PDA

View Full Version : MPA .45 pistol questions

davidb
08-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I see the MPA .45 pistol is on sale at Turners on their fall flyer. Ive read online that they are supposed to be pretty well built and overall reliable and im pretty interested in it.

They also have a "rifle" version which looks a little goofy.

My main question is that the rifle says semi auto in the ad and the pistol version says single shot...has the pistol version had any mechanical changes to make it single shot? If so is it illegal to un-do the changes and revert it back to semi-auto? Is there anything changed with magazine release like what is required on some rifles in order to be CA legal?

Also if anyone has one how do you like it as far as function, reliability, durability, amount of fun to shoot ect.?

Thanks for any advice and info in advance,
David

RolinThundr
08-11-2012, 11:16 PM
IIRC, the MPA pistols must be sold as a single-shot exemption, so the mag is a 1-shot, bb design at the time of purchase. Once you take possession of the gun you may convert it back to it's semi-auto, 10-rnd nature and you should be able to put a standard mag release on it as well. Just be careful that you do not do anything that would turn it into an AW. Take time to be VERY familiar with the Assault Weapon laws before you do any modifications.

davidb
08-11-2012, 11:25 PM
IIRC, the MPA pistols must be sold as a single-shot exemption, so the mag is a 1-shot, bb design at the time of purchase. Once you take possession of the gun you may convert it back to it's semi-auto, 10-rnd nature and you should be able to put a standard mag release on it as well. Just be careful that you do not do anything that would turn it into an AW. Take time to be VERY familiar with the Assault Weapon laws before you do any modifications.

If i do end up getting one the only thing i would want out of it is semi auto and 10 shot magazine. (can't really expect to do anything beyond that in cali anyway lol)

Do you know if the removal of the mag release button or whatever they use is illegal? Is the mag release restriction for sure needed in the whole DROS? It usually says something like "fixed magazine" or something of that nature for that type of thing on turners site and it doesnt mention anything like that in the ad.

macman9
08-12-2012, 5:21 AM
Have a mpa mini 9. When you buy it will have a fixed mag. After the 10 wait and you pick it up you can unfix the mag and it will like any other pistol. It is just fixed to make a single shot pistol. When I bought mine from prk firearms in fresno it just had a wood block in the mag well held in place with a longer screw that holds the grip on. I don't know how other shops single shot them but can't be to different.