PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a handgun

Flowmini98
08-11-2012, 7:18 AM
I have to send a handgun of mine in for warranty repair and this is what I was told by Rugers customer service:
- unloaded with magazine out of it
- plain brown packaging with the prepaid shipping label attached
- must be sent from a true UPS shipping depot , not from a mailbox store
Is there anything else I should do?

-hanko
08-11-2012, 9:06 AM
I have to send a handgun of mine in for warranty repair and this is what I was told by Rugers customer service:
- unloaded with magazine out of it
- plain brown packaging with the prepaid shipping label attached
- must be sent from a true UPS shipping depot , not from a mailbox store
Is there anything else I should do?
-Let ups know what's in the box when you ship it.

-Make sure you insure the package...iirc ups' standard/free insurance is for $100 only.

hth

-hanko

redcliff
08-11-2012, 9:11 AM
Ship it Next Day shipping per UPS policy. Hopefully the pre-paid shipping tag Ruger sent complies with that policy; Kimber's doesn't.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 9:18 AM
You do not have to notify them.

For all they need to know its just parts. Shipping it shouldn't be a problem at all just package it get it insured and confirmation with tracking and send it off.

Librarian
08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
You do not have to notify them.

For all they need to know its just parts. Shipping it shouldn't be a problem at all just package it get it insured and confirmation with tracking and send it off.

Correct, that you do not have to notify them - it's going to an FFL (Ruger), so the law does not require that.

But, if you don't, why should UPS honor an insurance claim? For all they know, you shipped half a brick.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Correct, that you do not have to notify them - it's going to an FFL (Ruger), so the law does not require that.

But, if you don't, why should UPS honor an insurance claim? For all they know, you shipped half a brick.

Which is why you take a photo and list of all contents being shipped. It's your responcibility to prove what's lost and them to honer it not only for the shipping company but recipients.. Simple CYA and if the carrier would like to ruin their reputation of a million doller empire saving a couple hundred dollars then that's on them.

Or you could let them know and just be denied all together which I have seen/been my self several times for much less and get no where. As long as it is not a hazard they do not need to know contents also being could lead to the thieft of the package in the first place.

I know a few workers in the UPS/FedEx work place and some of them are not the most honest people i wouldn't trust with much less than that. Your choice tho I wouldn't risk it as long as its not a risk to the carriers.

You can call my responce paranoid but I could say the same about them not honering the insurance which usually is no questions asked.

Not my first time shipping items of small or large value and I have the views I do from personal experience. So take what you will.