PDA

View Full Version : S&W 617 for self defense carry around the house?

The Original Godfather
08-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I love .22lr and I love the controlability. I love the cost of it even more.

In comes the 617 into my life. 10 shot wheel gun of. 22lr fun.

I dont want to start another caliber war. But considering this is a revolver, it takes away the reliablity issue with pistols; and 10 shots really makes a difference.

Considering i have other arms in the household for home defense (12ga mainly), would you think itd be a good idea to tote the 617 around the house while doing daily activities?

Dreaded Claymore
08-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I can't think of anything wrong with that. It sounds like a good idea.

However, if you also own a handgun chambered in a larger cartridge that you can shoot acceptably well, carrying that one instead would be an even better idea.

</thread>

ap3572001
08-12-2012, 10:27 AM
It would not be my first choice. BUT. It is MUCH better than not having a gun when You need one.

dem0critus
08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Here's my wheelgun that I keep holstered for around the house. It's pretty nice, not that loud and holds california legal 10 shots of .44nerf.
http://www.ordertoys.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/nerf_n_strike_barricade_RV-10_front.jpeg

But joking aside, those revolvers in .22 are pretty sweet I've heard very good things. Plus great for learning and plinking.

The Original Godfather
08-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Which ammo would you use in a 617 for defense?

I've looked into CCI Mini Mags 40gr 1245fps, but have considered the 40gr 1435fps CCI Velocitors, and have also looked at the 32gr 1640fps CCI Stingers.

What would be better in a self defense situation? Again, I know those velocities are rated from a rifle, but my 617 would be either the 4" or 6" (haven't decided yet).

littlejake
08-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I like the CCI Mini Mags. They're clean and reliable.

For defense, the .22LR relies on two factors -- one it the tendency for the .22 to walk from its spin momentum (similar to how the origial 5.56 M16 was designed.) The other is the ability to put in a lot of hits quickly which is possible with a low recoil gun.

It's just my opinion, that looking for expansion is not a key factor.

No longer made -- but made in the late 1990's -- S&W made a 317, 8 shot alloy 2" snubby with a bodyguard hammer design. They touted it as a defense gun.

tuna quesadilla
08-12-2012, 11:30 AM
If you're worried about controllability, get an old all-steel Model 10 or derivative and load it with soft .38 Specials. .22LR is a bad idea as a defensive round for multiple reasons.

tuna quesadilla
08-12-2012, 11:36 AM
For defense, the .22LR relies on two factors -- one it the tendency for the .22 to walk from its spin momentum (similar to how the origial 5.56 M16 was designed.)

Citations for the red and the blue separately, please.

BLR81
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM

I've looked into CCI Mini Mags 40gr 1245fps, but have considered the 40gr 1435fps CCI Velocitors, and have also looked at the 32gr 1640fps CCI Stingers.

What would be better in a self defense situation? Again, I know those velocities are rated from a rifle, but my 617 would be either the 4" or 6" (haven't decided yet).

The Mini-Mags only have 127 ft lbs at the barrel while the Stingers and Velocitors are around 190. But because the the increase weight of the Velocitors it holds it hitting power out to 20-30 yds better.

If you want to carry a 617 around the house more power to you. The 617 is the heaviest gun I own and even at the range I usually use a 2" duty belt. Not the most comfortable gun for lounging around or working.

The 617 is great for developing a steady hand and improving your shooting skills, but if I were going to carry around the house, I'd get a CCW permit and a nice 9mm compact so I'd be use to having it everywhere I go.

bernieb90
08-12-2012, 12:54 PM
For defense, the .22LR relies on two factors -- one it the tendency for the .22 to walk from its spin momentum (similar to how the origial 5.56 M16 was designed.) The other is the ability to put in a lot of hits quickly which is possible with a low recoil gun.

