08-13-2012, 11:18 AM
The safety is designed to work as a de-cocking lever:

When you release the slide when the safety is in the "safe" position, the hammer follows the slide forward into the un-cocked position.
When you release the slide when the safety is in the "fire" position the hammer remains in the cocked position, ready for single-action firing.
When the hammer is cocked and you switch the safety from "fire" to "safe", the hammer de-cocks.

I have noticed that the hammer on my 92fs sometimes tends to sticks at a "slightly-cocked" position when the safety is in the "safe" position and I close the slide slowly (which I do only when the gun not loaded...) When this happens, pushing forward on the slide causes the hammer to "click" into the un-cocked position. I don't think that this is supposed to happen. But my 92fs does it consistently. So, I never ride the slide forward in that manner when a loaded magazine is inserted.

See thats the problem, with the safety off it STILL decocks if i just tap the slide a little bit in the back. I know it auto decocks when putting it to safety, its suppose to do that. But with safety off and hammer back if i just tap the back of slide a little the hammer drops.

That seems like a malfunction...

Dr Rockso
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
It should never decock when left in the 'fire' position. The hammer should never remain cocked when in the 'safe' position with the slide in battery.

Goop
08-13-2012, 12:04 PM
It should never decock when left in the 'fire' position.

Then there is definitely a malfunction then because i'm sure it does that. I first noticed it when i would rack the slide, (i dont think i was riding it hard but will have to retry) and when flipping it from safe to fire the hammer dropped. Later i realized this just came from me applying pressure to back of the slide not the actual switch.

Suvorov
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Then there is definitely a malfunction then because i'm sure it does that. I first noticed it when i would rack the slide, (i dont think i was riding it hard but will have to retry) and when flipping it from safe to fire the hammer dropped. Later i realized this just came from me applying pressure to back of the slide not the actual switch.

Does this happen when the safety lever is in the UP/OFF position?

Goop
08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Does this happen when the safety lever is in the UP/OFF position?

Yes it does, irregardless of safety position, if i tap the back the slide moves forward a quarter inch and drops the hammer. When i get home later i will try easing the slide much slower instead of riding it to see if this still happens. Even if easing it down does correct this though, what is going to happen when i start firing? I imagine the problem would still remain. Slide gets bumped and im back to a double action shot again. If i didn't have that trigger block safety this would be dangerous as hell.

Have not shot it yet, discovered all this in pre safety check.

SilverTauron
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Check your takedown lever to ensure its secured properly.

Assuming that's the case and the gun is still broken, id get in touch with a local gunsmith for further research. I know from personal experience Beretta's customer service is worse than useless;if you bought the gun used, do not bother contacting the factory.

Munk
08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Slingshot man, slingshot. If it still does it when you don't ride the slide, see a smith.

DArBad
08-13-2012, 1:41 PM
............ I know from personal experience Beretta's customer service is worse than useless;if you bought the gun used, do not bother contacting the factory.

Wow, that really sucks. I mean, if the factory will not warrant its products.....its not good.

JeremyS
08-13-2012, 1:47 PM
Yes it does, irregardless of safety position, if i tap the back the slide moves forward a quarter inch and drops the hammer. When i get home later i will try easing the slide much slower instead of riding it to see if this still happens. Even if easing it down does correct this though, what is going to happen when i start firing? I imagine the problem would still remain. Slide gets bumped and im back to a double action shot again. If i didn't have that trigger block safety this would be dangerous as hell.

Have not shot it yet, discovered all this in pre safety check.No, easing it down slowly is riding it. The suggestion is to pull it all of the way back and release it like a slingshot. On many guns, easing it forwards will prevent it from going into battery. You should never be able to push on the back of the slide and have it go forwards a quarter inch or any amount. When you release the slide after racking it, it must go ALL of the way forwards and into full battery for it to actually function. If it isn't, you are letting it down much too gently. Slingshot.

That said, it sounds like it should still not behave how you are describing.

Also, and I know everyone will hate me for this, but "irregardless" is not a word and I just have to mention it because it pains me so. "Regardless" is a word and "irrespective" is a word, but "irregardless" is totally made up and it literally hurts me when people say it :o

snafu510
08-13-2012, 2:53 PM
Also, and I know everyone will hate me for this, but "irregardless" is not a word and I just have to mention it because it pains me so. "Regardless" is a word and "irrespective" is a word, but "irregardless" is totally made up and it literally hurts me when people say it :o

Irregardless and 'end result'. Every issue of Guns and Ammo used to contain at least one instance of each. Might have been Shooting Times. Maybe both.

mls204
08-13-2012, 2:54 PM
Did you buy this 92fs used? I'd look into replacing your recoil spring as it sounds like that may also be an issue.

