PDA

View Full Version : Best round for self defense

D-rek07
08-11-2012, 4:20 PM
I know this has been discussed before but a haven't seen new thread on it. First off, would it even be worth trying to use a .22? All I have is a 10/22. I want to know if there are any better options than CCI Stingers. Have any others come out since those? Thanks

Bobby Ricigliano
08-11-2012, 4:37 PM
I'd say a .22 is a lot better than no gun at all. CCI Mini mag HP rounds cycled beautifully through my 10/22 so I'd use those.

D-rek07
08-11-2012, 4:40 PM
I'd say a .22 is a lot better than no gun at all. CCI Mini mag HP rounds cycled beautifully through my 10/22 so I'd use those.

Wouldn't the extra velocity of the Stinger help a lot more?

hermosabeach
08-11-2012, 4:53 PM
In the book "Monster- Confessions of an LA ganster" the author was lit up by a .22 with hollow points. Many hits to his back

It feels like the FBI tests want 12" +\- of penetration
.22 hollow points are designed to open/ expand in the first few inches of a Rabbit or Squirel

I would think you might be better off with a solid over the hollow points

If you search on u tube for 22 ballistic testing, you will see how different rounds work in media testing

wjc
08-11-2012, 4:58 PM
7.62 NATO

Save your pennies.

:D

us3
08-11-2012, 5:40 PM
Wouldn't the extra velocity of the Stinger help a lot more?

Check out the ballistic testing vids between the CCI Stingers vs CCI Velocitors

The Velocitors with more weight had more penetration and expansion at 100 yards than the Stingers.

It was also noted that with the Stingers having a longer than normal case, they were not recommended to be shot out of some firearms.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these rounds.

Matt

shamaz
08-11-2012, 5:51 PM
I'm retired on a fixed income and will be experimenting with a Henry H001Y Youth carbine and Aguila Subsonic Sniper rounds--these have a 60 grain slug with a stated muzzle velocity of 950 fps. As a musician I like the idea of having a subsonic cartridge which can be fired without ear protection in a pinch.

D-rek07
08-11-2012, 6:26 PM
Alright I have checked out a few videos and I think I will go with the Velocitor. Now would it be okay to get another magazine and just leave it filled with 10 of these and left near the gun? or would that wear out the spring?

socal-shooter
08-11-2012, 6:35 PM
Nine milliforty caliber !!

Best round Evah!!

D-rek07
08-11-2012, 6:39 PM

Best round Evah!!

Well, since I said I only had a .22, I don't think those will work.

socal-shooter
08-11-2012, 6:44 PM
Many people have Ben killed by .22s , just last week I read a story about a mother who had hone invaders , she killed one if the bad guys w/a .22 , she got a headshot.

People don't like to get shot Period, not even by a .22

us3
08-11-2012, 6:44 PM
Alright I have checked out a few videos and I think I will go with the Velocitor. Now would it be okay to get another magazine and just leave it filled with 10 of these and left near the gun? or would that wear out the spring?

I looked into these 2 rounds before and like the Velocitors spec's better.

The Velocitors use a Gold Dot design cavity which I think that helps the expansion and weight retention.

Here's links to CCI with info on the rounds:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0047

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0050

For defense rounds, I'm happy to pay a few bucks more

Matt

*EDIT*

as for vids, I saw one where a guy was shooting huge pieces of meat wraped in a few layers of denim from 300 yards I think, cool stuff

Jack L
08-11-2012, 7:19 PM
Good article speaks some on .22 with chart of calibers

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-22l-for-self-defense/

redcliff
08-11-2012, 8:42 PM

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-22l-for-self-defense/

Take that chart with a large grain of salt. Since many of the reported shootings were police shootings, and due to the nature of many police shootings (more than one officer firing/sympathetic fire) the calibres most often used by police show performance in the graphs far worse than their actual results. His sources also included newspaper, magazine and internet "accounts" and we all know how accurate that is.

