Truck in the next parking space
Perp jumps out, throws down on him with a shotgun
Friend is seated with one foot inside his Jeep Cherokee
Keeps talking to perp and pushing shotgun barrel sideways
Says he's getting his wallet.
Pulls his Taurus 709 Slim from kidney carry
Fires once
Perps falls backwards, drops shotgun, jumps up and runs

K9 finds the perp shot through the hip and hiding.

Friend goes home alive to his wife and kids.

tbc
08-11-2012, 5:01 PM
Great story! Thanks OP for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone

Bangzoom
08-11-2012, 5:04 PM
did they find the perp at a waffle house?

mossy
08-11-2012, 5:09 PM
glad your friend is ok.

quote from the comments
Although I do advocate for greater gun control (more background checks, registration, etc.) I am a firm believer in the importance of the second amendment and CHL permits.

:facepalm::facepalm: i support the second amendment but i am in favor of regulating guns........just another closet gun grabber.

Capybara
08-11-2012, 5:22 PM
Great story, hope this one is going into the American Rifleman Armed Citizen column. Thank God your friend kept his head and survived.

frankm
08-11-2012, 6:38 PM
Awesomeness! Score one for the good guys!

CessnaDriver
08-11-2012, 6:43 PM
Fantastic story. And it could be from Oz from where I stand sadly.
Sheriff Gore would prefer my head be blown off.

Socal858
08-11-2012, 6:49 PM
Holy crap, glad your buddy is ok. That takes a lot of calm to handle it as well as he did

SocomM4
08-11-2012, 6:54 PM
Well Done.

safewaysecurity
08-11-2012, 7:04 PM
Great job. Where was this? City and state.

elSquid
08-11-2012, 7:04 PM
:thumbsup:

-- Michael

doc540
08-11-2012, 7:06 PM
Great job. Where was this? City and state.

Beautiful Beaumont (Beirut), Texas

The dude really did a great job of staying cool and making the right tactical choices considering he had a shotgun in his face.

Santa Cruz Armory
08-11-2012, 7:10 PM
I love a happy ending. :D

PandaLuv
08-11-2012, 7:42 PM
Good for him and Texas. Thanks for sharing.

Akers
08-11-2012, 7:45 PM
Gotcha, B****!

CBruce
08-11-2012, 8:09 PM
Best kind of story in my mind. Guy was outgunned. Criminal had a shotgun, not a semi-auto handgun or "assault weapon". He was shot, but not killed. All around win-win. Couldn't ask for a better demonstration of why law-abiding citizens carrying is a good idea.

SoCal Bob
08-11-2012, 8:16 PM
WOW, great outcome. Glad your friend came out fine.

Agent 0range
08-11-2012, 8:25 PM
:clap:

chillincody
08-11-2012, 8:33 PM
Good guys 1 - Bad guys 0 :D

MrOrange
08-11-2012, 8:52 PM
Any one you walk away from!

Interesting, but not surprising, that the perp got up and ran with a hip shot. Probably more startled than anything else. He could've just as easily started blasting with the shotgun.

Like the old saying goes, guns don't fight, men do, and this example, whatever he had in his hand, wasn't a candle to your friend. I hope the society thereabouts doesn't try to make him feel bad about going home to his wife and children.

doc540
08-11-2012, 8:56 PM
Any one you walk away from!

Interesting, but not surprising, that the perp got up and ran with a hip shot. Probably more startled than anything else. He could've just as easily started blasting with the shotgun.

Like the old saying goes, guns don't fight, men do, and this example, whatever he had in his hand, wasn't a candle to your friend. I hope the society thereabouts doesn't try to make him feel bad about going home to his wife and children.

all true

Southeast Texas will congratulate him and give him plenty of support for making it home to his wife and kids.

And he's handling it well. He's a "thinker" kinda guy and had planned and trained for suburban combat.

Ytisfedup
08-11-2012, 9:16 PM

No, he was at Popeyes.

