PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 FTE Updated post 27

Mr.1904
08-11-2012, 3:17 PM
Been eating at me so..

I finally made it to the range the other night. Discount Gun Mart in San Diego. I was having a blast with my Glock 30SF, Glock 17RTF2, and my brand new 26 (only about 130 rnds through her since i got her about a month ago.). Everything was all fine and dandy until i got a FTE with the 26. Now both my 9mm Glocks have the 336 EJECTOR (for Talent and Shenaniguns, who will probably be here shortly) but i'm honestly ok with the random casing to the head every once in a while. The 17 has been absolutely FLAWLESS since i've had it. Bought it new about a year or two ago and it has ~2,000 rnds through it.

Back to the issue. I was shooting Bullet Man 115 grn reloads that seemed pretty inconsistent on velocity. Coulda just been me but whatever. I was on my 7th round in the stock 10 round magazine with a pierce XL grip extension and i was playing around with my grip because where the mag met the grip it kept biting my pinky, i remember putting a little bit more pressure on the bottom of the mag with my pinky on the grip extension when i had the failure. The gun stopped and at first i thought i was out of ammo and the slide locked back and i honestly looked at the pistol in disbelief. I was willing to brush it off as a fluke but since the gun is going to be an EDC gun it's bothering me a little. Half of me thinks that it was me just putting pressure awkwardly on the magazine which caused the failure, but the other half of me keeps going back to this Glock Brasstotheface/FTE hysteria.

Am i over-analyzing (again?)?
Or has anyone else experienced FTE's with the 26?

After said range session she has ~350-400 rounds through her. I was just shocked at what happened. Going out ot private property to run her through her paces tomorrow so we'll see if i can replicate the problem.

Update post 27

fremont lapua
08-11-2012, 3:24 PM
My guess would be the reloads are causing you the issues. Try some factory ammo and see if the issues go away. Just my .02

Mr.1904
08-11-2012, 3:26 PM
A few pictures just to spruce things up a bit.
Can someone tell me what this is and what it means? Haven't seen it before
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p591/DrewSD/photo-2.jpg

First round out of my Glock 30SF with new night sights installed (Guess they're straight)
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p591/DrewSD/photo1-1.jpg

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p591/DrewSD/photo2-1.jpg

jcaoloveshine
08-11-2012, 3:28 PM
I shot BulletMan 40sw reloads in my FNP40 and they would FTE on occasion as well. It might be the ammo. Try factory ammo and see how it runs.

Steve G
08-11-2012, 3:34 PM
prob the crappy cheap reloads you were shooting. Try different ammo and report back..

scglock
08-11-2012, 3:42 PM
Weird. My bulletman reloads have been pretty consistent. No malfunctions at all through 1k of 9mm and 45acp. Maybe you go a bad batch? Definitely try factory ammo to factor it out

Mr.1904
08-11-2012, 3:54 PM
I honestly don't think the ammo is the culprit. All my Glocks eat everything like a champ. Like i said in the original post is i think me putting awkward pressure on the grip extension caused the malfunction. Since i was playing around with my grip it coulda been a limp wrist?

What i'm trying to establish is whether or not people with 26's experience FTE's and what from or if it's just me.

Tripper
08-11-2012, 4:03 PM
I had somewhat the same issue when using any 'textured' extended mag, but no problem with the smooth stock ones for my 27. I think it results from the pinkey pinching, where I think I sub consciously adjusted grip pressure or location, and ended up overcompensating, resulting in the FTE/F, but again for me it was only the textured extended mags, the ones with the finger groove type extension with the checkering. Didn't have the issue using a 23 mag with no adapter but did when using the adapter
YMMV
I dont have the issue with the same style mags on the 30

scglock
08-11-2012, 4:05 PM
Have you tried using the non-extended mags?

Mr.1904
08-11-2012, 4:23 PM
Yea, the failure only happened once. With the pierce extended mag. +0.

giantsfan
08-11-2012, 4:50 PM
I've got a 26 with pearce ext mags. I've got only 40 to 50 rounds through my brand new 26 but haven't had any issues with 115gr reloads. I would be inclined to blame the reloads as well.