Bartin
08-11-2012, 10:35 PM

Keeping a magazine loaded with the right ammo is the way to go. Leaving a spring compressed doesn't wear it out.

m98
08-12-2012, 1:17 AM
Velocitors and keep the mags loaded. All my 1022 mags i've kept loaded over 10yrs now. No issues.

busta00
08-12-2012, 10:02 AM
use both and stagger your rounds. stinger and velocitor

TrailerparkTrash
08-12-2012, 10:11 AM
As someone pointed out, Stingers are not truely reliable in MANY 10/22's. Sure, some have never reported problems with them, but I dont use them.

I LOVE the Stingers, but in other riles I have. For the 10/22, I LOVE those Velocitors! For self defense, I believe (and I'm a "nobody") that the Velocitors would be your best bet. They penetrate and maintain their bullet weight better than the Stingers do.

...Just another opinion. ;)

BBJohnnyT
08-13-2012, 8:55 AM
+1 on the CCI Velocitors, especially in your 10/22.

DannyInSoCal
08-13-2012, 9:06 AM
A good used shotgun is $200 to $300 -

Why risk needing a perfect shot -

When you can send multiple loads of 00buck down range.

If that's all you've got - Then use it.

But there are very good reasons why cops don't carry 22L sidearms.....

Cowboy T
08-13-2012, 9:10 AM
A .22LR will kill, yes, but it won't provide knock-down power. In a SD-type situation, you want knock-down power. Normally I'd suggest a 12- or 20-gauge shotgun w/ buckshot, but the kick (except Remington 1100's) can be pretty severe.

If you're looking at self-defense in a long gun, but you don't want to deal with a shotgun's big kick, then consider this:

A levergun in a revolver cartridge.

If you like Ruger 10/22's, you'll also like Ruger's 96/44 in .44 Magnum, because it's basically a way-scaled up, lever-action, 10/22. Alternately, the Marlin 1894 and Rossi 92 leverguns ranging from .38/357 to .45 Long Colt are fine choices, too.

NytWolf
08-13-2012, 10:41 AM

The only real conclusion one can make is, the survey was a waste of money.

Even with a shotgun, you still have to aim, especially at SD ranges. The myth that with a shotgun, all you need to do is point, is simply untrue.

A .22LR will kill, yes, but it won't provide knock-down power. In a SD-type situation, you want knock-down power. Normally I'd suggest a 12- or 20-gauge shotgun w/ buckshot, but the kick (except Remington 1100's) can be pretty severe.

If you're lo...

What is "knock-down power"? It is a term used by the uninitiated.

08-13-2012, 10:53 AM
you're going to want to use the one that has the most penetration. the thing about the stingers is that they fragment because of their speed. Such a round is meant for varmint. A high-velocity round nose with the most weight is what i'd use. for that small of a round, a hollow point may not even go through the thick clothing, or bone that you want it to. go for a 40grain ish round nose.

NastyNate
08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
7.62 NATO

Save your pennies.

+1 for this. There is a reason that 70% of the world employs AK Variants in their .mil.

Cheap ammo and you can bury an AK in the dirt, come back for it 10 yrs later and it will work just as well as the day you buried it.

the86d
08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm retired on a fixed income and will be experimenting with a Henry H001Y Youth carbine and Aguila Subsonic Sniper rounds--these have a 60 grain slug with a stated muzzle velocity of 950 fps. As a musician I like the idea of having a subsonic cartridge which can be fired without ear protection in a pinch.

I think some MFRs make a dedicated 1:9 twist barrels for those 60 grainers, for longer range accuracy. I have read that the 1:16 might be shy of what a 60 grain needs to stabilize over longer than 300 yd distances... An M16 has a 1:7 twist for 62 grain projectiles (but I have read they should have gone with a 1:8).

Anyone have a range report with those 60 grain Aguilas on a 1:16 compared to 1:9?

Coded-Dude
08-13-2012, 11:13 AM
As someone who has been shot over and over and over and over and over again with .22 bullets....I can tell you they really only piss people off. You are better off using pepper spray. Sorry about your luck, but .22 is not, and never will be, a good self defense round./sarcasm /thread.