VegasND
08-11-2012, 9:22 PM
Good outcome to a dangerous situation.

armygunsmith
08-11-2012, 9:24 PM
Good deal, your friend kept his cool.

A-J
08-11-2012, 9:32 PM
Once your buddy is 100% cleared (if he isn't already) ask him to give more detail please. Glad he made it out with no extra holes, a lot of times the BG lets off rounds and then takes the wallet/purse/money from the body.

Arkangel
08-11-2012, 9:49 PM
I love reading these kinds of stories, I'm glad your friend is alive and well.

Mr. Pain
08-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Now that is awesome....! + 1 for the good guy!!! Soooo glad your buddy is ok and the A-hole is in jail. Its nice to see the good guys win :hurray:

joepamjohn
08-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Too bad there weren't a few guys like your buddy in that Colorado theater, things may have turned out differently if that were the case.

Capybara
08-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Don't mess with Texas.

OIF0708
08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
I have family in the Beaumont area as well. Will have to call tomorrow and see if they saw it on the news. Chalk one up for the good guys.

Kerplow
08-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Glad to hear your friend is okay and perps are still as stupid as ever.

DeanW66
08-12-2012, 2:22 AM
Good job on your buddy!

kel-tec-innovations
08-12-2012, 3:12 AM
:party: Glad to hear, thanks for sharing OP

Rockit
08-12-2012, 3:27 AM
Friend goes home alive to his wife and kids.
.....and that's what it's all about. Good on him.

TripleThreat
08-12-2012, 3:49 AM
As more people start to carry, we should here more stories like this. The hope is bad guys will just get a job like the rest of us.

doc540
08-12-2012, 8:00 AM
Here are a few more details.

It was a diesel truck, and he noticed the engine was running when he parked. Of course, many times people leave them running because they're diesels.

When he came out of the store he noticed it was still idling and took note.

But with one foot on the ground and one inside his Jeep Cherokee, the perp jumped from the passenger side door and threw down on him in a heartbeat.

Instinctively, he reached up and calmly kept pushing the barrel aside since it was right in his face.

He also said, "Man, don't do this. This is a bad decision your making here." Or something to that effect.

That's when he weighed the reality of the situation and asked himself, "Am I in a draw and shoot scene here? Should I really draw my gun and fire?"

He quickly decided it was because he saw it in the eyes of the perp. The guy meant business and began to look even harder and more intentional. And his voice became harder and more amped.

Pretending to reach for his wallet, he was thinking about the location of the external safety on his pistol which he carried IWB in a kidney position, right above his wallet.

He found it, took it off safety and, in one motion, swept across his lap and fired while keeping the shotgun barrel pushed away.

The perp fell/jumped/move backwards between the vehicles and rolled behind the tailgate.

By the time my friend exited the car and carefully moved behind the truck, ready to fire again if necessary, the perp had dropped the shotgun and was pulling up his pants to run into the darkness.

My friend was on with 911 and made sure they guy didn't reappear to attack again.

It was pretty dadgum textbook and his level head and training just flat worked.

Elwood_Blues
08-12-2012, 8:08 AM
He has been charged with aggravated robbery as well as two outstanding warrants for burglary of a habitation and a pending warrant for a previous unrelated aggravated robbery.

Officers also found a vehicle near the scene of the robbery that had been reported stolen.
Glad to hear that someone finally stopped him and your buddy is OK.

trew10
08-12-2012, 8:10 AM
Nice!

trew10
08-12-2012, 8:15 AM
I just got a 12g and I also have a 9mm I always joke around about wishing someone would break into my house so that I can put all my training to use but with all ohnesty I hope I never have to use my guns for HD as I have kids. Good story makes you think

joepamjohn
08-12-2012, 9:20 AM
I just got a 12g and I also have a 9mm I always joke around about wishing someone would break into my house so that I can put all my training to use but with all ohnesty I hope I never have to use my guns for HD as I have kids. Good story makes you think

Having to use deadly force on another person is not something you should ever joke about.

daveinwoodland
08-12-2012, 9:26 AM

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I see what you did there.

mquejr
08-12-2012, 10:20 AM
wished for a better ending but still a good result. glad to hear that your friend came out in one piece

scottunit1
08-12-2012, 10:42 AM
could have been a very sad story glad it turned out this way!

