PDA

View Full Version : making a hand gun while under 21

edwardjames
08-10-2012, 7:26 PM
alright guys, i did a quick search which didn't turn up the results i was looking for.

my question is not only can i build a handgun right now(i am turning 20 in a few months) , but will i ever get hassled if i take it out shooting at a range ?

i have always been hands on with making things, and i think it would be cool to construct one from an 80% rather than wait another year to buy one.

thanks in advance !

~Eddie

707electrician
08-10-2012, 8:03 PM
It is not illegal for a person under 21 to own a handgun

Arkangel
08-10-2012, 8:34 PM
Buying ammo might be a hassle for a while.

Sbasham
08-10-2012, 9:21 PM

I miss read the post. EDITED Cause i made a reading error and now feel dumb haha.

scglock
08-10-2012, 9:27 PM

BS. Cause Im 19 and own a handgun, my mother gifted it to me, and CA DOJ approved. I couldn't buy it and I cant buy ammo so its a good thing i reload.

OWN/Possess is legal for anyone 18 or older.

Buy is legal for anyone 21 or older.

I think you missed a word

SilverTauron
08-10-2012, 9:31 PM
From the California Attorney General's website:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#1

To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

Because CA law mandates all transfers go through an FFL, this leaves the OP in a pickle. It is possible for the OPs family to "gift" a handgun receiver , but beyond that I do not see a legal way to acquire a handgun under 21 within California. Most other states mandate that while a person under 21 can't buy a handgun at an FFL , private party transactions are legal as long as the person's over 18 and otherwise not DQ'd for criminal actions.

Sbasham
08-10-2012, 9:33 PM
I think you missed a word

I sure did. Now i feel like a loser. Sorry, "707electrician".

707electrician
08-10-2012, 9:34 PM

To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

Because CA law mandates all transfers go through an FFL, this leaves the OP in a pickle. It is possible for the OPs family to "gift" a handgun receiver , but beyond that I do not see a legal way to acquire a handgun under 21 within California. Most other states mandate that while a person under 21 can't buy a handgun at an FFL , private party transactions are legal as long as the person's over 18 and otherwise not DQ'd for criminal actions.

He is talking about creating one from an 80% blank in which case he could buy anywhere no problem

707electrician
08-10-2012, 9:34 PM
I sure did. Now i feel like a loser. Sorry, "707electrician".

No problem :D

Sbasham
08-10-2012, 9:35 PM
Reading comprehension:rolleyes:

I was gonna make an excuse and say it was a long day at work and Im tired. But I wont. Ill own to making a reading error :oops:

I got :owned: real quick. haha

CK_32
08-10-2012, 9:38 PM
This thread has so mch fail from all angles lmao

Sbasham
08-10-2012, 9:39 PM
This thread has so mch fail from all angles lmao

much* haha.

fremont lapua
08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Go for it buy an 80% lower go to a build party and have a non registered fully functional handgun. You will have to have your parents or a buddy over 21 buy you ammo or order online.

oldmotor
08-11-2012, 12:27 AM
I recently bought two 80% lowers and was wondering about this. My 15 year old son wants to finish one of them.

edwardjames
08-11-2012, 7:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to make my move next pay check . Ammo shouldn't be an ussue as we have multiple calibers in the household and plenty of ammo.

Last question do I need to complete a HSC to own it?

CSACANNONEER
08-11-2012, 7:23 AM

Since he is planning on MANUFACTURING his own handgun, it would be legal. He is going to be the manufacturer and it will NEVER be TRANSFERED to him or anyone else.

I recently bought two 80% lowers and was wondering about this. My 15 year old son wants to finish one of them.

If he finishes one, it is his and not yours. He will be the legal owner. Thaat said, he can only build a long gun since, he can not legally own a handgun at 15.

ham
08-11-2012, 7:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to make my move next pay check . Ammo shouldn't be an ussue as we have multiple calibers in the household and plenty of ammo.

Last question do I need to complete a HSC to own it?

wouldn't hurt to get one. besides by the time it expires, you'll be over 21 anyway.

john45auto
08-11-2012, 1:33 PM
It takes some skill to get it right but its fun