Shenaniguns
08-11-2012, 4:56 PM
My guess is the ammo.

fanof1911forlife
08-11-2012, 7:04 PM
Try shooting 200 rounds of factory ammo with stock mag to get a base line. Then shoot 200 rounds of factory on the extended mag and note the number of FTE. 200 rounds of the reloads on stock mag and note the number of FTE. Compare the number of failures and go with the combo that have the least FTE. A lot of Glock fanboys swear that Glock pistols eat ALL kinds of ammo so you may need to find out for yourself if this claim is true.

Shenaniguns
08-11-2012, 7:08 PM
Try shooting 200 rounds of factory ammo with stock mag to get a base line. Then shoot 200 rounds of factory on the extended mag and note the number of FTE. 200 rounds of the reloads on stock mag and note the number of FTE. Compare the number of failures and go with the combo that have the least FTE. A lot of Glock fanboys swear that Glock pistols eat ALL kinds of ammo so you may need to find out for yourself if this claim is true.

LOL at your 1911 fanboyism, better make sure your specific 1911 is made to feed hollowpoints or else you'll be in fail to feed city.

Bad ammo is bad ammo, and it can possibly cause a malfunction in any firearm.

Matt P
08-11-2012, 7:11 PM
Yes the gun and the ammo is all the problems here.
Totally unacceptable to have One (1) failure in 350-400rds.
Glock normally have some form of an malfunction at a much different number. It is a secret number that I can not share here on this public forum.
I suggest contacting Glock and sending it back on Monday. In fact just pay for the shipping yourself and get it back. Do not touch that firearm from this point on. Possibly use tongs and gloves to handle it. Even then it may be touchy.
No no no, you are certainly not over thinking this. It was very good of you to create this thread to share the fact with all of us you had that failure, one failure out of 350-400rds.

Thank you for taking the time to share the horrific burden of having another new Glock and that horrible FTE...... Thank you, oh thank you.

chonkey
08-11-2012, 7:15 PM
Newer 9mm Glocks don't like weak ammo. Hotter rounds will fix brass to the face and FTE's. Use 124gr or hot 115gr. Worst offenders are 115gr WWB, UMC, Federal Champion, and range reloads.

FalconLair
08-11-2012, 7:19 PM
one FTE? could have been any number of reasons, if that was the only time I wouldnt be too concerned with it

and I think MattP is being sarcastic LOL :D

fanof1911forlife
08-11-2012, 7:24 PM

Correction - 2000 rounds are a better sampling instead of 200. Good luck.

fanof1911forlife
08-11-2012, 7:26 PM
LOL at your 1911 fanboyism, better make sure your specific 1911 is made to feed hollowpoints or else you'll be in fail to feed city.

Bad ammo is bad ammo, and it can possibly cause a malfunction in any firearm.

Actually, I became a Sig fanboy a few weeks ago. I was using fanboy as a term of endearment and if you are offended by it, then it's your problem
:)

acolytes
08-11-2012, 8:03 PM
I bought some bulk crappy 9mm ammo with a friend a while ago, and his S&W, and Sig had FTF/FTE about 2/10 shots. The following range trip, I made it a point to shoot my share of the "junk" ammo and be done with it. Suprisingly, my G26 ate all of the ammo without one FTF or FTE. :43:

Mr.1904
08-11-2012, 9:34 PM
Still going with my hunch of possiby limp wristing due to trying to avoid mag bite.

Going shooting tomorrow and am going to try and replicate the problem.

Oh, and your welcome mattp. This thread was actually made JUST for you :)

jdg30
08-12-2012, 7:25 AM
You probably just accidentally hit the slide stop lever with your thumb and the slide locked back because of it. I've done it before on my G27 and once with my G30sf. At first I thought it was the gun malfunctioning but then I realized I caused the malfunction myself from my thumb touching the lever while firing. I pay more attention to my grip and it never happens anymore.

I have a G26 with Pearce extensions and it works perfect. I've shot at least 500 of my reloads through it so far since I got it. You should sand the sharp top edge of the Pearce extensions and round it gently with either sandpaper or a Dremel. The pinching from that sharp edge is very uncomfortable but with a few minutes work you can dull that edge and they will be very comfortable. I'm surprised Pearce doesn't slightly round that sharp edge to begin with.