:whistling:

The Virus
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Many people have Ben killed by .22s , just last week I read a story about a mother who had hone invaders , she killed one if the bad guys w/a .22 , she got a headshot.

People don't like to get shot Period, not even by a .22

Who's Ben? How many has he killed?

The Virus
08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
As someone who has been shot over and over and over and over and over again with .22 bullets....I can tell you they really only piss people off. You are better off using pepper spray. Sorry about your luck, but .22 is not, and never will be, a good self defense round./sarcasm /thread.

Shot AT, had you actually been shot I think you would prefer to be pepper sprayed.

RuskieShooter
08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Even with a shotgun, you still have to aim, especially at SD ranges. The myth that with a shotgun, all you need to do is point, is simply untrue.

He never said you don't need to aim. With a .22lr you need a perfect headshot for a quick kill (unlikely in a home defense situation). Aim center mass and you will be waiting a while for a potentially dangerous bad guy to bleed out. A load of 00 buck center mass will have a better chance of putting the bad guy down "hard".

What is "knock-down power"? It is a term used by the uninitiated.

Transference of kinetic energy from the projectile to your target typically measured in joules.

As stated plenty of times in similar threads; .22lr is better than nothing, but you are better off spending a couple of hundred bucks on a 9mm pistol or a cheap pump 12ga.

-Ruskie

NytWolf
08-13-2012, 1:14 PM
He never said you don't need to aim. With a .22lr you need a perfect headshot for a quick kill (unlikely in a home defense situation). Aim center mass and you will be waiting a while for a potentially dangerous bad guy to bleed out. A load of 00 buck center mass will have a better chance of putting the bad guy down "hard".

Transference of kinetic energy from the projectile to your target typically measured in joules.

As stated plenty of times in similar threads; .22lr is better than nothing, but you are better off spending a couple of hundred bucks on a 9mm pistol or a cheap pump 12ga.

-Ruskie

That is "stopping power", not "knock down power". The projectile doesn't "knock down" anything.

Coded-Dude
08-13-2012, 1:21 PM
Shot AT, had you actually been shot I think you would prefer to be pepper sprayed.

nope...I prefer .22 rounds to pepper spray. :43:

Cowboy T
08-13-2012, 1:22 PM
That is "stopping power", not "knock down power". The projectile doesn't "knock down" anything.

Tell that to the BG that gets knocked down by it. Looks like you need to do some homework. :-)

OP, don't waste your time with looking for .22LR home defense ammo. Get yourself something bigger.

shortyforty
08-13-2012, 2:31 PM
I think everyone can agree that a .22lr is not ideal or optimal for SD. However, if it's all you got....it's all you got. Use it. Be profiecient with it. The CCI stingers are not known for their reliablity in most 10/22 rifles. Some have better results than others for whatever reason. The velocitors usually function well in the 10/22 as many here have said. Once you have a reliable ammo selected remember the importance of shot placement. After reliability, it really comes down to shot placement. Whether it's a .22 or a .44mag. A well placed shot with a .22 is much more effective than a missed shot with a 44. Heck, I saw a grown man drop to his knees after getting hit with a richochet from a .177 cal pellet rifle. The pellet hit him in the calf of his left leg (penetrated almost to the bone) and he dropped like a wet noodle. Just imagine getting hit in the face or the throat with a well placed shot from a .22. I sincerely doubt that anyone in that situation (if still standing) would be willing to continue on. Most shooters are extremely proficient with their .22. I know I am. A .22 is not my go to HD gun but if I had to use it I could. Stopping power or Knockdown power is usually used in terms of measuring how well a particular round stops a threat. In many situations unless the Central Nervous System is shut down or interrupted, the assailant will continue to have the ability to harm you. Shot placement is key.While a heart or lung shot is undoubtedly lethal, it may not "shut down" an assailant instantly. A throat or head shot are the most effective but also the most difficult in a stressful situation. Larger more effective calibers are what most of us choose but if we had too, many of us could make good use of a .22 rifle in a HD situation. Shooting someone multiple times center mass can have the same effect as a taser or even a seizure. It can cause the brain to go into an "overload" state and incapcitate an assailant even if there is no physical damage to the CNS. The more common rounds 9mm,40,.45, .223, and 12g have the ability to reach the central nervous system (CNS) or spinal cord with relative ease when shots are placed center mass. Some years ago there was a documentary being aired called deadly force. It showed actual footage of police using deadly force against perps. I have it on VHS somewhere. The video does not discuss stopping power but one can get a good understanding of how long it can actually take to shut someone down without proper shot placement. One can also observe how a well placed shot or 10 can shut a person down instantly.

