PDA

View Full Version : Dros question

NiMiK
08-11-2012, 9:47 AM
I'm thinking about picking up another Glock. Maybe a 23 or 35. The problem I have is, I recently moved and requested a new drivers license with a new address at the DMV. Forms submitted and processed but they punched a hole on the year of expiration on my card and gave me a temp paper license. Would I still be able to make a purchase or do I need to wait for the new card?

CK_32
08-11-2012, 9:58 AM
I think it should work as long as you keep both due to that beig a legal form of ID.

Best bet would be to call and ask to know for sure.

Roland Deschain
08-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure about a punched license but the address on my license is no longer where I live and I always use my vehicle registration to back it up. Since you recently moved this might not be an option for you. I'd suggest bringing utility bills (ie: power, water, cable TV, etc) with your name on it as backup to be safe.

corcoraj2002
08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
A CA id with a punch through the expiry date, according to the ABC, is no longer valid.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 12:18 PM
A CA id with a punch through the expiry date, according to the ABC, is no longer valid.

But I think he's asking if that along with the temporary DL/ID peppers along with it work. Because that is a legal identification until you recieve your hard ID.

NiMiK
08-11-2012, 1:21 PM
But I think he's asking if that along with the temporary DL/ID peppers along with it work. Because that is a legal identification until you recieve your hard ID.

Exactly what I was planning to do. Not sure if anybody has asked this question so my apologies in advance if someone has. I guess the best way to find out is to speak to an FFL dealer. Might do so at Riflegear.

dkthree
08-11-2012, 1:37 PM
I picked up a pistol while waiting for a new ID card. I had a temporary paper ID, and two forms of address verification as well.

I'm not stating this is how the law reads, just my experience.

john45auto
08-11-2012, 2:25 PM
A temp CA DL from the DMV and a registration your good

fendter
08-11-2012, 2:30 PM
Same situation here. I had recently moved. My CA DL had my old address, but my CA car registration has my current address. I had two current utility bills with my new address as well. Turners still turned me down for a handgun purchase. Said I needed to go to the DMV first and change my license...

Roland Deschain
08-11-2012, 2:40 PM
Same situation here. I had recently moved. My CA DL had my old address, but my CA car registration has my current address. I had two current utility bills with my new address as well. Turners still turned me down for a handgun purchase. Said I needed to go to the DMV first and change my license...

I recall reading the law recently but unfortunately cannot find the link now. IIRC it said a picture ID plus vehicle registration with current address was sufficient (obviously don't quote me on this vague recollection of something I may have or may not have read :-D).

In any case all three of my guns have been purchased using a DL w/ an old address and vehicle registration with my current address. YMMV.

PS: I'm buying at American Shooting Center (http://www.gotammo.com) if that helps...

dem0critus
08-11-2012, 2:43 PM
Hmm. I doubt it. I've heard varying answers for what is "valid" but the shop I go to requires a valid CA photo ID. Easiest way would be to call the shop you plan to go to and ask em.

Rorge Retson
08-11-2012, 4:36 PM
At the end of the day it comes down to the individual shop what they accept. I had one accept my SDG&E utility bill, then another reject it because "SDG&E is owned by Sempra, which is a private company."

Then, one shop accepted a DMV printout with my PO Box as my mailing address and my DMV physical address as the residence address, another shop would not.

Roll the dice.....

morrcarr67
08-11-2012, 5:22 PM
My license has my old address on it and my car registration has the new address. I've not had a problem with this set up. I do still have to provide a second proof of residence by way of using a utility bill.

aristeia
08-12-2012, 12:43 AM
YMMV since FFLs can be as picky as they want to be.

Technically: Once your ID is punched, it is no longer valid ID.
Your paper temp ID is also not valid ID, even if it is coupled with the punched ID. Some FFLs will not do it just because they don't want to risk their license.

For future reference, if you plan on buying a firearm and have moved recently, keep the old address on your ID and change your address on your vehicle registration or any other government issued document (LADWP for example is gov).

Valid ID with old address + new address on govt issued doc is OKAY!

That being said, if you're nice about it, you might be able to get the FFL to hold the firearm for you, guarantee the price, issue a rain check for the price, etc until you have the proper paperwork :)

CK_32
08-12-2012, 8:50 AM

Yea but that's turners.. Half the time they can't even tell you what gun your buying with out reading the tag.. They are the what not to do if running a successful business. Them and stockaid...

XDJYo
08-12-2012, 9:20 AM
DMV Registration trick! Go to a AAA office that has DMV services and you can just walk right in and get a new auto registration in 5 minutes! (and $18).

I was in the same boat. Still haven't received my updated registration/license in the mail from DMV (turns out, if you do it on-line...you won't). So, when I went to get my 1911, I had my drivers license with my old address and used the new registration for it.

Hope this helps!!!

Oh, and the nice lady at the LGS (thanks Heather!) said to NOT let them punch a hole in your current drivers license. Best bet is to use the 'lost' drivers license route. That way, they won't punch a hole in your current one.

NiMiK
08-12-2012, 11:47 AM
DMV Registration trick! Go to a AAA office that has DMV services and you can just walk right in and get a new auto registration in 5 minutes! (and $18).

I was in the same boat. Still haven't received my updated registration/license in the mail from DMV (turns out, if you do it on-line...you won't). So, when I went to get my 1911, I had my drivers license with my old address and used the new registration for it.

Hope this helps!!!

Oh, and the nice lady at the LGS (thanks Heather!) said to NOT let them punch a hole in your current drivers license. Best bet is to use the 'lost' drivers license route. That way, they won't punch a hole in your current one.

I should have posted here before I went off to the DMV!!! I'll be changing my address again next year when my wife and I buy our first home. I would have completed the registration that day but the bank that I'm financing my car through has not completed the paperwork to add their info as a Lean holder on my car. Might have to check back with them in a week or so.

XDJYo
08-12-2012, 4:23 PM
You can go online and change your address on your registration. It does take some time though. But, it will make your time at the AAA office that much faster. That's what I did, so it was very quick.

Now I just need to get my drivers license taken care of. Already have an appt. they do say you can use any government issued paperwork. Which is why the utility bill would work, but not like your phone, cable or cell. More like PG&E or SCE.

NiMiK
08-12-2012, 5:58 PM
Just came back from Riflegear with a buddy that picked up a Glock and checked with them on this too. My DL is pretty much worthless to use until I receive a new one. I should have submitted the current DL as lost so they wouldn't have punched a whole in my card. Lesson learned.

Was really hoping to pick up another gun today too. BTW, Riflegear's transactions are smooth and fast! Beats Turner's slow system and long wait times.

XDJYo
08-12-2012, 6:01 PM
Let us know how long it takes for the new license. I need to get mine too, but thankfully not to pick up my gun.

ptgarcia
08-13-2012, 2:15 PM
When I got my MC endorsement the DMV punched my license, also. Tried to buy a gun at Turner's and they turned me down. At the time DMV was backed up and it took a month to get my license.