PDA

View Full Version : School me on 10mm Auto

Cypriss32
08-11-2012, 5:03 PM
Ill be doing ALOT of hunting coming up and want a 10mm carry gun. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices: Glock 20SF, and a 1911 NOTHING ELSE interests me. I am attached to my 1911s BIG time. I really would like to keep with 1911 style, BUT if I cant get a good reliable 1911 ill get a Glock. I know there is a kimber 1911 on the list, how good are these guns out of the box? Another thought I had was building a custom gun, maybe buy a frame on here and have a GOOD smith build me up a complete gun. Whats are some thoughts on this. Yes, I will be shooting the FULL power Buf Boar ammo or whatever I can get.

BlackDrop50
08-11-2012, 5:31 PM
Unless you have money to burn just get the glock, it will eat anything with no problems.

Otherwise I would get something custom with forged everything if you want to run full power 10mm.

Last week I was shooting warm 180gr loads at around 1275fps and it still somehow managed to break my Trijicon HD front sight off. Although my .45 Kimber has gone over 8000 rounds with no problems on stock internals I wouldn't trust the same with full power 10.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 5:32 PM
IMO 1911s rule the ranges but in the wilderness I'd stick with an XD glock or SIG.. 1911s are too touchy to get down and dirty with IMO.

And for the 10mm round way over rated like the 45 and 40 were for a while. "The one shot show stoppers" at one point in time. Great round but not the end all like some tend to believe.

ucsdryder
08-11-2012, 6:01 PM
Are you looking for a weapon to hunt with or as a backup? If you are usinG it for hunting I would get a glock 20 long slide. If you are using it as backup I would get te same rig I have. A glock 29 with an extended barrel. You get the velocity of a glock 20 with a gun that you can comfortably haul around all day. Btw, I have a glock 20 and it is now my night stand gun. Just too heavy and bulky.

Oh, and as far as ammo, look at underwood ammo.

SilverTauron
08-11-2012, 6:17 PM
Get a Glock 20 and call it good.

Everything else is going to require work and modification.Out of the 10mm gun brands,only S&W's 1006 series and Glock's 20 will work-and the S&W is discontinued. EAAs,1911s will require some fine tuning by the owner...and those latter two brands have been known to crack a frame or two.

Cypriss32
08-11-2012, 6:19 PM
Both, Im getting a fullsize. I am NOW leaning toward the glock 20SF. When I leave PRK in a year or so, ill get a NICE 1911 10mm. But for now I am thinking:
Glock 20SF
LoneWolf Tactical slide (below the long slide but longer then stock 5.25 barrel I think)
Lonewolf barrel (IDK another good choice?)
Trigger IDK
GOOD SIGHTS

I saw some tan glocks that a guy had on here but cant them again. Anyone know who he is?

zfields
08-11-2012, 6:24 PM
Glock for sure......I wouldnt want the extra weight on my hip if im humping around the boonies all day.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 6:30 PM
Both, Im getting a fullsize. I am NOW leaning toward the glock 20SF. When I leave PRK in a year or so, ill get a NICE 1911 10mm. But for now I am thinking:
Glock 20SF
LoneWolf Tactical slide (below the long slide but longer then stock 5.25 barrel I think)
Lonewolf barrel (IDK another good choice?)
Trigger IDK
GOOD SIGHTS

I saw some tan glocks that a guy had on here but cant them again. Anyone know who he is?

Why don't you just duracoat it your self? $40 to $60 and you have everything you need for 5 pistols.

Cypriss32
08-11-2012, 6:34 PM
Not buy one, he had some pistols with specs and other stuff in 10mm. I jsut wanted to see how he outfitted his guns.

ZNinerFan
08-11-2012, 6:39 PM
Send a PM to Oceanbob, he has a nice stable of 10 mm Glocks in various configurations.

Oceanbob
08-11-2012, 6:44 PM
Adam, if you're going to carry the weapon then a GLOCK 29SF would be my choice. The GLOCK 20SF is also a great weapon; just a little big to carry unless you have a shoulder rig.

