PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, need a shotgun recommendation.

Quickdraw559
08-11-2012, 5:23 PM
Whether you love to, or hate to, I'm going to ask you guys to recommend me a shotgun.

I've done quite a bit of research, lurked in the private sales, jumped on the manufacturers websites, and I've ended up here, asking for the opinions, suggestions, and experiences of those here, on calguns.

I'm going to be looking for an all around shotgun. Home defense #1, hunting #2. I live in the Central Valley and won't be travelling much for hunting, so my basic hunts will be pheasant, quail, and various other small game. In the home defense aspect, I will either be going with bird or buckshot, so I think my usage of slugs will be fairly limited, but not non-existant. Originally, I was looking for a pump action due to it's reliability, which is paramount in my search, but, lately I've been reading about quite a few high quality semi-autos.

My first choices were a Remington 870, possibly with police internals, or a police model in general, or a Mossberg 500/590, which are all pump action. While I know that a pump can be nearly as quick as a semi auto in the right hands, I was thinking a semi-auto would be best until I reach the level of shooting capability I'm aiming for.

So, opinions/insight on the pump vs semi auto, "argument?"

And most importantly, info on the new pump/semi auto shotguns on the market? I've heard that many guns currently have much more, "polymer," than previous years, and I'm not knocking polymer (It's actually the most important factor in my current and previous job), but I think that metal and wood are how a gun should be. Any suggestions on some shotguns, both pump and semi auto, that are reliable, and affordable? I'd love to dump a grand on a shotgun, but I think $3-600 is about my cap. Again, reliablity is paramount, with it's applications being primarily home defense and hunting. I want something that will never jam, never fail to fire, and always be worth what I spent.
Pending I don't ride it hard and put it up wet, of course.

Thanks for the help, guys. All info will be passed around by myself at any given opportunity.

mcmikeblues7
08-11-2012, 6:10 PM
I would get one of those Remington shotguns that come with multiple barrels off the rack.

I would try out some different barrel lengths for your hunting shotgun. Me personally, I wouldn't even consider anything less than 26" and I prefer a 28" barrel. For home defense, Shorter is nice but not absolutely neccasary.

6789olds
08-11-2012, 6:12 PM
I got the mossberg 500 combo and I love it I would like to get a 930 spx. Tho

bombadillo
08-11-2012, 6:28 PM
I'd go with an 870 wingmaster and buy a shorter barrel for your HD needs. That way you can get a nice shotgun that does well with hunting, but a short barrel and easy to swap out that will work for all your HD needs.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMAG0295.jpg

My 870 express with wingmaster furniture on it. Also an extended mag tube that goes out about an inch past the barrel. I can swap it for a 28" barrel too to make it more of a hunting setup if my berreta AL391 can't handle something :D

Thefeeder
08-11-2012, 6:36 PM
Try shooting differant gun if you can.

Read the following link

Practice on some clays when you can.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953

MrOrange
08-11-2012, 6:57 PM
I'd recommend an auto, and here's why:

Unless you plan on doing a lot of drills and practical shooting, it's very easy under stress to short-stroke or just plain forget to work the action at all on a pump. People do it all the time on the range during matches, let alone at home with life on the line. No less an old fuddy-duddy than Col. Cooper himself noted that auto shotguns tend to be more reliable than pumps, given adequate maintenance, for that very reason.

For a sci-fi PAD scenario (Post Apocalyptic Doom) I'd rather have a pump, but for average HD and occasional hunting use I'd buy an auto myself if I was just starting out.

Seems like the various Turkish and Russian guns have come a long way in the last ten years or so, but I'd go with a Mossberg 930, for easy barrel interchange if nothing else. The cheapest plain-Jane version should do you fine. Although the racier versions would do you better on a 3-Gun course, I seriously doubt you'd need more than 5-6 rounds of 12 ga. to settle any home invasion problems.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 7:05 PM
IMO doesnt look like you searched very hard all of these questions come up at least once a month..

But I'll go with it. Just get a 500 or 870 and be done.. Will suite all your needs and you don't need a semi if anything start with a pump and move to a semi if you must switch.

aristeia
08-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Both the 870 and 500 are available in long/short barrel combos. Great place to start for your first shotgun.

I usually recommend a pump for home defense for the following reasons:
1. The sound, you might not want to actually shoot a gun inside your residence, the sound is a good deterrence
2. Ease of use, if you are not the only person in the house that might use the gun, some semi-autos are a bit trickier to rack. All pumps follow a basic operating procedure
3. Price! You can find a short/long pump combo for less than a special purpose semi

aristeia
08-12-2012, 12:53 AM
FYI right now at Big 5 you can get a base Mossberg 500 combo (28"/18.5") for $300. Not a bad price for something that fits what you want to do with it.

....only if I didn't like how the 870s feel better :banghead:

bsg
08-12-2012, 7:02 AM
the deals are out there right now, and you can even come up with a good HD shotgun for less than $1,500.00 if ya hurry.

Bartin
08-12-2012, 7:16 AM
the deals are out there right now, and you can even come up with a good HD shotgun for less than $1,500.00 if ya hurry.
hah, $1500? what?

CK_32
08-12-2012, 7:18 AM
1. The sound, you might not want to actually shoot a gun inside your residence, the sound is a good deterrence

No.. That's like telling someone to stop their feet when they get out of bed to sound bigger than they are to scare someone out of the house.. It doesn't work.

Besides you feeling like a bad a** doing it and about 5 min from gettin your face bashed in because you just gave away any possible surprise advantage of them not knowing your arms they are now on alert and know where your coming from. Trust me if they broke in and your home they are ready to f**k your **** up.

