PDA

View Full Version : FNG here

brettboat
08-12-2012, 2:42 PM
Hey y'all, new guy here. I currently live in Georgia and work in the aerospace industry. I may be moving to southern California in the next few months on contract and wanted to know how exactly can I bring some of my guns with me... Do I need a permit to keep firearms at my apartment even as a non resident? If so, how do I obtain one? I'm 19, does California require you to be 21 to posses a handgun? In my state it's only 18.

zod
08-12-2012, 3:36 PM
Welcome aboard.

Boogie Woogie
08-12-2012, 4:11 PM
Welcome! I used to live in GA and might be going to GA State for Grad-School. Gun laws suck in this state compared to Georgia.

You don't need a permit to own a rifle. In the state of California, you CANNOT own any handguns if your are under 21 years of age. Any of your rifles should be fine if and only if they fit within a certain category. Rifles that have features, collapsible stock, etc. need a bullet button. There's more to this, but I don't know all the details of the top of my head.

It is required you obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate before you can own a handgun. Since you are under 21, you cannot obtain or possess a handgun.

I attached a DOJ handbook to help you navigate CA's gun laws.

GladiatorTactical
08-12-2012, 4:12 PM
Welcome to CalGuns

NastyNate
08-12-2012, 4:43 PM
Welcome aboard.

Bill Carson
08-12-2012, 4:44 PM
Welcome to CalGuns

den888
08-12-2012, 5:44 PM
Welcome!

SoCal Bob
08-12-2012, 6:15 PM
Welcome. It kinda depends, are you going to keep your GA DL & car registration or will you be switching to a CA DL & reg? 19 shouldn't be an issue, you can own a handgun at 18 in CA you just can't buy one from an FFL.

Any magazines you own that hold more than 10 rounds must be disassembled before entering the state and cannot be reassembled while in CA.

brettboat
08-12-2012, 6:29 PM
Welcome. It kinda depends, are you going to keep your GA DL & car registration or will you be switching to a CA DL & reg? 19 shouldn't be an issue, you can own a handgun at 18 in CA you just can't buy one from an FFL.

Any magazines you own that hold more than 10 rounds must be disassembled before entering the state and cannot be reassembled while in CA.

Yes, I will be keeping my GA DL and car registration.

brettboat
08-12-2012, 6:49 PM
Welcome! I used to live in GA and might be going to GA State for Grad-School. Gun laws suck in this state compared to Georgia.

You don't need a permit to own a rifle. In the state of California, you CANNOT own any handguns if your are under 21 years of age. Any of your rifles should be fine if and only if they fit within a certain category. Rifles that have features, collapsible stock, etc. need a bullet button. There's more to this, but I don't know all the details of the top of my head.

It is required you obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate before you can own a handgun. Since you are under 21, you cannot obtain or possess a handgun.

And I'm confused, reading this it explicitly says you must take this test (retarded) when buying or taking possession of the firearm. I already own the thing.

And Georgia States campus is in the ghetto man. lol.

Wicked Pete
08-12-2012, 7:37 PM
Welcome. Glad some info was passed your way.

socalpistolero
08-12-2012, 8:03 PM
welcome.

Rider1k
08-12-2012, 8:06 PM
welcome

fighterpilot562
08-12-2012, 8:20 PM
Welcome, any mags that are over 10 rounds, take them apart and do not put them back together till you leave the state.

brettboat
08-12-2012, 8:30 PM
I was going to leave most of my stuff at my family's home here in Georgia anyways. Maybe only bring my .357, an SKS and my 870. Just trying to get a feel for what I may be getting into because i cannot live somewhere and not have a gun. Not much of a point to bring the AKs, HKs, etc if I can't have mags ready to go.

The SKS is legal if the folding bayonet is removed, correct?

Is it true in California that firearms must be kept in a safe or lockbox of some type in the home? I always see on safes, "California approved" and what not. Sorry to ask so many questions but your gunlaws flat out suck, are somewhat confusing and poorly published. lol

SoCal Bob
08-12-2012, 8:57 PM
The bayonet isn't an issue. What could be an issue is if your SKS has a "grenade launcher" screwed onto the barrel like the Yugo 59/66 (I think that is the model). If so, replace it with a muzzle brake and you are good to go.

Some cities might have ordinances about locking up guns at home but I think most of those are gone. CA does have laws about leaving firearms unsecured if you have children in the house/apartment and they injure themselves or others with an unsecured firearm.

brettboat
08-12-2012, 9:00 PM
The bayonet isn't an issue. What could be an issue is if your SKS has a "grenade launcher" screwed onto the barrel like the Yugo 59/66 (I think that is the model). If so, replace it with a muzzle brake and you are good to go.

Some cities might have ordinances about locking up guns at home but I think most of those are gone. CA does have laws about leaving firearms unsecured if you have children in the house/apartment and they injure themselves or others with an unsecured firearm.

That's a strange thing to ban considering how you can't really get the gernades?.....

But I have both a yugo with the grenade launcher and a Chinese Norinco

SoCal Bob
08-12-2012, 9:03 PM
That's a strange thing to ban considering how you can't really get the gernades?.....

But I have both a yugo with the grenade launcher and a Chinese Norinco

Welcome to California gun laws, bring the Chinese, leave the Yugo. ;)

By the way, if you haven't already done so, please read the AW flowchart: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

h0use
08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
welcome

Boogie Woogie
08-12-2012, 11:29 PM
And I'm confused, reading this it explicitly says you must take this test (retarded) when buying or taking possession of the firearm. I already own the thing.

And Georgia States campus is in the ghetto man. lol.

Lol! And isn't Georgia Tech right across the street? If you didn't know, a lot of Universities are in the ghetto. Including my alma mater Fresno State.

DeanW66
08-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Welcome aboard! You have a lot of reading to do. Good to see you got a lot of answers but you'll be better off reading probably in the "General Discussions" area because many of your questions have been asked; most folks don't look into the "new here" area for Qs to A.

JeremyKX
08-13-2012, 12:25 AM

I don't think thats right. You can own a handgun under 21. If a parent buys it, they can intrafamiliar transfer it to you and you send in the change of registration and I think $19 with it?

brettboat
08-13-2012, 4:04 AM
Lol! And isn't Georgia Tech right across the street? If you didn't know, a lot of Universities are in the ghetto. Including my alma mater Fresno State.

Georgia Southern University, Valdosta State University and The University Of Georgia Isn't. GA Tech is for yankees and city slickers.

And I do see that I'm going to have to just read... Alot...

Striper 05
08-13-2012, 8:39 AM
Welcome!

bsg
08-13-2012, 10:27 AM
welcome to the forum.

frankDmole
08-13-2012, 3:57 PM
Welcome to CalGuns.

Sonny188
08-13-2012, 5:20 PM
Welcome!

BlackTydeTactical
08-13-2012, 8:03 PM
Welcome aboard!

.22guy
08-13-2012, 8:24 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

jbe90
08-14-2012, 8:16 PM
Welcome!

SURVIVOR619
08-14-2012, 9:51 PM
Welcome and spend some quality time here on the CGN do your time in CA is also quality and not felonious... Agreed that the PRK's laws are lame and confusing. Respect from San Diego!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk🔫