My GLOCK 20OD (olive drab frame) runs a normal slide and a Lonewolf Longslide. If you get the Longslide for hunting or fun shooting, get a KKM 6 inch barrel. Lonewolf has had some issues with case support recently.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23tfr6w.jpg

I also bought a G20 SF Frame only to mount various tops on. I Run the Longslide, like this photo shows and can swap out for a 9x25, .40 or .357 SIG if I desire. I bought the FRAME from GLOCKMEISTER in Arizona. They seem to be out of stock these days. I can run 19 round magazines as well in all the calibers listed above.

http://i39.tinypic.com/25an7h1.jpg

For easier carry I also run two GLOCK 29ODs. These also can be fitted with 15 round magazines and a magazine sleeve (from GLOCKSTORE.COM)...the extended barrel on the left is a STORMLAKE and is almost as long as a stock Glock 20 barrel. It stows in my pocket or holster very nice.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ezn2ma.jpg

If you plan on shooting a lot of 10MM I suggest you get into reloading. I reload and it is nice to manufacture 50 rounds in 10 minutes if I desire.

I had a Delta way back; had some frame cracking issues. Never again. I hear they beefed up the frame but I'am sold on the GLOCK platform.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 6:58 PM
What glock does bob not have lol

zfields
08-11-2012, 10:50 PM
What glock does bob not have lol

A glock 7 :sly:

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

k1dude
08-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Oceanbob, does the state/feds consider the frame to be the gun?

The reason I ask is because Gen 4's aren't on the roster. But if I could pick up a Gen 4 frame, that might be a way around the roster.

Moto
08-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Oceanbob, does the state/feds consider the frame to be the gun?

The reason I ask is because Gen 4's aren't on the roster. But if I could pick up a Gen 4 frame, that might be a way around the roster.

I am not the handsome Oceanbob that you asked for but the answer is yes.

m98
08-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Dont forget, a 460 rowland conversion for glock xd 1911 would fit the bill better if ur looking for max semiauto hp.

GW
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Its easy to find 10mm ammo
460 Rowland may be another story
I suggest the Glock 20
The Kimber Eclipse II is a beautiful and reliable 1911 but you can get 2 G20's and ammo for the price of the Kimber

2nd Shot
08-12-2012, 1:12 PM
Good call on the 10mm, it's just about the most versatile service round that can be bought off the shelf.

I have a G29SF myself (G20 will essentially be the same), and haven't shot a 10mm 1911 so take that into consideration... The pros of the Glock platform comes primarily from the fact that Glock engineered the G20/21 and G29/30 around the pressure and recoil impulse of the 10mm cartridge, and then machined away extra mass in the slide for the .45 caliber variants. It's my understanding that the 1911 pretty much can't be had in a Commander or 3" style in 10mm as there is simply not enough slide mass to keep the breech locked long enough when you go to the shorter guns. Extra recoil spring rate will slow the slide and prevent it from battering the frame, but won't do much to keep the breech closed longer. It's the inertia of the slide and barrel mass that determine the timing of the action. On the same note, the first Colt Delta Elites had issues with cracked frames, and that's on an all steel, full sized gun. Later versions incorporated a notch which allows the frame to flex which supposedly fixed the problem. Modern DE's and Kimbers seem to do fine as far as I can tell.

Glocks deal with frame flex by being made completely of a springy flexible polymer and a hardened stainless framework molded in. It feels weird to visibly deform the frame with hand pressure, but between that and the heavy slide and barrel, it soaks up even absolute maximum charge handloads like a champ.

Some people don't like the Glock chamber or the unsupported area at the feedramp, but I do think they've tightened them up quite a bit in more recent models. Some people change them out for stainless match barrels before shooting anything more than lukewarm loads, and some people (like myself) have fired some pretty stout handloads through the stock barrel without trouble, or undue brass expansion.

