PDA

View Full Version : Any Ranges in SoCal that allow steel core\jacket?

ja391
06-13-2007, 5:32 PM
A purchased a case of Wolf .223 a few months ago from Sportman's Guide and they are steel core\jacketed. Does anyone know any ranges in the area that allow them?

ocabj
06-13-2007, 5:51 PM
Inland Fish and Game does not restrict ammo.

Lytle Creek has a no steel bullet rule, but they don't enforce it from what everyone claims.

desertram800
06-16-2007, 4:24 PM
Today at Angeles my buddy was shooting Wolf with his AK and the range nazi took one of his rounds and stuck it to a magnet. They had magnets stuck everywhere around there. Anyhow, they confiscated all his Wolf (like an entire case) and didn't let him get it back until we left.

69Mach1
06-16-2007, 4:39 PM
A purchased a case of Wolf .223 a few months ago from Sportman's Guide and they are steel core\jacketed. Does anyone know any ranges in the area that allow them?

Have you tested the bullet to see if it will stick to a magnet? I've yet to run across Wolf .223 ammo (steel case Wolf) that has a steel core. I've never heard of a steel jacket either. All of the places that I shoot that check ammo, check the bullet not the case.

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2007, 5:02 PM
You can shoot it at Agoura Target Range. It is only a 50ft indoor range but, you can shoot it there!

markymark
06-16-2007, 5:06 PM
Have you tested the bullet to see if it will stick to a magnet? I've yet to run across Wolf .223 ammo (steel case Wolf) that has a steel core. I've never heard of a steel jacket either. All of the places that I shoot that check ammo, check the bullet not the case.

I've heard that the newer .223 Wolf have bimetal jackets.

glockman19
06-16-2007, 5:20 PM
Bad advice

markymark
06-16-2007, 6:01 PM
There is a reason they do not allow magnetic projectiles at Angeles. Does one really want to accidentally cause a fire at the range and cause it to close down?

anotherted
06-16-2007, 6:33 PM
Does one really want to accidentally cause a fire at the range

Ive seen it happen at SGVGC and Burro on several occasions. There is a reason for this rule.

Guns R Tools
06-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I have seen bi-metal rounds stating a fire. It will happen if you shoot enough on dry condition.

It's just that they still don't allow it after rain.

Maybe they should have rainly-day special, shoot any kind of bullet. :p

bear308
06-16-2007, 11:00 PM
if you like to shoot outdoors in National Forest land, don't shoot steel. It's that simple, we live in fire country. Recently (last year) ASR was put on a no more chances notice by the head range for Angeles NF. One more fire, no more range. People that want to shoot cheap ammo at the possible cost of no more range for thousands of visitors a month make me want to vomit.

They shouldn't go thru your stuff without permission, but you have to take into account the risks involved for the company. Add to that the fact that "men" have snuck ammo in before.

desertram800
06-17-2007, 12:15 AM
the range safety guy at Angeles said that some guy started a fire shooting steel core ammo and the fire guys fined him like $14,000 or some obscene amount of money like that. I guess every rule has reasons behind it, spending a little bit more for ammo or a LOT more for a hefty fine.......I think I'll spend a little bit more on ammo!

GTKrockeTT
06-17-2007, 10:32 AM

Lytle Creek has a no steel bullet rule, but they don't enforce it from what everyone claims.

i wonder if that will change after the june 3rd beltfed shoot (and fire).

whlgun
06-17-2007, 1:32 PM
the range safety guy at Angeles said that some guy started a fire shooting steel core ammo and the fire guys fined him like $14,000 or some obscene amount of money like that. I guess every rule has reasons behind it, spending a little bit more for ammo or a LOT more for a hefty fine.......I think I'll spend a little bit more on ammo!

It was 140,000$ and if there is a fire we lock the gate and find out who is shooting steal ammo so that we can turn them in to the fire department. And the people talking about sneaking in steal are the reasons we are so called range nazi's. They ruin our attitudes towards steal when they insult us by switching boxes.

desertram800
06-18-2007, 3:37 PM
ah yes, I thought you said $140,000, but then I started second guessing myself thinking that $140k was way too much!! Hahah! Well, fires are serious business out here....

Citadelgrad87
06-18-2007, 3:57 PM
People that want to shoot cheap ammo at the possible cost of no more range for thousands of visitors a month make me want to vomit.

