PDA

View Full Version : Baffled by the guys at rifle gear

CK_32
08-11-2012, 5:45 PM
Or should I say magicians..

So I bought my 870 replacement.. Another 870 but basic model and DROSed it at rifle gear. I go to pick up up and he hands it to me with the barrel taken off and says man we had to take it off because it wouldn't fit in our safe how long is that thing (28" express).

I go home and saw aw f**k he didn't give me the key back for the lock I have on it.. Now I have to wait.. Then I realize I've been playing with the key the last 2 days.. How did they take the barrel off if I had the trigger lock on their with no key??

I'm using the lock supplied from Remington that comes with the express'.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/sportin3s/8ca07ec9.jpg

Has me thinking how did they do it and maybe it's not as solid a lock as I thought it was.. Anyone know what or how they did it?

wjc
08-11-2012, 5:57 PM
Maybe they took out the trigger group?

I see two pins on the receiver there...

Fjold
08-11-2012, 5:58 PM
Or they had a Remington master key for those cheap locks.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 6:15 PM
See I thought they took the trigger group out also but I've tried and unless I drop the lot out I can't get the trigger group out.

And do you think they give that key out to ALL ffls??

Thefeeder
08-11-2012, 6:41 PM
How did they take the barrel off if I had the trigger lock on their with no key??

Unscrew the mag cap and lift the barrel off.

ke6guj
08-11-2012, 6:49 PM
Unscrew the mag cap and lift the barrel off.

not when the bolt is locked forward. The bolts lugs lock into the barrel so it can't be removed. And with the trigger lock, they probably couldn't get to to the bolt release.

rack the bolt back and then the barrel can be removed.

ke6guj
08-11-2012, 6:54 PM
Has me thinking how did they do it and maybe it's not as solid a lock as I thought it was.. Anyone know what or how they did it?not sure from your OP, but was it possible that they had the gun disassembled before they put the trigger lock on it?

Or, it looks like there might be enough of a gap in the front of hte trigger lock so that they could have slid something in to pop the action lock release.

Thefeeder
08-11-2012, 7:05 PM
not when the bolt is locked forward. The bolts lugs lock into the barrel so it can't be removed. And with the trigger lock, they probably couldn't get to to the bolt release.

rack the bolt back and then the barrel can be removed.

Just did it with my Wingmaster.....barrel pops right off.

ke6guj
08-11-2012, 7:19 PM
hmm, I thought it was that way with the 870. Maybe it was the 500 or my 37 that was that way, but I do remember at least one of them having the bolt lock up into the barrel and it couldn't be removed at that point.

crackerman
08-11-2012, 7:25 PM
hmm, I thought it was that way with the 870. Maybe it was the 500 or my 37 that was that way, but I do remember at least one of them having the bolt lock up into the barrel and it couldn't be removed at that point.

Mossberg, that is how they get away with the aluminum receiver.

Ribkick
08-11-2012, 7:26 PM

Yup. Was waiting for this. The other posts are nonsense.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 8:13 PM
Yup barrel came right off removing the lug and no I put the lock on my self before I even walked out of the car.

I'm kind of surprised that it came off after that.. Wonder why ever disassembly video tells you you can't unless you half rack the slide.. :confused:

But good luck putting it back on with the lock lol couldn't do it until I racked the bolt.

elSquid
08-11-2012, 9:40 PM

Well, whatdya know...just tried this with my 870P. The barrel pulls the locked bolt forward, and then it unlocks.

You learn something new every day!

( C'mon, I wasn't the only one to try it after reading that post. ;) )

-- Michael

fendter
08-11-2012, 9:49 PM
This trigger lock is worthless. I recently moved and lost the key to the same lock for my 870. A quick search on YouTube showed a little video on how to take it off in less than two minutes without a key.

SandDiegoDuner
08-15-2012, 2:40 PM
I used a small key for one of those cheap luggage locks to open my GF's 870 lock when she forgot the key. Took like 20 seconds to get it off. I would never rely on that POS to secure anything.

CK_32
08-15-2012, 2:49 PM
Yea I watched the YouTube video to show how to get past them.. I only use it to comply with it being locked for range rules and when on the way to the range..