Either way, if you're looking for a dead reliable, hard working tool that'll work anywhere, any time, in any condition, you know what I'm going to recommend. If you want a prettier gun that you enjoy the looks of, shoot mostly at the range, and won't be in places where cleaning supplies aren't available, go with a nice 1911 with a good trigger.

Cypriss32
08-12-2012, 2:05 PM
Im sold on a GLOCK 20....... Thanks guys. Ill make a thread about it when I get it. Im gona get the G20SF too. I dont have big mits.

chrometip78
08-12-2012, 2:29 PM
IMO 1911s rule the ranges but in the wilderness I'd stick with an XD glock or SIG.. 1911s are too touchy to get down and dirty with IMO.

And for the 10mm round way over rated like the 45 and 40 were for a while. "The one shot show stoppers" at one point in time. Great round but not the end all like some tend to believe.

Agree with almost everything you said here and my vote is for the glock, but saying a 1911 is too touchy for the outdoors is silly. They've been been playing in the dirt over 100 years and have built there reputation on it. Just stay away from the raceguns with extremely tight tolerances. I still think the 40 is over rated.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

m98
08-12-2012, 3:13 PM
^^^Agree as well that the poly 10mm's is the better choice in the stick. And 1911's are fine as long as it's not some super comp race gun with a 5lb recoil spring. I have two stubburn uncles who carries a 1911 racegun as a backup for hunting (facepalm). All they argue is that its very accurate and minimal recoil. I tell em' that those loads they're shooting is weak and if they ever end up underneath a big kitty or bear, that the odds of that ultra light spring topped off with a reddot, could go out of battery and when the trigger is pull nothing happens. But nope, stubburn idiots.

ZNinerFan
08-12-2012, 3:15 PM
Im sold on a GLOCK 20....... Thanks guys. Ill make a thread about it when I get it. Im gona get the G20SF too. I dont have big mits.

Congrats. I just brought my Glock 20SF home on Friday. Going to take her to the range for the first time this coming Friday.

Crappy cell phone pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/FishinCali/Gun%20Pics/photo-2.jpg

sjg1966
08-12-2012, 3:54 PM
Glock 20....'nuff said.

CK_32
08-12-2012, 4:32 PM
I've seen/shot 7 1911s so far and 5 of those 7 jam or have some sort of FTE problem a few out of every 100.. My glock has gone through hell and back and I havnt had a single malfunction out of 3k rounds.

Let alone make it a 10mm and add abuse and debris into the mix.. I wouldn't put my life on it.. You guys go for it.. But I'll keep my 1911s to range queens. I'm not saying they are horrible guns I love 1911s but I've seen too many have some sort of issue at just the range being well taken care of.

I've seen a guy have a few hiking 1911s and their finish didn't hold up well and a few other problems he ran into. Only way he didn't have problems was by keeping up with lube/maitnance almost on the daily to keep them running. Had a Taurus Kimberly and a few other higher ends.. Taurus and kimber couldn't do much other 2 like he said wouldn't hold up unless well taken care of in those elements.

Again great guns but I'd need to see a lot from a few to change my mind to consider carrying or taking out to the woods.

k1dude
08-12-2012, 6:00 PM

If you wait a little longer, you may be able to get your mitts on a Gen 4 Glock 20. Unless you need it right away (Gen 3), I'd be inclined to wait if your budget can take the hit on a SSE.

SilverTauron
08-12-2012, 6:29 PM
Agree with almost everything you said here and my vote is for the glock, but saying a 1911 is too touchy for the outdoors is silly. They've been been playing in the dirt over 100 years and have built there reputation on it. Just stay away from the raceguns with extremely tight tolerances. I still think the 40 is over rated.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

This thread is in reference to the 10mm models.

Unfortunately, 10mm in full power load requires a specifically designed gun to work reliably. There's a guy with a youtube video of frame #4 with his Witness 10mm.
The EAA and 1911's in that caliber are modified off of handguns originally designed to fire far different rounds. The 1911 wasn't built for the 10mm cartridge, and neither was the original Witness. Both handguns coincidentally have a reputation for problems in 10mm but work just fine in their original chamberings.
It is no accident that two of the most reliable pistols in 10mm-the Glock 20 and S&W 1006 series- originally were designed from the drawing board to use that round.

