PDA

View Full Version : ar15 pistol questions...?

Gothboy
08-13-2012, 5:40 AM
Ok, so I have been seeing little mentions about ar15 pistols and 80% lowers, and the possibility that the two may be related. Also Ive seen about build parties but not really alot is mentioned, and Im sure for some good reason. Ive searched a couple times and not found much other than pictures of complete guns, though perhaps Im not using the correct parameters.
-Four part question here.
So what I want to know, if someone would be so kind as to enlighten me, is that...
A) If I were to buy a 5.56 80% lower from some place somewhere, (I'd probably find someone on here who does them) , then can I...

B) legally build it into a pistol with no intention of selling it and...

C) would I have to SSE it or even register it at all I have no idea, and...

D) Is there a build party kind of thing for this where I would be surrounded by people who have a clue what I would be doing because I do not?
The build party idea sounds cool, though since I have not attended one I have no idea how it works, lol. I would need to know what Im trying to do before attempting to do it.

As far as I can tell what Im asking is completely legal, as I have no intentions of attempting subterfuge and circumventing california law. If I am mistaken in my opinions, please feel free to correct me. :) Thank you all in advance. -GothY-

Quiet
08-13-2012, 6:30 AM
B) Yes, you can build an 80% reciever into a handgun

C) Yes, you would need to build it as a dimensionally compliant single-shot pistol. No, you are not required to register it. Some people register their home built handguns, because it helps prove to skeptical LEOs that it are CA legal.

D) Check the gunsmith forum for build parties and/or info on builds.

Arkangel
08-13-2012, 7:35 AM
Quiet pretty much covered it, all I can add is don't forget the BB. AR pistols are AW's without one.

Gothboy
08-13-2012, 9:04 AM
Cool guys thank you immensely! I'll check it out. :) -GothY-

Synergy
08-13-2012, 9:12 AM
Also to add: You can purchase a "pistol" upper, and have it ready to build. Many here advise to just keep it away from any complete rifle lowers. That could lead to constructive possession of a SBR.

Here is my 80%
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/20120111_143219-1.jpg

It started with this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/20120110_161709.jpg

Whiterabbit
08-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Interesting stuff. Looks like your barrel is threaded too, I assume cause it's a fixed mag?

Nice handguard, too.

I have a dumb question. let's say I wanted to copy your pistol but didn't want the BB at all. (if you have to ask why, I'll just say "cause I'm a tinkerer and like things my way") Could I still load your pistol like this?

http://www.quarterbore.com/images/fab10_1e.jpg

Do they make mags that are pretty flush with AR-15 mag wells?

---------

If the answers to the above are yes, then (I don't care about reload speed) is it possible to set the upper and lower pins so its 100% tool-less to load? (either assuming a stripper clip is not a tool, or that I can push the rounds in 1 at a time by hand) I'd want to unpin by hand but still have the upper swivel so the whole shebang stays in one piece.

And the REALLY dumb question is, can I assume there's no legal difference here between AR-15 and AR-10?

CK_32
08-17-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm also looking into a 80%.

I thought you bought one sent it to a shop have it milled out and coated then be done. Not that simple sadly.

There's a lot more to just gettin the dam lower ready than I expected.. Need to buy jigs and a template thing and find someone with a drill press.

Now I'm trying to research a good decent priced shop to let me milll it out and find a cheap coatin place with out blowing the bank. And still looking for a template to use.

If any guys done with their 80% have an info or good places to go SoCal area or the stuff needed to kill it out (template/jigs ect) please PM me.

CK_32
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
That could lead to constructive possession of a SBR.

What makes it a pistol upper va rifle? I thought uppers were uppers all depended on the lower if registered as a pistol or not.

IPSICK
08-17-2012, 12:58 PM
B) Yes, you can build an 80% reciever into a handgun

C) Yes, you would need to build it as a dimensionally compliant single-shot pistol. No, you are not required to register it. Some people register their home built handguns, because it helps prove to skeptical LEOs that it are CA legal.

D) Check the gunsmith forum for build parties and/or info on builds.

I'm not quite sure if the bolded is correct.

Packy14
08-17-2012, 1:04 PM
What makes it a pistol upper va rifle? I thought uppers were uppers all depended on the lower if registered as a pistol or not.

if you don't own a pistol lower and you own a pistol upper and a rifle lower, they can say you have an SBR even if not put together at the time.

Bartin
08-17-2012, 2:09 PM
I'm not quite sure if the bolded is correct.

It is correct.

CK_32
08-17-2012, 2:50 PM
What makes a pistol upper? Is it just a upper under 16" or is there actual pistol uppers and what makes them designated pistol uppers..?

And do you HAVE to buy a pistol upper for a pistol upper?? I'm assuming you can get what ever length upper with a registered pistol lower. Just rifle lowers have to have anything above a 16" OAL..

USAbodypilot
08-17-2012, 3:30 PM
This place sells the 80% lowers in SoCal and can get you over the hump to being ready to assemble the pistol yourself;

http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-catshow/hmgar15.html

Call them up - nice guys and will explain all to you. Buy a lower have it delivered to your home then show up on one of the weekend build sessions and they will help you use the CNC machine and finish it off. Assistance also given to fit lower parts. Take the finished lower home and build your AR pistol. Easy and fun!