PDA

View Full Version : I jailed an XD 40 toady… What are some good accessories to go with it?

Hecktic
08-10-2012, 7:16 PM
Ammo Brothers was having a sale for the Springfield XD’s (9 or 40) for $399. I have wanted the 40 for a while so I jumped on it today. I bought the 4” inch model and I plan to use it for target shooting, plinking and home defense. Anyway, I was wondering what are some cool accessories to get for my new XD 40. (Sites, grips, holsters, whatever…, ect.). All suggestions are welcome :)

BTW the people at Ammo Brothers in Ontario are really cool to talk to. It took a while to do the paperwork but the whole time we were cracking jokes and having a good time. I think I wan to work there now ;)

babe
08-10-2012, 7:19 PM
9mm conversion barrel for cheaper shooting. My husband has made it pay for itself!

scglock
08-10-2012, 7:23 PM
Ammo ammo ammo. A light if its for home defense.

91 whiskey 209
08-10-2012, 7:27 PM
I just put a nebo on mine. I like it. I also bought a hogue grip but that made the grip a little too big and I ultimately took it off.

Synergy
08-10-2012, 7:34 PM
Ammo ammo ammo. A light if its for home defense.
This^

Also the XD trigger is not bad, but a drop in kit from Powder River makes a huge improvement, I cant have a trigger kit on my XD, since I plan to use it CCW.

http://powderriverprecision.com/

gigglemonkee
08-10-2012, 7:59 PM
brassstacker.com get the slide charger and tungsten guide rod. then have a trigger job done and a hogue grip sleeve. for about 65 bucks in service and 100 in parts that gun will shoot beter than you do.

Anti-Hero
08-10-2012, 9:02 PM
A Glock

Hecktic
08-10-2012, 9:30 PM
9mm conversion barrel for cheaper shooting. My husband has made it pay for itself!

That is an awesome idea! It's like have 2 guns in one... Thanks :)

Sticka
08-10-2012, 9:31 PM
An XDS!!

Hecktic
08-10-2012, 9:37 PM
Anti-Hero you are funny! (Named appropriately too) :) These are all some great ideas and I definitely will look into getting a trigger job. Any recommendations on a light? I usually hear good things about SureFire but I’ll take suggestions.

acolytes
08-10-2012, 9:40 PM
I put one of these Hogue slip on grips on my XD45. I love the way it feels.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151258560/hogue-handall-slip-on-grip-sleeve-springfield-xd-9mm-luger-40-s-and-w-357-sig-rubber

Synergy
08-10-2012, 9:46 PM
A Glock

Ignore him, he has drank way too much of Gaston's Kool-Aid! :p

MA2
08-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Any recommendations on a light? I usually hear good things about SureFire but I’ll take suggestions.

Surefire is up there in the quality, and the price reflects that.
Check out Streamlight's TLR series, a great value and durable enough.

blockfort
08-11-2012, 6:34 AM
get a reloading setup, it can start paying for itself now and you'll be making cheap rounds for years to come.

zfields
08-11-2012, 6:41 AM
brassstacker.com get the slide charger and tungsten guide rod.

Honestly two of the worse things you can do to your gun.

gigglemonkee
08-11-2012, 8:21 AM

I love them. I'm a southpaw so the slide pull is a godsend and the weight from the guiderod is great for the light pistol

jessegpresley
08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
These guns are fine out of the box. You don't need to weigh down your pistol with a tungsten guide rod or need to install an aftermarket trigger. Just buy bullets and range time.

Rorge Retson
08-11-2012, 12:08 PM
These guns are fine out of the box. You don't need to weigh down your pistol with a tungsten guide rod or need to install an aftermarket trigger. Just buy bullets and range time.

Speak for yourself, nobody else. YOU think the gun is fine. YOU don't care that the trigger is the way that it is. YOU can let others have their own experiences and opinions, just like they let YOU have YOURS.

Reasons?

m98
08-11-2012, 3:05 PM
Stock up on target ammo. Pickup multi boxes of different sd ammo. Pickup xtra mags. Uplula mag loader if u dont like the factory loader that came with the gun. Mag holders for the belt. A new retention type holster.

m98
08-11-2012, 3:08 PM
A Glock

And blow up the world when fired........

[insert pic of glock nuke explosion blowin up Sara Connor at the playground]

zfields
08-11-2012, 3:17 PM
Reasons?

Guns are made to function correctly with what is on them. Messing with the weight off the slide is not something that should be screwed with on a defensive gun. Not to mention, they are both just a plain waste of money.

