View Full Version : Meanwhile, at Taurus...

08-12-2012, 1:06 AM
Could not believe my eyes. Took my brand new Rossi shotgun (clearly made by taurus) out to the range today... to figure out that it doesn't shoot.

It actually does shoot between 1 and 3 out of 10 tries. Only ejects about 4 out of 5 shells it does fire.

This shotgun is brand new, just picked it up not even two weeks ago from Big 5. What the heck do I do now?

It's not the ammo - 5 different types of ammo put through it, different brands. Same results with all of them.

It's not the firing pin protrusion - it definitely sticks out.

The firing pin does hit low/right... I've never seen anything like this in my life before. This is lame!

Ryan in SD
08-12-2012, 2:31 AM
What kind of ammo. I beleive theres a batch of winchester that has a slightly large out of spec base that also stick in my friends 870.

08-12-2012, 7:25 AM
That looks like I could be a light primer strike to me..

08-12-2012, 8:49 AM
What I would do is give the gun a little ride right back to Big 5.

08-12-2012, 3:15 PM
+1 for the light primer strike. Should have a nice dimple in the center. Like this
(Don't mind the fact that its a rifle round a good primer strike is a good primer strike lol)
I'd take that bad boy back to big 5. Hopefully they won't tell you to call the manufacturer

08-12-2012, 5:55 PM
Yep, light primer strike. Return gun, exchange, and don't take no for an answer. Do not pay for another DROS.

08-12-2012, 5:58 PM
I had that prob with my circuit judge, all i did was shoot it for 50+ rounds and broke it in. Now it strikes everytime. I also called rossi for a new spring and pin which they sent just in case free of charge

08-12-2012, 8:36 PM
Clearly a light primer strike. If this is the Rossi with the exposed hammer that's a little troubling, but another indication of why I chose to not buy anything Taurus.

Looking at the schematic below the firing pin seems to be at a pretty extreme angle to the breech face, and there is a transfer bar. If that transfer bar doesn't get all the way into position that could be one explanation for the light strike.

A couple of questions....

* Did you clean the gun at all before your first range trip?
* Failure to eject... so the ejector doesn't trip when you opened it all the way on those couple of instances? Or you didn't get the gun open all the way. I ask because often a new gun that isn't well worked in yet will be stiff and you'll need to break it open like you mean it for the ejector to positively trip.

If it's my gun, I'd give it a good detailed cleaning and shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it before I start thinking of sending it back based on what you've experienced so far.