PDA

View Full Version : What to do during a home invasion?

theme57
08-10-2012, 5:45 PM
SO my dad, sister and I are moving to Oak Park SoCal within a few months and I was thinking about what if someone does invade our home. I currently do not know a firearm since my Mom is too crazy to safely have a gun in the house. In the new place it will be easier, but my dad and sis want me to have a firearm I get in the garage (stupid I know), which I am not going to do. It has been a while since I looked at CA gun laws, but was wondering what storage would be best if I were to finally get a firearm. Safe, case or something else? Also am I legally able to keep it loaded for the storage option I get? Lastly what are the laws regarding defending myself in a home invasion role and what would you recommend a person to do?

scobun
08-10-2012, 6:06 PM
Home invasions are quick and violent. The only way to defend against one is to have systems in place to warn you that trouble is coming (dog, video surveillance, alarm, etc.) and have a firearm where you can get to it in seconds. I think that carrying a firearm inside your own home is probably the only way to really be prepared for one. Anything else would rely on a great deal of luck to be successful.

You are allowed to use deadly force if you are in reasonable fear of great bodily injury or death, or in reasonable fear of the same for another. This is a huge question to wrap your head around, and I would highly suggest taking a CCW course. This is covered in depth.

Fundamentals
08-10-2012, 6:07 PM
Do you have any kids with you?

Anyways, they will say get a safe and keep it in there, unloaded; most people do not do that, at least from what I have witnessed.
If a burglar enters your house, you may consider them a threat and dispose of them accordingly. Once they leave your house, you cannot shoot them.
- If you shoot them on the threshhold, hope you don't get any blood outside and drag the body inside. ;)
Get a dog, shepherds are known for being protective.
Make your house unappealing for invasion. Motion lights, fake visible camers (with the real ones hidden in the trees or through pinholes), a fence with a lock on it.
Get to know your neighbors so you can wtch out for them and vice versa.
Get a pepper spray gun with personal alarm and strobe light.
Additionally, get a mag light with ridges on the head of the light.

voiceofreason
08-10-2012, 6:23 PM
Home invasions are quick and violent. The only way to defend against one is to have systems in place to warn you that trouble is coming (dog, video surveillance, alarm, etc.) and have a firearm where you can get to it in seconds. I think that carrying a firearm inside your own home is probably the only way to really be prepared for one. Anything else would rely on a great deal of luck to be successful.

You are allowed to use deadly force if you are in reasonable fear of great bodily injury or death, or in reasonable fear of the same for another. This is a huge question to wrap your head around, and I would highly suggest taking a CCW course. This is covered in depth.

^^THIS^^

Especially in that you'll need some advanced notice if at all possible.

I've never been an advocate of carrying within one's own home, but my residence is particularly difficult for a home invasion.

One trainer I know advocates ALWAYS keeping a gun within reach whenever possible. I believe he is correct.

When things happen, it's usually very sudden and with precious little notice. Why be prepared only x% of the time?

When you lock your firearms, make sure you are the ONLY person that can access them. No other adults or kids should be able to get to them including family members and significant others.

In an emergency, only someone that owns/shoots/has training should be able to access a gun IMO.

plan A:
1. grab handgun, flashlight + sling pouch holding spare mags
2. pull pin on a high decibel personal alarm (about $12) to wake up EVERYONE in the house and let the intruder know it (other shooters grab gear)
3. call 911, don't have to talk over the alarm, just let the operator figure it out, from a landline, they should have your address
4. cover funnels/entrances with pistol

plan B:
1. grab handgun, flashlight + sling pouch holding spare mags
2. move to other bedroom of another shooter and wake up that shooter
3. cover funnels/entrances with pistol
4. other shooter grabs their gun, moves children, elderly, etc. into whatever safe room possible.
5. first shooter stays outside door of safe room to cover

I don't believe in staying inside a safe room as plan A, as drywall and doors don't stop incoming rounds.

Not saying these are the best ideas, just something to toss around

jyo
08-10-2012, 9:12 PM
A heavy metal security door, a fenced in yard with two or more large dogs and a couple of guns along with people who know how to use them will go a long way towards the prevention of you and yours being victimized. Plan ahead, be prepared and hope luck is on your side!

theme57
08-10-2012, 9:33 PM
1. I am 18, my dads in his mid 50s and my sister is 15, also a Boston Terrier that isnt a dog to alarm people or even bark. My dad and sister are a bit weary of even having a gun in the same room or in the house, but I know for a fact that they wouldnt really push to have me keep it out of my room.