Ziggy91
08-12-2012, 8:00 AM
+1 for combo pack with HD and Trap/Skeet/whatever barrel. I should have bought that in the beginning so I could have more fun with trap, but really just wanted an HD shotgun.

-hanko
08-12-2012, 8:46 AM
Both the 870 and 500 are available in long/short barrel combos. Great place to start for your first shotgun.

I usually recommend a pump for home defense for the following reasons:
:confused: Hard to believe I'm seeing that.

Take a course in self defense using a shotgun before posting.;)

I'm hidden in your house, watching you, and I have a gun...I'd imagine you'd be dedd before you could move the bolt forward into battery. In other words, you're promoting the use of an sd gun without a shell in the chamber.:sleeping:

Since this is calguns.net, either the Remington or Mossberg above are workable choices, but there are far better weapons around if cheap is not your first criteria.

hth

-hanko

choprzrul
08-12-2012, 8:56 AM
I'd recommend an auto, and here's why:

Unless you plan on doing a lot of drills and practical shooting, it's very easy under stress to short-stroke or just plain forget to work the action at all on a pump. People do it all the time on the range during matches, let alone at home with life on the line. No less an old fuddy-duddy than Col. Cooper himself noted that auto shotguns tend to be more reliable than pumps, given adequate maintenance, for that very reason.

For a sci-fi PAD scenario (Post Apocalyptic Doom) I'd rather have a pump, but for average HD and occasional hunting use I'd buy an auto myself if I was just starting out.

Seems like the various Turkish and Russian guns have come a long way in the last ten years or so, but I'd go with a Mossberg 930, for easy barrel interchange if nothing else. The cheapest plain-Jane version should do you fine. Although the racier versions would do you better on a 3-Gun course, I seriously doubt you'd need more than 5-6 rounds of 12 ga. to settle any home invasion problems.

In 35 years of living in Nebraska and pheasant hunting and goose/duck hunting with an 870 and then an 835 Mossberg, I cannot remember a single instance of short stroking a pump.

spetsnaz
08-12-2012, 9:14 AM
mossberg 500

aippi
08-12-2012, 9:38 AM
Here we go again. Yes, the sound of a pump is most always the best deterent. If you think someone is in your house. Rack that thing hard and call out " I'm Armed and we on the phone with the police, get out of my house". The next sound you hear will be a door slamming or a window breaking as the fool dives through it.

Theives come in to steal because they think you are not home. That is most likely 99.9999% of home break in's. It is not the closing scene in the Movie Sarface. And yes, there are home invasion but they are very rare and asking any LEO will confirm that. So this mess about giving your position away is just that, MESS. And if they are coming in to get you because you have not paid your drug debts, where the hell else would you be at 3am but in your bead room so they already know where you are.......dah!!!!!!!!!

So some clown home owner is going to sneak up on some thief, who is only there to steal and do what? Kill the guy? Theft is not a death sentence and you are also endangering you own life by sneaking up on the guy for no reason what so ever. You are risking elevating a situation, injecting a firearm into it and the risk he takes it from you and you end up dead because your a fool. DO YOU GUYS EVEN THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU POST????????????

L84CABO
08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
In 35 years of living in Nebraska and pheasant hunting and goose/duck hunting with an 870 and then an 835 Mossberg, I cannot remember a single instance of short stroking a pump.

Those geese and ducks fire back at you a lot, do they?

knucklehead0202
08-12-2012, 2:59 PM
i would advise against an auto for a few reasons: they are more expensive, more complicated, and less reliable. there are advantages, but i'd say a basic, simple pump-gun should do for what you need and be more versatile. multi-barrel combos are available from several manufacturers now and are hard to beat. i would not recommend remington over any other brand as their quality control has taken a hard fall over the last several years. that said, there are many good options, including the good ol' mossberg or it's less expensive maverick cousin, also available in a combo. another nice shotgun is the new stevens 320 that's now available with 2 barrels. this is a nicely made chinese shotgun that carries the stevens/savage name and their legendary warranty. the shotgun is pretty much a copy of the old winchester 1300 which anyone knows is a fantastic shotgun. they are also priced well. if i didn't already have a 1300, i'd buy one of these. anyhow, best of luck and don't listen to everyone's petty arguing. in person not many of them would actually unzip their pants....

aippi
08-12-2012, 3:01 PM
Guys that know how to use pumps know that they are designed to be racked to the rear and then forward with authority. They don't short stroke the weapon.

Others rack a pump like a limp wrist Dandy and then whine about the design the of weapon. It is not the design it is the user. So just like Choprzrul I have never short stroked any pump shotgun or rifle.

choprzrul
08-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Those geese and ducks fire back at you a lot, do they?

Been known to fall into the blind & break bones & dislocate shoulders etc...

You have obviously never been in a blind with 5 others with a flock of geese 6' off the deck when someone says "Take 'em", have you?

BigDogatPlay
08-13-2012, 4:58 PM
Guys that know how to use pumps know that they are designed to be racked to the rear and then forward with authority. They don't short stroke the weapon.

Others rack a pump like a limp wrist Dandy and then whine about the design the of weapon. It is not the design it is the user. So just like Choprzrul I have never short stroked any pump shotgun or rifle.

Add me to the never have short stroked a pump gun list. :)

I see and teach new shooters nearly every week, a lot of them with 870s, some with 500s and a lot of Big 5 combo guns. Just yesterday there was a big and strong young man on the trap field with a very nice Benelli pump who was befuddled why the gun was not firing. The gun was not in battery because he was babying it closed. My advice was simple.... run that gun like you mean it, and like you've got a pair. For the rest of the day he ran the action back smartly after he'd followed his shot through and when he loaded he ran the bolt home with authority. And the gun went bang each and every time.