Oceanbob
08-12-2012, 6:31 PM

Unfortunately, 10mm in full power load requires a specifically designed gun to work reliably. There's a guy with a youtube video of frame #4 with his Witness 10mm.
The EAA and 1911's in that caliber are modified off of handguns originally designed to fire far different rounds. The 1911 wasn't built for the 10mm cartridge, and neither was the original Witness. Both handguns coincidentally have a reputation for problems in 10mm but work just fine in their original chamberings.
It is no accident that two of the most reliable pistols in 10mm-the Glock 20 and S&W 1006 series- originally were designed from the drawing board to use that round.

Very good point sir..!.

chrometip78
08-12-2012, 6:35 PM
I've seen/shot 7 1911s so far and 5 of those 7 jam or have some sort of FTE problem a few out of every 100.. My glock has gone through hell and back and I havnt had a single malfunction out of 3k rounds.

Let alone make it a 10mm and add abuse and debris into the mix.. I wouldn't put my life on it.. You guys go for it.. But I'll keep my 1911s to range queens. I'm not saying they are horrible guns I love 1911s but I've seen too many have some sort of issue at just the range being well taken care of.

I've seen a guy have a few hiking 1911s and their finish didn't hold up well and a few other problems he ran into. Only way he didn't have problems was by keeping up with lube/maitnance almost on the daily to keep them running. Had a Taurus Kimberly and a few other higher ends.. Taurus and kimber couldn't do much other 2 like he said wouldn't hold up unless well taken care of in those elements.

Again great guns but I'd need to see a lot from a few to change my mind to consider carrying or taking out to the woods.

Glad you're in socal, don't want you handling my 1911s, a mere touch from you and they'll be cursed forever! :p

Neither of mine are race guns, high end, or fancy by any means but they are not knock offs either (Colt XSE, SA mil spec). I should say they are plain 45acp and have never handled a 1911 in 10mm. I have fed everything from 200g LSWC/3.6g Bullseye to 200g GDHP/7.3 Unique and a bunch of cheap ball ammo without issue. They are also completely stock down to the grips with just plain periodic maintenance. A standard 1911 is a very reliable firearm.

I don't feel glock vs standard 1911 is a case of one being better than the other, that's already been beat to death and still unsolved. I think the choice comes down to what the individual handles better or is more natural with. I just felt the glock is the better choice for the OP due to capacity, weight, and simplicity.

keenkeen
08-12-2012, 6:52 PM
If you are still considering a 1911, just SSE one of these...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=300730184

TonyRumore
08-13-2012, 4:03 PM
Over the years, I have owned the Smith 1006, EAA, Delta Elite, and Glock, all in 10mm.

Hands down.....the Smith 1006 trumps them all.....but that's not what the COOL KIDS have....hence the recommendations above.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

homemade
08-13-2012, 7:27 PM
have and carry a Glock 20 I love it I am also building a 1911 in 10mm to carry.

ddindetroit
08-16-2012, 2:19 PM
G20 is the way to go. I shoot a few different models. One with Barsto Barrel shoots as well as my professional.

DD

Sunday
08-16-2012, 5:54 PM

1911s have been though 2 world wars, Korea and Viet Nam plus various police actions . A quality 1911 will work in the woods. I would get a 44 mag double action stainless steel revolver so you will not have to pick up the brass,,, ya know leave no trace.

CK_32
08-16-2012, 6:57 PM
Yea so did M16's which failed for a good while.. And M9's which every service guy hates for some reason or another.. Because its been through 1 or 2 wars or military doesn't hold much of anything.. All it means is that company greased the wheels enough or have some kind of contract that sat well with the desk jockey budget guys.