2. We are renting a condo, so any modification to the doors or anything is really out of our reach and budget. Maybe later on, but this is a rental.

3. Likely I will have a shotgun, but can have a handgun under my name with my dads help, but I WILL have a flashlight on it.

4. My sister will be in the main room along with my dad since they like having access to the kitchen, but in a home invasion I am not sure what would happen.

SO from one of the posts you recommend keeping a loaded magazine (atm I assume it would be out of the gun) or loaded shotgun ready? Also whats the whole deal with the trigger locks? From what I understand if its not in a safe you need it on your firearm even if its in a bag or case.

As far as my game plan goes I assume that if someone did invade I would hear my dad and sister, if not I would still investigate with my whatever firearm I had safety on with my finger or thumb ready to disengage the safety and enter the main room cautiously. My main fear is my sis or dad being in the way of a possible threat or held as hostages if the intruder were armed. Any thoughts? I cant really build a plan with my sis and dad because then it causes them become fearful and or not want me to have a gun or some bs like that.

Coded-Dude
08-10-2012, 9:53 PM
If your family is uncomfortable with an easily accessible firearm in your home, I would suggest a small lock box...that only you know the code to. Preferably one that offers the easiest and fastest method of unlocking(don't buy a cheap one that is easy to crack) . Key and combination locks will slow down your ability to react. A shotgun is a great home defense weapon... Is there a particular reason you want a handgun?

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications device.

Arkangel
08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
First and foremost train as much as you can with whatever firearm you choose to get. I would recommend some tactical classes after the you get the basics down.

Remember that you will have only seconds to set your plan in motion. Real world encounters are fast and brutal. Your target may be moving, the lighting conditions may be less than optimal, you may be half asleep and once the adrenaline starts pumping you might suffer from something called auditory exclusion (among other things)

http://www.atlanticsignal.com/mh3/pages/tpoae.html

There are things you can do to try and remove the advantage that the intruder(s) have (element of surprise).

- Get a dog. Barking is not only a deterrent, but also an early warning system.

-Make your home a hard target. Surveillance systems, reinforced points of entry and good lighting can go a long way.

-Do what you can to keep the threat outside. All my friends and family know to call before they drop by for a visit, so unexpected knocks at the door immediately get my attention.

-Formulate a plan and practice it, your family may not like waking up at 3am to run an HD drill, but it is ultimately for their benefit.

-Have a gun nearby, I recommend carrying on your person while you are home ( gun is handy and access to it is basically just yourself).

-Minimize the steps you take to initiate your plan. Have someone else dial 911, have spare ammunition loaded and ready to carry, have a light handy (my HD handgun always has a light mounted on)

I hope this helps at lest in a small way, good luck and stay safe.

thenodnarb
08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
shotgun wall lock:
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/23/shotgun-lock.jpg

safe. keep it loaded. Fairly quick to access.

Burbur
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
You are not required to keep your guns locked or unloaded in your home. The only reason I lock some of my guns in a safe, is for security against thieves.

Defense weapons are severely handicapt, locked up, put away, unloaded or otherwise "made safe."

thenodnarb
08-10-2012, 10:29 PM
You are not required to keep your guns locked or unloaded in your home. The only reason I lock some of my guns in a safe, is for security against thieves.

Defense weapons are severely handicapt, locked up, put away, unloaded or otherwise "made safe."

handguns need to be locked when you aren't home. otherwise you are correct.

theme57
08-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Reason for wanting a handgun is I have wanted one for a while and in a HD role it seems it would be a good choice due to its size and such. A shotgun seems to be good too. At one point my sister wanted me to get a handgun, but am not sure if she still does. Either way I plan on having both at one point, but a shotgun will be in my hands quicker due to laws and restrictions and such.

As for locking down the home I doubt I would be able too unless I lived my myself and my family would became angry towards me if I ran a HD drill, my sister freaked out by a smoke alarm and is barely able to sleep soundly in the apt we live in so HD drills are really out of the question. Might be able to talk to them about something later though.

For carrying around the home do you guys recommend CC so my family doesnt panic or act odd knowing that I have a loaded gun on me? Also I hate to ask, but is it legal? CA is crazy with these laws and I cant keep up with most.

redcliff
08-11-2012, 12:27 AM

Care to provide a legal cite for this statement? I'm always interested in learning something new.

voiceofreason
08-11-2012, 4:06 AM
SO from one of the posts you recommend keeping a loaded magazine (atm I assume it would be out of the gun) or loaded shotgun ready? Also whats the whole deal with the trigger locks? From what I understand if its not in a safe you need it on your firearm even if its in a bag or case.