shamaz
08-13-2012, 2:34 PM
I think some MFRs make a dedicated 1:9 twist barrels for those 60 grainers, for longer range accuracy. I have read that the 1:16 might be shy of what a 60 grain needs to stabilize over longer than 300 yd distances... An M16 has a 1:7 twist for 62 grain projectiles (but I have read they should have gone with a 1:8).

Anyone have a range report with those 60 grain Aguilas on a 1:16 compared to 1:9?

Hi, the 86d,

I shot six rounds of the Aguila Subsonic Snipers out of my Henry H001Y at a paper target at a distance of approximately 30 yards yesterday offhand and DID notice that 4 out of the 6 rounds had wobbled slightly or tumbled in flight as shown by the entrance holes in the paper. I'm glad I only bought two boxes of these to try out. No ear protection was needed for these cartridges but they obviously don't stabilize in flight.

m98
08-13-2012, 3:28 PM
^^^^ my buddies older brother shot me right above my left eye with a generic paintball marker from 25yds away and that felt like someone had b------ slap me at full force right flat in the face. It took me outta the fight for a minute or so while cursing the hell out of the azz------- who shot me. I had a neighbor who was accidently shot in the lower half of the body with a shotty loaded with #4 from about 50yds or so out and it put him down for a few minutes while screaming.

The Virus
08-14-2012, 8:08 AM
nope...I prefer .22 rounds to pepper spray. :43:

I see what you did there.

santamonica9
08-15-2012, 8:31 PM
.22 better than nothing -> in a major disaster, I can carry plenty more 22 ammo in mags or not than the 9mm, 40,45 or 12g - how far would you walk for water after a major earthquake loaded down with all that lbs?

USM0083
08-16-2012, 9:05 AM
Tell that to the BG that gets knocked down by it. Looks like you need to do some homework. :-)

OP, don't waste your time with looking for .22LR home defense ammo. Get yourself something bigger.

What he's getting at is that your typical defensive caliber bullet does not have the energy to "knock" someone down.

If they do have enough energy (e.g. .50 BMG), it will generally punch through and keep going, withour knocking them down.

Look up the Richard Davis videos on youtube.

USM0083
08-16-2012, 9:07 AM
Hi, the 86d,

I shot six rounds of the Aguila Subsonic Snipers out of my Henry H001Y at a paper target at a distance of approximately 30 yards yesterday offhand and DID notice that 4 out of the 6 rounds had wobbled slightly or tumbled in flight as shown by the entrance holes in the paper. I'm glad I only bought two boxes of these to try out. No ear protection was needed for these cartridges but they obviously don't stabilize in flight.

They seem to stabilize fine out of my S&W 15-22, out to 50 yards.

They do, however, stink pretty bad.

TrailerparkTrash
08-16-2012, 4:06 PM
.22 better than nothing -> in a major disaster, I can carry plenty more 22 ammo in mags or not than the 9mm, 40,45 or 12g - how far would you walk for water after a major earthquake loaded down with all that lbs?

Agreed. This is like the 20th time I've said this..... Gimme a 10/22 and a some magazines and I can rule any sports stadium during the next Katrina style disaster, forcing bad guys to their graves.

Sure a .22LR isn't the best choice, but a well placed shot or "dozens" of shots at a human scum target and I'll take him outa the fight. A .22 is better than nothing. If that's all I had for home defense, I wouldn't be fearful. Load up some 10 round mags (or hicaps if you legally qualify) with some CCI Velocitors and wait for the bad guy forcing his way into your home.

...I bet the home owner will win that contest.

