PDA

View Full Version : Pro Load 9mm questions

Ibefuz
08-12-2012, 8:42 AM
About a year ago, a sheriff deputy friend of my father gave him gave him about 1k of 124gr Pro Load jhp's that he used in his duty SW 5906, he bumped up to a .40 and had no use for it anymore.

My father gave me the ammo because he doesn't have a 9mm. I've run 800+ rounds through my 92fs and the stuff works great. And I've kept the last 200 for my HD rounds. The boxes look kind of dated, and I haven't seen any stores or websites that sell the Pro Load brand and I would like to get more if the price is right. My questions are:

Are they still in business?

Are they a good choice for HD?

Anyone else have experience with it and care to share?

Thanks in advance!

Don the savage
08-12-2012, 9:19 AM
Pro load was around in the late 80s early 90s, i imagine the boxes you have are black and red? Good ammo, im still reloading some 44 mag brass from them ive had for 20 years. Im not surr where they were based but it was definitely so cal and i believe the san gabriel valley. I met the owner once at carls gun shop in monrovia if anyone remembers that place. Im pretty sure they went under, like a lot of sgv gun shops/ ranges during the dark times- the clinton era.

jyo
08-12-2012, 1:44 PM
Proload used to package their stuff over in Burbank before the owner moved on to a "Free" state. They used to supply many local gun stores with good high-quality ammo, I delt with the fellow (can't remember his name - nice guy) as I was managing gun stores here in L.A. at the time (80s to mid 90s). Never had a problem with his products. I remember when the whole "heavy-bullet" (300 grain +) 44 Mag thing started---we could only reload these hunting rounds at the time---I suggested he could come up with some factory heavies---a couple of weeks later he came by the shop and gave me a box of his 300 grain JSP to try but I had stopped handgun hunting and still have the full box somewhere. Oh, and I don't consider his ammo "reloads" as it was made with all new brass, bullets etc---I consider it new ammo. Yes, red and black boxes.

Ibefuz
08-12-2012, 2:20 PM
The boxes I have are white with red writing. Don't know if that means anything

steve92407
08-12-2012, 2:41 PM
In the 80s and 90s Pro load manufactured .45 loaded hot #231 powder loved those rounds in 1911s .white boxes red and blue lettering.

voiceofreason
08-12-2012, 2:43 PM
Proload is quality ammo. It was pricey.

I still have some of it. Would put it through my guns with NO reservations. I only shoot quality factory ammo or handloads from people that I personally know.