Farva
08-12-2012, 8:58 PM
Glad he carried with a round in the chamber. This is a perfect example of how carrying without one in the chamber would probably have gotten him killed, he would not have been able to rack the slide.

bsg
08-12-2012, 9:05 PM
glad the good guy won, and your friend wasn't injured.

Vlad 11
08-13-2012, 1:02 AM
Disagree with the headline, your friend was anything but a 'victim'.

In addition, he thwarted the future attacks from this scumbag, perhaps saving someones life. This guy wasn't just going to stop after this assault.

Not a victim .. a hero

BP22
08-13-2012, 4:52 PM
Wow, glad your friend is OK. Score one for the good guys.

leocrrnz
08-13-2012, 5:25 PM
Glad your friend is ok... Unfortunately this story will never get air time at our local news stations.

SouperMan
08-13-2012, 5:36 PM
Good to hear your friend made it out alive!

doc540
08-13-2012, 5:51 PM
Just got home from spending a couple of hours with my friend.

He's doing well, but they took his gun until the investigation is complete.

So what does a good friend do?

I loaned him my CM9.

He said he not only didn't use his sights, he doesn't remember any loud noise or recoil.

He swept the shotgun muzzle away with his left hand, drew and fired across his lap with his right.

The perp saw the gun as he drew and began to step backwards.

When he fired the perp was moving/falling towards the rear of the truck.

It don't work like in the movies, friends.

comblock
08-13-2012, 5:53 PM
Great story op. Like others have said though, the sheriff in the county i am in couldnt give a sheet. They would just come after the fact, blame guns for the violence and pick up my brain pieces on the street. I guess its safer that way.

Surf & Turf
08-13-2012, 10:44 PM
So was there an accomplice? What's with the running diesel?

doc540
08-14-2012, 5:57 AM
So was there an accomplice? What's with the running diesel?

No, he acted alone.

Probably left the truck running for a quick getaway.

With a diesel truck you don't have to pause and pull its pants up. :D

macxd
08-14-2012, 2:54 PM
Great story! Glad your friend is OK

elfstone
08-14-2012, 3:01 PM
Too bad your friend wasn't able to fire more than one round in self defense.

And hey, what's wrong with waffle house!

ninjawho?
08-14-2012, 5:23 PM
why did perp pull on him?

NSR500
08-14-2012, 7:28 PM
Glad he's okay, but an even better ending would have been a 100% dead perp.
Now the Tax Payer will pay his medical, legal fees, and incarceration costs.

NastyNate
08-14-2012, 8:51 PM
Gotcha, B****!

Yeah that.

Glad your boy is alive and well. I bet the perp saw it playing out differently.

Pimpin007
08-14-2012, 11:05 PM

:rolleyes: No, Starbucks....

bruceflinch
08-15-2012, 9:03 AM

Lifeon2whls
08-15-2012, 4:32 PM

Read a few stories about people who have had to use deadly force in their home and the PTSD they have had to go through along with everything else. Nothing you should ever joke about or wish for.

audiophil2
08-15-2012, 5:08 PM
He said he not only didn't use his sights, he doesn't remember any loud noise or recoil.

This is very common and why I practice on a police simulator. Talk to LEO's that had to shoot and they will tell you they never heard shots or even saw their own gun. Under a high stress situation like this you tend to get severe tunnel vision and your ears shut down. The first time I practiced on a police simulator I drew my gun but did not remember seeing my sights. It was just point and shoot which is why your friend most likely hit the hip. It takes practice to get rid of the tunnel vision which is very important to do. Back to my first simulator training, I shot the bad guy easily but never even looked for an accomplice.

