PDA

View Full Version : Show me your Glock grip reductions. Does anyone in SoCal do them?

bernieb90
08-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I am looking for a full sized 9mm pistol for HD/Plinking. I want a durable reliable pistol that can stand up to a good amount of shooting including the occasional pistol class without having any issues. I would like a striker fired pistol with good ergonomics, and accuracy. Here is the catch, I dont like Glocks because the grips are too big to fit my small hands. I also do not like the grip angle. I have looked at the M&P, but it seems to have issues in 9mm that require hundreds of dollars in parts to fix. I was thinking of getting a Glock 17, and having the grip reduced. Also is there anyone in Socal that does Glock grip reductions.

CK_32
08-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I have tiny hands and have never felt this grip problem everyone raves about that a slight adjustment as with an gun or practice familirization didn't fix..

I feel it's just different and like an American driven car vs a RHD car takes some seat time to learn how to use it.. That's all.

kygen
08-10-2012, 11:36 PM
i was up at burro on july 4th, and the guy next to me had a grip reduction on his 19. it felt pretty good, made it look less bulky. they filed off the finger grooves and rounded the trigger guard. i forget his name, and where he got it done, but since then ive been wanting to do the same thing

tal3nt
08-10-2012, 11:39 PM
I would consider rounding the trigger guard. A grip reduction probably makes the Glock feel better for some people.. I myself love the factory feel of a gen3

tdyoung1958
08-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I am looking for a full sized 9mm pistol for HD/Plinking. I want a durable reliable pistol that can stand up to a good amount of shooting including the occasional pistol class without having any issues. I would like a striker fired pistol with good ergonomics, and accuracy. Here is the catch, I dont like Glocks because the grips are too big to fit my small hands. I also do not like the grip angle. I have looked at the M&P, but it seems to have issues in 9mm that require hundreds of dollars in parts to fix. I was thinking of getting a Glock 17, and having the grip reduced. Also is there anyone in Socal that does Glock grip reductions.

reducing the length of the grip is gonna fix that how? If you hands don't fit the grip good and you don't like the angle, how is a shorter one going to fix that?

Find a single stack 9mm smaller grip width . . . maybe a 1911 style

bernieb90
08-10-2012, 11:47 PM
reducing the length of the grip is gonna fix that how? If you hands don't fit the grip good and you don't like the angle, how is a shorter one going to fix that?

Find a single stack 9mm smaller grip width . . . maybe a 1911 style

The grip reduction gets rid of the hump on the back of the grip and changes the grip angle. I have trouble getting enough of my finger on the trigger to get a consistant trigger press. with a smaller grip front to back it should get me a better finger position.

http://www.robarguns.com/images/grip_reduction.jpg

Rattlehead
08-11-2012, 12:00 AM

I'm not sure what issues you're referring to about the M&P.

As far as Glock's go, Ben at Boresight Solutions is generally the go-to guy for Glock grip reductions, as long as you don't mind a wait. I know his wait times used to be 4-6 months, now I believe he's either not taking new work at the moment, or it's around a year wait.

I do slight reductions:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6834646642_c7361ed750_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/7187294245_0211ac338e_c.jpg

Some find that a basic re-texture is good enough.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/YJM101/f638eced.jpg

The first two pictures are not necessarily even a reduction, it's just a straightening of the hump. Ben's reductions are real reductions, the difference is obvious.

I'd tell you to send them to me, but I don't have my FFL yet. :mad:

DFC also does Glock re-texturing work.

fremont lapua
08-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Have you tried a gen 4, they have a slightly smaller grip. I love my gen 4 G19.

bernieb90
08-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Have you tried a gen 4, they have a slightly smaller grip. I love my gen 4 G19.

Where can I look at one.

fremont lapua
08-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Any place that does SSE's would most likely have 1 in stock. I'm in NorCal. So Tracy rifle and pistol is my go to place. Don't know about so cal maybe turners?

Whatisthis?
08-11-2012, 1:58 AM
I have small hands and the Glock fits well. My GF has even smaller hands, and it doesn't bother her either. I honestly think you might be holding it wrong or placing too much of your finger on the trigger. If you 100% need a reduction, which I honestly don't see being the case, then go with some of the recommendations above.