I work on a navy base.. I see and talk to active and see first hand how it runs.. Its all f'd up. I agree they are fine pistols and can do some amazing things but what Ive seen first hand with a good few of them of different makers did not impress me..If you think its a biased response its not I'm actually working on picking up a 1911 in the near future after my wheel gun. If you want a 1911 for brush carry go for it.. I my self will stick to my proven glock. I have nothing wrong with that doesn't bother me any.

But ill stand by my recommendation for having actual seen prrof on more than one occasion of them not so great companies to one of the top having malfunctions with good ammo and cleaned to no other with no modifications done.

glenbear
08-21-2012, 9:35 PM
The Kimber 1911 Eclipse in 10mm ROCKS! Finicky on ammo for the first 500 to 700 rds (i.e. loves DoubleTap FMJ's, Hates winchester and other HP's)

The Smith Gen III's rock as well and will eat anything. (also you can throw em at wildlife for a backup) 1006 in 5" 1076 in 4.25" (with sig style decocker) easy enough to find. Build quality of a TANK.

Smith also makes the deadly accurate 610 in revolver and it's quite good out to 50yds, also soaks up a ton of the recoil (even with buffalo bores)
Will also shoot 40 cal for plinking/practice

hummveecop
08-25-2012, 1:23 AM
I've owned a 10mm 1911, alas no more. But my choice at any price is the G20. I have a Gen 2 with 3 barrels - OEM !0mm Glock, Lone Wolf 10-40 S&W conversion barrel and a KKW conversion barrel in .357 Sig. Love it -3 calibers in one, using the same mags and recoil spring.

ExtremeX
08-25-2012, 1:28 AM
Oceanbob... you got some nice glocks.

Makes me want a tricked out 10mm now...

To the OP: I am a big 1911 fan, but for your application, I would go with the Glock.

1000stars
08-25-2012, 1:52 AM
For hunting you want the lightest 10mm available which would be glock. It also holds 10rds. and if you are out of CA hunting you have 14rds.

Bro KV
08-25-2012, 2:40 AM
Glock 20/29 and Underwood Ammo

Start reloading

SFBA
09-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Congrats. I just brought my Glock 20SF home on Friday. Going to take her to the range for the first time this coming Friday.

Crappy cell phone pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/FishinCali/Gun%20Pics/photo-2.jpg

Gotta love those beefy bullets

dwtt
09-14-2012, 3:28 AM
I don't know why the OP even started this thread. He's narrowed it down to two guns and won't consider anything else. Since it's only two guns, he should just buy both of them. I can't see where the problem is here. Maybe the OP thinks he can only own one pistol, or owning more than one pistol will mark him as a gun nut. I don't know.

hcbr
09-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Just go Nugent style like i did, and get a G20! Love the gun so much got two!

BradleyAbrams
09-14-2012, 3:47 PM

I bought my IAI Javelina ( 10mm ) in 1988, from Weatherby's in South Gate.

It is basically a Long-Slide 1911..( w/ B-Square mount & Leupold Golden Ring 4X scope )

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/10-1.jpg

FWIW, I have shot +1000s rounds with All Brands of Commercial 10mm Ammo over the past 24 years with No Issues; Except for one instance, back in 1991 - with one box of PMC Full Metal Jacket Truncated Cone ( FMJ-TC ) Ammo; which stovepiped every Second or Third round -

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4935631104705518&id=0074f7916b24b5f8fde72b64eaa91f42

After that one-box incident, all other similar PMC FMJ-TC rounds have cycled just fine...

-

wash
09-14-2012, 6:29 PM
My GLOCK 20OD (olive drab frame) runs a normal slide and a Lonewolf Longslide. If you get the Longslide for hunting or fun shooting, get a KKM 6 inch barrel. Lonewolf has had some issues with case support recently.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23tfr6w.jpg

I also bought a G20 SF Frame only to mount various tops on. I Run the Longslide, like this photo shows and can swap out for a 9x25, .40 or .357 SIG if I desire. I bought the FRAME from GLOCKMEISTER in Arizona. They seem to be out of stock these days. I can run 19 round magazines as well in all the calibers listed above.

http://i39.tinypic.com/25an7h1.jpg

I suggest a Glock 21 in .45 ACP, then you can buy a 10mm top end that will handle the hot stuff better than stock and have a dual caliber gun for pretty cheap.

snook135
09-14-2012, 6:44 PM
I will speak from personal experience... I currently have 3 10mm autos.