Ammo
Better sights
Ammo

Rorge Retson
08-11-2012, 3:22 PM
Guns are made to function correctly with what is on them. Messing with the weight off the slide is not something that should be screwed with on a defensive gun. Not to mention, they are both just a plain waste of money.

Ammo
Better sights
Ammo

But you can mess with sights? Even though guns are meant to function correctly with what is on them?

I think it's great you have your opinion, but at the end of the day, it's still just an opinion, not a fact.

A heavier front end might actually make the .40 more pleasant to shoot, and easier for a follow-up shot.

gigglemonkee
08-11-2012, 4:25 PM
A heavier front end might actually make the .40 more pleasant to shoot, and easier for a follow-up shot.

The tactical and compact have solid rods out the box. The service is a hollow rod.

zfields
08-11-2012, 4:28 PM
But you can mess with sights? Even though guns are meant to function correctly with what is on them?

I think it's great you have your opinion, but at the end of the day, it's still just an opinion, not a fact.

Go look to see how many people have issues with aftermarket guide rods, compared to sights. Your comparing two very different ammounts of weight. Recoil springs are made to work with specific slide weights and force from the round firing. You start messing with either, it can start causing problems unless you compensate for it, hence why different recoil springs are available for competition guns.

Your right, its my opinion, but when you have seen guns that don't cycle correctly once goofy crap has been added, but worked fine before it starts making more sense.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

2nab
08-11-2012, 4:45 PM
The two best and most useful accessories ever are ammo and range time.

Next would be more magazines and the right holsters for the task.

Then we go back to ammo and range time,

then sights, (only if they help you get better sight picture) then trigger

Sturnovik
08-11-2012, 4:52 PM

Well since you said it "might", I'll add it really doesn't. I've had people do that on Glock's in .40 and 45 and Sig Pro's and they all go back and say it was a waste of money. The few people I've talked to who say they feel a difference eventually say while it "feels" like it, it most certainly wasn't worth the money. That and it has caused binding issues and your better off just buying ammo/mags and if money permits some night sights or sights there more preferable with. Adding crap like a brass stacker and actual recoil rods and springs the gun wasnt meant to use ever does eventually affect something.....but I'm assuming your new to this or read it on some forum? :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with a race gun, but this particular model, let alone barrel length doesn't lend itself to that role very well. To each his own....

And yes you can mess with sights.........they weigh pratically nothing and they offer you an advantage.......that is if the user even wants to bother with them. Changing a Spring or adding something that hangs on the slide to charge the weapon is a whole different ballpark budd.

Go look to see how many people have issues with aftermarket guide rods, compared to sights. Your comparing two very different ammounts of weight. Recoil springs are made to work with specific slide weights and force from the round firing. You start messing with either, it can start causing problems unless you compensate for it, hence why different recoil springs are available for competition guns.

Your right, its my opinion, but when you have seen guns that don't cycle correctly once goofy crap has been added, but worked fine before it starts making more sense.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

+1. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Just buy mags and some ammo....as time permits buy a light and/or night sights. The gun as a HD weapon doesn't need all that extra crap on it or the slide. If the OP was having problems charging the weapon, it should have been noticed at the pickup or before the 10 day wait happened when he bought it.

Glad your liking the purchase OP, the XD is a neat poly pistol.

anyo91
08-11-2012, 9:00 PM
I put Trijicon night sights on my XD 4" .40 a few years back and they are just as bright now as they were then. Other than that extra magazines and a good holster (i use a galco owb) are always beneficial.

Hecktic
08-20-2012, 9:34 PM
Picked it up today... XD40

Arkangel
08-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Ammo and extra mags.

Once you shoot a few rounds down the pipe you will have a better idea of what upgrades or add ons you think will enhance the pistol's performance for you.

I agree on a light since this will be a HD pistol. I run an X300 but streamlight makes some fine lights (TLR-1s for example)

desertjosh
08-21-2012, 5:24 AM
Just shoot it alot before you mess with the trigger ect. I have the xd9 tactical and the trigger really smoothed out after a few hundred rounds.

dk94044
08-21-2012, 6:09 AM
if you dry fire a lot, get a beefier striker retaining pin, mine split after a year...
brownells or PRP

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42630/Product/XD-XDM-STRIKER-RETAINER-PIN-SET

dls
08-21-2012, 6:13 AM
Extra mags.
I have a heck of a time finding 10 rounders for my sub compact.:mad:

I sent my XD to Springer precision for night sights. Then had him do a few other things, carry trigger job,factory clean up, crown barrel, polish feed ramp.. Had it back in a week.

Here is his site.http://www.springerprecision.com/gunsmithing.php
Click on the XD work order form for prices..

MUNCHIE
08-21-2012, 9:26 PM
How much was the shipping to springer precision?