That might cover many, but how about Garand shooters, like myself, who simply cannot find and non ferrous ammo that is safe to shoot?

ocabj
06-18-2007, 4:00 PM
Options:

1. Handload

2. Get an adjustable gas plug.

3. Go to a range that allows steel core/jackets.

Citadelgrad87
06-18-2007, 4:00 PM
It was 140,000$ and if there is a fire we lock the gate and find out who is shooting steal ammo so that we can turn them in to the fire department. And the people talking about sneaking in steal are the reasons we are so called range nazi's. They ruin our attitudes towards steal when they insult us by switching boxes.

You should "lock the gate" with care, you are technically unlawfully detaining everyone who is not shooting steel cored ammo.

Same principle is behind your ability to ignore the guy at Wal Mart who asks to see your receipt, it's illegal to detain someone if they didn't steal anything.

I'm not saying I would have a problem with what you are trying to do, but someone some day will, and it will probably result in a lawsuit.

ja391
06-19-2007, 4:08 AM
Today at Angeles my buddy was shooting Wolf with his AK and the range nazi took one of his rounds and stuck it to a magnet. They had magnets stuck everywhere around there. Anyhow, they confiscated all his Wolf (like an entire case) and didn't let him get it back until we left.

Yeah, they did the same to me. The guy didn't just go through my bag to take the rounds, he simply asked me to hand him the boxes so they could hold it in the office. I don't feel that it was a problem because they were just doing it to make sure I didn't shoot the rounds when they weren't looking, not that I'd do that anyway. I actually don't have a problem with any of the rangemasters.

I knew about the no steel core rule. I just didn't realize my Wolf ammo was magnetic, but apparently it is due to the bi-metal jacket. Good thing I still had my XM193 in my bag.

Yes, they stuck the magnet to the actual bullet. As others stated the new Wolf is bi-metal,which has me disappointed because I purchased it thinking it wasn't metallic. I wish it was the middle generation Wolf with the polymer coated shells and non-magnetic jackets.

if you like to shoot outdoors in National Forest land, don't shoot steel. It's that simple, we live in fire country. Recently (last year) ASR was put on a no more chances notice by the head range for Angeles NF. One more fire, no more range. People that want to shoot cheap ammo at the possible cost of no more range for thousands of visitors a month make me want to vomit.

They shouldn't go thru your stuff without permission, but you have to take into account the risks involved for the company. Add to that the fact that "men" have snuck ammo in before.

I don't know if you're addressing me or just anyone in general, but like I said, I didn't shoot the rounds intentionally knowing they were magnetic. When shooting the plates, they seemed to be creating the same amount of sparks as the Federal XM193 I shoot, so I didn't think anything of it.

Now that I know that they are magnetic, I don't shoot them there and I wouldn't try to sneak them in. I don't want to risk the chance of a fire causing the closure of ASR. I'll just shoot them at Agoura Target Range or Inland Fish and Game (when I'm in the area) since they allow it. Last time I was at Inland F&G they didn't have much, if any, brush on on the rifle range.

You can shoot it at Agoura Target Range. It is only a 50ft indoor range but, you can shoot it there!

Good to know. Thanks

Thanks for the info.

bear308
06-19-2007, 9:49 AM
not directed at you, just toward the people that try to sneak it in when they know it's not allowed.

Whitesmoke
06-19-2007, 2:55 PM
No offense meant by this......but,

I live in kern county and shoot at 5-dogs range. The whole area is dry grass and I have NEVER heard of steel core ammo starting a fire there. They have no ban on steel core ammo and I've used it there forever......

I believe that the no steel core ban is just one of those rules they pass "just in case" which has little possiblity of really happening.....I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Also, in the military, I've never seen a fire started by non-tracer steel core ammo even on dry grass ranges. Now....the tracers start a fire everytime....and I can understand the rules against that....but steel core, I doubt it.

Flame away.....:p

bear308
06-19-2007, 4:34 PM
Well, I've seen three fires started with steel ammo @ angeles. Before I was there they had a huge one on the far mountain of the rifle side. It is still an issue. The issue is not really dry brush, it has more to do with the type of geology around the impacted zone.

Whitesmoke
06-19-2007, 5:17 PM
The issue is not really dry brush, it has more to do with the type of geology around the impacted zone.

Well.....that could very well be. At 5 dogs, we just have silty-sand with some clay soils and grass.