Glock 20, dan wesson RZ-10, and a Colt delta elite. I like them all. I prefer the DW over the colt. The glock is a different species...

I love 1911's and my preference is with them, but I have owned glocks for years!

I prefer for self defense the glock due to mag capacity...but for fit and finsh I prefer a quality 1911 every day over any.

For sidearm while hunting I will carry a 44mag or 454. I no longer rifle hunt, I only bow hunt now. If you ever bow hunt, you won't want to hunt with a rifle ever again.

In 10mm there is a huge choice of bullet weights. Some will say the recoil is too much, I don't think so, but it may be that I am used to large bore pistols.

Glock wise I like the 20 over the 29. With the 10mm and a lager frame it's easier to get a followup shot, and better target acquisition quickly. The G29 is a small frame for the 10mm , although the G20 is big to carry concealed during summertime.

If your close to Sac, feel free to hit me up and try them out...

k1dude
09-14-2012, 7:42 PM
I suggest a Glock 21 in .45 ACP, then you can buy a 10mm top end that will handle the hot stuff better than stock and have a dual caliber gun for pretty cheap.

A Glock may not run as reliably with an aftermarket barrel compared to the original caliber and barrel. There have been lots of reports of problems. You might get lucky, you might not. For a charging bear or bad guy, I don't want to take the chance. It's fine for the range though.

Oceanbob
09-14-2012, 8:28 PM

Actually that longslide I run is fun. But I just bought a complete 10MM top end (used to be Meathead9s; bought it from him long ago, never shot it; sold it to another Cal Gunner; bought it back a couple of weeks ago...whew...a long trip...hahaha..still haven't shot it yet. Too busy)

Since I already had a lower SF I installed this normal G20 top-end.
I already had a bunch of parts; KKM barrel, 4.5 connector (same as the G35) a stainless pin set, some TruGlow Tritium sights, an NP3 coated extended slide release and my preban 15 rounders make this a neat package.

5 unit mag pouch is from Glockstore.com

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/378_Magazine+Holsters/7834_In-Line+Magazines+Carriers/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D378%26_Maga zine%2BHolsters%2F

Makes it nice to have an extra 75 rounds in an easy to carry package. :D

Since I reload I will never be without a GLOCK 20 and 29. Really they are great platforms that shoot hotter than a .357 Magnum with 16 rounds at hand. Nothing can compete with the firepower. The 10MM has more energy at 100 Yards than a .45 Auto has at the muzzle. Really a great woods gun or get-home-from-east-LA-stop-that-Car weapon. :cool2:

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zfh9ok.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/10sas6f.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/wgqmpi.jpg

k1dude
09-14-2012, 9:18 PM
Oceanbob, that's a very nice looking sight pusher in the first photo. Who makes it?

k1dude
09-14-2012, 9:18 PM
Dupe. Technical difficulties of some sort.

ExtremeX
09-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I want a 10mm now...

Oceanbob
09-15-2012, 6:48 AM
Oceanbob, that's a very nice looking sight pusher in the first photo. Who makes it?

I bought it from Glockstore.com a couple of years ago. Don't know if they still offer it. :cool2:

negolien
09-15-2012, 9:30 AM
If money is an issue glock is awesome though they are reliable to the inth degree. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and lots of it the 1911 is nice.

k1dude
09-15-2012, 9:52 AM
I bought it from Glockstore.com a couple of years ago. Don't know if they still offer it. :cool2:

No, it doesn't appear they offer it anymore. Interestingly enough, they now appear to offer dafish's sight pusher - which is awesome for dafish!

dafish's sight pusher thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=422097)