Yes, you can get a handgun through an intrafamilial transfer, but you're most likely better off just getting a shotgun on your own.

Would recommend staying AWAY from any kind of trigger lock.

Spend $120 and get a gun cabinet. A locked case will keep family and children from accessing, but a burglar will walk away with it.

A gun cabinet is not nearly as good as a sturdy heavy safe, but with a few heavy items on the bottom to help discourage it from being carried away by burglars (they WILL get it out the door if they really want it), it's far better than a trigger lock or just a locking case.

It can be moved easily with a dolly and a partner. It won't mar anything and can even be kept in an upstairs closet. Definite compromise from a safe, but it works better than anything short of a safe. If you only have one or 2 long guns in it, you will have some space to keep other semi-valuables in it as well. (I would assume you'll get a .22 rifle like a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 795 at some point soon)

It WILL affect your ability to get to it fast, but I'd recommend getting some type of combination lock or box (doesn't have to be expensive) to store the KEY to the cabinet and the handgun you'll own in 3 years.

A lot of money upfront, but untrained family members and stupid guests are the #1 threat IMHO (many people will disagree).

NOBODY should have access to your weapons unless you specifically want them to.

Don't trust your firearms to people that don't REALLY know how to use them. Very bad idea. If they feel strongly that they should have access to YOUR guns, have them get their own and/or take a few courses in the usage of that particular firearm.

blockfort
08-11-2012, 6:39 AM

I don't remember reading that rule either. I'd be curious to see it.

voiceofreason
08-11-2012, 6:52 AM
I don't remember reading that rule either. I'd be curious to see it.

Not a law, just smart.

If other people have access to your residence and you leave your guns available, stupidity may follow.

There IS a law if a child gains access to your gun. Bad situation all around.

Be a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner. Saving a few dollars because you're too cheap to lock up your guns may result in losses far greater than legal and monetary troubles.

That would be a great example of "Penny wise, pound foolish."

see section 6; VI

http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Sheriff-Coroner%20-%20Sandra%20Hutchens/Information/Sheriff%20Services/CCW%20License/Applicable%20Weapon%20Laws

redcliff
08-11-2012, 7:42 AM
Not a law, just smart.

If other people have access to your residence and you leave your guns available, stupidity may follow.

Be a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner. Saving a few dollars because you're too cheap to lock up your guns may result in losses far greater than legal and monetary troubles.

see section 6; VI

http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Sheriff-Coroner%20-%20Sandra%20Hutchens/Information/Sheriff%20Services/CCW%20License/Applicable%20Weapon%20Laws

Some of us don't have children enterring our homes, ever. Some of us may like a firearm more readily available when returning home than locked in an out of the way location in a safe. Some of us have our homes equipped with security systems and alarms. In these circumstanes I disagree an unlocked handgun is either stupid or foolish.

Part of the Heller case was the fact Washington DC required all firearms to be either disassembled or kept in a safe or trigger locked.

comblock
08-11-2012, 8:01 AM
Not a law, just smart.

see section 6; VI

Interesting concept. So if an underage punk and his friends decide to break into your home and find your handgun unlocked, would that be considered as " a child gaining access to your gun" and liability would then be yours if something bad were to happen?

Skipper
08-11-2012, 8:14 AM

http://carrabbahaus.com/images/edge2.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/banner/54123.jpg

VMCJ-3
08-11-2012, 8:15 AM
What to do during a home invasion?

(A) Lay down a withering field of fire.

(B) Reload.

(C) Repeat.

theme57
08-11-2012, 9:42 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I have a basic idea of what to do as far as setting up and such.

Fate
08-11-2012, 10:04 AM
handguns need to be locked when you aren't home.

This is a lie. There is no such requirement in the CA Penal Code.

Fate
08-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Interesting concept. So if an underage punk and his friends decide to break into your home and find your handgun unlocked, would that be considered as " a child gaining access to your gun" and liability would then be yours if something bad were to happen?

No. No liability for thieves/burglars.

Lifeon2whls
08-11-2012, 7:53 PM
If someone decided that my home needed invading, they would be graciously welcomed by this guy and he'd have a few things to say about why he doesn't like them being in HIS house.

The best part is that you don't need to get a trained K9 to get a great dog who will protect you and your family. We adopted both of ours and they have already kept one would be intruder out of our house...we did have a bit of a mess to clean up but we didnt mind :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/wopspice/19bf2d8f.jpg

(here is one of him getting ready for the range...)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/wopspice/060fb390.jpg

voiceofreason
08-11-2012, 8:25 PM

No.