PDA

View Full Version : Slide Won't Stay Back ???

icenix
08-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I have a Springfield XD9 that I bought back in November and since then I have put a couple hundred rounds through it.

Problem is, after the last shot, the slide isn't locking back all of the time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. This only started happening the during the last two range trips.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, how to fix it, or any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

BoJackUSMC
08-11-2012, 11:24 PM
You can always call SA customer service and they will take care of you. SA firearms have life time warranty.

sspen003
08-11-2012, 11:25 PM
My guess is that your riding the slide release

icenix
08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
My guess is that your riding the slide release

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean? I don't think I am doing anything different from what I have always done.

sspen003
08-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean? I don't think I am doing anything different from what I have always done.

Your most likely holding a very high grip on the weapon and you are unknowingly putting pressure on the slide release, thus keeping it from locking back the slide.

9mmrevolver
08-11-2012, 11:35 PM

Make a video while shooting next time. I used pop my safety on my 1911 while shooting. My thumbs curl upwards.

ramathorn
08-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I have a high grip and that happens to me sometimes also. I swapped out my std slide release for an extended one and thats when the problem started. Damn thumbs.

icenix
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Your most likely holding a very high grip on the weapon and you are unknowingly putting pressure on the slide release, thus keeping it from locking back the slide.

It's possible, but my slide release is super tight and I have to put a lot of pressure on it to begin with just to release it, probably just because it isn't broken in enough yet.

I will take a look at adjusting my grip to see if it makes a difference.

Come to think of it though, my friend shot it as well and it didn't always stay back for him either. Still, I will take a look.

Anyone else have any ideas?

sspen003
08-11-2012, 11:45 PM
It's possible, but my slide release is super tight and I have to put a lot of pressure on it to begin with just to release it, probably just because it isn't broken in enough yet.

Come to think of it though, my friend shot it as well and it didn't always stay back for him either. Still, I will take a look.

Factory Mags?

XDJYo
08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Are you left handed or right handed?

In any case, get in touch with Springfield, they will make it right. Their customer service is legendary!

icenix
08-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Factory Mags?

Yeah, all of them are.

Are you left handed or right handed?

In any case, get in touch with Springfield, they will make it right. Their customer service is legendary!

Right handed. Yeah, I know they are great, I just thought I would get some input first before I call them up.

zfields
08-11-2012, 11:56 PM
More then likely its you. Have other people shoot it, and be aware of the locations of your hands.

Sorry this thread comes up every other week... 99.99999% of the time its operator error.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

wizdumb
08-11-2012, 11:57 PM
If you're using the "Magpul Dynamics grip", then you're almost certainly putting pressure on the slide lock/release lever and inadvertently preventing it from operating (popping up to lock the slide) after the last round is fired. It takes very little pressure to make this happen, and it happens to me on all of my handguns except for the S&W M&P-45, which has it's slide lock/release lever positioned much further forward and out of the way of your thumbs.

You can confirm that the firearm is operating properly at home. Empty all of your mags, insert one at a time, rack the slide back and release while keeping your thumbs far away from the slide lock/release lever. If the slide locks back, the lever/mag/firearm is operating properly and it's just your thumb/grip.

Digerati47
08-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I have an XD9 tac and this happened to me too- I was riding the slide release. I'm right handed and I could swear I wasn't touching it. When my friend shot it, and he's a lefty, he had no problems. You may not know you're doing it. Try exaggerating your hold so there is no possible way your thumb is anywhere near the release. Try shooting left handed- it's good practice anyway. :)

When the slide is locked back, the release is rather stiff due to the tension on it. But it just takes a slight touch for it to keep it from moving that couple of mm up to lock the slide back.

Good luck!

Arkangel
08-12-2012, 12:05 AM
This happened to me with the wifey's XD9. Try shooting one handed, this will show you if its you or the gun (probably you). My thumbs forward grip doesn't seem to agree with the XD's.

jyo
08-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Another reason I personally don't favor the high thumbs or thumbs forward grip---it seems to me that the superiority of an opposing thumb is to use it to lock down for a firmer, more consistent grip. Also don't try shooting a gun with real recoil (like say a 454 Casull) using the high thumbs grip---the lack of proper grip will find the revolver trying to fly back into your face.