Shenaniguns
08-12-2012, 9:58 AM
Actually, I became a Sig fanboy a few weeks ago. I was using fanboy as a term of endearment and if you are offended by it, then it's your problem
:)

Good luck with your MIM filled Sig's.

Shenaniguns
08-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Newer 9mm Glocks don't like weak ammo. Hotter rounds will fix brass to the face and FTE's. Use 124gr or hot 115gr. Worst offenders are 115gr WWB, UMC, Federal Champion, and range reloads.

It doesn't fix it in entirely, but it lessens the problem.

Mr.1904
08-17-2012, 5:44 PM
Still going with my hunch of possiby limp wristing due to trying to avoid mag bite.

Going shooting tomorrow and am going to try and replicate the problem.

Oh, and your welcome mattp. This thread was actually made JUST for you :)

Sorry for the delay people. Been workin like a dog.

But last weekend we went out to private land out north of Ramona. Got my reps in, brought all the pistols out of the stable. That 1,000 rounds of bulletman reloads are now only 200. The 26 has about 500-600 rounds out of it and no, i could not get it to replicate the problem. The thing shot like a champ the entire day. I had to cut it short because i still wanted to get out to the range one more time before that thousand rounds dries up haha. Two range trips, 7-800 between the two. One hiccup from the FTE, which i still think was me putting awkward pressure on the mag and creating the malfunction with a limp wrist. The ammo functioned fine. Not too dirty, relatively accurate. I've literally NEVER had any malfunction with any of my four Glocks before the other night. That's why it was so bothersome to me. Never have i witnessed that. I honestly stopped shooting, chuckled, and sat the gun down to process it actually happened. Sunday i tried shooting the pistol with that awkward pressure on the grip. Fingers in incorrect spots. Gripping the gun incorrectly. Basically doing anything and every awkward wtf thing to get the thing to malfunction. But, no dice; And i'll take it.

Thanks for listening to me worry. Have a great weekend everybody.

2nd Shot
08-17-2012, 5:53 PM
Almost every one of my pistols had a failure to eject or two in the first 200-300 rounds of ammo. Most notably my 9mm XD and G26. After that, neither ever failed to work ever again with anything I could feed it, including some reloads I accidentally assembled while the primer pockets were still damp - 1/10 would fail to fire completely, and the rest clocked a pathetic 800-900 FPS over the chrono with a 124 grain bullet. If the G26 was susceptible to underpowered loads, they'd have to be severely underloaded with a light bullet or the like. The same load in bone dry brass clocked ~1050-1100 FPS, about the same as Golden Saber 124 +P tested for reference.

Mr.1904
08-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Ok. So since i made the thread i might as well keep it updated. Last weekend went shooting and had another failure. FTE the spent casing. Twice in <800 rounds for a self defense weapon isnt kosher to me so. I went to the glock store this morning and voiced my concern. Cameron who is one of the gun smiths over there ended up polishing the top of the trigger bar, feed ramp, the top of the trigger bar where it meets the firing pin safety, the face of the firing pin plunger, the back of the firing pin where it meets the trigger mech housing. And left the 336 ejector. I also dropped a 4.5 connector in it just for good measure. Stoked to say the least. Cant wait to blast a few hundred more rounds to through it to see if it makes a difference.

And excuse me if i'm not spot on with the part descriptions. Heres some pics so you guys can get a look 166998

Mr.1904
08-30-2012, 12:06 AM

bcten22
09-01-2012, 7:56 AM
If you had only 2 FTE in 800 rounds, it has to be the ammo. If the gun were the problem you would see this more frequently.
It sounds like everything is working up to the point of ejection. Where the powder charge is too light or doesn't burn fast enough, there will not be enough force generated on the slide, against the spring and finally, against the ejector.
Those 2 rounds were likely too weak to force the slide (with your spent case still attached to the extractor) into the ejector hard enough to fling the spent case away from the gun. When this happens, the case is not redirected at a great enough angle to get around the extractor claw before the slide starts its forward return back into battery.
Using a lighter spring might have helped, but polishing the trigger contacts will do nothing to solve this (non)problem.
My advise: Don't worry about it. Be thrilled if you get 100% reliability with non factory reloads, but never expect it. When I practice with my edc, I start and finish my range session with a mag full of my preferred carry round; Every shot in between is just trigger time.