M&P issues? You mean the accuracy issues from internet people that try to shoot their handgun off hand at 25 yards when their grouping at 7 yards is larger than a shotgun spread at 25 yards? I have read very little about this but from what I read, it was a bunch of crazy talk from people always blaming the gun. I'm sure there could have been a couple cases where it actually effected accuracy, but I doubt it has effected all the people that have claimed it. M&P9c is next on my list and I don't have a single worry about any issue that may currently be or used to be in that line of guns.

scglock
08-11-2012, 2:11 AM
I personally don't think there's such thing as grip angle and all that nonsense. Just learn to shoot it, thats what really matters. Unless you have some sort of wrist problem where the angle of the grip actually affects your ability to point and shoot the gun, leave the gun as is and just practice more

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
08-11-2012, 3:33 AM
Isn't the second generation slightly smaller? I know that holds true for the 21 but not sure about the rest compared to a third generation

carmad
08-11-2012, 5:13 AM
I wanted a Glock 19, the Gen 3 were too thick, and I could not reach the mag release with my thumb. I tried the Gen 4, with the small back-strap and it fits my hand really well.
I had to SSE it, which adds to the cost, however really happy with my choice, love my 19.

Oceanbob
08-11-2012, 7:52 AM
Bernie....I can recommend http://www.glockworx.com/

Several people I know and my friend Meathead9 have used them and their work in incredible.

Good luck sir..!

Let me add meathead9 s photo of his GLOCK 20. Glockworx does good work.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1ih06u.jpg

Distro
08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I would buy a Glock over an M&P 9/10 times, but what are these "hundreds of dollars to fix" issues with the M&P? The only extra costs of an M&P I have run across are people who like to add aftermarket triggers. That isn't an issue, it's simply a preference.

Mr.1904
08-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Timberwolf lower.

Jpcm
08-12-2012, 9:46 AM
The only money I've dropped into my m&p is for ammo.. Since downing those few hundred dollars my groupings have shrunk in half. Not sure how much a grip reduction costs but I imagine it isn't cheap.

compulsivegunbuyer
08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Here's my Glock grip reduction:p

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/bronco68nut/DSC_0072.jpg

Lead Waster
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I find that if you shoot with both hands, with a thumbs forward grip, the size and grip angle don't matter. If you hold the gun in ONE hand, it makes a difference.

bernieb90
08-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I am going to take a serious look at the M&P again as well as the XD/XDm and Walther PPQ. These pistols seem to have a bit shorter backstrap to trigger face distance than the Glocks. The one that fits my hand the best will get the nod. For defensive shooting one hand operation of a pistol is very important.

Jpcm
08-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Where are you located? I'll be going to the range on friday, your welcome try my m&p if you're in the orange county area

dem0critus
08-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Here's my Glock grip reduction:p

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/bronco68nut/DSC_0072.jpg

hahaha nice.

bernieb90
08-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Where are you located? I'll be going to the range on friday, your welcome try my m&p if you're in the orange county area

Thanks for the offer, but I am up here in the SFV. I think Oaktree has an M&P for rent up here so I will probably just go up there and give it a try.

SVRider
08-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Are you feeling adventurous???

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10437/guntechdetail/Glock-Grip-Reduction-Custom-Beavertails

Personally, I like the idea of the bobtail. I like the feel in a 1911. I'd need to get a toy G19 and bobtail it first to see if I like the result before I'd consider doing it to a real one though.

CamW
08-14-2012, 10:16 AM
For grip reductions, check with Dave's Metal Works in Covina,626-859-0299.
Here's a Glock with grip reduction, texturing, beavertail and desert camo Cerakote that he did.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7048/camoglockltsideview.jpg

SilverTauron
08-14-2012, 10:34 AM

My .02 cents;if the gun doesn't fit you choose another brand.

There are other 9mm's which fit your criterion. Shooting a pistol is hard enough without fighting the ergonomics too.Springfield as the XD series,FN has the FNX series, Sig has the Sp2022, Ruger the SR9, and Caracal's new pistol is out too. It's illogical to focus on one brand of gun when there are other alternatives which don't require permanent modification of the grip frame to be useable.