Practicing draws, situational awareness, and speed are all important but they leave out the biological changes made when under these situations. I highly suggest practicing on a simulator a few hours a year to condition your body not shut down as much under stress.

doc540
08-15-2012, 7:10 PM
why did perp pull on him?

armed robbery

doc540
08-16-2012, 1:52 PM
One MILLION dollar bond!

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Police-1-million-bond-set-on-suspect-shot-in-3783003.php

OutlawDon
08-16-2012, 2:01 PM
Read a few stories about people who have had to use deadly force in their home and the PTSD they have had to go through along with everything else. Nothing you should ever joke about or wish for.

+1

Some of you guys need to stop with the mall-ninja rambo attitude. Nothing to joke about or wish for, esp with kids at home. What happens when 3-5 bad attitude, armed guys storm through your door. How much training do you have to prepare for that???

Please reevaluate your perception and mindset.

pismopal
10-12-2012, 8:15 AM
I once visited a night club in Texas and I was stopped at the door by a security guard who wanted to know if I had a gun on me. I told him I was unarmed and he said that they would loan me a pistol just for the evening!..........no! It didn't...but it could have I'm thinkin'

Nate
10-12-2012, 8:23 AM
:cheers2:

SNCaliber
10-12-2012, 11:28 AM
awesome story, glad your friend got out of the situation safe and did a great job

stitch_paradox
10-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Wow really? So you want some one to break into your house just to guage your super mall ninja skills? I bet you can't wait for the zombie apocalypse too. Taking a life regardless of the situation is no joke.

Back to the original post. Good for the guy, I guess it all boils down to training. If I may ask, what kind of gun was your friend carrying?

myk
10-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Good for him and Texas. Thanks for sharing.

Yup, only in Texas. Here in California the shooter would have been arrested for attempted murder, found guilty and put in jail for 200 years. Meanwhile, the POS with the shotgun would be placed into rehabilitation and then placed in a common house with other losers so he can rape, rob, kill, and set cats on fire, all on the dime of the people that he just raped, robbed, killed.

+1

What happens when 3-5 bad attitude, armed guys storm through your door. How much training do you have to prepare for that???

I'd just give them my girlfriend and her wallet. That should distract them long enough so I can get away...

em9sredbeam
10-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Glad he came out alive. It is good to read a story with a good ending every once in awhile.

glockman19
10-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Good to hear...also fortunate it was in texas.

Distro
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Just got home from spending a couple of hours with my friend.

He's doing well, but they took his gun until the investigation is complete.

So what does a good friend do?

I loaned him my CM9.

He swept the shotgun muzzle away with his left hand, drew and fired across his lap with his right.

The perp saw the gun as he drew and began to step backwards.

When he fired the perp was moving/falling towards the rear of the truck.

I think it's QuarterBoreGunner (mod) who wrote about his shooting incident, and said he remembers firing twice. When the police/detectives talked to him they said they recovered 4 of his rounds.

stix213
10-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Victim should have just learned karate. ;)

CK_32
10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
If only... Out wonderful state would rather have a higher GTA/Robbery hommicide rate than have any chance of this...

**sigh** politics is and will forever be the downfall of this nation..........

Fishslayer
10-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Good one! :rofl2:

Fantastic story. And it could be from Oz from where I stand sadly.
Sheriff Gore would prefer my head be blown off.

He might have one of his snipers do that...

aermotor
10-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Another great real life example of why you should always carry one in the pipe if you CCW.

Andric
10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Great story, happy for the outcome.

Sad he only put one round on target.

chozenfew805
10-18-2012, 12:14 AM
:thumbsup: Cool story OP!

Jet Setter
10-18-2012, 12:39 AM
:thumbsup: Good to hear your friend is OK.