P5Ret
08-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Clean it real good. I've seen it happen with a couple different guns. Shooting some inexpensive ammo you can get some build up under or behind the release, that prevents it from traveling freely. It should not be stiff or tight if you manually move it up after unloading. Is the release tight moving up as well as releasing the slide? Some tension when it is locked open and you release it is normal, and will not change much, with wear.

Gryff
08-12-2012, 12:25 AM

I'll bet you it's your thumb touching the slide stop lever. You'll see that this not an uncommon issue with the XD. Just learn to keep your thumb away from the lever.

(It happened to me when I moved to a thumbs-forward competition grip. I just simply trained myself to keep my left-hand thumb away from the lever)

Another reason I personally don't favor the high thumbs or thumbs forward grip---it seems to me that the superiority of an opposing thumb is to use it to lock down for a firmer, more consistent grip. Also don't try shooting a gun with real recoil (like say a 454 Casull) using the high thumbs grip---the lack of proper grip will find the revolver trying to fly back into your face.

The point of the thumbs-forward is to help control recoil and drive the muzzle back to the natural POA during rapid fire. You wouldn't do it with a boomer revolver because A) you ain't double-tapping with it, and B) the gasses venting out the cylinder gap on a .454 Casull can do all sorts of bad things to your forward thumb.

Old4eyes
08-12-2012, 12:27 AM

There is a difference of strength involved between holding the slide lock down while the slide is cycling as opposed to trying to release the lock when it is engaged in the slide. With your thumb holding down on the slide lock, put an empty magazine in and rack the slide. It won't lock back and you'll see that it does not take a lot of effort to hold the slide lock down.

When switching from shooting a 1911 where I have my thumb riding the safety and going to an XD - I will often inadvertently keep the slide lock from engaging. I have 4 XD's, happens on all of them.

9mmepiphany
08-12-2012, 9:51 AM
Another reason I personally don't favor the high thumbs or thumbs forward grip---it seems to me that the superiority of an opposing thumb is to use it to lock down for a firmer, more consistent grip.
You think that because you don't understand the pressure vectors of a correct grip.

A number of negative things occur when you lock down your thumb which affect your ability to shoot accurately...ranging from alignment to trigger press. The only time locking down your thumb would give you a firmer grip is if you could encircle the grip of the gun with it

CK_32
08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Try a new magazine

vintagearms
08-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Shoot it with your non dominant hand and see if it still happens. That will rule out the slide lock.

mc21
08-12-2012, 11:20 AM
When I got my sig, it didn't lock back regularly till around 500 rounds or so. I also had to store my gun with the slide locked back. If you're not riding the slide stop/release, then it may just need some break in.

dem0critus
08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Ya when I shot an XD the same thing happened to me. Just because it's hard to release it when the slide is locked back doesn't mean that its not easy to keep it from coming up when it's not under the pressure of the slide/recoil spring. Just load 1 round into the mag and loosen your grip, making sure to keep clear of that thing. If it locks you know its you. If not send it in.

railroader
08-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I would also suggest cleaning your mags. Make sure they aren't getting gunked up where the followers don't come all the way up.

secret.asian.man
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
what kind of ammo are you using? are you reloading?

http://i45.tinypic.com/f6y2p.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/24mc093.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/33xzg61.jpg

icenix
08-12-2012, 7:47 PM
Thanks everyone. My mags are all factory, they aren't that old, and it happened with different mags, so I don't think that is the problem.

Two range trips ago when it first happened it was a clean gun, and I didn't clean it after that trip or the last one. So, I will clean it, and then shooting some more.

It just seems weird that it had never happened before, but since so many of you are suggesting that I may be hitting the slide release then it is definitely something I need to look at, and to be honest, that may very well be the reason and I am just not aware of it.

I won't be able to get to the range for a while, but next time I go I will try some different grips.

Thanks again!!