RuskieShooter
08-17-2012, 2:07 PM

He said defensive round; not bug out round. You can't really compare the two situations. Typically you don't pack a defensive weapon over long distances. My HD is a 590 loaded with 00buck, but if I had to bug out on foot it would be left behind because of weight and ammo bulk.

I agree, in a bug out situation a .22lr rifle makes sense. But even in a bug out situation I would supplement with a larger caliber pistol for two legged threats.

Agreed. This is like the 20th time I've said this..... Gimme a 10/22 and a some magazines and I can rule any sports stadium during the next Katrina style disaster, forcing bad guys to their graves.

...right up until a bad guy shows up with an AR, AK, SKS, mini-14, 870 or 500 loaded with slugs/buckshot, or a 9mm or larger pistol. I'm not saying that .22 can't be lethal, but there are MUCH more lethal rounds out there.

Again to OP - Spend a few bucks and get something bigger and more effective.

-Ruskie

coy80176
08-19-2012, 3:07 PM
is the one in the chamber if/when you need it....place it well, and be well.

donw
08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
there is MUCH more than meets the eye when it comes to SD shooting.

SWAT and specops TRAIN DILIGENTLY in a closed room environment with specially designed HEARING and vision protection.

how many of you keep your hearing and eye protection right next to your SD/HD weapon? lets have an HONEST show of hands...

odds are, unless you TRAIN diligently, with your .44 mag, 45 ACP etc in the same environment you anticipate having to use it in, you're gonna be shooting BLIND and DEAF after the first shot.

a 10/22, or similar, carbine is one that's HIGHLY controlable and accurate at the ranges in a SD/HD situation not to mention will not be as deafening.

basicaslly...with training...a 10/22 could inject ten, 40 grain slugs, into a chest cavity in a very tight group with lightening speed and accuracy...that's 400 grains of lead injected at 1200+- FPS...nothing to shrug off

SNCaliber
08-21-2012, 10:42 AM
any bullet including a 22 will hurt or at least hinder someone trying to break in, but a 12 ga. shotgun in a home situation is best imo.

Lead Waster
08-21-2012, 10:56 AM

What the! Do tell the tale of the multiple .22! (I'm assuming they came from a firearm, not an air rifle)

Also, a .22 will easily kill, and I think anyone breaking into a house and being shot at might not immediately go down, but the whole "being shot at" hopefully will make them turn tail and get the F out of your house! They don't know WHAT they are being shot at with!

A 10/22, even if the rounds don't stop a DETERMINED assailant immediately will sure slow him down as your are beating on him with the butt of your wooden stock!

And remember, RFK was killed with a .22, but he wasn't a coked up madman trying to kill anyone at the time either.

Lead Waster
08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah, don't discount pepper spray as a valid in-home defensive option! Sure, it will fill your house with choking spray, but the perp will get the bulk of it, then smack him in the face with the butt of that 10/22 and kick him out the door while you call the cops!

D-rek07
08-21-2012, 11:00 AM
odds are, unless you TRAIN diligently, with your .44 mag, 45 ACP etc in the same environment you anticipate having to use it in, you're gonna be shooting BLIND and DEAF after the first shot.

I'm just curious, why would you be blind after the first shot?

donw
08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm just curious, why would you be blind after the first shot?

muzzzle 'flash' in a dark/semi-dark room...:cool:

sholling
08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
A .22LR will kill, yes, but it won't provide knock-down power. In a SD-type situation, you want knock-down power.
^This!^

A 22LR will kill if you get a perfect hit in the perfect spot but it may take a while and the bad guy may just choose to beat you to death with that 22 or see how far he can shove it up where the sun don't shine on you before he dies. If you must use a 22LR I'd go for maximum bullet weight in a solid nose bullet because weight trumps velocity when you need penetration. And with a 22LR you're going to need all the penetration you can get.

My advice is to buy a Mossberg 500 or 590 shotgun on sale and stock up on low recoil 00 buck ammo (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/25rds-12-ga-federal-power-shok-low-recoil-9-pell-oo-buck/cName/12-gauge-2-34-buckshot). Or better yet save up for a newer Mini-14.