Same idea very different results. Kind of like saying a VW bug has wheels and an engine in the back so it is the same a Porche 911 Turbo.

kurac
08-12-2012, 1:09 PM
I am sure its better than a sharp stick in the eye

schneiderguy
08-12-2012, 1:16 PM
A .22 is better than nothing. With a .22 that you can shoot well I'd say you're a hell of a lot better off than the guys I see at the range getting two foot "groups" at 10 yards with their manly centerfire calibers :rolleyes:

Food for thought: S&W's first revolver back in the 1850s was a 7 shot single action chambered in .22short.

Travis590A1
08-12-2012, 1:31 PM
IBTGAGCSU
In before the get a glock crowd shows up.

jessegpresley
08-12-2012, 1:54 PM
The .22 is a great target practice round, but not a great self defense round. If you're going to go to the trouble of toting a gun around the house, at least carry a .38 or 9mm. I just don't see the point of carrying a plinking gun as a self defense weapon.

gwanghoops
08-12-2012, 2:17 PM
I wouldn't lug around a 617 6" that weighs 44oz.

The Original Godfather
08-12-2012, 2:45 PM
The .22 is a great target practice round, but not a great self defense round. If you're going to go to the trouble of toting a gun around the house, at least carry a .38 or 9mm. I just don't see the point of carrying a plinking gun as a self defense weapon.

More rounds and I can shoot it better than a .38 and 9mm.

Squidward
08-12-2012, 3:09 PM
If that is your lightest firearm, why not.

On the other hand you'd look bad-*** with a slung 12 gauge while mowing the lawn. :D

The Original Godfather
08-12-2012, 4:47 PM
If that is your lightest firearm, why not.

On the other hand you'd look bad-*** with a slung 12 gauge while mowing the lawn. :D

Dude, I WISH!

Living in the liberal bay area suburbs, I'd have the SWAT team on my drive way before I could even get the motor going on the lawn mower. :o

SilverTauron
08-12-2012, 5:07 PM
There is no such thing as handheld stopping power. For every caliber a handgun is chambered in, there are people who survived being shot by it.

The first criterion of gun selection should be accuracy. If we lived in a world where a magic spell stopped people from carrying guns they couldn't shoot, .45 ACP and .357 magnum sales would plummet like a rock. That .22LR revolver is more than capable of convincing unplanned guests they should seek the exit.

The Right to Bear Arms
08-12-2012, 5:11 PM

looked at the 32gr 1640fps CCI Stingers.

The 32 grain CCI Stiners 1640fps. Just shot a box of em' yesterday out of my wheel gun. It's always fun but the main attraction was the SGL-21 and SKS. haha.

The 617 works in the instance you described. I like it.

However, address the realities of your own situation when making the final decision. Fact is, I live in GREAT neighborhood. So great, we lord it over the surrounding communities and they hate us for it. Can't blame em.

Point is, I really don't want to shoot a Hockey Dad or Soccer Mom by accident. If I do, I definitely don't want them to die. Hence, the 22LR and related offerings.

So why do I bring this up? ... we all live in different places with different circumstances , etc. etc. Some Calgunners might live in the most boring neighborhood in the USA others a SoCal version of a war zone. That's not good or bad for any of us. It just reflects a reality that we have to adapt too.

yeah, I got a couple of decent rifle calibers. If I ever let one fly then I could very easily kill a corporate attorney by accident and wind up in civil court basically having to put his small children through college. haha.

You get the point.

Pick the best gun for the job.

scarville
08-12-2012, 5:41 PM
A 617 would not be my first choice but I'm sure many of the readers here on Calguns would find all kinds of reasons my home carry handgun is no good either. No matter what choice you make, someone will find reasons to denigrate it. That said....

Personally I would stick with one of the 40 gr HV rounds. You didn't mention barrel length but the CCI, Blazer and Federal brands all produce about 1000 fps from my 617 w/4" bbl. I've heard mixed reports on so-called "hyper-velocity" rounds from a handgun. None of the ones I've tried performs very well in my 617.

