PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the 10/22

secret.asian.man
08-12-2012, 7:12 AM
does anyone drill a hole in the back of the receiver to be able to use a solid cleaning rod? or is a bore snake the only option?

i don't want to remove the barrel from the receiver.

thanks!

hogbody74
08-12-2012, 7:25 AM
Brownells sells a jig to drill the hole in the back of the receiver. hogbody74

desertjosh
08-12-2012, 7:40 AM
Buy a boresnake? Makes cleaning so much easier!

secret.asian.man
08-12-2012, 7:48 AM
Brownells sells a jig to drill the hole in the back of the receiver. hogbody74

ha! not for $50+shipping. i'd rather buy a boresnake or drill a little bigger than enough hole with the tools i already have. thanks though.

secret.asian.man
08-12-2012, 7:49 AM
Buy a boresnake? Makes cleaning so much easier!

yeah, i've never owned or tried a bore snake, i've got to try it out sometime. is it one universal size and length? or do i need to buy a variety of bore snakes?

SupportGeek
08-12-2012, 7:55 AM
yeah, i've never owned or tried a bore snake, i've got to try it out sometime. is it one universal size and length? or do i need to buy a variety of bore snakes?

Just like brushes, you buy the one for your caliber

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

secret.asian.man
08-12-2012, 7:57 AM
Just like brushes, you buy the one for your caliber

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

so i would have to buy 5 bore snakes?

M1Kev
08-12-2012, 8:28 AM
depends on the calibers, but maybe. I have four; .45, .22, .30, .8mm. Good for a quick cleaning of the bore and barrel without doing a detail strip of the firearm.

secret.asian.man
08-12-2012, 8:35 AM
depends on the calibers, but maybe. I have four; .45, .22, .30, .8mm. Good for a quick cleaning of the bore and barrel without doing a detail strip of the firearm.

cool thanks everyone!

sholling
08-12-2012, 8:48 AM
I don't care for bore snakes so I just use a Dewey bore guide and a top quality Tipton carbon fiber rod with short pistol sized brushes.

P5Ret
08-12-2012, 9:15 AM
Mostly I use a bore snake for general cleaning. About every 6 months depending up how much I have shot it, I take the barrel off it's only two screw's. That also allows me to clean the carbon build up off the chamber face easily.

Mail Clerk
08-12-2012, 9:25 AM
I use a brass rod designed for a 17HMR round and use two wet patches instead of one depending on the brand.

Mail Clerk

JNunez23
08-12-2012, 9:37 AM
I think someone might have asked this question on the past here, but I don't remember what the result was.. but bore snake and some hoppes #9 has been enough for my 10/22.

hk91666
08-12-2012, 9:54 AM
Three screw together brass or aluminum rods has worked for me for 30 years.

secret.asian.man
08-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Mostly I use a bore snake for general cleaning. About every 6 months depending up how much I have shot it, I take the barrel off it's only two screw's. That also allows me to clean the carbon build up off the chamber face easily.

i understand the barrel is easy to remove and it is only two screws but i dont want to remove the barrel and take my scope out of alignment.

polo.45
08-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Hoppes boresnake .22 And cleans .223 for $15. That's all you need ... I use two one for the solvent and the other one for oil... Save you money and time ...

polo.45
08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
i understand the barrel is easy to remove and it is only two screws but i dont want to remove the barrel and take my scope out of alignment.

You have to zero it every trip to the range... I transport mine in a case but the road it's so bumpy that I have to zero my rifles again... But it takes 5 mins ...

kevinliuser
08-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah, you would need to buy a boresnake for the different calibers. I've switched to using the boresnake for the 10/22 and it works well AND saves me a ton of time.

BLR81
08-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Sinclair sells the Dewey 10/22 muzzle guide for the standard barrel and the bull barrel for $10.95.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=5646/k=/t=P/Products/Muzzle-Guides

The bore snake is fine for a quick clean out, but even if you pour Hoppies on it, it doesn't get all the lead and copper out. And, I don't think it does that good of a job on the chamber.

I like to soak the chamber and bore and then run a nylon brush thru at least every 500 rounds which sometimes in only one day at the range. I carry the snake in my range bag for a quick cleanout, but do the real cleaning and oiling at home with the muzzle guide and a carbon cleaning rod.

Fjold
08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I just use some 100 Lb test monofilament fishing line. I sharpen one end of a 3' long piece and melt the other end into small (1/8") blob. I just push the sharp end through solvent soaked patches and pull them through the bore until it's clean. Then I follow it up with dry patches and put it away (SS barrel)

Scratch705
08-12-2012, 12:48 PM
i just clean from the muzzle end using a carbon fiber rod, and a small cut straw to prevent any crown damage from the rod rubbing into it.

no differences in how the gun shots yet after 20 or so cleanings and a few thousand rounds.

tuna quesadilla
08-12-2012, 2:30 PM
You have to zero it every trip to the range... I transport mine in a case but the road it's so bumpy that I have to zero my rifles again... But it takes 5 mins ...

If a mere car ride knocks your scope out of zero, then you need to ditch that scope.

Also +1 to removing the barrel for a detail clean. It's the easiest way to really access the bore without risking damage to your crown or having to use a boresnake. Once you do it a few times zeroing becomes part of the fun of shooting and will help you learn your sights.

IdahoF350
08-12-2012, 2:38 PM
I just use some 100 Lb test monofilament fishing line. I sharpen one end of a 3' long piece and melt the other end into small (1/8") blob. I just push the sharp end through solvent soaked patches and pull them through the bore until it's clean. Then I follow it up with dry patches and put it away (SS barrel)

0.120" nylon trimmer line should work well too.

chrometip78
08-12-2012, 2:59 PM
I like the Otis cleaning kit, like a bore snake for every caliber.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Mail Clerk
08-13-2012, 5:35 AM

secret.asian.man,

How often do you clean your barrel/bore? Remember 22's don't need cleaning all the time! I only do mine twice per year and in most cases just solvent and a wet patch is all you need following a dry patch.

At your disposal you have many options at your feet. If you don't want to re-zero your scope or remove the barrel then I suggest you consider one of the suggested way to get the barrel clean. If none is to your preference try out a "patchworm" or use my method and just go slowly.

Mail Clerk

bob7122
08-13-2012, 5:50 AM
i just push the cleaning rod from the muzzle/crown to the chamber. i don't know if you want to do that but i have not had any accuracy problems.

tanakasan
08-13-2012, 8:29 AM
+1 for the bore snake!

As mentioned, a .22 does/should not be cleaned every trip out unless you are shooting bricks every outing. Clean when the accuracy falls off.

As to the receiver hole, if you decide to go that route, drop a cleaning rod thru the barrel and take an approximate measurement at the rear of the receiver. Drill a 1/4" hole there for breech end access w/o removing the barrel and losing your zero. Go slow and don't bugger the receiver!

Robert