The only thing I added to my xd was a hogue grip which I think really improved the ergonomics. Now I am in the market for a trigger job and some new sights. I am going for a target rear with fiber optic front but it all depends on its use

CGT80
08-21-2012, 9:33 PM
Here is my limited gun. 2005 XD 40 service bit-tone. I shot it quite a bit in stock form. I use a bladetech holster and mag pouches and now use a CR Speed race belt. It now has: 9mm barsto barrel, bomar cut FO Dawson sights, 3.25 lbs trigger job that is extremely short travel, extended slide stop, extended mag release, pistolgear mag well, pistolgear slam pads on bottom of magazines, original recoil spring, and somewhere around 30k rounds of ammo through it.

As you become a better shooter (I don't know your skill level), you will appreciate a better trigger and controls that may be more suited to you. I don't regret any of the upgrades to my XD. Reloading is the way to go.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/CGT80/XD.jpg

My XD is in the middle of the pack as far as pistols go. The xd of course if upgraded, the other two are bone stock from the gun store. Yes, I love stainless and FO sights. I compete with the XD and play with the other two after the competitions.

Ruger Mk III Hunter with FO sights
XD Limited gun with FO sights (shown with 9mm hand loads)
Smith 460 XVR 8 3/8" with FO sights (shown with 460 home cast 273 grain HP bullets)

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/CGT80/460XDMKIII.jpg

PS. The brass stacker slide racker is great. I bought one for my mom's XD 9 service open gun (cmore, but no compensator). Her red dot mount covers the rear of the slide. She had problems racking the gun when it was just a limited gun. Now she loves her XD with the red dot and mount, trigger job, extended mag release, and slide racker. She uses a modified CR Speed holster and she is left handed, and I am right handed. She is running the original recoil spring with less than 10k rounds through the gun. We both use the same hand load for competition.

macxd
08-22-2012, 9:01 AM
Ammo, magazines, and range time. In no specific order. Nice firearm!

DIRTMAN556
08-22-2012, 9:27 PM
Got the same one a couple weeks ago. Rented one at the range and compared it against a Glock 22. Liked the way the XD 40 Service felt.

If you're interested in the 9mm barrel conversion. I purchased the EFK Firegragon 9mm conversion (http://www.efkfiredragon.com/xd-service-4-model-9-mm-conversion.html). Although I may have bought the last one currently in stock, since it says Out of Stock lol. Got a 9mm magazine, but have not had a chance to test it. Got the tip from the XD folks over at the XD Forums. There was mention of the EFK barrels being semi-drop in. Mine did just drop-in without any further modification and have racked some round through it. I'll report once I get out to the range.

Turner's had 9mm brass cased rounds for $13 bucks a box. .40 cal were $19 a box. 9mm is cheaper to shoot obviously.

BigfootHunter
08-23-2012, 8:45 AM
I love my XD (it's a 45 compact though). For my upgrades, I did a 4 day Frontsight course (find someone with a "Gray Certificate" to sell), I payed $80 for mine and took the class along side some people who payed the full pop $2K for the same class - they did get a "free" XD though :rolleyes:. For $80, the class is a steal - if I payed much more than that I would have been bummed. It's good for basic instruction/technique though and I think if you've never been to a class you would enjoy it. Some of the things they teach are "outdated" according to the high speed/low drag "operators" on the interwebs, and their recruiting system can be annoying if you are unable to ignore it or get on their do-not-call list. So YMMV.

After going through around 1000 rounds there I realized that the trigger reset was my main problem with the XD so I went with a Powder River Precision trigger kit (though I kept my factory springs) and I am very happy with it. I also ordered the upgraded striker pins from them and installed one (a preventative measure, as I never had a problem with the factory one).

I think it is also hard to beat a Streamlight TLR-3 (http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight-tlr3-led-weaponlight.html) especially when they're available so cheap.

For the class I used the XD Gear magazine pouches that came with my XD and a Fobus paddle holster, which was inexpensive and worked well. We used a handheld light for the class and I ordered a Raven concealment setup for the XD which didn't arrive in time. While I am very happy with it, unfortunately I ordered it before I bought the TLR-3, so I may put it up for sale and wait another 3 months to get one that will work with the light installed :(

Anyway, those are the modifications I did and I'm very happy with it. Take it out and shoot it, then decide!

DIRTMAN556
08-29-2012, 2:55 PM
Trigger reset isn't bad. Although I do not have extensive pistol experience.

I did however managed to get out to the range and try out the 9mm conversion barrel from EFK Firedragon. So far so good. It was a straight drop-in. Used with 9mm magazines.