Ignition reliability may be an issue too. Especially if the gun gets dirty and/or the ammo gets old. Keep the gun clean and rotate your carry ammo out often.

The Original Godfather
08-12-2012, 6:49 PM
Thanks guys! :)

b.thomas
08-12-2012, 9:57 PM
Having two 9mm and one .357 mag, a 617 would be the last thing I'd use for HD.
Actually, I'd use a good old 12 gauge. Going stop a bad guy..... then stop um............don't pizz them off with a rim fire?
:cool2:

orangeusa
08-12-2012, 10:51 PM
If you are paying for CCI stingers, then you aren't saving money wrt 9mm or 38spl and are ignoring the ignition issues with rimfire. I took pretty good notes with a Ruger Single Six (SAA 22LR) and found 1-2% FailureToFire - solid strikes on new ammo, and no ignition.

If your accuracy suffers with larger calibers, then you need shooting lessons - seriously. If all goes bad, you won't be shooting straight even with your 22LR..

Nothing wrong with a revolver and you can get 38spl revolvers used for 1/3 the price of your 617.

Heck you can buy a Ruger P95 for $340 and it'll never fail.

The Original Godfather
08-12-2012, 11:19 PM
I never said I shoot bad with 9mm, I just get better control with the .22lr

Quicker follow up shots that get better groupings.

True, practice/lessons can help improve my 9mm/45acp rapid follow up shots, but that takes time, and I am practicing. So, why not use something that I can effectively get multiple rounds on target quickly while I learn to do the same with a larger caliber? I'm not going to carry nothing while I'm practicing. What do you want me to do, use a larger caliber that I can only get one, maybe two shots on target? :confused: And that's not even factoring in adrenaline/stress.

orangeusa
08-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Justa trying to help.

1. 22LR is not as reliable as centerfire, not even close. So your follow up shot may be your first (or a dud).
2. Price point - if using CCI ammo is roughly same as 38spl or 9mm.
3. Lessons (at several ranges and at two Tactical Pistol courses) helped me a lot - independent of caliber. I shoot 22LR same as I shoot 9mm. (Have a 22LR slide for one of my 9mm guns). And have shot my 686 (using 38 spl) better than any gun I own, but not fast....

I dunno, whatever works for you.

bernieb90
08-13-2012, 6:00 PM
Citations for the red and the blue separately, please.

.22LR bullets will yaw at some point in the wound track, but so do most round nosed, and spitzer shaped projectiles. This is not really a matter of being designed to yaw, it is simply the physics of an unstable rear-heavy projectile passing through a media.

hUOGNq_iF2A

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Wound%20Profiles/22LR%2040gr%20RNL.jpg

In both cases the bullet yaws at some point in the wound track, however due to the low velocity there is no fragmentation.

5.56 also yaws within the wound track however due to the much higher velocity the bullet fragments.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Wound%20Profiles/M193.jpg

edgalang
08-13-2012, 8:24 PM
A 617 for HD?! Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 617, but IMO it's more for range use and/or small game hunting.

Caliber wars aside and assuming we HAVE to stick with .22lr for arguments sake...my vote would go for the lightest/smallest semi auto that'll hold 10 rounds with a rail (for a flashlight or laser).

So with those requirements, I vote Ruger SR22PB.

Unlike a 617, the SR22PB...

+might fit in your pocket.
+wont drag your pants down.
+you can reload faster (since your argument for choosing a .22 is for shooting faster followup shots, we might as well consider the argument of shooting more overall right?)
+you can attach accessories (flashlight for night or a laser for shooting from the hip at day)

optimus-primer
08-14-2012, 9:45 AM
As others have said, due to the size of the revolver it would be my first choice if I were out purchasing a 22 hand gun.
If its all you have then it's better than nothing and could be better than larger caliber If your more confident with the gun.

Heck, there a lot of articles written about 22lr used as sniper rifles and assassins weapons of choice. Search out the Berretta Tomcat for example.