PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Single Shot Shotguns

ChopperX
08-12-2012, 12:38 AM
So I have recently found myself looking at single shot shotguns for the fun aspect of shooting. My friend has a really old .410 bore that was really fun to shoot. I think it was an older Springfield or Winchester but I don't recall since its been months.

So anyways. I was looking at the H&R Pardner in either 12 or 20 gauge. I love the prices on these shotguns which is another reason why I would want one. So what is your opinion on this shotgun. Also feel free to mention some other single shots too.

So I was just curious in regards to 20 gauge vs 12 gauge. I have shot 12 gauge pumps and semi's before and don't mind that recoil that much but I hear stories that the single shot shotguns have more of a kick due to them being light weight. So what is your recommendation on gauge choice? Also if I do go with a 20 gauge, are the shells cheaper to shoot. I also like shooting cheap shells especially target loads.

Keep in mind I wont be hunting. This is more for fun for me since the prices of these things is just sweet. Also this would be my first shotgun to own.

Thanks guys!

.300 Weatherby Mag
08-12-2012, 12:49 AM
The H&R and similar guns are great if you want a fun gun on the cheap.. But that's it... What I hate about them is that they are used to train the uninitiated, and that a problem because whether its a woman being introduced to shooting or a younger person both of them are subject to the excessive recoil that they produce... Both the 20 and 12 will kick...

I would buy a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 as either would give you far more flexibility if you decide that you enjoy shotguns...

chillincody
08-12-2012, 1:41 AM
I have a old winchester single shot 12 gauge and man is it fun as hell it most def. does kick more than my buddies mossberg and nova semis .but its so fun for me the H+r is a good shotgun also check out the bakai mp18 single shot I got my mom a .410 model for a lil over $100 OTD from big 5 for Xmas they also make a 12 model and far as price of ammo I think 12 gauge is the cheapest a box of 100 shells for 20$ at wally world :D my moms .410 is $15 for 25 shells and if I re call 20 was 10$ for 25 rounds its been a long time tho since ive bought any of that gauge

Donkeypunch0420
08-12-2012, 1:44 AM
I had a Pardner 12ga with the 28" bbl. Was a fine shotgun for the price. I bought it so I could try out some other shooting sports (trap/skeet/hunting) but never really got around to it. I would stick with an H&R instead of the cheaper Rossi's and EAA's etc. Once I got my 870 with an 18" and a 28" bbl, the Pardner never got any range time anymore. Here is some fair warning.......these things weigh around 5lbs or less and they kick like two mules! Try it by itself first, but you'll probably be wanting to get a sissy pad for this one before long.

Bartin
08-12-2012, 1:52 AM
I've got an H&R and a winchester 37, both in 12ga. I like the old school looks and feel of them. They swing nicely but they definitely have major kick. In my opinion, a pump shotgun is a must for anyone where a single shot is just for cheap fun and a different kick

ChopperX
08-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Well I am eventually going to get an 870 pump but I thought this would be fun to have as a second shotgun. I love the classic look of it too an the price is great.

mikajo39
08-12-2012, 4:04 PM
H&R makes a good single shot shotgun. They're cheap, fun, and if you do damage it its not a huge loss. But as some of the others have said they kick like nobodies business. Even light trap loads out of a single shot HR can get tiring. Work your way up to buckshot and some of the magnum loads and its just plain uncomfortable.

mikajo39
08-12-2012, 4:06 PM
Well I am eventually going to get an 870 pump but I thought this would be fun to have as a second shotgun. I love the classic look of it too an the price is great.

They're also nice to have in the safe if you and your buddies go shooting and don't want to lend out your 870, the more guns the merrier! :cool2:

victor1echo
08-12-2012, 4:11 PM
They are great for hunting, especially for me. Keeps me on one bird.

CSACANNONEER
08-12-2012, 4:11 PM
They're also nice to have in the safe if you and your buddies go shooting and don't want to lend out your 870, the more guns the merrier! :cool2:

Why would anyone not wa.t to loan out an 870? They are relatively inexpensive and very durable guns. They are perfect loaner guns.

mikajo39
08-12-2012, 4:19 PM
Why would anyone not wa.t to loan out an 870? They are relatively inexpensive and very durable guns. They are perfect loaner guns.

Inexpensive can have different definitions. As a college student I know I couldn't just strut out to buy a new shotgun if anything happened to mine. Also it just depends on the amount of trust between friends. I trust my best friends with my firearms but if someone brings a newcomer I'm not gonna hand him/her my pride and joy right off the bat.

ChopperX
08-12-2012, 4:53 PM
If anything Ill use the Single Shot for Skeet due to the longer barrel since I want to get an 870 Express Tactical. Yea I have a tactical side too haha.

Ribkick
08-12-2012, 7:11 PM
Loner guns are those that you don't care what happens to them. The inexpensive single shots are great for loaners. I would never loan an 870 wingmaster or express to just anyone. That's just stupid.

mcmikeblues7
08-12-2012, 8:09 PM
If anything Ill use the Single Shot for Skeet due to the longer barrel since I want to get an 870 Express Tactical. Yea I have a tactical side too haha.

You should consider just getting a 26-30" barrel for your 870 instead of a whole other gun.

mikajo39
08-12-2012, 8:22 PM
Loner guns are those that you don't care what happens to them. The inexpensive single shots are great for loaners. I would never loan an 870 wingmaster or express to just anyone. That's just stupid.

Glad someone else agrees :D

BigDogatPlay
08-12-2012, 9:23 PM
FWIW, if you are looking for an inexpensive single shot that is correctly proportioned for an adult and makes a good casual trap or hunting gun, look at the Baikal IZH 18. These can be found in wood or synthetic furniture and in 12, 20 and .410. They are durable as a bank vault and simple, being Russian made. We have several of them that we use as loaners at the club and they do very well on the trap field. Big 5 puts them on sale from time to time, but they are generally <$150 where ever you find them.

The problem I have with the Topper is that most of the ones I find tend to be the compact models which aren't well suited to clays The full sized Toppers are hard to find and the couple I've tried didn't shoot that well for me.

Specialized single shots for trap start at around $1500 and go up sharply from there.

Zartan
08-13-2012, 5:40 AM
I'm interested in the same for skeet. I saw this in the Big5 ad this weekend
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x342/MikesCG/Jason%20Keoni/IMAG1200.jpg

CSACANNONEER
08-13-2012, 4:37 PM

Exactly. I won't loan any gun to someone I don't trust with it. But, I'd loan an 870 to anyone I'd trust with a cheaper single shot.

nickel plate
08-13-2012, 5:30 PM
My single shot is an old Iver Johnson Champion 32 gauge 26" barrel.