Turo
08-21-2012, 11:48 AM
muzzzle 'flash' in a dark/semi-dark room...:cool:

Have you ever shot a firearm in a dark room? Muzzle flash isn't like a super bright camera flash bulb here. It's a dull orange flame that lasts for less than a tenth of a second. Nobody is going to be "blinded" by firing a gun in a dark room, unless you happen to hit them in the eye. This is especially true of the shooter, as 90% of the "flash" is obscured from direct view by the gun itself.

Also, a loud gunshot won't make somebody deaf instantly. Yes, it will cause some hearing damage that will be apparent a few hours later, and might burst an ear drum once in a while, but one (or even 5 or 10) gunshot(s) is not going to instantly make somebody hear nothing. This is especially true when there is adrenaline going in a tense situation.

I've accidentally left my ear protection off a couple times while shooting (12 gauge shotgun, along with .40S&W out of a short barrel) and I still heard fine afterwards. Later that night there was some ringing, but I carried on a perfectly normal conversation right afterwards.

Izzy43
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I know this has been discussed before but a haven't seen new thread on it. First off, would it even be worth trying to use a .22? All I have is a 10/22. I want to know if there are any better options than CCI Stingers. Have any others come out since those? Thanks

Well to answer your first question, No your 10/22 is not a viable, reliable self defense weapon. Its dark, you are asleep, you are awakened by some sound but you don't really know what, where it is. Suddenly you see a figure in your bedroom doorway 12 ft away. What do you do?

Grab your 10/22 loaded with whatever and start firing away. Maybe you get off 5 shoots before the intruder is on you.

OR

Grab your 12 gauge pump loaded with 00 buckshot, point it at the door way and fire. Intruder is probably mortally wounded or deceased.

Stop buying ammo for your 10/22 for a while and soon you'll have enough $$$ to purchase a 12 gauge shotgun (a decent one can be had for around $200 + fees) and set your mind at ease. You are prepared.

If a person is seriously concerned (as I am) about Self/Home defense then one should get the firearm that is meant for that purpose, not a squirrel/rabbit rifle. What's a life worth?

Other Hyper-Velocity ammo worth a look if you are stuck with .22lr is Aguila SuperMax or Interceptors. SuperMax is 1750 feet per second/204 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 30gr solid bullet, fastest .22lr ammo with the most energy on the planet.

Coded-Dude
08-21-2012, 1:09 PM
there is MUCH more than meets the eye when it comes to SD shooting.

SWAT and specops TRAIN DILIGENTLY in a closed room environment with specially designed HEARING and vision protection.

how many of you keep your hearing and eye protection right next to your SD/HD weapon? lets have an HONEST show of hands...

a 10/22, or similar, carbine is one that's HIGHLY controlable and accurate at the ranges in a SD/HD situation not to mention will not be as deafening.

basicaslly...with training...a 10/22 could inject ten, 40 grain slugs, into a chest cavity in a very tight group with lightening speed and accuracy...that's 400 grains of lead injected at 1200+- FPS...nothing to shrug off

occasionally, I will shoot a few magazines with no protection(eyes/ears) just to keep familiar with what it sounds/feels like. its not fun(ringing ears), but i think its better than not having any experience with such a scenario(no safety gear).

RuskieShooter
08-21-2012, 1:35 PM
in the same environment you anticipate having to use it in, you're gonna be shooting BLIND and DEAF after the first shot.

No. When I was in the military we routinely did night fire exercises. You do lose some of your night vision, but no where near the point where you are "blind". You lose more of your night vision from an approaching car's headlights at night than you do from the muzzle flash of your own weapon. If it is really a concern for you, that's what weapon lights are for.

Sound is loud, but not debilitating. All my waterfowl hunting over the years has been without hearing protection and once in the army I ended up at the M-60 range without ear-pro. After 200 rounds of 7.62 out of a '60 my ears were ringing pretty good, but I was certainly still "functional".