With most semi-auto's, when you pull the slide back you should just let it sling-shot forward. Do not hold onto it as it's goes to battery. (I think this is what Suvorov means when he says "riding it forward.") If it is still not going into battery then your ammo is out of spec or something else is wrong.

pMcW
08-13-2012, 3:08 PM
Did you buy this 92fs used? I'd look into replacing your recoil spring as it sounds like that may also be an issue.

With most semi-auto's, when you pull the slide back you should just let it sling-shot forward. Do not hold onto it as it's goes to battery. (I think this is what Suvorov means when he says "riding it forward.") If it is still not going into battery then your ammo is out of spec or something else is wrong.

More is going on here than failure to go into battery. OP seems to suggest that the hammer remains in the cocked position when closing the slide with the safety in the ON position. Then the hammer falls when moving the safety to the FIRE position. That must be a problem with the safety/decocking mechanism, or the hammer...

Goop
08-13-2012, 3:16 PM
Well at FIRST I thought moving it to fire was dropping the hammer and that had me worried that there was something seriously wrong with the safety, but I later determined it was just any tap to the back of the slide. So flipping it to fire was really just me applying a forward pressure that dropped the hammer.

voiceoftheright
08-13-2012, 3:28 PM
Another problem I'm reading that I didn't see mentioned was that you state (I believe) that the weapon is cocked when on safe? That shouldn't be possible with a 92fs/M9. If the weapon is on safe it is decocked or you have a problem.

mls204
08-13-2012, 3:30 PM
More is going on here than failure to go into battery. OP seems to suggest that the hammer remains in the cocked position when closing the slide with the safety in the ON position. Then the hammer falls when moving the safety to the FIRE position. That must be a problem with the safety/decocking mechanism, or the hammer...

OP: no disrespect but safety ON = don't see the red dot, and FIRE = see the red dot, right??

0321jarhead
08-13-2012, 3:37 PM
Check this out. Download the owners manual. It's free. http://www.berettausa.com/file.aspx?DocumentId=11

Goop
08-13-2012, 4:01 PM
OP: no disrespect but safety ON = don't see the red dot, and FIRE = see the red dot, right??

Correct. Look at it this way. I leave it in safe and rack the slide. It comes back and the hammer is cocked. I then tap the back of the slide, its moves a tiny bit and decocks the hammer. Didn't even touch the safety. I dont recall if i was riding the slide but even if i was, it still seems that something is off. There shouldn't be that wiggle room to begin with. I'm not familiar with the FS. Should this be the case? After racking it while on safe should the hammer be down or not? If the answer is no then that is my problem. Something is likely bent somewhere that prevents the slide from going all the way forward, then i push it the last bit and it goes to its normal state.

Bobby Ricigliano
08-13-2012, 4:10 PM
1000's and 1000's of rounds through 3 personal Berettas and I've never seen anything like this.

P5Ret
08-13-2012, 4:18 PM
never mind, bad idea.

WootSauce
08-13-2012, 4:29 PM
Correct. Look at it this way. I leave it in safe and rack the slide. It comes back and the hammer is cocked. I then tap the back of the slide, its moves a tiny bit and decocks the hammer. Didn't even touch the safety. I dont recall if i was riding the slide but even if i was, it still seems that something is off. There shouldn't be that wiggle room to begin with. I'm not familiar with the FS. Should this be the case? After racking it while on safe should the hammer be down or not? If the answer is no then that is my problem. Something (your hand by riding the slide) is likely prevent[ing] the slide from going all the way forward,then i push it the last bit and it goes [into battery].

^this.

when you rack the slide and pull it all the way back are you letting go of the slide? or are you holding the slide as you let it go forward?

mls204
08-13-2012, 4:40 PM
Ok it sounds like there's definitely a problem. I think everyone is asking you clarification questions about riding the slide because that may be causing the issue but it sounds like you've cleared that up. In short, my 92fs does not do that. If the safety is on and I rack the slide, the hammer ALWAYS drops and never remains cocked back. If and only if I disengage the safety then it will stay cocked after racking the slide.

Time to find a gunsmith.

WootSauce
08-13-2012, 4:42 PM
zJVUsaeEkBU

yUnLceBAw-U

notice how he lets the slide go when its all the way back, he doesn't hold the slide while it goes forward (we call that "riding the slide")

Goop
08-13-2012, 4:44 PM
If the safety is on and I rack the slide, the hammer ALWAYS drops and never remains cocked back.