To those that say that .22 will debilitate an intruder, what if that intruder has a 9mm or .45 with them? Are you willing to bet your life on the ability of a round meant for small game because you were unwilling to drop the cash for something bigger? I guess I'm not a betting man, because when my family's life is at risk I will go with my 590 loaded with 00buck EVERY time. I save the .22 for the range and ground squirrels.

OP - If nothing else, listen to Izzy43. I don't know of anyone on this board that has more knowledge/experience with rimfires. If he is telling you its a bad idea, then it probably is.

-Ruskie

D-rek07
08-21-2012, 2:24 PM
Well to answer your first question, No your 10/22 is not a viable, reliable self defense weapon. Its dark, you are asleep, you are awakened by some sound but you don't really know what, where it is. Suddenly you see a figure in your bedroom doorway 12 ft away. What do you do?

Grab your 10/22 loaded with whatever and start firing away. Maybe you get off 5 shoots before the intruder is on you.

OR

Grab your 12 gauge pump loaded with 00 buckshot, point it at the door way and fire. Intruder is probably mortally wounded or deceased.

Stop buying ammo for your 10/22 for a while and soon you'll have enough $$$ to purchase a 12 gauge shotgun (a decent one can be had for around $200 + fees) and set your mind at ease. You are prepared.

If a person is seriously concerned (as I am) about Self/Home defense then one should get the firearm that is meant for that purpose, not a squirrel/rabbit rifle. What's a life worth?

Other Hyper-Velocity ammo worth a look if you are stuck with .22lr is Aguila SuperMax or Interceptors. SuperMax is 1750 feet per second/204 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle with a 30gr solid bullet, fastest .22lr ammo with the most energy on the planet.

^This!^

A 22LR will kill if you get a perfect hit in the perfect spot but it may take a while and the bad guy may just choose to beat you to death with that 22 or see how far he can shove it up where the sun don't shine on you before he dies. If you must use a 22LR I'd go for maximum bullet weight in a solid nose bullet because weight trumps velocity when you need penetration. And with a 22LR you're going to need all the penetration you can get.

My advice is to buy a Mossberg 500 or 590 shotgun on sale and stock up on low recoil 00 buck ammo (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/25rds-12-ga-federal-power-shok-low-recoil-9-pell-oo-buck/cName/12-gauge-2-34-buckshot). Or better yet save up for a newer Mini-14.

7.62 NATO

Save your pennies.

Best round Evah!!

+1 for this. There is a reason that 70% of the world employs AK Variants in their .mil.

Cheap ammo and you can bury an AK in the dirt, come back for it 10 yrs later and it will work just as well as the day you buried it.

I get that a shotgun or a large caliber handgun is the best SD weapon, but I'm not really interested in what is the best SD weapon. I meant, would it be worth using it or doing whatever anybody else does that doesn't have a gun. I want to know what ammo to use in my current situation. I have this gun, might as well be prepared with IT.

Izzy43
08-21-2012, 3:32 PM
I get that a shotgun or a large caliber handgun is the best SD weapon, but that wasn't my question. I didn't ask what the best SD weapon is. I asked what ammo to use in my current situation. I have this gun, might as well be prepared with IT.

This was the first QUESTION that you asked:

"First off, would it even be worth trying to use a .22?"

So some of us gave you an answer. If you are determined to use your 10/22 for SD then by all means do so, it is certainly better than using harsh language. Good Luck and try out some Aguila SuperMax in you rifle as they are the most potent .22lr round available.

D-rek07
08-21-2012, 3:36 PM
This was the first QUESTION that you asked:

"First off, would it even be worth trying to use a .22?"

So some of us gave you an answer. If you are determined to use your 10/22 for SD then by all means do so, it is certainly better than using harsh language. Good Luck and try out some Aguila SuperMax in you rifle as they are the most potent .22lr round available.

Sorry, I forgot I put that.

Izzy43
08-21-2012, 7:02 PM
Sorry, I forgot I put that.

No problem. I have read at least 30 different threads on using .22lr as a defensive weapon. Nearly everyone of them goes about the same as this one.

Truth is its hard not to encourage someone to use something different but none of the banter or opinions are meant to be offensive. I hope none of us ever have to face the SD situation.