Ok, then that is definitely the issue. What about if you ride the slide a bit? If you let it go slowly can you put it in a state where the hammer is still back until you nudge it a bit? Or can you not keep it back on safe to save your life?

SilverTauron
08-13-2012, 4:49 PM
Ok, then that is definitely the issue. What about if you ride the slide a bit? If you let it go slowly can you put it in a state where the hammer is still back until you nudge it a bit? Or can you not keep it back on safe to save your life?

Your description of the problem is somewhat unclear, so ill post this to help.

My normal Beretta 92F would do the following.If you gun doesn't do this , then its in need of service.

Safety ON:Rack slide, hammer follows the slide into decocked hammer-down position.Upon disengaging the safety, hammer stays down in the decocked position.

Safety OFF:Rack slide, hammer stays cocked in single action until the trigger is activated or the safety is turned on . Should safety be activated at this point, the weapon will decock .

If your gun stays cocked with the safety on, or decocks itself off safe, it is broken.

WootSauce
08-13-2012, 4:54 PM
I'm gunna take a whack at summarizing this. with what SilverTauron said what I'm guessing is that:
you have the safety ON
you rack the slide
you ride the slide home
it DOES NOT go into battery (so the hammer stays back)
you tap the slide
slide goes into battery
hammer decocks

frankDmole
08-13-2012, 4:55 PM
This happened to me the first time I took my 92fs completely down, check your slide spring placement.
there are plenty of utube videos out there but the best by far is at http://beretta92fs.com/index.html

Sunday
08-13-2012, 4:59 PM
And the internet blather says that a 1911 it too hard as a beginners pistol.

WootSauce
08-13-2012, 5:01 PM
And the internet blather says that a 1911 it too hard as a beginners pistol.

:rofl2:
I lol'd

9mmepiphany
08-13-2012, 5:13 PM
you have the safety ON
you rack the slide
you ride the slide home
it DOES NOT go into battery (so the hammer stays back)
you tap the slide
slide goes into battery
hammer decocks
If this is what is happening, it is operating normally, but you aren't

If the safety is off...parallel with the bore...the hammer should stay cocked

Goop
08-13-2012, 5:13 PM
Yep, thanks for all the help but as it turns out it was just stupid me riding the slide. If i let it drop normally it doesn't give me any issue at all. If i let it down slowly the hammer stays cocked until i click it into place. That is just normally behavior. I guess the law of the land is just to never ride the slide.

sneather
08-13-2012, 5:14 PM
Quick question for the OP. You didn't by chance buy a DAO model, did you?
I've become quite familiar with the Beretta 92 design, inside and out. It's a fairly simple, and durable design. For something to be going wrong like that, it's either double-action only model, or possibly the previous owner messed with or changed something with the slide-mounted safety. That's the only thing which comes in contact with the sear disengagement lever.

WootSauce
08-13-2012, 5:30 PM
Yep, thanks for all the help but as it turns out it was just stupid me riding the slide. If i let it drop normally it doesn't give me any issue at all. If i let it down slowly the hammer stays cocked until i click it into place. That is just normally behavior. I guess the law of the land is just to never ride the slide.

^
Yup ;) :thumbsup: glad to help

voiceoftheright
08-13-2012, 7:24 PM
Quick question for the OP. You didn't by chance buy a DAO model, did you?
I've become quite familiar with the Beretta 92 design, inside and out. It's a fairly simple, and durable design. For something to be going wrong like that, it's either double-action only model, or possibly the previous owner messed with or changed something with the slide-mounted safety. That's the only thing which comes in contact with the sear disengagement lever.

Not too familiar, the DAO Berettas do not have a thumb safety.

walmart_ar15
08-13-2012, 7:50 PM
OP your gun is working fine. It is doing exactly what it is designed to do.

When safety-on and closing the slide, there will be resistent from the safety trying to release the hammer (manually feel how much force you have to use the to release the hammer). This will stop the slide from going into full battery. A little nudge will move the slide forward and release the hammer. It is just how it is designed.

I am not a believer in sling the slide against an empty chamber. ;)

Munk
08-13-2012, 8:38 PM

Remember, your gun is containing an explosion that slams the slide back as it kicks a little piece of metal out the front. You don't exactly need to be gentle with letting the slide return home, the gun itself sure isn't.

sneather
08-13-2012, 8:51 PM
Not too familiar, the DAO Berettas do not have a thumb safety.

Sorry, I meant to say "G" slide. Decocker, only.
Sounds like it's a moot point for the OP.